Recruiting

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
slcagg

Re: Recruiting

Post by slcagg » April 13th, 2020, 12:36 pm

These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
aggies22

cbingham

Post by cbingham » April 13th, 2020, 1:37 pm

rAggie wrote:
April 12th, 2020, 10:12 pm
cbingham wrote:
April 12th, 2020, 5:26 pm

Not true... OSU is at the lost level of Big10 academics and their MBA isn’t terribly well respected. Although nominally better than USU, OSU isn’t a ticket to anything other than regional jobs. I’ve worked at two Fortune 100s and we only recruited MBAs for a single division that happened to be in C-bus... any they were considered the lowest rung. He, likely many on the board, must espouse the hats in the mall theory.
What are you talking about cbingham? Fisher has the No. 38 program in the latest US News and World Report rankings. USU, mind you, is unranked. BYU is No. 30 and Utah is 48 IIRC.

Since it's been discussed a bit in this thread, there are a few different types of MBA programs.

Full Time MBAs are where students attend for two years, full time, and are encouraged to not work during the program (some programs disallow working during the program so that you can focus on networking, projects, internships, etc...). Lower ranked MBA programs will take students directly after their undergrad but the more well respected programs require some work experience prior to enrollment.

Professional MBA programs are part-time "night" MBAs that are often the same curriculum and courses and professors as the full time program. In my program at Utah, many of our full time MBA electives were at night and shared with the Professional MBA students.

Executive MBA programs are "weekend" MBA programs that are tailored to mid-career individuals/executives who are looking to network and build some credentials. These programs are traditionally ran by a different department than those that handle traditional MBA programs, often the same department that handles continuing education and professional certifications.

Then you have USU. USU continues to offer a "one year MBA" program that imo is an incredible disservice to its students. I can say without question that at my employer we do not consider USU MBAs because it simply doesn't carry the same rigor as a real full time, two-year program.
Tyler, as a UofU MBAer I’m not surprised that you’d feel that way. I have an MBA from Utah State and it hasn’t held me back professionally. Outside the state of Utah I hate to say that most individuals that I know don’t know the difference between the Utah schools. If anything the Huntsman brand has been helpful as it shares naming with the building which houses the Wharton school. From my experience recruiting MBAs within the healthcare space I’m not sure that the brand of MBA totally matters outside the top 10 or so unless it’s on a regional basis. I totally get why there would be bias at Adobe against USU in favor of the U and BYU. What flag do you now fly in front of your house.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » April 13th, 2020, 1:45 pm

cbingham wrote:
April 13th, 2020, 1:37 pm
rAggie wrote:
cbingham wrote:

Not true... OSU is at the lost level of Big10 academics and their MBA isn’t terribly well respected. Although nominally better than USU, OSU isn’t a ticket to anything other than regional jobs. I’ve worked at two Fortune 100s and we only recruited MBAs for a single division that happened to be in C-bus... any they were considered the lowest rung. He, likely many on the board, must espouse the hats in the mall theory.
What are you talking about cbingham? Fisher has the No. 38 program in the latest US News and World Report rankings. USU, mind you, is unranked. BYU is No. 30 and Utah is 48 IIRC.

Since it's been discussed a bit in this thread, there are a few different types of MBA programs.

Full Time MBAs are where students attend for two years, full time, and are encouraged to not work during the program (some programs disallow working during the program so that you can focus on networking, projects, internships, etc...). Lower ranked MBA programs will take students directly after their undergrad but the more well respected programs require some work experience prior to enrollment.

Professional MBA programs are part-time "night" MBAs that are often the same curriculum and courses and professors as the full time program. In my program at Utah, many of our full time MBA electives were at night and shared with the Professional MBA students.

Executive MBA programs are "weekend" MBA programs that are tailored to mid-career individuals/executives who are looking to network and build some credentials. These programs are traditionally ran by a different department than those that handle traditional MBA programs, often the same department that handles continuing education and professional certifications.

Then you have USU. USU continues to offer a "one year MBA" program that imo is an incredible disservice to its students. I can say without question that at my employer we do not consider USU MBAs because it simply doesn't carry the same rigor as a real full time, two-year program.
Tyler, as a UofU MBAer I’m not surprised that you’d feel that way. I have an MBA from Utah State and it hasn’t held me back professionally. Outside the state of Utah I hate to say that most individuals that I know don’t know the difference between the Utah schools. If anything the Huntsman brand has been helpful as it shares naming with the building which houses the Wharton school. From my experience recruiting MBAs within the healthcare space I’m not sure that the brand of MBA totally matters outside the top 10 or so unless it’s on a regional basis. I totally get why there would be bias at Adobe against USU in favor of the U and BYU. What flag do you now fly in front of your house.
Kim Clark (A previous President of the Harvard Business School and President of BYU-Idaho) once said in a meeting that I attended that after the top 20 MBA programs it really doesn't matter what MBA program you attend.

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » April 13th, 2020, 2:58 pm

slcagg wrote:
April 13th, 2020, 1:45 pm
cbingham wrote:
rAggie wrote:
cbingham wrote:

Kim Clark (A previous President of the Harvard Business School and President of BYU-Idaho) once said in a meeting that I attended that after the top 20 MBA programs it really doesn't matter what MBA program you attend.
Coming from someone who is currenlty applying for MBA Schools, this is pretty spot on. Unless you are applying to one of the 25 Schools in the "Top 20," the only reason to go to an MBA School out of state would be wanting to live in that area after school. So with Abel, unless he wants to live in or by Colombus, getting a degree from Ohio State won't mean anything more to future employers here in Utah than a Masters from Utah State except for diversifying his resume. Either way, I hope he does well.

As for the Big Three Universities in Utah, here's what I think about their MBA Programs:

USU: Good one year, executive, and professional MBA programs that are well priced and have a great distance Ed program, so you don't have to be in Logan to get your degree. This is the ideal option for people who want to boost their resume and work their way up the company they are currently in. They can still work full time, and get their MBA wherever they are across the state.

UofU: This is the school to go to if you want to change careers and get a good paying job in the State of Utah. They are very proactive about getting their students in contact with local companies along the Wasatch Front. They are Top 50 program that is improving.

byu: Best bang for you buck. Highest rated program in the state. Biggest Network, but they tend to push their graduates out of state so they can get higher salaries to keep their ratings high. The program feels like a factory. And they're weird, very weird.

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » April 13th, 2020, 2:58 pm

Here is an interesting name....although I bet he goes P5.

SLB

Post by SLB » April 13th, 2020, 3:10 pm

SLB

Post by SLB » April 13th, 2020, 3:12 pm

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » April 13th, 2020, 5:55 pm

SLB wrote:
April 13th, 2020, 3:10 pm
For anyone that is interested we DID contact him.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
SLBReal Life Aggie

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » April 13th, 2020, 5:57 pm

slcagg wrote:
April 13th, 2020, 12:36 pm
If he really did his own stat work, Jon sees the writing on the wall.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
slcaggSLB

SLB

Post by SLB » April 13th, 2020, 6:41 pm

aggies22 wrote:
April 13th, 2020, 5:55 pm
SLB wrote:
April 13th, 2020, 3:10 pm
For anyone that is interested we DID contact him.
I remembered that 22 from earlier, and I saw the update and posted it.
These users thanked the author SLB for the post (total 2):
slcaggaggies22

SLB

Post by SLB » April 13th, 2020, 6:44 pm

Big update with Fresno State

These users thanked the author SLB for the post:
aggies22

slcagg

Post by slcagg » April 13th, 2020, 6:53 pm

SLB wrote:
April 13th, 2020, 6:44 pm
Big update with Fresno State

Big hit to Fresno and their future. Big hit.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
aggies22

SLB

Post by SLB » April 13th, 2020, 7:46 pm

SLB

Post by SLB » April 14th, 2020, 10:08 am

:wtf:

SLB

Post by SLB » April 14th, 2020, 10:11 am

SLB wrote:
April 14th, 2020, 10:08 am

My feeling

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » April 14th, 2020, 12:14 pm

SLB wrote:

We did NOT contact him.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
SLB

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » April 14th, 2020, 12:58 pm

cbingham wrote:
rAggie wrote:
cbingham wrote:

rAggie is USU all the way he donates to the cause. Asking what flag he fly's in front of his house is a real cheap shot. I would much rather have a degree from The Ohio state university than USU, because of the vast number of OSU grads, and everyone knows about the school USU not so much, same thing with a degree from the U, but that difference is not as great.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » April 14th, 2020, 1:11 pm

nvspuds wrote:
April 12th, 2020, 2:17 pm
True..However, he may have known that he would want a new adventure. But, I don't think Ohio State gave him a scholarship just because. They believe he can help the team.

I have no problem with players leaving as grad transfers. It is not disloyal or short sighted. It is about living a little before settling down. Sometimes it isn't about minutes or winning. Maybe it is nothing other than seeing a bit of the country.
Agreed. It’s a very good thing to live and go to school in another place and another culture. Maybe even more important or more educational than the school work/degree itself. I always encourage kids to go to a different school in a different place for their next degree. All other things being equal, I would hire someone with a broad, diverse educational experience over someone with multiple degrees from one place.

SLB

Post by SLB » April 14th, 2020, 1:28 pm

aggies22 wrote:
April 14th, 2020, 12:14 pm
SLB wrote:

We did NOT contact him.
I was hoping that we got him or the guy from South Carolina. We contacted that player from Temple from the info that you said.

SLB

Post by SLB » April 14th, 2020, 2:46 pm

Continue impact of the rule changes

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » April 14th, 2020, 2:49 pm

SLB wrote:
April 14th, 2020, 1:28 pm
aggies22 wrote:
April 14th, 2020, 12:14 pm
SLB wrote:

We did NOT contact him.
I was hoping that we got him or the guy from South Carolina. We contacted that player from Temple from the info that you said.
That is correct.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » April 14th, 2020, 2:50 pm

SLB wrote:
April 14th, 2020, 2:46 pm

I think there is a better chance that this dude is probably going to be academically ineligible and he has to find someplace to play next season.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » April 14th, 2020, 3:22 pm

aggies22 wrote:
April 14th, 2020, 2:50 pm
SLB wrote:
April 14th, 2020, 2:46 pm

I think there is a better chance that this dude is probably going to be academically ineligible and he has to find someplace to play next season.
Poor guy is going to have to settle for playing for over a million dollars next year instead of playing for 1/4 of a BS degree.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post (total 3):
aggies22SLBReal Life Aggie

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » April 14th, 2020, 3:38 pm

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... shad-davis

This is an interesting guy. Grad transfer.

In a game against NV this past season he went for 14 points and 10 rebounds in 19 minutes. He is just relentless on the boards..He gets a lot of offensive rebounds. He is the type of role player that could back up all 3 guard spots, play defense and board..Very athletic..

Not a star but a nice puzzle piece.
These users thanked the author nvspuds for the post (total 2):
flying_scotsman2.0aggies22

SLB

Post by SLB » April 14th, 2020, 5:03 pm

Weber State are getting a lot of transfers.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » April 14th, 2020, 6:56 pm

SLB wrote:
April 13th, 2020, 7:46 pm

Guy's name's Sharon?

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

SLB

Post by SLB » April 14th, 2020, 7:26 pm

Not New Mexico :thumbsup:

SLB

Post by SLB » April 14th, 2020, 7:35 pm

:shock:

GUS

Post by GUS » April 14th, 2020, 7:42 pm

Was today the first day of the spring recruiting season to sign letters of intent?

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » April 14th, 2020, 11:01 pm

GUS wrote:
April 14th, 2020, 7:42 pm
Was today the first day of the spring recruiting season to sign letters of intent?
Nope tomorrow (the 15th).

SLB

Post by SLB » April 15th, 2020, 9:29 am

GUS

Post by GUS » April 15th, 2020, 10:04 am

aggies22 wrote:
April 14th, 2020, 11:01 pm
GUS wrote:
So, should we expect any signings today?

SLB

Post by SLB » April 15th, 2020, 10:27 am

GUS wrote:
April 15th, 2020, 10:04 am
aggies22 wrote:
GUS wrote:
I am seeing non-Aggie signings, so I would watch for it.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » April 15th, 2020, 10:28 am

GUS wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
GUS wrote:
Right now we don’t have anyone to sign unless there is a surprise. It’s not do or die to sign someone today. There are a lot of free agents available...oops I mean players.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » April 15th, 2020, 10:30 am

GUS wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
GUS wrote:
I would be very surprised if we announced a signing today.

Locked Previous topicNext topic