Merrill & Finishing?

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
ryguy417

Merrill & Finishing?

Post by ryguy417 » January 21st, 2020, 10:10 pm

I know I will get an ear full and how dare I challenge the golden child Merrill, but honestly, how often does he make a layup when he is fouled? I love his aggressiveness and willingness to take a beating to get to the stripe, but I can’t remember the last time he had an and-1? He gets to the hoop, but rarely finishes. Many other players on other teams, with less talent seem to have just enough athleticism to make it happen.

Is it just me?

dyedblue

Re: Merrill & Finishing?

Post by dyedblue » January 21st, 2020, 10:24 pm

Merrill fades away and goes to the ground. That’s why he doesn’t get as many calls as most star players get. It’s hard to finish through contact when your falling down versus going through someone.

Merrill has flaws in his fake like any player does. He gets a pass because he’s a damn good player that brings so much to the table. He is one of the best ever to don an Aggie uniform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author dyedblue for the post (total 4):
ryguy417SaintAggielionheadReal Life Aggie

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Cuchelain

Post by Cuchelain » January 21st, 2020, 11:39 pm

Well, I remember kind of an important and 1 that he had last year against Boise that miraculously forced overtime and allowed us to steal that game. Maybe it’s just me but I thought that was a pretty good and 1.

dogie

Post by dogie » January 22nd, 2020, 1:03 am

Jalen Moore also had a hard time finishing at the rim. Both he and Merrill have taken a lot of highly contested shots near the basket and you could almost say they forced a lot of them.

If you ask me, Merrill should worry more about putting the ball in the basket (which means staying on his feet) than drawing fouls as he goes to the rim. I’m a little surprised that his tendency to hit the floor four or five times a game hasn’t been coached out of him. He rarely makes the basket or draws the foul when he does that.

Bean and Queta seem to finish a little better at the rim, including when they get fouled. Maybe the difference is that most of their short shots come on post moves or interior passes, while most of Merrill’s and Moore’s came from driving to the basket, often at high speed and on the edge of being out of control.

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » January 22nd, 2020, 8:15 am

Does Merrill fall to the ground on layups during warmups. I’m starting to think that is just his natural motion now. Really have never seen a player go to the ground almost every time they drive to the hoop.

Locked Previous topicNext topic