Kuba and Bairstow

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
slcagg

Kuba and Bairstow

Post by slcagg » February 15th, 2020, 10:18 pm

Both are playing well. Bairstow has handled the ball very for a 6’8” guy and helps a lot with Abel struggling with injuries. Kuba has made it so we can sit queta for longer and do just fine with him out of the game. Glad to have him back.

utaggies

Re: Kuba and Bairstow

Post by utaggies » February 15th, 2020, 10:26 pm

slcagg wrote:
February 15th, 2020, 10:18 pm
Both are playing well. Bairstow has handled the ball very for a 6’8” guy and helps a lot with Abel struggling with injuries. Kuba has made it so we can sit queta for longer and do just fine with him out of the game. Glad to have him back.
Bairstow leads the team in TOs/minute — nosing out Queta. I’d say he has room for improvement in the ball handling category.

bpd

Post by bpd » February 15th, 2020, 10:31 pm

I think Kuba was very average against CSU (which we will take for a backup), but tonight he was terrible. He is soft and doesn't know how to play team D. Bairstow was good tonight.

That all said, it was a good win. Brito is playing really well.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » February 15th, 2020, 10:38 pm

I thought Kuba played well both games. He did not score, but played solid minutes. In the game against CSU he played 10 minutes while Queta was in foul trouble and we were able to maintain the lead. I thought tonight he played well and defended good. Bairstow gets turnovers, but I like his aggressiveness to the hoop. An off season in the weight room and he will start to finish those shots at the rim better. I would rather Sean do that than just sit out on the 3 and just huck 3's all night.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 2):
utaggiesReal Life Aggie

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » February 15th, 2020, 11:15 pm

Kuba wasn’t as effective defensively tonight as he was at CSU but he is a good fit on offense with his understanding of spacing and how to handle the hand off and screen at the top of the key.

Bairstow was great tonight, as was Anderson in limited minutes coming off an illness.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post (total 2):
AggieFBObsessionReal Life Aggie

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » February 16th, 2020, 4:34 pm

bpd wrote:
February 15th, 2020, 10:31 pm
I think Kuba was very average against CSU (which we will take for a backup), but tonight he was terrible. He is soft and doesn't know how to play team D. Bairstow was good tonight.

You would rather have Dorius? No thanks. Kuba has pretty good hands and mobility compared to Dorius. He is brand new. He played a little before his surgery, and very little since. I think he will get better and more comfortable the last few games of the season, and be a better contributor in the MWC tournament. I think he can be really good with experience and eating a lot of pasta after he hits the weights.
These users thanked the author mcaggie1 for the post:
AggieFBObsession

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » February 16th, 2020, 10:45 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:
February 16th, 2020, 4:34 pm
bpd wrote:

You would rather have Dorius? No thanks. Kuba has pretty good hands and mobility compared to Dorius. He is brand new. He played a little before his surgery, and very little since. I think he will get better and more comfortable the last few games of the season, and be a better contributor in the MWC tournament. I think he can be really good with experience and eating a lot of pasta after he hits the weights.
You make it sound like he's a plague. I've loved what I've seen out of Dorius and what that means for his next 3 years here. I would prefer Queta on the floor, and I love Kuba, but I'm always happy to see Dorius getting minutes and experience. I think he'll be a major contributor for us.

TrueBlueFan

Post by TrueBlueFan » February 17th, 2020, 8:44 am

Real Life Aggie wrote:
February 16th, 2020, 10:45 pm
mcaggie1 wrote:
bpd wrote:

You make it sound like he's a plague. I've loved what I've seen out of Dorius and what that means for his next 3 years here. I would prefer Queta on the floor, and I love Kuba, but I'm always happy to see Dorius getting minutes and experience. I think he'll be a major contributor for us.
Agreed! I think that Dorius is going to be a really solid player. He’s already improved a lot this season. In my opinion, he is already at where Jordan Stone was when he left. Stone struggled at the beginning but by the end I felt he was serviceable.

Go Grizzlies, Jazz, Real SL, Seahawks, USA! Go Aggies!

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » February 17th, 2020, 9:10 am

TrueBlueFan wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 8:44 am
Real Life Aggie wrote:
mcaggie1 wrote:
bpd wrote:

Agreed! I think that Dorius is going to be a really solid player. He’s already improved a lot this season. In my opinion, he is already at where Jordan Stone was when he left. Stone struggled at the beginning but by the end I felt he was serviceable.
Dorius only looks less desirable because we have Queta (arguably the best center we've ever had) with 7'2" Kuba as his backup.

Looking back over the past couple of decades of Aggie basketball (I don't know much before 2000), I can't see a single year where we wouldn't love to have Dorius on the team. We've had a lot of really good 4s who have been great at battling in the paint, but there aren't many true 5s where he would be edged out from playing. He would always be at least second up for that role.

Cass Matheus, Modou Niang (had to look up how to spell his name), Nate Bendall, Jarred Shaw, Jordan Stone... These are all guys who contributed to the team and are memorable. I can't see a single matchup where Dorius wouldn't be challenging them to take away their time. Sure, he's a freshman and I remember these guys at the end of their careers, so, there's a discrepancy there, but I stand by it.

I know historically, we played a lot of 4s in the paint. I'm not saying that Dorius will be better than Tai Wesley or Gary Wilkinson... But I find it hard to imagine it wouldn't have been great to have Dorius on the team.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » February 17th, 2020, 9:40 am

Real Life Aggie wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 9:10 am
TrueBlueFan wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 8:44 am
Real Life Aggie wrote:
mcaggie1 wrote:
bpd wrote:

Dorius only looks less desirable because we have Queta (arguably the best center we've ever had) with 7'2" Kuba as his backup.

Looking back over the past couple of decades of Aggie basketball (I don't know much before 2000), I can't see a single year where we wouldn't love to have Dorius on the team. We've had a lot of really good 4s who have been great at battling in the paint, but there aren't many true 5s where he would be edged out from playing. He would always be at least second up for that role.

Cass Matheus, Modou Niang (had to look up how to spell his name), Nate Bendall, Jarred Shaw, Jordan Stone... These are all guys who contributed to the team and are memorable. I can't see a single matchup where Dorius wouldn't be challenging them to take away their time. Sure, he's a freshman and I remember these guys at the end of their careers, so, there's a discrepancy there, but I stand by it.

I know historically, we played a lot of 4s in the paint. I'm not saying that Dorius will be better than Tai Wesley or Gary Wilkinson... But I find it hard to imagine it wouldn't have been great to have Dorius on the team.
For comparison, here are all the dudes stats you listed. There's a clear tier one and tier two here. Dorius would've taken time away from tier 2, but definitely not tier one. I think if you put him on a Cass or Bendall team he doesn't see the floor. Put him on that Shaw squad, he'd have been an OK second option.

Cass: 9 pts 6 rpg
Shaw: 14.1 pts 8.3 rpg
Bendall (on a team with Wesley, Wilkinson and Formisano): 6.5 pts 5.8 rpg

Stone: 2.7 pts, 2.5 rpg
Modou: 2.7 pts 1.6 boards

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » February 17th, 2020, 10:40 am

Madmartigan wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 9:40 am

For comparison, here are all the dudes stats you listed. There's a clear tier one and tier two here. Dorius would've taken time away from tier 2, but definitely not tier one. I think if you put him on a Cass or Bendall team he doesn't see the floor. Put him on that Shaw squad, he'd have been an OK second option.

But Cass was a JuCo transfer, so he had the benefit of two years experience before getting to that stat line. Not to downplay it, because I loved watching him play, but the comparison here isn't as simple as stat line. Dorius would have significant playing time on many other teams in other years. Right now, he gets very little. This is partly due to his age in the program, and partly due to being eclipsed by Queta.

Shaw, again, was a JuCo transfer. This brings up the problem of comparing seniors to the freshman Dorius. Completely subjective here, but I see a lot more hustle/emotion out of Dorius than Slim. Bendall, kind of a JuCo transfer, had an underwhelming freshman year at USU, then a crazy great year at SLCC before coming back to USU.

The team '07-'11 had good depth in the paint. But most of those guys weren't centers. Bendall played very differently than Dorius, so I don't know that an easy comparison exists. But, I didn't say he would start over all those people... I said I have hard time imagining Dorius not being at least #2. I think Dorius would beat out Formisano or Ducharme all day from the rosters during that stretch. But if he were competing for time with Gary Wilkinson and Tai Wesley, he definitely sees no time. Those guys were amazing. While Dorius still has 3 years of development, it just can't be extrapolated what he'll look like at that point.

One of my all-time favorite Aggies (if not the absolute favorite) is Brady Jardine. He wasn't that polished as a freshman. He averaged 7.7 minutes per game. And look how he developed. He's considered an Aggie great and didn't even really have a senior year. Dorius is only averaging 8.8 minutes per game, but he has 3 years to develop. That includes (likely) one more year to learn more from Queta. A lot of great Aggies had underwhelming freshman years.

Sorry for rambling. I don't mean to make this the hill I'm going to die on. My point is that he's a freshman and looks good. He's going to continue to get better. I will be surprised if he isn't one of the top contributors for the team his junior and senior years.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » February 17th, 2020, 10:53 am

Kuba is playing very well, as many have mentioned here. He is an asset off the bench for 10-12 minutes per game. We will be glad to have him for another year.

Bairstow is definitely showing the potential that I think we expected when he signed with us. Give him a little more consistency in the offense, an offseason to get adjusted, and primary ball handling duties and I think we have ourselves a player that could compete for all-conference team positions. More athletic than I anticipated and a fiery competitor.

Dorius is more of a long-term project in terms of what he could do for us, but I think either another year behind both Queta/Kuba or a sophomore year playing 10-12 minutes per game would be great for his development. I think he will be a great contributor as an upperclassman.

Others I am excited about that we haven't seen up to this point are McChesney, Marco Anthony, Nigel John, and Steven Ashworth. Lots of developmental work to be done, but the pieces for a perennial contender are there in a way that we haven't seen since Tai/Pooh/Bendall/Jardine/Newbold were young guys coming up.

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » February 17th, 2020, 11:05 am

Now we just need to go get Dallin Hall from Fremont. He has Sam Merrill written all over him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » February 17th, 2020, 11:19 am

YoungBloodAggie wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 10:53 am
Kuba is playing very well, as many have mentioned here. He is an asset off the bench for 10-12 minutes per game. We will be glad to have him for another year.

Bairstow is definitely showing the potential that I think we expected when he signed with us. Give him a little more consistency in the offense, an offseason to get adjusted, and primary ball handling duties and I think we have ourselves a player that could compete for all-conference team positions. More athletic than I anticipated and a fiery competitor.

Dorius is more of a long-term project in terms of what he could do for us, but I think either another year behind both Queta/Kuba or a sophomore year playing 10-12 minutes per game would be great for his development. I think he will be a great contributor as an upperclassman.

Others I am excited about that we haven't seen up to this point are McChesney, Marco Anthony, Nigel John, and Steven Ashworth. Lots of developmental work to be done, but the pieces for a perennial contender are there in a way that we haven't seen since Tai/Pooh/Bendall/Jardine/Newbold were young guys coming up.
Reasonable thoughts. Thank you.
My earlier statements concerning Dorius wasn't that I thought he was worthless. You are exactly right he IS a project. I guess you could say that every player is a "project", but Dorius is a lot more of a project than our other big men, that's all. Maybe he will improve so that he becomes a good player, but he has a long way to go. Kuba has more dexterity and is much less likely to score and not turn the ball over on the low block. Kuba, however needs to show a little more aggression towards trying to score when he gets the ball down low. I think he has the ability. Dorius looks much more clumsy with the ball down low.
Hopefully they both improve a bunch.
These users thanked the author mcaggie1 for the post:
Real Life Aggie

aggieguy13

Post by aggieguy13 » February 17th, 2020, 11:39 am

Real Life Aggie wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 10:40 am
Madmartigan wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 9:40 am

But Cass was a JuCo transfer, so he had the benefit of two years experience before getting to that stat line. Not to downplay it, because I loved watching him play, but the comparison here isn't as simple as stat line. Dorius would have significant playing time on many other teams in other years. Right now, he gets very little. This is partly due to his age in the program, and partly due to being eclipsed by Queta.

Shaw, again, was a JuCo transfer. This brings up the problem of comparing seniors to the freshman Dorius. Completely subjective here, but I see a lot more hustle/emotion out of Dorius than Slim. Bendall, kind of a JuCo transfer, had an underwhelming freshman year at USU, then a crazy great year at SLCC before coming back to USU.

The team '07-'11 had good depth in the paint. But most of those guys weren't centers. Bendall played very differently than Dorius, so I don't know that an easy comparison exists. But, I didn't say he would start over all those people... I said I have hard time imagining Dorius not being at least #2. I think Dorius would beat out Formisano or Ducharme all day from the rosters during that stretch. But if he were competing for time with Gary Wilkinson and Tai Wesley, he definitely sees no time. Those guys were amazing. While Dorius still has 3 years of development, it just can't be extrapolated what he'll look like at that point.

One of my all-time favorite Aggies (if not the absolute favorite) is Brady Jardine. He wasn't that polished as a freshman. He averaged 7.7 minutes per game. And look how he developed. He's considered an Aggie great and didn't even really have a senior year. Dorius is only averaging 8.8 minutes per game, but he has 3 years to develop. That includes (likely) one more year to learn more from Queta. A lot of great Aggies had underwhelming freshman years.

Sorry for rambling. I don't mean to make this the hill I'm going to die on. My point is that he's a freshman and looks good. He's going to continue to get better. I will be surprised if he isn't one of the top contributors for the team his junior and senior years.
But can Dorius match Shaw's all-time record of 0 passes made in a single season after catching the ball within 15 feet of the basket?
These users thanked the author aggieguy13 for the post (total 2):
Real Life Aggieaggies22

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » February 17th, 2020, 4:50 pm

It feels like Bairstow's turnovers are lost on his attack to the hoop because he doesn't have strong hands for this level quite yet but that really isn't much different than a missed shot at that point because he doesn't lose it every take. Porter's turnovers are generally the opposite and outside of the offensive scheme, leading to fast break points on the other end. I'll take the risk on Bairstow at this point because he has a back that works.

ColoAggie
Has thanked: 0

Post by ColoAggie » February 17th, 2020, 5:21 pm

The game is just too fast for Dorius right now. Once it slows down for him he'll be much more effective.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » February 17th, 2020, 7:47 pm

aggiesdotcom wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 4:50 pm
It feels like Bairstow's turnovers are lost on his attack to the hoop because he doesn't have strong hands for this level quite yet but that really isn't much different than a missed shot at that point because he doesn't lose it every take. Porter's turnovers are generally the opposite and outside of the offensive scheme, leading to fast break points on the other end. I'll take the risk on Bairstow at this point because he has a back that works.
Porter also shows some doubt and uncertainty by picking up his dribble too early creating much more difficult passes.

tipitup
Pick'em Champ - '18 WTHCG

Post by tipitup » February 18th, 2020, 8:30 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 7:47 pm
aggiesdotcom wrote:
Porter also shows some doubt and uncertainty by picking up his dribble too early creating much more difficult passes.
i don't think bairstows tunovers are because he doesn't have strong hands, it's because he drives into three people and has no exit plan, other than throw it towards the basket, which if it hits three people and never gets to the basket is a turnover. i do like him driving, he just doesn't finish well, i think up to this point in his career he's been bigger than everyone else and could just jump over them and lay it in, it hasn't worked well for him at this level, yet! he will get better and i'm excited to see that.

and i do agree with porter, he starts a dribble with no plan, then stops and gets mugged because he has nowhere to go.

bullshot

Post by bullshot » February 18th, 2020, 9:03 am

If Dorius can screen, rebound, defend the rim and make free throws by his junior year, he will be a nice asset.

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » February 18th, 2020, 10:07 am

tipitup wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 8:30 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
aggiesdotcom wrote:
i don't think bairstows tunovers are because he doesn't have strong hands, it's because he drives into three people and has no exit plan, other than throw it towards the basket, which if it hits three people and never gets to the basket is a turnover. i do like him driving, he just doesn't finish well, i think up to this point in his career he's been bigger than everyone else and could just jump over them and lay it in, it hasn't worked well for him at this level, yet! he will get better and i'm excited to see that.

and i do agree with porter, he starts a dribble with no plan, then stops and gets mugged because he has nowhere to go.
There is truth to that. Once he can develop either an effective spin move or eurostep to get out of the collapsing defense, he will be an effective finisher.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » February 18th, 2020, 10:16 am

ColoAggie wrote:
February 17th, 2020, 5:21 pm
The game is just too fast for Dorius right now. Once it slows down for him he'll be much more effective.
Perfect! My sentiments exactly.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » February 23rd, 2020, 10:14 am

tipitup wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
aggiesdotcom wrote:

When he figures it out he is going to be a blast to watch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author TheAKAggie for the post:
aggies22

Hail Aggies!

Locked Previous topicNext topic