Miller's shot

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
mcaggie1

Re: Miller's shot

Post by mcaggie1 » January 23rd, 2020, 3:15 pm

sstewboy wrote:
January 23rd, 2020, 2:23 pm
and his shooting percentages over a long period of time don't come close to justifying the number of shots he takes.
[/quote]

I completely agree with this statement. I guess the point I was trying to make, and it's the same point Hipster makes above, is Brock can be a good shooter, but his shot selection is really poor at times. When he shoots in the flow of the offense and within the overall game plan, his numbers aren't bad. To me, that's as much on Coach Smith as it is on Miller.

I don't mean to use more selective stats here, but I think they are helpful to evaluate this issue. During the final 8 games of last season, which were arguably the most important/high pressure games of the year (@BSU, @CSU, Nevada, New Mexico, Conference Tournament, and NCAA Tournament), Miller averaged 3.8 three point attempts per game. That's more of a number I think we can all live with him shooting. Of those attempts, he made 40.7%.

How about this year? During Quadrant 1 games, Miller has averaged only 2.8 three point attempts per game and he has made 35.3% of them. Again, those numbers are more in line with what we can all live with. I would argue these numbers show Miller (1) is on a tighter leash during the "big games", whether that is coaching or self-imposed is unclear, but it is a good thing and (2) can be effective against strong teams and in big games (not only able to score against inferior teams, as some have suggested).

All of that being said, don't get me wrong here. I am as frustrated as the next fan when I see Miller jack up a 28 footer or attempt a huge Harden-like step back three. Those shots are not in his wheel house. But watch him when he shoots a three within the flow of the offense where he can step into the shot. He can and does make those shots. That's all I'm trying to say in this thread. He can shoot, but it needs to be the right kind of shot.
[/quote]

Fair, and well stated. I hope Brock reads this kind of post and ignores the others.
These users thanked the author mcaggie1 for the post:
crazywookie

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » January 23rd, 2020, 3:40 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:
January 23rd, 2020, 3:15 pm

Fair, and well stated. I hope Brock reads this kind of post and ignores the others.
I hope that Brock, and all of the players, avoid these forums like the plague.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » January 23rd, 2020, 3:53 pm

sneed wrote:
January 22nd, 2020, 7:41 pm
bullshot wrote:I thought I heard yesterday on the radio that USU’s 3 pt % is 349th out of 350. Too lazy to verify, but sounds about right.
#246. Not good. Maybe the 349 is since conference play - I would believe that.
Interestingly - Auburn (which has lost just 2 games all year) is shooting a lower percentage from 3 than is USU (as is Kentucky, Washington, LSU, Tennessee, and quite a few others that would surprise you).

Eutaw St. Aggie

Locked Previous topicNext topic