In conference 3 point shooting... so poo poo

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
aggie4L

In conference 3 point shooting... so poo poo

Post by aggie4L » February 12th, 2020, 8:35 am

Like it is stunning how poor we are shooting the 3 pointer all year, but specifically in conference play. And I know we like to hate on Miller here, but it is so much deeper than Miller.

Here are last year's three point shooting and this year in conference.

Brock Miller - 35.4% -> 25.6% on 5.6 3's per game
Diogo Brito - 39.6% -> 21.7% on 4.3 3's per game
Alphonso A - N/A -> 20% on 1.4 3's per game
Abel Porter - 40.5% -> 19.4% on 2.2 3's per game

Almost a 20% decrease for Brito and Porter, and a 10% decreased for Miller.

You have to think some positive regression is going to come for these players on the three ball, but at this point you never know. Makes the bigger wins that we've had more impressive. We hit any where near last rate (like any where near) and you can add another 8 or so points to the scoreboard for us each game.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Re: In conference 3 point shooting... so poo poo

Post by NVAggie » February 12th, 2020, 8:37 am

It really is the biggest problem we have had this year. We can't hit open three pointers.

aggie4L

Post by aggie4L » February 12th, 2020, 8:39 am

NVAggie wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 8:37 am
It really is the biggest problem we have had this year. We can't hit open three pointers.
Facts, it feels like 3 pointers for these 4 players are wide open almost all the time.

89Aggie
Has thanked: 0

Post by 89Aggie » February 12th, 2020, 8:43 am

Porter's problem is that he is constantly stopping his dribble to soon. As soon as he stops dribbling the opposing team will move in tight on him and force him to make a tough pass and / or make it impossible to take a clean shot. This happens all game every game.
These users thanked the author 89Aggie for the post (total 3):
NVAggieAggieFBObsessionhipsterdoofus21

Rawbirds

Post by Rawbirds » February 12th, 2020, 9:12 am

It appears moving the 3-point line back this year has really impacted the players. Early on Brito said he was used to it from growing up with it but his % difference is one of the largest year over year.
These users thanked the author Rawbirds for the post:
AggieFBObsession

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » February 12th, 2020, 9:16 am

aggie4L wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 8:39 am
NVAggie wrote:
Facts, it feels like 3 pointers for these 4 players are wide open almost all the time.
And that's the scary thing for next year. They are open for two reasons: Sam and the attention teams give to him. And Queta being the threat inside forcing the zone to stop that. If they can't make open shots, how are they going to make shots next year with opponents able to play us straight up having everyone on someone without at least the obligation to scheme around Sam, and especially without the obligation to stop down low if Queta leaves.

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » February 12th, 2020, 9:23 am

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 9:16 am
aggie4L wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 8:39 am
NVAggie wrote:
And that's the scary thing for next year. They are open for two reasons: Sam and the attention teams give to him. And Queta being the threat inside forcing the zone to stop that. If they can't make open shots, how are they going to make shots next year with opponents able to play us straight up having everyone on someone without at least the obligation to scheme around Sam, and especially without the obligation to stop down low if Queta leaves.
Next year's team will be completely different, but we'll just have to wait and see what differences there are. I think we'll be a team that attacks more with Marco and an improved bairstow.

Aggies All the Way!

UStateTim
Has thanked: 0

Post by UStateTim » February 12th, 2020, 9:58 am

At this rate, I wouldn't even care if they just took a step or two in and shot the ball. I know they're long 2's but I'd rather have a higher percentage shot of hitting a 2 then an almost guarantee of not hitting a 3.
These users thanked the author UStateTim for the post:
hipsterdoofus21

hipsterdoofus21

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » February 12th, 2020, 10:12 am

Did the injuries to Brito and Porter mess with their confidence? Seems like their best chance of making one is early in the game when they still have legs. They got no chance in the second half.

Porter was clutch on those 1-1 FTs though.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » February 12th, 2020, 10:58 am

UStateTim wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 9:58 am
At this rate, I wouldn't even care if they just took a step or two in and shot the ball. I know they're long 2's but I'd rather have a higher percentage shot of hitting a 2 then an almost guarantee of not hitting a 3.
Agreed. If you're shooting anything less than 33% from downtown, just drive to the hoop for a higher percentage shot or free throws.

hipsterdoofus21

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » February 12th, 2020, 10:59 am

treesap32 wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 10:58 am
UStateTim wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 9:58 am
Agreed. If you're shooting anything less than 33% from downtown, just drive to the hoop for a higher percentage shot or free throws.
Brito has been doing this more and is effective. Porter can be hit or miss with the drive. Miller needs to do his one dribble pull up that he used We’ll his freshman year before injury.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
MrBiggle

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » February 12th, 2020, 11:02 am

The conference wide complaint has been the Nike ball with the shot tracker. No coincidence that the under armour ball used for Colorado State last night was shot better. The Dan Diego paper did a write-up and the Washington Post was looking at it as well.
These users thanked the author Ahbye for the post:
aggies22

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » February 12th, 2020, 11:40 am

Ahbye wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 11:02 am
The conference wide complaint has been the Nike ball with the shot tracker. No coincidence that the under armour ball used for Colorado State last night was shot better. The Dan Diego paper did a write-up and the Washington Post was looking at it as well.
You may be on to something, but Brito, Miller, and Porter shot a combined 3 for 15 from 3 last night. Sam was the only player who shot well from distance.

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » February 12th, 2020, 12:20 pm

Miller's shot is disgusting. If you don't pay attention, it appears that he is shooting it the same way every time. However, when you watch his hands and feet, they are different with every shot. Because of that, he misses. Because he misses, he gets the yips and it all goes downhill. Until he doesn't just chuck it up every time he gets it and actually takes a second to set his hands and feet, he'll continue to be a major cause of our drought problems.
These users thanked the author Ahbye for the post (total 2):
aggies22AngusAg

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » February 12th, 2020, 12:24 pm

Obviously we have been harping on this all year. Poo-poo is right. It is epically, spectacularly bad. I am too lazy to look it up right now, but are we last in the nation at 3P%? We've gotta be close. If we aren't, it is solely due to Sam Merrill.

It is to the point with some guys that I am shocked when one goes in.
These users thanked the author Mr. Sneelock for the post:
aggies22

Formerly TulsAGGIE

aggieguy13

Post by aggieguy13 » February 12th, 2020, 12:49 pm

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 12:24 pm
Obviously we have been harping on this all year. Poo-poo is right. It is epically, spectacularly bad. I am too lazy to look it up right now, but are we last in the nation at 3P%? We've gotta be close. If we aren't, it is solely due to Sam Merrill.

It is to the point with some guys that I am shocked when one goes in.
For the whole season: 32.2% - 240th out of 350 teams

In conference play: 28.6% - worst in the MWC, would be 334th out of 350 teams if extrapolated over the entire season

Non-Merrill players in conference play: 24.5% - would be worst in the country (though to be fair, everyone's percentage would drop if you removed their best shooters so not exactly a fair comparison)
These users thanked the author aggieguy13 for the post:
Real Life Aggie

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » February 12th, 2020, 12:54 pm

It is amazing to me that with all of our 3 point shooting issues in conference we are still 20-7 overall with the inside track for 2nd place as well as an at large bid. If we were shooting like we did last year this team would a top 20 team in my opinion.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 3):
dirtnsnowNVAggieMr. Sneelock

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » February 12th, 2020, 3:19 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 12:54 pm
It is amazing to me that with all of our 3 point shooting issues in conference we are still 20-7 overall with the inside track for 2nd place as well as an at large bid. If we were shooting like we did last year this team would a top 20 team in my opinion.
If we were shooting like last year, we would be undefeated (or first loss @SDSU). If we had that sort of production, we'd be a top 10 team... and really deserve it.

But we aren't. We're struggling with our 3 pt shooting, and it's made this season less spectacular than we'd hoped. I'm grateful for the amazing season we had last year. In a single year, it completely turned around our expectations and status in the MWC. While things are evening out a bit this year, I look forward to another excellent year next year. And I hope we can sort some things out and make some noise in the tourney come mid-March!

nswaggie

Post by nswaggie » February 12th, 2020, 5:13 pm

aggie4L wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 8:35 am
Like it is stunning how poor we are shooting the 3 pointer all year, but specifically in conference play. And I know we like to hate on Miller here, but it is so much deeper than Miller.

Here are last year's three point shooting and this year in conference.

Brock Miller - 35.4% -> 25.6% on 5.6 3's per game
Diogo Brito - 39.6% -> 21.7% on 4.3 3's per game
Alphonso A - N/A -> 20% on 1.4 3's per game
Abel Porter - 40.5% -> 19.4% on 2.2 3's per game

Almost a 20% decrease for Brito and Porter, and a 10% decreased for Miller.

You have to think some positive regression is going to come for these players on the three ball, but at this point you never know. Makes the bigger wins that we've had more impressive. We hit any where near last rate (like any where near) and you can add another 8 or so points to the scoreboard for us each game.
I’m still hoping the guys can shake off the bad shooting this year. Last night, not including Sam the team went 3 for 17 from 3. I can think of several wide open missed looks. If we hit two of those ( especially the two right after Sam took over and CSU had to call time out in the second half) we win easily.

Porter needs to stop hesitating and shoot it. When he hesitates he misses, he’s thinking too much.

Miller needs better shot selection and to wait for the wide open shot. Take the best 2 to 3 shots you get. Don’t take 6 threes a game.

I think Brito’s selection and quantity of shots is good, he just needs to keep chipping away and get some reps in practice.

Im sure they are getting coached up, but sometimes I wonder if they could use some mental toughness coaching. If when you shoot it your thinking I’m probably gonna miss, but I’m wide open so I gotta shoot it, well guess what your gonna miss.

Sam made his clutch 3 cause he was telling himself I’m gonna score and put this game away. Can’t emphasize enough how important the thought process is out there on the court.

Rambling

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » February 12th, 2020, 8:43 pm

A shooter can’t think about their last shot. It is a laser focus.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » February 12th, 2020, 10:05 pm

Ahbye wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 12:20 pm
Miller's shot is disgusting. If you don't pay attention, it appears that he is shooting it the same way every time. However, when you watch his hands and feet, they are different with every shot. Because of that, he misses. Because he misses, he gets the yips and it all goes downhill. Until he doesn't just chuck it up every time he gets it and actually takes a second to set his hands and feet, he'll continue to be a major cause of our drought problems.
The yips is exactly how I have described it.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
hipsterdoofus21Ahbye

Locked Previous topicNext topic