Really? Eustachy working here?

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
troutputz
RIP

Really? Eustachy working here?

Post by troutputz » February 20th, 2020, 9:20 am

Larry Eustachy former Aggie basket ball coach and winner of the most lopsided victory over BYU in the Spectrum one year. Eustachy is working as a barista at Morgan’s grind in the library of the Colorado State University. He is required to take anger management classes. He resigned a few years ago amid investigation of conduct not becoming of a head coach. I didn’t know all this until I was wondering what happened to him? I just googled that and the Rocky Mtn. News had an article about him. He’s already had several complaints from customers who say they’ve been yelled out when they order. So, I guess it’s the Eustachy barista natzi aka the Seinfeld soup natzi!
Kind of sad really! Several past players have said. Kermit Davis Ole Miss coach has similar anger issues. Kermit was Eustachy assistant while at Utah State. Man we really had some great assistants when Eustachy was here, Davis, former head coach at Idaho, Boyd, who was USC’s head coach for years and was in the era when Wooden was winning all those championships with UCLA. USU had great assistants, like Dale Brown (LSU), Jim Harrick (Pepperdine, plus Rhode Island, plus UCLA - won National. Championship). My Ole Pop used to say the biggest mistake for Aggie basket ball was not hiring Dale Brown, Ladells assistant. Brown was responsible in recruiting the great Shaler Halimon, Marv Roberts, Nate Williams, and many others. Ladell recommenced Dale but Buss Williams ad had an ego problem and said I will hire who I want. So we got T L Plain a Kentucky assistant. T l stood for Too Late Plain. He was fired after two years, then comes Belnap, who couldn’t beat his alma mater, Weber State.

troutputz
RIP

Re: Really? Eustachy working here?

Post by troutputz » February 20th, 2020, 10:35 am

By the by, it was 1994 that we creamed the y. It was 83 to 59.
Silas Mills went bezerk.
Covington Cormier was unstoppable.

Damn it’s been way to long since we beat UC-Lone Peak Provo

Hopefully Pope will have a sense of fair play and play us in Logan every other year?

9 years since we last beat the y.........Ironically Rod Tueller beat them 9 times from 81 to 85, we played them twice a year back then!
Last edited by troutputz on February 20th, 2020, 10:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » February 20th, 2020, 10:40 am

Sounds like he could use something to calm him down a bit. Maybe a bourbon? Oh, wait...
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post (total 2):
NVAggiestewusu98

gomretat

Post by gomretat » February 20th, 2020, 4:44 pm

troutputz wrote:
February 20th, 2020, 10:35 am
By the by, it was 1994 that we creamed the y. It was 83 to 59.
Silas Mills went bezerk.
Covington Cormier was unstoppable.

Damn it’s been way to long since we beat UC-Lone Peak Provo

Hopefully Pope will have a sense of fair play and play us in Logan every other year?

9 years since we last beat the y.........Ironically Rod Tueller beat them 9 times from 81 to 85, we played them twice a year back then!
Beating the Cougies is way way overdue but wins will be tough against Pope et al. That is an outstanding group of coaches and they compliment each other very well. I would love to see what Burgess could do with Neemy. He is an outstanding big man coach.

gomretat

Post by gomretat » February 20th, 2020, 4:46 pm

troutputz wrote:
February 20th, 2020, 9:20 am
Larry Eustachy former Aggie basket ball coach and winner of the most lopsided victory over BYU in the Spectrum one year. Eustachy is working as a barista at Morgan’s grind in the library of the Colorado State University. He is required to take anger management classes. He resigned a few years ago amid investigation of conduct not becoming of a head coach. I didn’t know all this until I was wondering what happened to him? I just googled that and the Rocky Mtn. News had an article about him. He’s already had several complaints from customers who say they’ve been yelled out when they order. So, I guess it’s the Eustachy barista natzi aka the Seinfeld soup natzi!
Kind of sad really! Several past players have said. Kermit Davis Ole Miss coach has similar anger issues. Kermit was Eustachy assistant while at Utah State. Man we really had some great assistants when Eustachy was here, Davis, former head coach at Idaho, Boyd, who was USC’s head coach for years and was in the era when Wooden was winning all those championships with UCLA. USU had great assistants, like Dale Brown (LSU), Jim Harrick (Pepperdine, plus Rhode Island, plus UCLA - won National. Championship). My Ole Pop used to say the biggest mistake for Aggie basket ball was not hiring Dale Brown, Ladells assistant. Brown was responsible in recruiting the great Shaler Halimon, Marv Roberts, Nate Williams, and many others. Ladell recommenced Dale but Buss Williams ad had an ego problem and said I will hire who I want. So we got T L Plain a Kentucky assistant. T l stood for Too Late Plain. He was fired after two years, then comes Belnap, who couldn’t beat his alma mater, Weber State.
I thought Dutch was a very good coach so your comments surprised me. Just looked this up:

"As Utah State's head basketball coach, Belnap led the Aggies to three postseason appearances, playing in the 1975 and 1979 NCAA Tournaments, along with the 1978 National Invitation Tournament. In all, Belnap's teams never had a losing record and two of his teams notched 20 wins as the 1974-75 team went 21-6, while the 1977-78 team went 21-7. In fact, USU's 21-6 record during the 1974-75 campaign was the second-best mark in school history at the time and Belnap was honored by being named the National Association of Basketball Coaches District Seven Coach of the Year. Furthermore, the 1974-75 team won a then-school record 13 straight games and finished the season ranked 13th in the final United Press International Board of Coaches Poll. USU's 1977-78 team also finished the season in the nation's top 20, ranking 17th in the UPI Board of Coaches Poll as that team set the then-school record for shooting in a season at 51.1 percent. In his final season as USU's head men's basketball coach, Belnap led the Aggies to a 19-11 record and another NCAA Tournament appearance in their first year as a member of the Pacific Coast Athletic Association, as they tied for second in the league and had three players garner all-conference honors. During his head coaching tenure, Belnap coached five players who were drafted into the NBA, along with another player who set the school record for assists with 562, a record that still stands today. He is also one of just three head coaches to post an undefeated home season as his 1973-74 club went a perfect 14-0 at home. Belnap's teams also won the Old Oquirrh Bucket in 1975 and 1976, and his teams combined to post a 9-3 record against BYU."
These users thanked the author gomretat for the post:
lionhead

Sl7vk

Post by Sl7vk » February 20th, 2020, 6:33 pm

That article was an onion like satire piece.
Eustachy is counting his dollars somewhere.
These users thanked the author Sl7vk for the post:
GaryTakeTheWheel

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » February 20th, 2020, 7:17 pm

Some people will believe anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author Usu0505 for the post:
GaryTakeTheWheel

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » February 21st, 2020, 11:02 am

Trout, my Aggie brother: you've been had. Here's the article I think you saw. Please read closely the editor's note.

But I get you: the best satire is the easiest to believe.

Nobody here knows anything.

troutputz
RIP

Post by troutputz » February 21st, 2020, 1:17 pm

Belnap still was 8 and 8 against Weber. At the time a lot of us Aggie fans were upset that we even lost to Weber. There was a stretch in Belnap time that he lost to Weber 2 years in a row. We played them twice a year then. He got the reputation that he couldn’t beat Weber. After all he was 9-3 against the y, so only 8-8 against Weber just rubbed us wrong.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » February 21st, 2020, 1:23 pm

troutputz wrote:
February 21st, 2020, 1:17 pm
Belnap still was 8 and 8 against Weber. At the time a lot of us Aggie fans were upset that we even lost to Weber. There was a stretch in Belnap time that he lost to Weber 2 years in a row. We played them twice a year then. He got the reputation that he couldn’t beat Weber. After all he was 9-3 against the y, so only 8-8 against Weber just rubbed us wrong.
Weber State had a run of great coach's, and played very good basketball. I believe the first game we played with them was a loss in the spectrum with La Dell as our head coach.

troutputz
RIP

Post by troutputz » February 21st, 2020, 1:40 pm

Your right Oleblue. It was the first time we faced them that they were not a Junior College.
Our students had signs that read: “Weber Who” and “Willie Who”. Willie Sojourner was their Center that was so good, and their quick guard was Justice Thigpin. The SLC Trib headlines the next day, read: Utah State finds out WHO Weber is and who Willie is. Sat with my Pop in our season tickets section X row 15. My Pop was so mad that we lost to Weber. Was Dick Motts Weber’s coach then or was it Phil Johnson? Phil played for Ladell during the Estes era.

I looked it up and it was Phil Johnson as Weber’s coach then. We lost that game at home 63 to 62. In fact, the next year in the Spectrum we lost to Weber again 67 to 65. However, that same year we beat Weber in Ogden 69 to 67. Those games were close. Phil Johnson was Weber’s coach for just 3 years. He coached 1969 to 1971. He took Weber to the NCAA all 3 years he coached Weber. He then went as assistant with Dick Motts at Chicago Bulls.

My wife and I went to a game in Ogden about 1976. My Sister lived right behind the Dee Burger- Weber’s arena, they got us tickets and were big Weber fans. To this day my wife hates Weber. Their fans were the rudest fans I have ever witnessed until I went to a byu game in Provo. The Weber fans were yelling obscenities at my wife the whole game. My wife was just cheering for our Ags. My sister never invited us to a game down there again. When we had big sky refs in Ogden we always got screwed big time. Especially if we had a ref by the name of Bernie Machen. Anyone remember him? He hated Utah State and it showed. A little like Ole Moose Stubbin reffing the BYU games always in Provo. Personally I was always glad to see Irv Brown reffing.
Last edited by troutputz on February 21st, 2020, 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » February 21st, 2020, 2:06 pm

I liked Irv Brown, he was a cool ref for sure talking with students under our basket was great. I honestly though Weber had better coach's than what we had quite often back in the day.

gomretat

Post by gomretat » February 21st, 2020, 2:40 pm

I didn't remember that Dutch couldn't beat Weber but I do remember how good they were year in and year out. Weber did have a run of very good coaches. Neil McCarthy won a lot of games there though he was not someone I cared for at all. Never liked coaches who are screamers.

troutputz
RIP

Post by troutputz » February 21st, 2020, 4:52 pm

Neil Macarthy came out of the visiting tunnel before the game, he was coaching New Mexico State then. Us die hard front three row students were in full force. Neil was smoking a cigarette right there on the edge of the Spectrum floor.
CDAAG’s brother Rob hollored, hey Neil there’s no smoking in the Spectrum! Neil just gave us the finger and said f——- you! He hated coming to Logan!

What was the deal with Macarthy one year when there was some tennis ball incident? I missed that game and have never really heard about the details? Anyone?

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » February 21st, 2020, 5:19 pm

At least he’s not an alcoholic anymore

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

freakboy

Post by freakboy » February 21st, 2020, 6:30 pm

drugs are a powerful drug

Locked Previous topicNext topic