This year VS. 2006

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
GameFAQSAggie

This year VS. 2006

Post by GameFAQSAggie » February 17th, 2020, 4:03 pm

Who can forget when we were surprisingly awarded an at-large bid in 2006 with 9 losses. There are some similarities and differences. Like we were hesitant then with 2004 fresh on our minds. And old RG was telling us all season long cause of our poor schedule we wouldn't get one.

There are ways we are better off this year and ways we were better off that year. Our win at Nevada that year was better than Florida or LSU, but Florida and LSU combine to better wins than Nevada and whatever you would have considered our second best win that year. We did lose to New Mexico State twice who was 14-14, 16-14 cause of beating us, so assuming we don't lose at home to Wyoming or San Jose, we will have not had any home losses as bad as New Mexico State that year. Even Nevada, who was our other home loss that year, while good, isn't nearly as good as this year's San Diego State. And we had a road loss that year to a 14-16 Mountain West team in Utah and a few other bad, but not THAT bad, road losses on WAC play. We did as well lose on the road to Middle Tennessee, a team that was 16-12 so not that bad, but a team that RG though sucked cause of name recognition. One way we though are worse off this year is we didn't lose to anyone as bad as Air Force in 2005-06.

One thing that may have pushed us over the edge that year was we took Nevada to overtime on their home court so we likely need to not get totally blown out by San Diego in the championship.
These users thanked the author GameFAQSAggie for the post:
aggies22

AgsRock
Has thanked: 0

Re: This year VS. 2006

Post by AgsRock » February 17th, 2020, 5:44 pm

Great Post. I think it blows that we are still on the bubble, given that we are in the Mountain West conference (which is seriously undervalued nationally), with much harder road games, coupled with the fact that college hoops seems a bit down this year overall. I mean we are 21-7 and on the bubble with Arkansas who is 4-8 in the SEC, a conference which we own wins against two if its top four teams.
These users thanked the author AgsRock for the post (total 2):
aggies22Real Life Aggie

hipsterdoofus21

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » February 17th, 2020, 5:54 pm

AgsRock wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 5:44 pm
Great Post. I think it blows that we are still on the bubble, given that we are in the Mountain West conference (which is seriously undervalued nationally), with much harder road games, coupled with the fact that college hoops seems a bit down this year overall. I mean we are 21-7 and on the bubble with Arkansas who is 4-8 in the SEC, a conference which we own wins against two if its top four teams.
Conference needs to start the year better. Sucks that every year teams don’t start playing well until conference play.

Rabidchild

Post by Rabidchild » February 17th, 2020, 9:25 pm

Had we not blown the game at BSU, we'd be considered safely in at this point and would not be facing a must-win at The Pit in our final game. But if we win out in the regular season, and at least make it to the semifinal of the MW tourney, I think we are fairly securely in the field.

I'm a reasonable man, get off my case.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » February 17th, 2020, 9:46 pm

One thing of note is that the chairman of the selection committee is the AD at, of all schools, Stanford. So it would hurt our cause if he is as adamant as old StanfordAggie was that it DOES NOT MATTER if the teams you beat are from the SEC. There is however the AD of Kentucky that would biasingly give weight to SEC wins. There are the Northwestern and Duke ADs that, while they have to leave the room for discussions about their conference, can tear down the G5 schools to try to get more bids for their conferences. Plus, the Northwestern guy could still fight for the ACC teams with losing records while Duke's fights for the losing record Big Ten teams. They at least think it's harder than it really is go 2 games under 500 in a P5 conference, and easier than it really is to finish 2nd in a G5 conference.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » February 17th, 2020, 9:51 pm

When we entered the MWC the supposed advantage was that is was consistently a two or even three bid conference. Now we are back to the days of the Big West even though the talent league-wide is far better.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » February 17th, 2020, 9:55 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 9:51 pm
When we entered the MWC the supposed advantage was that is was consistently a two or even three bid conference. Now we are back to the days of the Big West even though the talent league-wide is far better.
The naked avarice of the p5 is worse now than it was ten years ago.
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post:
FloridaAggie13

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Locked Previous topicNext topic