Beat em in the tournament

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
MetsJetsAggies

Beat em in the tournament

Post by MetsJetsAggies » February 1st, 2020, 10:10 pm

Beatable team, won't have the home court refs

Should be a good one
These users thanked the author MetsJetsAggies for the post:
hipsterdoofus21

ThunderAggie

Re: Beat em in the tournament

Post by ThunderAggie » February 1st, 2020, 10:11 pm

Yep. Can't wait to play them again.

utaggies

Post by utaggies » February 1st, 2020, 10:12 pm

I am so confident that I hope we get the #4 seed and play them in the semis. :roll:

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » February 1st, 2020, 10:12 pm

Anderson should play D on Mitchell more if possible, he just ran over Bean and he couldn't be stopped
These users thanked the author MetsJetsAggies for the post (total 3):
AggiewestMarioWesttreesap32

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » February 1st, 2020, 10:13 pm

utaggies wrote:
February 1st, 2020, 10:12 pm
I am so confident that I hope we get the #4 seed and play them in the semis. :roll:
7 point spread on the road, will be 3 point spread on neutral. They've gone unconscious from 3 in both games

slcagg

Post by slcagg » February 1st, 2020, 10:14 pm

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
Anderson should play D on Mitchell more if possible, he just ran over Bean and he couldn't be stopped
I actually thought we matched up better when we queta and 4 wings.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » February 1st, 2020, 10:15 pm

We can't beat them in the tournament either. We can't shoot well enough from the outside and it wasn't just tonight, it's been all season long.
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post (total 3):
utaggiesBill_GeorgeJjoey52

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » February 1st, 2020, 10:15 pm

Better beat them in the tournament, otherwise USUs season will end with a loss in the MWCT.

Eutaw St. Aggie

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » February 1st, 2020, 10:20 pm

Yossarian wrote:
February 1st, 2020, 10:15 pm
Better beat them in the tournament, otherwise USUs season will end with a loss in the MWCT.
If we win out the rest of the games, make the MW championship as the #2 seed and lose to an undefeated or maybe 1 loss SDSU team, I think we still make the tournament, but probably end up in a play in game as an 11 seed.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » February 1st, 2020, 10:23 pm

I actually came away with more confidence going forward after this game. We struggled shooting down the stretch and Mitchell was awesome from 3 in the 2nd half. I am confident we can win every game the rest of the conference regular season. Now I don't know if we will, but we shall see.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post (total 3):
SaintAggieTrueBlueAggie123Jjoey52

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » February 1st, 2020, 10:24 pm

ThunderAggie wrote:
February 1st, 2020, 10:20 pm
Yossarian wrote:
If we win out the rest of the games, make the MW championship as the #2 seed and lose to an undefeated or maybe 1 loss SDSU team, I think we still make the tournament, but probably end up in a play in game as an 11 seed.
That's a lot of "ifs ". Especially for a team that has won exactly one road game in conference and that was against the worst team in the league

Eutaw St. Aggie

utaggies

Post by utaggies » February 1st, 2020, 10:24 pm

Our biggest remaining game is at CSU. If we lose that game we don’t finish 2nd and maybe not even 3rd.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » February 1st, 2020, 10:25 pm

Aggie84025 wrote:
February 1st, 2020, 10:23 pm
I actually came away with more confidence going forward after this game. We struggled shooting down the stretch and Mitchell was awesome from 3 in the 2nd half. I am confident we can win every game the rest of the conference regular season. Now I don't know if we will, but we shall see.
By "down the stretch", do you mean "since November"?

Eutaw St. Aggie

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » February 1st, 2020, 10:27 pm

Yossarian wrote:
February 1st, 2020, 10:25 pm
Aggie84025 wrote:
February 1st, 2020, 10:23 pm
By "down the stretch", do you mean "since November"?
We have had moments. In the 2nd half against CSU we shot like 68%. In the first half tonight we were shooting great, but you are right this team has struggled shooting.

SLB

Post by SLB » February 1st, 2020, 10:28 pm

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
February 1st, 2020, 10:10 pm

Should be a good one
I said it before, and I will say again. The way teams have beaten us by the following: refs helping our opponent and physical play by the opponent with intent of injuring our players.
Look at the San Jose State game, Brito was on a roll then the San Jose State game happen with being headbutted and other stuff. Brito slipped on the floor to cap off his night of being beat up.
Merrill had a black eye with no review in the Air Force game.
It goes on and on with lame crap that teams got desperate in beating us by any means.
This team will keep going forward with everything and injuries and find a way to keep winning.

dogie

Post by dogie » February 1st, 2020, 10:32 pm

Yossarian wrote:
February 1st, 2020, 10:24 pm
ThunderAggie wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
That's a lot of "ifs ". Especially for a team that has won exactly one road game in conference and that was against the worst team in the league
They have already beaten SJSU and Wyoming on the road. The easy part of the schedule lies ahead. They will be favored in six of the seven remaining games. Most likely only CSU will be favored, and that’s a winnable game.

If they win the next seven games, they will take an upper 30’s NET ranking into the MWC tournament, and maybe even better.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » February 1st, 2020, 10:34 pm

SLB wrote:
February 1st, 2020, 10:28 pm
MetsJetsAggies wrote:

Should be a good one
I said it before, and I will say again. The way teams have beaten us by the following: refs helping our opponent and physical play by the opponent with intent of injuring our players.
Look at the San Jose State game, Brito was on a roll then the San Jose State game happen with being headbutted and other stuff. Brito slipped on the floor to cap off his night of being beat up.
It goes on and on with lame crap that teams got desperate in beating us by any means.
This team will keep going forward with everything and injuries and find a way to keep winning.
Refs didn't cost us the game, missing wide open three's all second half cost us the game.

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » February 1st, 2020, 10:38 pm

dogie wrote:
February 1st, 2020, 10:32 pm
Yossarian wrote:
ThunderAggie wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
They have already beaten SJSU and Wyoming on the road. The easy part of the schedule lies ahead. They will be favored in six of the seven remaining games. Most likely only CSU will be favored, and that’s a winnable game.

If they win the next seven games, they will take an upper 30’s NET ranking into the MWC tournament, and maybe even better.
Yep. If the scenario where we won out except the MW champ game vs an undefeated SDSU, than 3 of our 8 losses would be to a potential #1 team in the country. Then add on 2 losses to potential tourney teams (BYU, St Marys), we would really have only 3 bad losses, although really only 2 because Boise State is decent.

SLB

Post by SLB » February 1st, 2020, 10:39 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
February 1st, 2020, 10:34 pm
SLB wrote:
MetsJetsAggies wrote:

Should be a good one
Refs didn't cost us the game, missing wide open three's all second half cost us the game.
Mitchell should have fouled out, but the refs like Mitchell so he stays in.
Same story with that Florida PF, we were not allow to play defense on that guy.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » February 1st, 2020, 10:41 pm

SLB wrote:
February 1st, 2020, 10:39 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
February 1st, 2020, 10:34 pm
SLB wrote:
MetsJetsAggies wrote:

Should be a good one
Mitchell should have fouled out, but the refs like Mitchell so he stays in.
Same story with that Florida PF, we were not allow to play defense on that guy.
They hit their threes and we didn't. That was really the difference.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » February 1st, 2020, 10:42 pm

As expected, we lost. Now need to win out and advance to the conference title game to have a chance at the tourney, IMO.

That would put us at 26-8. Maybe we sneak in at 25-9 if we lose @CSU. Any loss besides @CSU, and I think we’ll need to win the conference tourney.
Last edited by ineptimusprime on February 1st, 2020, 10:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » February 1st, 2020, 10:43 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
SLB wrote:
MetsJetsAggies wrote:

Should be a good one
We shot poorly for sure and they got really hot from 3. They did the same in the first half but we were able to stay within striking distance until they cooled off. In the 2nd half though, the refs were not calling a straight up game. They got caught up in the home crowd and the Leonard celebration. It made it so we couldn’t stay within striking range.

The main thing I noticed was we couldn’t touch their guys when they were driving while they could make hard contact against us without a call. Miller has the ball and was dribbling and Mitchel ran him over and no call. It happened all over. Also, Mitchell pushed off on Bean on one of his step back 3s. Mitchel also dropped his shoulder and hit Bean in the chest on a drive and Bean fell back and they called Bean with a flopping call. That was horrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author scotlandog for the post (total 2):
MetsJetsAggiesGUS

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » February 1st, 2020, 10:48 pm

scotlandog wrote:
February 1st, 2020, 10:43 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
SLB wrote:
MetsJetsAggies wrote:

Should be a good one
We shot poorly for sure and they got really hot from 3. They did the same in the first half but we were able to stay within striking distance until they cooled off. In the 2nd half though, the refs were not calling a straight up game. They got caught up in the home crowd and the Leonard celebration. It made it so we couldn’t stay within striking range.

The main thing I noticed was we couldn’t touch their guys when they were driving while they could make hard contact against us without a call. Miller has the ball and was dribbling and Mitchel ran him over and no call. It happened all over. Also, Mitchell pushed off on Bean on one of his step back 3s. Mitchel also dropped his shoulder and hit Bean in the chest on a drive and Bean fell back and they called Bean with a flopping call. That was horrible.

Not to mention when he ran into Miller who was on offense and almost knocked him over. That for sure should have been a foul. Also Brito turning the ball 3 straight possessions in the 2nd half killed us.
These users thanked the author Aggie84025 for the post:
FloridaAggie13

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » February 1st, 2020, 10:48 pm

scotlandog wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
SLB wrote:
MetsJetsAggies wrote:

Should be a good one

Yep, I saw exactly the same thing. And when they were open they made their shots and when we were open we missed our shots.

We make our open shots, and we had plenty, we win.

SLB

Post by SLB » February 1st, 2020, 10:53 pm

scotlandog wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
SLB wrote:
MetsJetsAggies wrote:

Should be a good one

This response is correct, and the folks defending refs no matter what are silly.
I have seen some great people at it, some ok, and some terrible clearly have a bias. I have seen it in sports that I played in when growing up. It sucks when the terrible ones are involve.

Aggiewest

Post by Aggiewest » February 1st, 2020, 10:59 pm

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
Totally agree, he has the size and strength to body up to him. Bean gets throughen around like wrag doll.
These users thanked the author Aggiewest for the post:
scotlandog

Aggiewest

Post by Aggiewest » February 1st, 2020, 11:04 pm

Unless we get some consistent good play from Miller, Brito, and Porter, the results will be the same.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » February 1st, 2020, 11:30 pm

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
February 1st, 2020, 10:13 pm
utaggies wrote:
7 point spread on the road, will be 3 point spread on neutral. They've gone unconscious from 3 in both games
Are they unconscious or just good?

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » February 2nd, 2020, 12:39 am

aggies22 wrote:
February 1st, 2020, 11:30 pm
MetsJetsAggies wrote:
February 1st, 2020, 10:13 pm
utaggies wrote:
Are they unconscious or just good?
Obviously they're good. I think we've played decently well in both games. Like others have said we need to hit our open shots as well, but they've hit 12-13+ 3s in both games, on a average shooting night for them we played well enough to win either game

That's basketball. Law of averages and all that. Beat em in the tourney, we did it last year

Chupamedia

Post by Chupamedia » February 2nd, 2020, 7:10 am

SLB wrote: I said it before, and I will say again. The way teams have beaten us by the following: refs helping our opponent and physical play by the opponent with intent of injuring our players.
Playing the victim card will never lead to a win because you take no responsibility over the things you can control. You can’t control the refs- you can control your line up and work on your shooting. Sit around and blame the refs and you will never improve. They are losing any games for us.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » February 2nd, 2020, 7:16 am

Chupamedia wrote:
February 2nd, 2020, 7:10 am
SLB wrote: I said it before, and I will say again. The way teams have beaten us by the following: refs helping our opponent and physical play by the opponent with intent of injuring our players.
Playing the victim card will never lead to a win because you take no responsibility over the things you can control. You can’t control the refs- you can control your line up and work on your shooting. Sit around and blame the refs and you will never improve. They are losing any games for us.
This. We had open threes just like SDSU did, but the difference was they made them. We had too many turnovers and stopped winning the 50-50 balls like we did in the first half. They were much better at hero ball than we were. We don't have the horses to play hero ball. SDSU does, I mean they literally have a horse out there.

Al-O-Meter

Post by Al-O-Meter » February 2nd, 2020, 7:41 am

ThunderAggie wrote:
February 1st, 2020, 10:38 pm
dogie wrote:
February 1st, 2020, 10:32 pm
Yossarian wrote:
ThunderAggie wrote:

Yep. If the scenario where we won out except the MW champ game vs an undefeated SDSU, than 3 of our 8 losses would be to a potential #1 team in the country. Then add on 2 losses to potential tourney teams (BYU, St Marys), we would really have only 3 bad losses, although really only 2 because Boise State is decent.
I agree with this. I do think the Aggies have a shot at the dance even if they lose to the Aztecs in the MWCT.

Currently the Aggies have a NET ranking of #57. The cut-off for making the NCAA tourney seems to be in the high-40’s. The Aggies only have to raise their NET ranking by about 10 places from where they are right now. With the signature LSU win in their back pocket, that is all it will take. It is doable. Run the table and win most by double digits. If the Aggies do that I think rising a measly 10 NET places between now and Selection Sunday is theirs for the taking.

FL350Aggie

Post by FL350Aggie » February 2nd, 2020, 8:12 am

I agree they will basically have to win out and perform well in the MWCT to get to the big dance. The remaining regular season games are winnable with @CSU the most difficult one.
As for the refs, yes a lot of missed calls but that’s b-ball. The worst one for me though is when Bean drove and was rejected, ball bounced to Miller he went to drive and Mitchell all but ran him over. Brock spun out of it and kept his balance, but I couldn’t believe that one. Interesting enough the Aztecs shot twice as many foul shots.
Definitely can’t blame the refs, USU still had their chances. They were getting open looks down the stretch, they just weren’t falling. They ended up shooting 46% from the field, and 42.9% from three. SDSU was 48% and 43.8%.
If USU can end the season in second or third, hopefully the rematch is for the championship. That would be fun. The Aggies could get them.

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » February 2nd, 2020, 9:24 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
Chupamedia wrote:
February 2nd, 2020, 7:10 am
This. We had open threes just like SDSU did, but the difference was they made them. We had too many turnovers and stopped winning the 50-50 balls like we did in the first half. They were much better at hero ball than we were. We don't have the horses to play hero ball. SDSU does, I mean they literally have a horse out there.
Yes we had open 3’s and we didn’t make them in the 2nd half. Making 3’s lately has not been our strength, especially when contested. We also didn’t win as many 50/50 balls either. I think the refs played a huge part In both of those things though.

In the first half, things were being called pretty equally. They played great ball and we played great ball. We hit 3’s. We got loose balls. We played physical and they played physical. In the 2nd half though, we could no longer play physical.

We were being called for soft contact going for rebounds and loose balls. That stopped the 50/50 balls going our way and offensive rebounds as we had to adjust how they are calling the game. They could continue to play physical without fouling and that also led to higher turnovers for us.

We also couldn’t play tough defense anymore to match their physical offense. Rewatch Bean getting a lowered shoulder to e chest and falling and Bean being called for a flop. Horrible call. Bean stopped playing good defense from that point on. He didn’t know what he could do anymore and it showed with Mitchell going off. We were dominating points in the paint but then with bowling ball Mitchell able to run anyone over, their shooting percentage when high as he could go inside whenever and get a foul on us or score. This also opened up their 3pt shooting as the defense was collapsing.

We had to switch to a zone for a while to stop the inside scoring. Then we got burned by the 3’s. That wouldn’t have happened had equal fouls had been called. So yeah they got their open 3’s but them being open was helped by how the game was being called.

Also, I don’t really think our 3’s were all that open. We were mostly contested or rushed 3’s. This is a result of the the physical defense they were playing. Queta struggled at first but then got going in the first. In the second half, he didn’t score a single point. 2 quick fouls on Queta to start the second changed things for how he could play. Also, think of the time Wetzel pulled him back while getting around him to steal the entry pass for a dunk. Or think of the alley
-oop that Queta got fouled on, which was actually called, but we didn’t get foul shots. How in the world is an alley-oop not a shooting foul?! He has the ball and their is literally nothing else you are doing with the ball but shooting. It is a shooting motion. That should have been 2 shots. Instead we have to rebound it on the baseline.

So with Queta and the inside game nullified by the refs, we are back to Duryea type offense of passing along the perimeter which does not produce wide open shots for the most part. This does not take away from the great shooting performance Mitchell had, making 4 3’s in a row. He hit those shots. But one was off a clear push off against Bean, the others were partly bc Bean was afraid to play close defense bc he would be called for a foul. So to say they hit their shots and we didn’t is true but not the whole story. The refs unfortunately effected how that game played out in the second in numerous ways.

I do believe we were playing well enough to win and that we can win given a fair shake. A neutral court in the tournament and I could see us pulling that victory out. The first half told us we can do it.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » February 2nd, 2020, 9:39 am

ThunderAggie wrote:
Yossarian wrote:
Yep. And if we had beaten Air Force, UNLV, Boise, and gotten a split against SDSU we’d be in the tournament.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Locked Previous topicNext topic