Oklahoma bumps USU from the bubble ...

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
dogie

Oklahoma bumps USU from the bubble ...

Post by dogie » March 3rd, 2020, 9:16 pm

according to Lunardi. Just about all bubble teams won tonight (Purdue, Rutgers, Cincinnati). Going into the evening, Texas was the last team out and USU was the last team in.

Texas played at Oklahoma this evening, and the Sooners laid an egg at the end. They had a one-point lead with 20 second left and hit only one of two free throws. Texas then shot an air ball, Oklahoma rebounded and got fouled, and then missed both shots. Texas hit a three-point bank shot with 0.4 seconds to win it. Lunardi had said:
The most significant game of the night remains Texas at Oklahoma, where the Longhorns will move into the field and bump Utah State with a victory.

SwaggieAggie

Re: Oklahoma bumps USU from the bubble ...

Post by SwaggieAggie » March 3rd, 2020, 9:21 pm

I wouldn’t put too much hope in USU getting help from bubble teams losing. Especially when we’re competing against P5 bubble teams who get a Q1/top 25 opportunity each week to improve the resume.

Just got to focus on winning the tournament now.

FL350Aggie

Post by FL350Aggie » March 3rd, 2020, 9:42 pm

Yes, perform well in the tournament and they should get in. I was not impressed with Texas or Oklahoma tonight. They both looked bad. I also impressed with the Sooners crowd/student body. It’s a huge rivalry, and it was close but the crowd didn’t seem like much of a factor.

bpd

Post by bpd » March 3rd, 2020, 9:45 pm

Utah State has to win the tournament. The bubble is not weak this year. Bubble teams are winning tough road games, we lost to New Mexico. I hate the big conferences as much as anybody, but we can only blame ourselves. You want to win, you have to beat bad teams. NIT it is.
These users thanked the author bpd for the post (total 2):
aggies22flying_scotsman2.0

FL350Aggie

Post by FL350Aggie » March 3rd, 2020, 10:04 pm

Texas has a net ranking of 59!? After the Oklahoma win, maybe up to 50? Yet they bump USU, huh?

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » March 3rd, 2020, 10:06 pm

Net isn’t the only determining factor.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 4th, 2020, 7:19 am

I still like our chances if we can advance to the tourney title game so long as SDSU is our opponent there.

That said, I don’t have any confidence in our team getting that done. They’ve let me down way too much.

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » March 4th, 2020, 7:57 am

Our NET position didn’t even change. Teams shift around behind us and ahead of us but we are still 38. Nothing should have really changed. We are well ahead of Oklahoma and Texas. No way we should be bumped, not to say it won’t happen though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author scotlandog for the post:
MetsJetsAggies

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » March 4th, 2020, 9:13 am

scotlandog wrote:
March 4th, 2020, 7:57 am
Our NET position didn’t even change. Teams shift around behind us and ahead of us but we are still 38. Nothing should have really changed. We are well ahead of Oklahoma and Texas. No way we should be bumped, not to say it won’t happen though.

Unfortunately NET is only one of the metrics used by the committee and is likely considered substantially less than the "personal bias" metric.
These users thanked the author aceofspadeskb for the post:
sstrasser

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » March 4th, 2020, 9:41 am

If we don't win the tourney we will be a 9 loss team that isn't in a high major. If I just knew that info and nothing else about any other team- I'd think they'd be out.

cornia27

Post by cornia27 » March 4th, 2020, 10:06 am

Who is more reliable? Lunardi or Jerry Palm. Palm's latest projection has Aggies in the play in game as an 11 seed against Texas. I have noticed Palm has been higher on the Aggies than Lunardi. IMO (which isn't much) the Aggies need to make it to championship game and if it's against SDSU not lose by more than 5-6.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » March 4th, 2020, 10:10 am

Gota win it all

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » March 4th, 2020, 10:17 am

I just saw an NIT bracket posted a few days ago on mid major madness and it has us as a 2 seed playing Utah!!

Imagine Utah being forced to play in the Spectrum and having it be in the NIT! This would be pretty sweet tbh....

https://www.midmajormadness.com/2020/3/ ... utah-state
These users thanked the author ThunderAggie for the post (total 4):
flying_scotsman2.0thegreendalegelfaggies22Real Life Aggie

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » March 4th, 2020, 11:07 am

ThunderAggie wrote:
March 4th, 2020, 10:17 am
I just saw an NIT bracket posted a few days ago on mid major madness and it has us as a 2 seed playing Utah!!

Imagine Utah being forced to play in the Spectrum and having it be in the NIT! This would be pretty sweet tbh....

Obviously I want to the Aggies in the NCAA tournament as that is the tournament that matters. In the event we can't a home NIT game against Utah would be a fantastic consolation in my opinion. I imagine it would generate a lot of buzz with fans/students. Would be a fun game to attend. Would love nothing more than to beat the douche Krysto.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 6):
ThunderAggieaggies22Real Life AggieTrueBlueAggie123ProvoAggieUsu0505

Aggiewest

Post by Aggiewest » March 4th, 2020, 11:23 am

ThunderAggie wrote:

Utah is not a great team, but we have proved that we can lose to very mediocre teams. Can you imagine how disappointing it would be to end the season getting beat by Utah. Utah would be excited to be in the NIT and on the other hand USU would probably be disappointed not making the NCAA tournament. I don't know if I would be that excited just because of the down side of losing to Utah.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » March 4th, 2020, 12:26 pm

Aggiewest wrote:
March 4th, 2020, 11:23 am
ThunderAggie wrote:

Utah is not a great team, but we have proved that we can lose to very mediocre teams. Can you imagine how disappointing it would be to end the season getting beat by Utah. Utah would be excited to be in the NIT and on the other hand USU would probably be disappointed not making the NCAA tournament. I don't know if I would be that excited just because of the down side of losing to Utah.
Isn't that because of their inconsistency? They have a lot of talent, but they're young and can perform at drastically different levels. I don't follow them, but the impression I had was that they can play great at times and really challenge excellent opponents, but they can also get kicked around by pretty lackluster teams.

bwcrc

Post by bwcrc » March 4th, 2020, 12:43 pm

USU is probably very much on the bubble at this point. Make it to the MWC championship game and we are probably on the right side of the bubble, especially with a close loss to SDSU.

Two comments on the NIT bracket from the link above. First, utah is considered a bubble team for the NIT. Second, assuming USU wins that game against utah, USU would host either Oklahoma State or Notre Dame. How awesome would it be to have either of those two teams in the Spectrum?

Floppy Hat
Pick'em Champ - '15,'19 FB Predict the Score; '17 Kickoff; '18 Weekly; '19 Bowl
Has thanked: 0

Post by Floppy Hat » March 4th, 2020, 1:23 pm

Just saw on Twitter where Biden was doing an early reveal of the NIT field:

He has Oklahoma in the NIT.
These users thanked the author Floppy Hat for the post (total 2):
Aggie19Real Life Aggie

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » March 4th, 2020, 1:52 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
ThunderAggie wrote:

Obviously I want to the Aggies in the NCAA tournament as that is the tournament that matters. In the event we can't a home NIT game against Utah would be a fantastic consolation in my opinion. I imagine it would generate a lot of buzz with fans/students. Would be a fun game to attend. Would love nothing more than to beat the douche Krysto.
Agreed. Players would get up for that and crowd would be awesome

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » March 4th, 2020, 2:49 pm

Aggiewest wrote:
March 4th, 2020, 11:23 am
ThunderAggie wrote:

+1. I would rather the game not be against Utah and someone we aren't going to see otherwise, like Alabama who was in one projection. Or Notre Dame or Oklahoma State. I know Krysto won't play us, but there is a better chance of Utah having a different coach willing to play us than the other schools. And play Utah any year but this one, when we KNOW we aren't going to the NCAA's. Maybe even a year that Utah is on the bubble and just misses the NCAA's, even though a game would be there that year.

The problem is with us being a 1 seed, we are going to get an 8 seed excited to be there, but maybe an 8 seed would be a small conference regular season champion that is dejected about losing a close one in their tournament. And some of the small schools would be someone we don't get to see otherwise.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » March 4th, 2020, 3:02 pm

The NM and BSU losses were catastrophic to our at-large chances. Should have won both and let them get away.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » March 4th, 2020, 3:04 pm

bluegrouse wrote:
March 4th, 2020, 3:02 pm
The NM and BSU losses were catastrophic to our at-large chances. Should have won both and let them get away.
Add in the AF loss. Considering we are still in the hunt for an at large even makes it more frustrating that we lost all of them. Even one of those victories would have made a huge difference. We were ahead double digits in all 3 including 2 of them in the 2nd half.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » March 4th, 2020, 4:31 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
March 4th, 2020, 3:04 pm
bluegrouse wrote:
Add in the AF loss. Considering we are still in the hunt for an at large even makes it more frustrating that we lost all of them. Even one of those victories would have made a huge difference. We were ahead double digits in all 3 including 2 of them in the 2nd half.
And that's the big thing. It wouldn't be half as big of a deal to lose like that in down years when we know we suck, even at home. Who remembers the year we lost at home to Fresno after leading by 19? That for instance is easily forgotten cause the horse was out of the barn by the time that happened.

These three losses will easily survive the test of time over any similar losses that happen in future years, unless we are also similarly on the bubble in the future.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » March 4th, 2020, 4:52 pm

bwcrc wrote:
March 4th, 2020, 12:43 pm
USU is probably very much on the bubble at this point. Make it to the MWC championship game and we are probably on the right side of the bubble, especially with a close loss to SDSU.

Two comments on the NIT bracket from the link above. First, utah is considered a bubble team for the NIT. Second, assuming USU wins that game against utah, USU would host either Oklahoma State or Notre Dame. How awesome would it be to have either of those two teams in the Spectrum?
I would guess that it would be so awesome that about 7,500 people would show up and the student section filled to about 75% of is allotment.

Eutaw St. Aggie

FL350Aggie

Post by FL350Aggie » March 4th, 2020, 5:29 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
bluegrouse wrote:
Yes I agree the Air Force loss looks horrendous on their resume. The Donkey and Lobo games on paper, look competitive to teams around 100ish net. The Air Force game however just looks embarrassing. If the bubble pops, I believe it will be from that game.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 4th, 2020, 6:11 pm

Yeah my 2 cents and (I hope) that is all it is worth is that we have to win the tournament to get in. We have zero shot to improve our resume other than beat SDSU which of course would put us in the tournament anyway. Hopefully we get it done.

I wouldn't mind an NIT run if we took it seriously. If we were a 1 seed we could win 3 home games and go to New York which would be a great accomplishment regardless of what anyone says. However still hope for the big dance obviously.

Chupamedia

Post by Chupamedia » March 4th, 2020, 8:37 pm

Aggiewest wrote: Utah is not a great team, but we have proved that we can lose to very mediocre teams. Can you imagine how disappointing it would be to end the season getting beat by Utah. Utah would be excited to be in the NIT and on the other hand USU would probably be disappointed not making the NCAA tournament. I don't know if I would be that excited just because of the down side of losing to Utah.
If USU would be disappointed by not making the NCAA I think they would be delusional. If they don’t win the MW tourney the NIT is the most likely scenario. Getting a top seed would be awesome

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » March 4th, 2020, 8:51 pm

FL350Aggie wrote:
March 4th, 2020, 5:29 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
bluegrouse wrote:
Yes I agree the Air Force loss looks horrendous on their resume. The Donkey and Lobo games on paper, look competitive to teams around 100ish net. The Air Force game however just looks embarrassing. If the bubble pops, I believe it will be from that game.
The committee cares more how you are playing towards the end of the year than earlier. The Lobo game cause of the timing does more damage.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 4th, 2020, 8:58 pm

Chupamedia wrote:
March 4th, 2020, 8:37 pm
Aggiewest wrote: Utah is not a great team, but we have proved that we can lose to very mediocre teams. Can you imagine how disappointing it would be to end the season getting beat by Utah. Utah would be excited to be in the NIT and on the other hand USU would probably be disappointed not making the NCAA tournament. I don't know if I would be that excited just because of the down side of losing to Utah.
If USU would be disappointed by not making the NCAA I think they would be delusional. If they don’t win the MW tourney the NIT is the most likely scenario. Getting a top seed would be awesome
From where the season started and the expectations were there is going to be disappointment. However we have played like a NIT level team in the MW and that is where we deserve if we don't win the tournament. Would love to sneak in even if it is a play in game, but I just don't see it. I would also hope the team would be motivated to prove themselves and make it to New York. This wouldn't be like 2004 where the team thought they were a lock to be in the dance. They are certainly not a lock this year.

I doubt we play Utah if we end up in the NIT. I don't think they'll make it. They were a better team last year and missed the NIT. They still could have a losing record. They'll be underdogs against Colorado and might be underdogs in their first Pac 12 tourney game.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » March 4th, 2020, 10:17 pm

The scary thing is, one foe we might face in the NIT is someone we are familiar with facing somewhere we don't want to be that is smaller than we have hopes of being. After bad losses to Air Force and New Mexico as well as BYU*, after getting our hopes up with a big win against a ranked Blue and Orange team, but also starting the season with a close call against a Big Sky team! Just in a different sport!
The Akron Zips!

*I realize BYU wasn't a bad loss this year and wasn't what did the damage, though getting that win could have helped make up for the bad losses we have had, but there is another parallel in that BYU was a solid football team in 2015 and that getting that win would have made up for the rest of the year.

Locked Previous topicNext topic