Our NCAA Tourney struggles

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Madmartigan
Posts: 2690
Joined: November 19th, 2010, 11:30 pm
Has thanked: 124 times
Been thanked: 193 times

Our NCAA Tourney struggles

Post by Madmartigan » February 18th, 2020, 9:27 am

USU has made the tourney an awful lot with limited success. Some over at the MW board have posited it is due to our lack of athleticism. We have wins over two fairly athletic teams this year: LSU and Florida. What are the reasons we can't seem to win tourney games consistently?
These users thanked the author Madmartigan for the post:
Aglicious



User avatar
Aglicious
Site Admin
Posts: 5224
Joined: January 14th, 2004, 12:00 am
Location: Vega$
Has thanked: 159 times
Been thanked: 355 times

Re: Our NCAA Tourney struggles

Post by Aglicious » February 18th, 2020, 9:45 am

Lack of athleticism.

Okay, I am only half joking but.... I think the #1 factor is lack of strong PG play. The NCAA tourney is traditionally owned by teams that have superior guard play. Teams that either have one super guard (ala Ja Morant) or teams that have multiple guard options that more equally share duties are the ones that win.

Not having one means you have no counter attack to extended pressure and no way to break down a defense when the clock becomes a factor. I'm not saying you can't win a game or two without elite PG play but it takes the right match up to be able to slip by an opponent without it. Eventually though, teams without it are eliminated.

This is one of the reasons I give SDSU a good chance to win a couple of games in the tourney. I really don't think their supporting cast is all that great or even as good as some of the teams that they happened to beat early in the year like Creighton but they have really good guard play between Feagin and Flynn which gives them a good shot.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post (total 2):
aggies22utaggies



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 8785
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 3681 times
Been thanked: 1921 times
Contact:

Re: Our NCAA Tourney struggles

Post by aggies22 » February 18th, 2020, 9:46 am

Madmartigan wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 9:27 am
USU has made the tourney an awful lot with limited success. Some over at the MW board have posited it is due to our lack of athleticism. We have wins over two fairly athletic teams this year: LSU and Florida. What are the reasons we can't seem to win tourney games consistently?
In the past, it has been a lack of athleticism and lack of experience playing against NCAA tournament type of talent. Stew ran from games like that and avoided them like the plague. It allowed him to pad his overall win total each year, only to not have it matter come Selection Sunday. Tim Duryea scored games against a couple of big-name opponents. Coach Craig Smith embraces the challenge of playing against teams like that. This year with wins against LSU and Florida and having played against San Diego State (at least twice), St. Mary's and byu :x . This team is battle-tested like never before and has seen first hand what it takes to WIN games against top talent but also what NOT to allow to happen when playing good teams.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
Real Life Aggie



utaggies
Posts: 3887
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:25 pm
Has thanked: 91 times
Been thanked: 123 times

Re: Our NCAA Tourney struggles

Post by utaggies » February 18th, 2020, 9:50 am

Here’s my 2-cents worth. Warning — my thoughts may not actually be worth that much.

1. We have always been in a conference that usually only gets a couple (or less) NCAA bids. Thus our marquee wins to earn some committee love have needed to come OOC and usually on the home court of pretty tough competition. The result is that we lack a resume that allows us to get a decent NCAA seed and we enter our first-round game as an underdog and we fulfill our role admirably.

2. Because of our general inability to match up with the athleticism of other teams in the NCAA we play overly conservatively. Princeton has gotten away with it a few times in the NCAAs but we have not. The underdogs that have had some success in the NCAAs have played a more “balls to the wall” brand of basketball. Yeah you’ve got to play within yourself but don’t play not to lose but to win.

Having stated this, last year the stars had aligned for us against Washington and we simply blew it. We had a decent seed against an opponent where the game was winnable and we crapped out.
These users thanked the author utaggies for the post (total 2):
aggies22Madmartigan



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 8785
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 3681 times
Been thanked: 1921 times
Contact:

Re: Our NCAA Tourney struggles

Post by aggies22 » February 18th, 2020, 9:51 am

Madmartigan wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 9:27 am
USU has made the tourney an awful lot with limited success. Some over at the MW board have posited it is due to our lack of athleticism. We have wins over two fairly athletic teams this year: LSU and Florida. What are the reasons we can't seem to win tourney games consistently?
Great topic by the way. This is something that hasn't been beaten to death. At least this year anyway. :lol:
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
Aglicious



User avatar
2004AG
Posts: 5740
Joined: November 16th, 2010, 11:42 am
Has thanked: 91 times
Been thanked: 234 times

Re: Our NCAA Tourney struggles

Post by 2004AG » February 18th, 2020, 10:15 am

Our seeding has always been double digits, with the exception of last year.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



Madmartigan
Posts: 2690
Joined: November 19th, 2010, 11:30 pm
Has thanked: 124 times
Been thanked: 193 times

Re: Our NCAA Tourney struggles

Post by Madmartigan » February 18th, 2020, 10:24 am

2004AG wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 10:15 am
Our seeding has always been double digits, with the exception of last year.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
True. I was in denial of this when Stew was coach, but his scheduling strategy really hurt our chances at success. Some of those teams between 07-2011 could have won a game or two in the tourney with better scheduling and hence better seeding.



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 8785
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 3681 times
Been thanked: 1921 times
Contact:

Re: Our NCAA Tourney struggles

Post by aggies22 » February 18th, 2020, 10:30 am

Madmartigan wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 10:24 am
2004AG wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 10:15 am
Our seeding has always been double digits, with the exception of last year.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
True. I was in denial of this when Stew was coach, but his scheduling strategy really hurt our chances at success. Some of those teams between 07-2011 could have won a game or two in the tourney with better scheduling and hence better seeding.
Had Stew actually challenged his teams, they may have had an extra 2 or 3 losses per year but perhaps they may have a won a couple of tough games also. It didn't really matter, rotting in the Big West and the late stages of the WAC meant one thing, win the Conference Tournament or stay home. At least the guys would have been battle-tested rather than have the best team they faced that season be their first-round opponent.
Last edited by aggies22 on February 18th, 2020, 10:42 am, edited 3 times in total.



Aggiesbleedblue
Posts: 212
Joined: March 4th, 2012, 10:32 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: Our NCAA Tourney struggles

Post by Aggiesbleedblue » February 18th, 2020, 10:40 am

We have yet to get a matchup against a non P-5 which makes it tough. Meanwhile teams like BYU or SDSU have had matchups against teams like Wofford, Houston, etc. A matchup against, say, Houston, Wichita St or Cincinnati would be ideal for us



WannabeAgAlum
Posts: 99
Joined: November 15th, 2012, 6:48 pm
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 31 times

Re: Our NCAA Tourney struggles

Post by WannabeAgAlum » February 18th, 2020, 10:48 am

Seeding like others have said. I think that is the main reason.

Remember that one year we lost to Kansas I think by like 3? They went pretty deep as I recall.



brian5562
Posts: 1426
Joined: November 18th, 2010, 8:08 am
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 74 times

Re: Our NCAA Tourney struggles

Post by brian5562 » February 18th, 2020, 10:48 am

The game USU should have won is the one against Kansas State. You had a senior led team with a pg that had a very strong year. Team came out shell shocked.



User avatar
hipsterdoofus21
Posts: 15706
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:39 pm
Has thanked: 346 times
Been thanked: 884 times

Re: Our NCAA Tourney struggles

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » February 18th, 2020, 10:49 am

Seeding.

Our best performances in the last 20 years came with Rock, Mark Brown, and Quayle running the point. That’s not a coincidence. Guard play is key.

We have to shoot better. The 3 pt shot is the great equalizer.



FloridaAggie13
Posts: 7335
Joined: August 22nd, 2011, 2:18 pm
Has thanked: 400 times
Been thanked: 218 times

Re: Our NCAA Tourney struggles

Post by FloridaAggie13 » February 18th, 2020, 10:54 am

Athleticism at the guard position and a chip on their shoulder. No secret that Stew's cupcake schedule didn't get his teams battle tested and it led to a double-digit seed against a good team. Stew's teams also always seemed to come out of the gate really tentative and by the time they cut loose they were down too far.

The win against OSU was with guys that played with a chip on their shoulder and embraced the moment and had athletic guard play. Much of the same team almost upset Kansas the following year. The 2008-2009 team had a similar makeup and came close but blew the lead to Marquette at the end.



User avatar
Real Life Aggie
Posts: 696
Joined: April 10th, 2019, 4:28 pm
Location: North Ogden, UT
Has thanked: 834 times
Been thanked: 359 times

Re: Our NCAA Tourney struggles

Post by Real Life Aggie » February 18th, 2020, 10:58 am

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 10:54 am
Athleticism at the guard position and a chip on their shoulder. No secret that Stew's cupcake schedule didn't get his teams battle tested and it led to a double-digit seed against a good team. Stew's teams also always seemed to come out of the gate really tentative and by the time they cut loose they were down too far.

The win against OSU was with guys that played with a chip on their shoulder and embraced the moment and had athletic guard play. Much of the same team almost upset Kansas the following year. The 2008-2009 team had a similar makeup and came close but blew the lead to Marquette at the end.
That was one of the most disappointing losses that I can remember.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post:
utaggies



User avatar
SweepDance
Posts: 397
Joined: February 7th, 2011, 12:18 pm
Location: Sandy, UT
Has thanked: 68 times
Been thanked: 88 times

Re: Our NCAA Tourney struggles

Post by SweepDance » February 18th, 2020, 11:15 am

I agree that seeding is a huge part of it but as others have mentioned the play hasn't been all that bad, it just hasn't translated into wins--they've come close several times.

Personally I'm not that concerned with the struggles of the past. Different coach, different players, different style of basketball. I optimistic we can win there and am not concerned either about the one game sample size of Coach Smith.



gomretat
Posts: 587
Joined: November 27th, 2013, 10:16 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 23 times

Re: Our NCAA Tourney struggles

Post by gomretat » February 18th, 2020, 11:21 am

Completely agree with the sentiment that the scheduling strategy has been the biggest problem. We had some teams that could have won some games but they had never played the kind of competition we faced in round 1. And better scheduling would greatly increase the odds of better seeding.
Last edited by gomretat on February 18th, 2020, 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.



BiocatAg
Posts: 202
Joined: November 6th, 2010, 2:35 pm
Location: Tuscaloosa, AL
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: Our NCAA Tourney struggles

Post by BiocatAg » February 18th, 2020, 12:11 pm

WannabeAgAlum wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 10:48 am
Seeding like others have said. I think that is the main reason.

Remember that one year we lost to Kansas I think by like 3? They went pretty deep as I recall.
Kansas lost to Syracuse in the championship game that year. Pretty sure it was 2003.



Usu0505
Posts: 544
Joined: March 12th, 2018, 6:51 pm
Has thanked: 144 times
Been thanked: 90 times

Re: Our NCAA Tourney struggles

Post by Usu0505 » February 18th, 2020, 1:18 pm

brian5562 wrote:The game USU should have won is the one against Kansas State. You had a senior led team with a pg that had a very strong year. Team came out shell shocked.
It was Kansas in 2002 or 2003. They made it to the national championship. Desmond Penigar had a 3 to tie it at the buzzer but missed.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



User avatar
Aglicious
Site Admin
Posts: 5224
Joined: January 14th, 2004, 12:00 am
Location: Vega$
Has thanked: 159 times
Been thanked: 355 times

Re: Our NCAA Tourney struggles

Post by Aglicious » February 18th, 2020, 1:27 pm

Usu0505 wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 1:18 pm
brian5562 wrote:The game USU should have won is the one against Kansas State. You had a senior led team with a pg that had a very strong year. Team came out shell shocked.
It was Kansas in 2002 or 2003. They made it to the national championship. Desmond Penigar had a 3 to tie it at the buzzer but missed.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It was 2003 and both Penigar and Butler had shots at a 3pt to tie on the final possession.
Can watch it here:



User avatar
Real Life Aggie
Posts: 696
Joined: April 10th, 2019, 4:28 pm
Location: North Ogden, UT
Has thanked: 834 times
Been thanked: 359 times

Re: Our NCAA Tourney struggles

Post by Real Life Aggie » February 18th, 2020, 1:37 pm

Hey 2003:

Image
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post:
ViAggie



NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.
Posts: 16365
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:09 am
Location: Where the sagebrush grows!
Has thanked: 745 times
Been thanked: 685 times

Re: Our NCAA Tourney struggles

Post by NVAggie » February 18th, 2020, 1:44 pm

Great question:

2003 vs. Kansas (2-15) - We were down by 4 at half. Went back and forth with the runner up that year. If Ross and Butler shoot better than 25% (5-20) we win. Kansas wins 64-61

2005 vs. Arizona (3-14) - Up 3 at the half. We didn't shoot very well but were serviceable. Arizona came out very aggressive in the 2nd half. Didn't shoot a lot of 3s and had a lot of foul shots. We didn't shoot much better while they shot over 50%. We may have a chance if Spencer Nelson doesn't shoot 1-7 from the field. Matteus wasn't much better shooting 2-10. Many said Spencer was not feeling well that game. Arizona wins 66-53

These two games I feel that we were just over-matched by very talented teams. We competed well, but just didn't have the horses.

2006 vs. Washington (5-12) - Down 9 at half. We shot poorly in the first half (33%, 0-6 from 3). Washington stifled us with their defense forcing 22 turnovers (they had 7). We shot better the second half, but so did Washington. We didn't handle their defense very well. Washington wins 75-61

This game could go either way. I feel that we were completely overwhelmed by the Washington athletes. We did settle down offensively a bit, but were never really in the game.

2009 vs. Marquette (6-11) - Down 8 at the half and only scored 18 points. Very poor shooting (31%, 1-8 from three). We came alive in the second half. Shot 52% (6-15 from three). We were out-rebounded in this game 32-26. Free throws were 6-8 us and 19-23 them. Down the stretch, they called a lot of fouls on us. At 4:13 left in the game, USU was up by 4. They called 7 fouls on USU (3 of which were end of the game type fouls). Marquette shot 11-14 from the foul line to end the game. They had two offensive boards leading to 4 points as well. Not blaming the refs, and I haven't watch this game since the loss, but that is quite a discrepancy. Marquette wins 58-57.

2010 vs. Texas A&M (5-12) - Down 13 at half. A&M was on fire the first half. Shot 57% from the field (6-12 from 3). They cooled down in the second half. Our shooting went from bad to worse. Pooh and Quayle shot poorly ( 7-25). Tai did his thing (7-11 shooting). We didn't get the ball in to him enough the second half. We never really cut into their lead either. We just weren't aggressive enough and didn't shoot well. TAMU wins 69-53

2011 vs. Kansas State (5-12) - Down 11 at half. We lost touch with them during the last 10 minutes of the first going from 15-13 to 33-22. We were out-physical-ed and out-hustled in the first half. We settled down in the second half and played well. We were the upset special at 30-3 at the 5-12 match-up. This ended a three year stretch of coming out overwhelmed before settling in and competing well. KSU wins 73-68

This was probably the most disappointing stretch. We had the horses, but were not prepared to compete due to poor schedule. This is the stretch that showed Stew was getting long in the tooth. It should have been a special stretch, but our guys looked ill-prepared.

2019 - I believe this is fresh on our minds. We didn't have any experience in the tournament and were a young team. Sam struggled with the defensive pressure. I didn't like the game plan. We crawled back into the game, but ran out of gas. Washington wasn't a great team, we just folded under their pressure.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
aggies22



brian5562
Posts: 1426
Joined: November 18th, 2010, 8:08 am
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 74 times

Re: Our NCAA Tourney struggles

Post by brian5562 » February 18th, 2020, 1:54 pm

Usu0505 wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 1:18 pm
brian5562 wrote:The game USU should have won is the one against Kansas State. You had a senior led team with a pg that had a very strong year. Team came out shell shocked.
It was Kansas in 2002 or 2003. They made it to the national championship. Desmond Penigar had a 3 to tie it at the buzzer but missed.

The game in 2003 vs Kansas was disappointing but we were a 15 seed and played so close. The 2011 game against kansas state was more disappointing to me because I expected a team with seniors making their 3rd straight trip to the dance to play better and even win.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 8785
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 3681 times
Been thanked: 1921 times
Contact:

Re: Our NCAA Tourney struggles

Post by aggies22 » February 18th, 2020, 2:18 pm

NVAggie wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 1:44 pm
Great question:

2003 vs. Kansas (2-15) - We were down by 4 at half. Went back and forth with the runner up that year. If Ross and Butler shoot better than 25% (5-20) we win. Kansas wins 64-61

2005 vs. Arizona (3-14) - Up 3 at the half. We didn't shoot very well but were serviceable. Arizona came out very aggressive in the 2nd half. Didn't shoot a lot of 3s and had a lot of foul shots. We didn't shoot much better while they shot over 50%. We may have a chance if Spencer Nelson doesn't shoot 1-7 from the field. Matteus wasn't much better shooting 2-10. Many said Spencer was not feeling well that game. Arizona wins 66-53

These two games I feel that we were just over-matched by very talented teams. We competed well, but just didn't have the horses.

2006 vs. Washington (5-12) - Down 9 at half. We shot poorly in the first half (33%, 0-6 from 3). Washington stifled us with their defense forcing 22 turnovers (they had 7). We shot better the second half, but so did Washington. We didn't handle their defense very well. Washington wins 75-61

This game could go either way. I feel that we were completely overwhelmed by the Washington athletes. We did settle down offensively a bit, but were never really in the game.

2009 vs. Marquette (6-11) - Down 8 at the half and only scored 18 points. Very poor shooting (31%, 1-8 from three). We came alive in the second half. Shot 52% (6-15 from three). We were out-rebounded in this game 32-26. Free throws were 6-8 us and 19-23 them. Down the stretch, they called a lot of fouls on us. At 4:13 left in the game, USU was up by 4. They called 7 fouls on USU (3 of which were end of the game type fouls). Marquette shot 11-14 from the foul line to end the game. They had two offensive boards leading to 4 points as well. Not blaming the refs, and I haven't watch this game since the loss, but that is quite a discrepancy. Marquette wins 58-57.

2010 vs. Texas A&M (5-12) - Down 13 at half. A&M was on fire the first half. Shot 57% from the field (6-12 from 3). They cooled down in the second half. Our shooting went from bad to worse. Pooh and Quayle shot poorly ( 7-25). Tai did his thing (7-11 shooting). We didn't get the ball in to him enough the second half. We never really cut into their lead either. We just weren't aggressive enough and didn't shoot well. TAMU wins 69-53

2011 vs. Kansas State (5-12) - Down 11 at half. We lost touch with them during the last 10 minutes of the first going from 15-13 to 33-22. We were out-physical-ed and out-hustled in the first half. We settled down in the second half and played well. We were the upset special at 30-3 at the 5-12 match-up. This ended a three year stretch of coming out overwhelmed before settling in and competing well. KSU wins 73-68

This was probably the most disappointing stretch. We had the horses, but were not prepared to compete due to poor schedule. This is the stretch that showed Stew was getting long in the tooth. It should have been a special stretch, but our guys looked ill-prepared.

2019 - I believe this is fresh on our minds. We didn't have any experience in the tournament and were a young team. Sam struggled with the defensive pressure. I didn't like the game plan. We crawled back into the game, but ran out of gas. Washington wasn't a great team, we just folded under their pressure.
Great breakdown my Aggie brother!



User avatar
newhouse9
Posts: 2302
Joined: January 11th, 2011, 2:58 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 101 times

Re: Our NCAA Tourney struggles

Post by newhouse9 » February 18th, 2020, 3:58 pm

I'm in a hotel room in Boise, working, and watched that replay...I'm in here freaking out, thinking we are going to beat Kansas. Even though I knew we didn't. But I thought we had a chance!!!
These users thanked the author newhouse9 for the post:
aggies22



Yossarian
Posts: 2843
Joined: November 14th, 2010, 11:56 pm
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 189 times

Re: Our NCAA Tourney struggles

Post by Yossarian » February 18th, 2020, 4:01 pm

NVAggie wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 1:44 pm
Great question:

2003 vs. Kansas (2-15) - We were down by 4 at half. Went back and forth with the runner up that year. If Ross and Butler shoot better than 25% (5-20) we win. Kansas wins 64-61

2005 vs. Arizona (3-14) - Up 3 at the half. We didn't shoot very well but were serviceable. Arizona came out very aggressive in the 2nd half. Didn't shoot a lot of 3s and had a lot of foul shots. We didn't shoot much better while they shot over 50%. We may have a chance if Spencer Nelson doesn't shoot 1-7 from the field. Matteus wasn't much better shooting 2-10. Many said Spencer was not feeling well that game. Arizona wins 66-53

These two games I feel that we were just over-matched by very talented teams. We competed well, but just didn't have the horses.

2006 vs. Washington (5-12) - Down 9 at half. We shot poorly in the first half (33%, 0-6 from 3). Washington stifled us with their defense forcing 22 turnovers (they had 7). We shot better the second half, but so did Washington. We didn't handle their defense very well. Washington wins 75-61

This game could go either way. I feel that we were completely overwhelmed by the Washington athletes. We did settle down offensively a bit, but were never really in the game.

2009 vs. Marquette (6-11) - Down 8 at the half and only scored 18 points. Very poor shooting (31%, 1-8 from three). We came alive in the second half. Shot 52% (6-15 from three). We were out-rebounded in this game 32-26. Free throws were 6-8 us and 19-23 them. Down the stretch, they called a lot of fouls on us. At 4:13 left in the game, USU was up by 4. They called 7 fouls on USU (3 of which were end of the game type fouls). Marquette shot 11-14 from the foul line to end the game. They had two offensive boards leading to 4 points as well. Not blaming the refs, and I haven't watch this game since the loss, but that is quite a discrepancy. Marquette wins 58-57.

2010 vs. Texas A&M (5-12) - Down 13 at half. A&M was on fire the first half. Shot 57% from the field (6-12 from 3). They cooled down in the second half. Our shooting went from bad to worse. Pooh and Quayle shot poorly ( 7-25). Tai did his thing (7-11 shooting). We didn't get the ball in to him enough the second half. We never really cut into their lead either. We just weren't aggressive enough and didn't shoot well. TAMU wins 69-53

2011 vs. Kansas State (5-12) - Down 11 at half. We lost touch with them during the last 10 minutes of the first going from 15-13 to 33-22. We were out-physical-ed and out-hustled in the first half. We settled down in the second half and played well. We were the upset special at 30-3 at the 5-12 match-up. This ended a three year stretch of coming out overwhelmed before settling in and competing well. KSU wins 73-68

This was probably the most disappointing stretch. We had the horses, but were not prepared to compete due to poor schedule. This is the stretch that showed Stew was getting long in the tooth. It should have been a special stretch, but our guys looked ill-prepared.

2019 - I believe this is fresh on our minds. We didn't have any experience in the tournament and were a young team. Sam struggled with the defensive pressure. I didn't like the game plan. We crawled back into the game, but ran out of gas. Washington wasn't a great team, we just folded under their pressure.

I would add this to your write-up of the Kansas game - If Spencer Nelson wasn't so sick that he was vomiting into a bucket during every time out, USU wins that game. He was playing on fumes. You made mention of him being sick in the Arizona game - I remember as the Kansas game. Was this also the game he tried to dribble behind his back in traffic on a fast break and lost the ball?



Intermeddler
Posts: 1825
Joined: January 20th, 2011, 7:35 pm
Location: North Salt Lake
Has thanked: 151 times
Been thanked: 125 times

Re: Our NCAA Tourney struggles

Post by Intermeddler » February 18th, 2020, 4:04 pm

I think Quayle fouled out of the Marquette game with like 90 seconds left or so and that doomed our chances.



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 8785
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 3681 times
Been thanked: 1921 times
Contact:

Re: Our NCAA Tourney struggles

Post by aggies22 » February 18th, 2020, 4:09 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 4:04 pm
I think Quayle fouled out of the Marquette game with like 90 seconds left or so and that doomed our chances.
There may have been more time left than that but I agree, it all went downhill from there.



Usu0505
Posts: 544
Joined: March 12th, 2018, 6:51 pm
Has thanked: 144 times
Been thanked: 90 times

Re: Our NCAA Tourney struggles

Post by Usu0505 » February 18th, 2020, 5:21 pm

aggies22 wrote:
NVAggie wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 1:44 pm
Great question:

2003 vs. Kansas (2-15) - We were down by 4 at half. Went back and forth with the runner up that year. If Ross and Butler shoot better than 25% (5-20) we win. Kansas wins 64-61

2005 vs. Arizona (3-14) - Up 3 at the half. We didn't shoot very well but were serviceable. Arizona came out very aggressive in the 2nd half. Didn't shoot a lot of 3s and had a lot of foul shots. We didn't shoot much better while they shot over 50%. We may have a chance if Spencer Nelson doesn't shoot 1-7 from the field. Matteus wasn't much better shooting 2-10. Many said Spencer was not feeling well that game. Arizona wins 66-53

These two games I feel that we were just over-matched by very talented teams. We competed well, but just didn't have the horses.

2006 vs. Washington (5-12) - Down 9 at half. We shot poorly in the first half (33%, 0-6 from 3). Washington stifled us with their defense forcing 22 turnovers (they had 7). We shot better the second half, but so did Washington. We didn't handle their defense very well. Washington wins 75-61

This game could go either way. I feel that we were completely overwhelmed by the Washington athletes. We did settle down offensively a bit, but were never really in the game.

2009 vs. Marquette (6-11) - Down 8 at the half and only scored 18 points. Very poor shooting (31%, 1-8 from three). We came alive in the second half. Shot 52% (6-15 from three). We were out-rebounded in this game 32-26. Free throws were 6-8 us and 19-23 them. Down the stretch, they called a lot of fouls on us. At 4:13 left in the game, USU was up by 4. They called 7 fouls on USU (3 of which were end of the game type fouls). Marquette shot 11-14 from the foul line to end the game. They had two offensive boards leading to 4 points as well. Not blaming the refs, and I haven't watch this game since the loss, but that is quite a discrepancy. Marquette wins 58-57.

2010 vs. Texas A&M (5-12) - Down 13 at half. A&M was on fire the first half. Shot 57% from the field (6-12 from 3). They cooled down in the second half. Our shooting went from bad to worse. Pooh and Quayle shot poorly ( 7-25). Tai did his thing (7-11 shooting). We didn't get the ball in to him enough the second half. We never really cut into their lead either. We just weren't aggressive enough and didn't shoot well. TAMU wins 69-53

2011 vs. Kansas State (5-12) - Down 11 at half. We lost touch with them during the last 10 minutes of the first going from 15-13 to 33-22. We were out-physical-ed and out-hustled in the first half. We settled down in the second half and played well. We were the upset special at 30-3 at the 5-12 match-up. This ended a three year stretch of coming out overwhelmed before settling in and competing well. KSU wins 73-68

This was probably the most disappointing stretch. We had the horses, but were not prepared to compete due to poor schedule. This is the stretch that showed Stew was getting long in the tooth. It should have been a special stretch, but our guys looked ill-prepared.

2019 - I believe this is fresh on our minds. We didn't have any experience in the tournament and were a young team. Sam struggled with the defensive pressure. I didn't like the game plan. We crawled back into the game, but ran out of gas. Washington wasn't a great team, we just folded under their pressure.
Great breakdown my Aggie brother!
Very good breakdown. Missed the one we did win though.. Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



User avatar
hipsterdoofus21
Posts: 15706
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:39 pm
Has thanked: 346 times
Been thanked: 884 times

Re: Our NCAA Tourney struggles

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » February 18th, 2020, 5:37 pm

aggies22 wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 4:09 pm
Intermeddler wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 4:04 pm
I think Quayle fouled out of the Marquette game with like 90 seconds left or so and that doomed our chances.
There may have been more time left than that but I agree, it all went downhill from there.
And on a crap call. He was torching then down the stretch.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post (total 3):
Yossarianaggies22Real Life Aggie



CanofShiz
Posts: 49
Joined: December 2nd, 2018, 5:37 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 13 times

Re: Our NCAA Tourney struggles

Post by CanofShiz » February 18th, 2020, 7:34 pm

Madmartigan wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 9:27 am
USU has made the tourney an awful lot with limited success. Some over at the MW board have posited it is due to our lack of athleticism. We have wins over two fairly athletic teams this year: LSU and Florida. What are the reasons we can't seem to win tourney games consistently?
Who on our team lacks athleticism?



Intermeddler
Posts: 1825
Joined: January 20th, 2011, 7:35 pm
Location: North Salt Lake
Has thanked: 151 times
Been thanked: 125 times

Re: Our NCAA Tourney struggles

Post by Intermeddler » February 18th, 2020, 8:44 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 5:37 pm
aggies22 wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 4:09 pm
Intermeddler wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 4:04 pm
I think Quayle fouled out of the Marquette game with like 90 seconds left or so and that doomed our chances.
There may have been more time left than that but I agree, it all went downhill from there.
And on a crap call. He was torching then down the stretch.
Looked it up on the ESPN play by play. He fouled out at 1:45 left. He had 18 8 and 5 to lead us in all categories. He was playing great.



Madmartigan
Posts: 2690
Joined: November 19th, 2010, 11:30 pm
Has thanked: 124 times
Been thanked: 193 times

Re: Our NCAA Tourney struggles

Post by Madmartigan » February 18th, 2020, 9:02 pm

CanofShiz wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 7:34 pm
Madmartigan wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 9:27 am
USU has made the tourney an awful lot with limited success. Some over at the MW board have posited it is due to our lack of athleticism. We have wins over two fairly athletic teams this year: LSU and Florida. What are the reasons we can't seem to win tourney games consistently?
Who on our team lacks athleticism?
It’s not that they lack athleticism, it’s that they are not nearly as athletic as most of the teams you’d see in the tourney. Oh and Miller, Porter, Kuba, Dorius and Bairstow for starters.



User avatar
Real Life Aggie
Posts: 696
Joined: April 10th, 2019, 4:28 pm
Location: North Ogden, UT
Has thanked: 834 times
Been thanked: 359 times

Re: Our NCAA Tourney struggles

Post by Real Life Aggie » February 18th, 2020, 9:03 pm

Intermeddler wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 8:44 pm
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 5:37 pm
aggies22 wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 4:09 pm
Intermeddler wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 4:04 pm
I think Quayle fouled out of the Marquette game with like 90 seconds left or so and that doomed our chances.
There may have been more time left than that but I agree, it all went downhill from there.
And on a crap call. He was torching then down the stretch.
Looked it up on the ESPN play by play. Quayle fowled out at 1:45 left. He had 18 8 and 5 to lead us in all categories. He was playing great.
FIFY
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post (total 5):
aggies22IntermeddlerNVAggieWannabeAgAlumaggieguy13



Cuchelain
Posts: 266
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 8:32 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 23 times

Re: Our NCAA Tourney struggles

Post by Cuchelain » February 18th, 2020, 11:51 pm

Our losses in the tournament can only be explained by us underachieving. There was not one time in living memory that we faced a decent team.

Let's start with UCLA. A few names. Jason Kapono, Earl Watson, Dan Gadzuric. Matt Barnes. That sorry team couldn't even field a full starting line up of NBA players but had to have some scrub round out their starting line up who never played a day in the NBA. How could we have lost to them?

Don't get me started with Kansas. Kirk Hinrich. Nick Collison. Even combined these two players didn't even play 30 full seasons in the NBA. Aaron Miles. Wayne Simien. Marginal NBA players at best. Another team that had to put a roster on the floor that included a non-future NBA player. Also, the Jayhawks couldn't even pull off the national championship that year. Sad.

Then there was Arizona. Channing Frye. Salim Stoudemire. Hassan Adams. Mustafa Shakur. Again, a team that actually had a starter who never played in the NBA. We sure blew that one. Of course Shakur only played 25 games in his NBA career, Adams only played 72 games in his NBA career and Stoudemire only lasted 3 years in the league so they don't really count. Let's call it one NBA player.

After that, Washington. All they had going for them was Brandon Roy. And he sucked so bad that he only made 3 all star teams and never did better than second team all NBA. I'm not sure how that team took the number 1 overall seed to overtime in the sweet sixteen that year. I guess some things are just unexplainable.

Ah, Marquette. The one that got away. Marquette wasn't any good of course. Wesley Matthews. Jimmy Butler. Lazar Hayward. Jerel McNeal. McNeal and Hayward barely played in the NBA so I'm not sure why we are even counting them. Again, a team that was so devoid of talent that they had to roll out a player to fill their starting lineup that never played a day in the NBA.

Then we played Texas A&M. Kris Middleton. Somehow we found a way to lose that one even though they only had one player that even made it to the NBA. And he's barely even an all star.

And then of course Kansas State. That was a truly inexplicable loss. Rodney McGruder. Nobody else from that team even made it to the NBA that I can think of. Jacob Pullen only played three games in the NBA so I'm not counting him of course.

Last year, Washington. Matisse Thybulle. Jaylen Nowell. I guess it's too early to see if those guys stick in the NBA but neither of them look like they're any good.

How could we ever have lost to these teams?
These users thanked the author Cuchelain for the post:
QuackAttackAggie



hickaggie
Posts: 3051
Joined: November 15th, 2010, 10:13 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 124 times

Re: Our NCAA Tourney struggles

Post by hickaggie » February 19th, 2020, 7:21 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 10:49 am
Seeding.

Our best performances in the last 20 years came with Rock, Mark Brown, and Quayle running the point. That’s not a coincidence. Guard play is key.

We have to shoot better. The 3 pt shot is the great equalizer.
I agree. The Quayle year against Marquette was the hardest loss for me because of the local connections and the fact that he was the best player on the Court that day and had the Aggies poised for a win and wasn't going to let them lose until he fouled out. I think they were up 4-6 at that point and didn't score the remainder or something like that.

Not coincidentally, the year before (or after?) in the Tourney I think he was sick going into the game and had one of the worst games of his career and the Aggies got blown out. Point guard play is huge.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic