So we went from probably needing to win the MWCT...

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
OKAggie

So we went from probably needing to win the MWCT...

Post by OKAggie » January 19th, 2020, 11:24 am

...to definitely needing to win the MWCT. A disappointing turn of events.

Thing is: this sort of game is what I love about sports. Unexpected things happen in every game, and occasionally a bunch of them happen in just the right sequence to make for a forgettable loss like last night (or a memorable win, from BSU's point of view).

I just love it a lot less when it happens to my teams. As an Aggie, Astro and Texan fan: it's been a dispiriting week.

Nobody here knows anything.

FloridaAggie13

Re: So we went from probably needing to win the MWCT...

Post by FloridaAggie13 » January 19th, 2020, 1:28 pm

It already was a necessity after the AF loss.
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post (total 3):
utaggiesFormer_USU_Alumniaggies22

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » January 19th, 2020, 2:48 pm

OKAggie wrote:
January 19th, 2020, 11:24 am

Thing is: this sort of game is what I love about sports. Unexpected things happen in every game, and occasionally a bunch of them happen in just the right sequence to make for a forgettable loss like last night (or a memorable win, from BSU's point of view).

I just love it a lot less when it happens to my teams. As an Aggie, Astro and Texan fan: it's been a dispiriting week.
I disagree that this will be a forgettable loss. I think people will remember this for a long, long time.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post:
Former_USU_Alumni

Eutaw St. Aggie

utaggies

Post by utaggies » January 19th, 2020, 2:55 pm

Yossarian wrote:
January 19th, 2020, 2:48 pm
OKAggie wrote:
January 19th, 2020, 11:24 am

I disagree that this will be a forgettable loss. I think people will remember this for a long, long time.
I agree. We remember the unforgettable winning moments but the losing ones, too. On the losing side, and only for me, this will go down with the following:
- losing to LBS when Jerry Green went the length of the court
- losing to Pacific when we had a similar end-of-game meltdown
- losing to BYU when it was their only win of the year

Thankfully the BSU loss was not at the Spectrum but Aggie fans will be lamenting this loss 30 years from now and the team will NEVER forget it.

BSU fans are calling it the the most shocking win in the 35 years that Taco Bell Arena has been around. The Broncos are not likely to forget their win anytime soon.
Last edited by utaggies on January 19th, 2020, 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dkdavis

Post by Dkdavis » January 19th, 2020, 3:00 pm

Maybe it’s already been brought up but we had a similar win at Bosie last year. To me that was an unforgettable win and this game will probably be always tied to it.
These users thanked the author Dkdavis for the post:
aggies22

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » January 20th, 2020, 10:06 am

Sadly, this is right up there with that Pacific loss. Both will be touted in the same breath as terrible losses years from now.

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » January 23rd, 2020, 9:37 am

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... s-buy-sell

"Mountain West
San Diego State is a No. 1 seed in the latest Bracketology, and the next Mountain West team is ... in the NIT? The good news for the Mountain West is that despite recent struggles, Utah State is still the second-best team in the conference. Aggies standouts Sam Merrill and Justin Bean are both in the top 35 in the nation in adjusted win shares; Duke, Maryland and Minnesota are the only other teams with two players in the top 35 in that category. BPI favors Utah State in each of its remaining games except when it travels to San Diego State.

BPI prediction: 72% chance Utah State makes the tournament and 80% chance the Mountain West gets two teams into the tournament."

WOW! I am really surprised ESPN has us at a 72% chance of making the NCAA tourney! Although, I guess if we win the games we are favored in, we will win every one but the SDSU game. In that case, we could make the tourney as one of the last ones in even if we lost in the tourney. But we would want to lose in the championship game to either SDSU or NM. I think we have a path to the tourney without winning the conference championship, but the margin for error is small. I think they would forgive losses more if we are playing really well at the end of the season and the teams we beat perform very well.
Last edited by ThunderAggie on January 23rd, 2020, 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » January 23rd, 2020, 9:44 am

If we win every single game except @SDSU and then lose in the conference championship to SDSU I give us a decent shot at making the ncaa tournament.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
ThunderAggie

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » January 23rd, 2020, 9:50 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
January 23rd, 2020, 9:44 am
If we win every single game except @SDSU and then lose in the conference championship to SDSU I give us a decent shot at making the ncaa tournament.
Yep. I think that is why we have such a high chance of making the tournament. With the way we have been recently playing with Queta playing well the last 2 games (Minus the last 4 min of BSU game and OT), I think we can win all the games left but SDSU. I even think we can beat SDSU.

sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl

Post by sam tingey » January 23rd, 2020, 10:10 am

No hopes until I see a road win. Thanks for the shot of optimism though. It is neat seeing the win shares of Sam and Bean.

aggieguy13

Post by aggieguy13 » January 23rd, 2020, 10:38 am

I can't bear the thought of that Boise game being the difference between an at-large bid and the NIT, so I'm going to continue assuming that it's winning the tournament or bust for our NCAA hopes.
These users thanked the author aggieguy13 for the post:
Real Life Aggie

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » January 23rd, 2020, 10:46 am

While losing a few games that were very much winnable. 15 and 6 is still an awesome record and we still VERY much could finish the season with less than 10 losses.

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » January 23rd, 2020, 11:05 am

When you have some quality wins (LSU/Florida) then you are given some forgiveness for 1 or 2 bad losses like AFA or even Boise. In years past, 1 or 2 bad road losses was the disqualifier because we never had any good OOC wins. I would think if we win out other than 2 losses to SDSU, assuming the MWC final is competitive, a 27-7 record would be good enough for an at-large. We no longer have any margin for error though.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » January 23rd, 2020, 11:47 am

aggiesdotcom wrote:
January 23rd, 2020, 11:05 am
When you have some quality wins (LSU/Florida) then you are given some forgiveness for 1 or 2 bad losses like AFA or even Boise. In years past, 1 or 2 bad road losses was the disqualifier because we never had any good OOC wins. I would think if we win out other than 2 losses to SDSU, assuming the MWC final is competitive, a 27-7 record would be good enough for an at-large. We no longer have any margin for error though.
This is, like, the 3rd time we've had no margin for error. And every game is a must win for us, until we lose, then we say the next one is the final must win.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post (total 2):
flying_scotsman2.0sneed

gomretat

Post by gomretat » January 23rd, 2020, 1:44 pm

I will be shocked if we get an invite if we don't win the MWC tourney.

AggieFreak

Post by AggieFreak » January 23rd, 2020, 3:40 pm

I always see the world with blue goggles on. This is still a good season, but it has also been very disappointing based on our expectations. The AFA and BSU games almost sent me over the edge. When our team plays up to their ability, they are incredibly fun to watch and I think they can beat any team in our conference. In past years, I never would have believed in our chances against a team like Florida. This year, I absolutely expected a win. Stating the obvious here, but to take down SDSU, we will need to be flawless. I think there is still a chance, even if it small, to make the NCAA without a MWC title, but we have almost no margin for error for the rest of the conference games. Sam Merrill is one of my favorite Aggies of all time and I would love to see him get a NCAA tourney win before he is done.

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » January 23rd, 2020, 7:57 pm

The only thing that makes it hard is that Florida and LSU are tearing up the SEC right now. If they had both been busts it would be no question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GUS

Post by GUS » January 23rd, 2020, 8:28 pm

We may need to beat SDSU at least once to get consideration.

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » January 23rd, 2020, 8:35 pm

GUS wrote:
January 23rd, 2020, 8:28 pm
We may need to beat SDSU at least once to get consideration.
Yes! I think we may have a better chance of making the tournament if we win out including @ SDSU, but then drop a regular season game to either UNM or CSU @ their place. Then, lose in the conference championship to SDSU or the #4 team.

We would probably be one of the last 4 teams in and play in a play in game in that scenario....that being said lets just win the conference tournament!

Locked Previous topicNext topic