Sam’s shot

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
User avatar
Roy McAvoy
Posts: 5367
Joined: November 2nd, 2011, 1:30 pm
Has thanked: 375 times
Been thanked: 622 times

Sam’s shot

Post by Roy McAvoy » February 11th, 2020, 9:55 pm

For anyone who didn’t get to see it, Sam made this shot that won the game. CSU had all the momentum in the world and then Sam does this:

These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post (total 10):
aggies22WillCut72SaintAggieslcaggNVAggiejpswensenReal Life AggiesneedcdaAgTheAKAggie



User avatar
ineptimusprime
Posts: 2741
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:07 pm
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 563 times

Re: Sam’s shot

Post by ineptimusprime » February 11th, 2020, 10:03 pm

Twas glorious.



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 9217
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 4268 times
Been thanked: 2438 times
Contact:

Re: Sam’s shot

Post by aggies22 » February 11th, 2020, 10:14 pm

Pure.



Aggie84025
Posts: 1720
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 469 times

Re: Sam’s shot

Post by Aggie84025 » February 11th, 2020, 10:18 pm

I love sam. He's just not a cocky guy just goes out and plays his heart out and just is awesome.



NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.
Posts: 16544
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:09 am
Location: Where the sagebrush grows!
Has thanked: 787 times
Been thanked: 696 times

Re: Sam’s shot

Post by NVAggie » February 11th, 2020, 10:20 pm

Sam is my favorite Aggie. I love his game.



SwaggieAggie
Posts: 114
Joined: September 17th, 2019, 10:04 pm
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 54 times

Re: Sam’s shot

Post by SwaggieAggie » February 11th, 2020, 10:23 pm

This and his LSU shot has kept us in the tournament hunt. Just need to finish the season out strong now!
These users thanked the author SwaggieAggie for the post:
aggies22



Aggie84025
Posts: 1720
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 469 times

Re: Sam’s shot

Post by Aggie84025 » February 11th, 2020, 10:42 pm

This game will be huge in terms of confidence. Now that we got a good Road victory. Fresno won't be easy as they are always athletic and we struggle with them. But we get that Victory and we are in really pretty good shape.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
aggies22



FL350Aggie
Posts: 111
Joined: January 19th, 2020, 4:57 pm
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 63 times

Re: Sam’s shot

Post by FL350Aggie » February 11th, 2020, 10:53 pm

It had my boy and I jumping like crazy men. Sam is a stud. Hits a clutch 3, doesn’t flex, pound his chest, or “primal scream”. He just gets it done.
These users thanked the author FL350Aggie for the post (total 3):
NVAggieaggies22WillCut72



FL350Aggie
Posts: 111
Joined: January 19th, 2020, 4:57 pm
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 63 times

Re: Sam’s shot

Post by FL350Aggie » February 11th, 2020, 10:54 pm

Now let’s get him back in first in the voting for the senior class award!
These users thanked the author FL350Aggie for the post (total 3):
ProvoAggieReal Life AggieWillCut72



GameFAQSAggie
Posts: 5421
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:10 am
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 208 times

Re: Sam’s shot

Post by GameFAQSAggie » February 12th, 2020, 8:48 am




Murkymerk
Posts: 249
Joined: March 31st, 2015, 10:53 am
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 46 times

Re: Sam’s shot

Post by Murkymerk » February 12th, 2020, 9:05 am

Just Sam Merrill doing Sam Merrill things.
These users thanked the author Murkymerk for the post:
USU78



Aggie84025
Posts: 1720
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 469 times

Re: Sam’s shot

Post by Aggie84025 » February 12th, 2020, 9:14 am

FL350Aggie wrote:
February 11th, 2020, 10:53 pm
It had my boy and I jumping like crazy men. Sam is a stud. Hits a clutch 3, doesn’t flex, pound his chest, or “primal scream”. He just gets it done.
This one of the reasons I love Sam so much. Doesn't talk smack or go crazy when he hits a good shot. He is just awesome that is all I can say.



Aggie84025
Posts: 1720
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 469 times

Re: Sam’s shot

Post by Aggie84025 » February 12th, 2020, 9:16 am

One thing is for certain, CSU will be glad to not see Merrill anymore after this year. He has completely owned that team.



User avatar
El Sapo
Posts: 785
Joined: November 27th, 2017, 1:32 pm
Has thanked: 72 times
Been thanked: 29 times

Re: Sam’s shot

Post by El Sapo » February 12th, 2020, 9:46 am

Dagger. I'm pretty sure the neighbors heard my scream.

Just seeing that shot doesn't put the correct perspective on how big it was. I think we misplayed the previous 2-3 possessions. Things didn't look like they were going to go our way. Like posted above CSU had all the momentum. It was just an incredible play against their big guy.

It looked a little like that shot ( Smith ? ) made in the tourney vs Ohio State in the final seconds over their All American center.


“Information is just bits of data. Knowledge is putting them together. Wisdom is transcending them.” ― Ram Dass

Aggie84025
Posts: 1720
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 469 times

Re: Sam’s shot

Post by Aggie84025 » February 12th, 2020, 10:46 am

El Sapo wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 9:46 am
Dagger. I'm pretty sure the neighbors heard my scream.

Just seeing that shot doesn't put the correct perspective on how big it was. I think we misplayed the previous 2-3 possessions. Things didn't look like they were going to go our way. Like posted above CSU had all the momentum. It was just an incredible play against their big guy.

It looked a little like that shot ( Smith ? ) made in the tourney vs Ohio State in the final seconds over their All American center.
We were up 68-59 with like 4 minutes to go and then went on one of our classic scoring droughts until Sam hit that 3 with 26 seconds to go. They had all the momentum at that point and the shot clock was winding down. Just an absolute clutch shot by Sam. Also clutch play getting the ball in bounds by porter and making 4 free throws to end the game.



Yossarian
Posts: 3153
Joined: November 14th, 2010, 11:56 pm
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 307 times

Re: Sam’s shot

Post by Yossarian » February 12th, 2020, 11:03 am

El Sapo wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 9:46 am
Dagger. I'm pretty sure the neighbors heard my scream.

Just seeing that shot doesn't put the correct perspective on how big it was. I think we misplayed the previous 2-3 possessions. Things didn't look like they were going to go our way. Like posted above CSU had all the momentum. It was just an incredible play against their big guy.

It looked a little like that shot ( Smith ? ) made in the tourney vs Ohio State in the final seconds over their All American center.

Brown (Tony)



Yossarian
Posts: 3153
Joined: November 14th, 2010, 11:56 pm
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 307 times

Re: Sam’s shot

Post by Yossarian » February 12th, 2020, 11:05 am

FL350Aggie wrote:
February 11th, 2020, 10:53 pm
It had my boy and I jumping like crazy men. Sam is a stud. Hits a clutch 3, doesn’t flex, pound his chest, or “primal scream”. He just gets it done.

A very similar demeanor to Jared Quayle. I loved watching Quayle play - he was just a killer on the court but so quiet and unassuming.



Yossarian
Posts: 3153
Joined: November 14th, 2010, 11:56 pm
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 307 times

Re: Sam’s shot

Post by Yossarian » February 12th, 2020, 11:06 am

Aggie84025 wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 9:14 am
FL350Aggie wrote:
February 11th, 2020, 10:53 pm
It had my boy and I jumping like crazy men. Sam is a stud. Hits a clutch 3, doesn’t flex, pound his chest, or “primal scream”. He just gets it done.
This one of the reasons I love Sam so much. Doesn't talk smack or go crazy when he hits a good shot. He is just awesome that is all I can say.

I think Sam is the opposite of a smack talker. I see him having conversations and laughing with opposing players between game action or in the back court during free throws. He seems like he enjoys playing ball and being around other ball players.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
aggies22



Yossarian
Posts: 3153
Joined: November 14th, 2010, 11:56 pm
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 307 times

Re: Sam’s shot

Post by Yossarian » February 12th, 2020, 12:12 pm

Sam's "other" shot - the one that got him to 2,000 points. I want to give props to Brito for the assist. That is not normally an advisable pass (across the key from outside the arc on the opposite side of the court). Brito had the vision to see Merrill get open for an instant and didn't hesitate to deliver a perfect pass. Well done, Diogo.



aggiesdotcom
Posts: 1768
Joined: January 21st, 2011, 8:56 am
Has thanked: 66 times
Been thanked: 110 times

Re: Sam’s shot

Post by aggiesdotcom » February 12th, 2020, 1:11 pm

He could have ran 3 more seconds off of the clock. /s



89Aggie
Posts: 16
Joined: September 16th, 2019, 9:44 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: Sam’s shot

Post by 89Aggie » February 12th, 2020, 1:39 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 8:48 am
I love watching Coach Smith's reaction to this.



agster
Posts: 144
Joined: November 20th, 2010, 7:53 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 12 times

Re: Sam’s shot

Post by agster » February 12th, 2020, 1:44 pm

I also liked the shot where he was taking the ball out of bounds under the Aggie basket and there was a defender with his back to Merrill and Merrill through the ball at the defender's backside got the ball and made a layup!



Usu0505
Posts: 550
Joined: March 12th, 2018, 6:51 pm
Has thanked: 149 times
Been thanked: 92 times

Re: Sam’s shot

Post by Usu0505 » February 12th, 2020, 2:02 pm

Words can’t express how big of a freaking boss he is. Legend


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author Usu0505 for the post (total 2):
aggies22usufan1



Dkdavis
Posts: 159
Joined: January 28th, 2019, 7:51 pm
Has thanked: 59 times
Been thanked: 53 times

Re: Sam’s shot

Post by Dkdavis » February 12th, 2020, 2:16 pm

agster wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 1:44 pm
I also liked the shot where he was taking the ball out of bounds under the Aggie basket and there was a defender with his back to Merrill and Merrill through the ball at the defender's backside got the ball and made a layup!
I loved this too! Is there a highlight video with this in it somewhere?



AgMan21
Posts: 1379
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 6:01 pm
Has thanked: 95 times
Been thanked: 143 times

Re: Sam’s shot

Post by AgMan21 » February 12th, 2020, 2:19 pm

Dkdavis wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 2:16 pm
agster wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 1:44 pm
I also liked the shot where he was taking the ball out of bounds under the Aggie basket and there was a defender with his back to Merrill and Merrill through the ball at the defender's backside got the ball and made a layup!
I loved this too! Is there a highlight video with this in it somewhere?
Most annoying part of the broadcast was they were showing a replay right at that moment so we missed it in real time.



AgsRock
Posts: 43
Joined: November 9th, 2010, 9:47 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 18 times

Re: Sam’s shot

Post by AgsRock » February 12th, 2020, 2:21 pm

How do i get a Sam Merrill jersey. I saw one at the game on Saturday night and wondered where does one get one of those.



User avatar
Rawbirds
Posts: 112
Joined: November 1st, 2013, 11:13 am
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Sam’s shot

Post by Rawbirds » February 12th, 2020, 2:40 pm

AgsRock wrote:How do i get a Sam Merrill jersey. I saw one at the game on Saturday night and wondered where does one get one of those.
I’ve seen some on DH Gate and have been tempted to order, has anyone seen one in person?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



tysteve20
Posts: 228
Joined: August 28th, 2014, 3:21 pm
Has thanked: 116 times
Been thanked: 99 times

Re: Sam’s shot

Post by tysteve20 » February 12th, 2020, 2:56 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
El Sapo wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 9:46 am
Dagger. I'm pretty sure the neighbors heard my scream.

Just seeing that shot doesn't put the correct perspective on how big it was. I think we misplayed the previous 2-3 possessions. Things didn't look like they were going to go our way. Like posted above CSU had all the momentum. It was just an incredible play against their big guy.

It looked a little like that shot ( Smith ? ) made in the tourney vs Ohio State in the final seconds over their All American center.
We were up 68-59 with like 4 minutes to go and then went on one of our classic scoring droughts until Sam hit that 3 with 26 seconds to go. They had all the momentum at that point and the shot clock was winding down. Just an absolute clutch shot by Sam. Also clutch play getting the ball in bounds by porter and making 4 free throws to end the game.

Yes!! These need to stop Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



Usu0505
Posts: 550
Joined: March 12th, 2018, 6:51 pm
Has thanked: 149 times
Been thanked: 92 times

Re: Sam’s shot

Post by Usu0505 » February 12th, 2020, 5:16 pm

tysteve20 wrote:
Aggie84025 wrote:
El Sapo wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 9:46 am
Dagger. I'm pretty sure the neighbors heard my scream.

Just seeing that shot doesn't put the correct perspective on how big it was. I think we misplayed the previous 2-3 possessions. Things didn't look like they were going to go our way. Like posted above CSU had all the momentum. It was just an incredible play against their big guy.

It looked a little like that shot ( Smith ? ) made in the tourney vs Ohio State in the final seconds over their All American center.
We were up 68-59 with like 4 minutes to go and then went on one of our classic scoring droughts until Sam hit that 3 with 26 seconds to go. They had all the momentum at that point and the shot clock was winding down. Just an absolute clutch shot by Sam. Also clutch play getting the ball in bounds by porter and making 4 free throws to end the game.

Yes!! These need to stop Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tough on the road. Home team is going to get home stadium vibes and momentum.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



WannabeAgAlum
Posts: 100
Joined: November 15th, 2012, 6:48 pm
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 31 times

Re: Sam’s shot

Post by WannabeAgAlum » February 12th, 2020, 5:21 pm

Yossarian wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 11:03 am
El Sapo wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 9:46 am
Dagger. I'm pretty sure the neighbors heard my scream.

Just seeing that shot doesn't put the correct perspective on how big it was. I think we misplayed the previous 2-3 possessions. Things didn't look like they were going to go our way. Like posted above CSU had all the momentum. It was just an incredible play against their big guy.

It looked a little like that shot ( Smith ? ) made in the tourney vs Ohio State in the final seconds over their All American center.

Brown (Tony)
I think Tony is his middle name. First name: Downtown.



Blitz79
Posts: 1237
Joined: January 16th, 2011, 8:11 am
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 82 times

Re: Sam’s shot

Post by Blitz79 » February 12th, 2020, 5:45 pm

How about the long range 3 he made when Bean grabbed a board and knocked Queta down? Any video of that one?

He's like, hmm no Queta and no Bean. No Problem! Pulls up and hits it like a boss. I think that's what happened cuz the cameraman was sleeping.
These users thanked the author Blitz79 for the post:
WillCut72



User avatar
tootypoopoo
Posts: 330
Joined: February 26th, 2011, 7:29 pm
Has thanked: 35 times
Been thanked: 10 times

Re: Sam’s shot

Post by tootypoopoo » February 12th, 2020, 6:07 pm

Rawbirds wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 2:40 pm
AgsRock wrote:How do i get a Sam Merrill jersey. I saw one at the game on Saturday night and wondered where does one get one of those.
I’ve seen some on DH Gate and have been tempted to order, has anyone seen one in person?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can't speak specifically to the USU jerseys, but I got a Seahawks jersey from there (#54, of course). The quality was surprisingly good. I've been really happy with it. The shipping took forever though.



usufan1
Posts: 531
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:09 pm
Has thanked: 286 times
Been thanked: 57 times

Re: Sam’s shot

Post by usufan1 » February 12th, 2020, 6:21 pm

89Aggie wrote:
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 8:48 am
I love watching Coach Smith's reaction to this.
Almost equally as good is watching the CSU fans reactions. Like the guy behind Scotty G on the front row with the blue shirt.

I've had that same feeling many times when it feels like your team has a chance just to have it ripped away.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author usufan1 for the post (total 2):
sneedUsu0505



QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score
Posts: 15724
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 12:08 pm
Location: 서울
Has thanked: 119 times
Been thanked: 556 times

Sam’s shot

Post by QuackAttackAggie » February 13th, 2020, 2:10 am

usufan1 wrote:
89Aggie wrote:
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 8:48 am
I love watching Coach Smith's reaction to this.
Almost equally as good is watching the CSU fans reactions. Like the guy behind Scotty G on the front row with the blue shirt.

I've had that same feeling many times when it feels like your team has a chance just to have it ripped away.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Watch the guy under the basket barely visible to the right of the under armor logo (in the gap of the basket supports)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author QuackAttackAggie for the post:
usufan1



User avatar
Real Life Aggie
Posts: 975
Joined: April 10th, 2019, 4:28 pm
Location: North Ogden, UT
Has thanked: 1078 times
Been thanked: 439 times

Re: Sam’s shot

Post by Real Life Aggie » February 13th, 2020, 11:30 am

WannabeAgAlum wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 5:21 pm
Yossarian wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 11:03 am
El Sapo wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 9:46 am
Dagger. I'm pretty sure the neighbors heard my scream.

Just seeing that shot doesn't put the correct perspective on how big it was. I think we misplayed the previous 2-3 possessions. Things didn't look like they were going to go our way. Like posted above CSU had all the momentum. It was just an incredible play against their big guy.

It looked a little like that shot ( Smith ? ) made in the tourney vs Ohio State in the final seconds over their All American center.

Brown (Tony)
I think Tony is his middle name. First name: Downtown.
A common misconception. "Tony" is actually a nickname. It's Downtown "Tony" Brown.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic