Can someone please spill the beans about

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Elkaggie

Can someone please spill the beans about

Post by Elkaggie » January 5th, 2020, 9:19 am

All the injuries. Scotty G kept hinting about injuries and other things that are plaguing the team that we as fans just don’t see. Then Coach Smith said in postgame that he has 9 guys fighting through some tough injuries. Maybe they all have the flu or bad colds.. I don’t know anything but the injury to Queta. He mentioned bad backs, High ankle sprains. I wish they would just come out and say what injuries are. My guess is the reason he doesn’t want to use is it as an excuse. So here is what we know:

Queta - Knee

Anybody know the rest?

Aggie84025

Re: Can someone please spill the beans about

Post by Aggie84025 » January 5th, 2020, 9:35 am

Sam's ankles are in bad shape. Same with porter and brito. Smith mentioned something about a shoulder having to be popped into place no clue who that is.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » January 5th, 2020, 9:38 am

Both of Sam’s ankles are bad right now. He also is obviously fighting a hurt hip or back or something. I noticed it last night with how much he struggled to get up after he went to the floor each time.

Brito is also also clearly fighting some injury, no idea what.

Given alphonso’s struggled lately and lack of minutes I think it’s also safe to assume he’s hurt.

Then Queta is obviously only about 80%.

GUS

Post by GUS » January 5th, 2020, 9:45 am

Smith also mentioned a separated shoulder.

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » January 5th, 2020, 9:49 am

Every D-1 team in America has multiple guys playing with nagging injuries. The game is played by big dudes in crowded areas, on hardwood floors. USU is blessed with a very deep team. Your guys are tough and experienced gamers. You had a tremendous clunker at UNLV but you lost to a better team who is really playing well last night. While you will likely have a couple more losses along the way you should be in line for a first round bye in the tournament. Nobody in the conference feels sorry for your plight and most schools would gladly trade places with your team.
These users thanked the author nvspuds for the post (total 6):
utaggiesvegasaggieFloridaAggie13TheAKAggieWillCut72Real Life Aggie

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » January 5th, 2020, 9:52 am

nvspuds wrote:
January 5th, 2020, 9:49 am
Every D-1 team in America has multiple guys playing with nagging injuries. The game is played by big dudes in crowded areas, on hardwood floors. USU is blessed with a very deep team. Your guys are tough and experienced gamers. You had a tremendous clunker at UNLV but you lost to a better team who is really playing well last night. While you will likely have a couple more losses along the way you should be in line for a first round bye in the tournament. Nobody in the conference feels sorry for your plight and most schools would gladly trade places with your team.
Damn, tell us how you really feel!
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
TheAKAggieReal Life Aggie

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » January 5th, 2020, 10:21 am

SDSU is plain better. We'll be lucky if we get one win against them.
Consider, Mitchell was their best player last year. He's lost 25 lbs and is better than he was last year and he's still not their best player this year.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
FloridaAggie13

sl7hk

Post by sl7hk » January 5th, 2020, 10:45 am

I am sure Porter is fighting through a lower back issue as he puts on some kind of electric shocker or something when he is sitting.

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » January 5th, 2020, 12:34 pm

Stall doesn't play much but he is always wearing that big belt for his back.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » January 5th, 2020, 4:49 pm

brownjeans wrote:
January 5th, 2020, 10:21 am
Consider, Mitchell was their best player last year. He's lost 25 lbs and is better than he was last year and he's still not their best player this year.
Outside of a healthy Queta, we don't have anyone that could start for SDSU.

Socrates2121

Post by Socrates2121 » January 5th, 2020, 5:05 pm

Bean also battled an ankle issue last night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bulls On Parade

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » January 5th, 2020, 6:45 pm

Porter was getting back treatment pretty much every timeout second half.

Hail Aggies!

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » January 5th, 2020, 7:15 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
January 5th, 2020, 4:49 pm
brownjeans wrote:
Are you serious? Sam Merrill would no doubt start on SDSU. Maybe even Bean. I think we forget how good Sam is as he really has not been able to play his game since he is being attacked and double teamed the entire game and a bit banged up.
These users thanked the author ThunderAggie for the post (total 3):
SaintAggieWillCut72oleblu111

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » January 5th, 2020, 7:27 pm

ThunderAggie wrote:
January 5th, 2020, 7:15 pm
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
January 5th, 2020, 4:49 pm
brownjeans wrote:
Are you serious? Sam Merrill would no doubt start on SDSU. Maybe even Bean. I think we forget how good Sam is as he really has not been able to play his game since he is being attacked and double teamed the entire game and a bit banged up.
Agree. SDSU is good but if we make a few free throws that game is completely different.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » January 5th, 2020, 7:31 pm

Sam scores 26 last night while being blanketed all night. He would stay for any team in the Mountain West.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

slcagg

Post by slcagg » January 5th, 2020, 8:00 pm

Sam would start pretty much for any team in the country let Alone the conference.
These users thanked the author slcagg for the post:
ThunderAggie

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » January 5th, 2020, 8:17 pm

Sam is also battling recurrent shin splints. And Miller has a severe case of alopecia.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post (total 4):
NicconQuackAttackAggieChicAggieflying_scotsman2.0

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » January 5th, 2020, 9:10 pm

slcagg wrote:
January 5th, 2020, 8:00 pm
Sam would start pretty much for any team in the country let Alone the conference.
I wasn't slighting Sam at all. He is a heck of a player but both SDSU guards went wherever they wanted, whenever they wanted with the ball. That is a special ability.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » January 5th, 2020, 9:14 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
January 5th, 2020, 9:10 pm
slcagg wrote:
I wasn't slighting Sam at all. He is a heck of a player but both SDSU guards went wherever they wanted, whenever they wanted with the ball. That is a special ability.
I feel like Sam has a knack for that when healthy.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » January 5th, 2020, 9:55 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
slcagg wrote:
Pretty sure the MW player of the year.....the MVP of the league would be able to start on any team, including SDSU.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » January 6th, 2020, 6:00 pm

nvspuds wrote:
Nobody is asking for your sympathy and nobody is looking for excuses. Injuries and what they might mean for the remainder of the season and whether we can get fully healthy are legitimate topics for discussion.

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » January 6th, 2020, 6:31 pm

Fair enough..My only point is most of the schools in the conference would gladly change places with you.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » January 6th, 2020, 9:12 pm

nvspuds wrote:
Yes, everyone is dealing with injuries. But nobody quite like USU, as evidenced here.

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » January 7th, 2020, 1:58 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
January 6th, 2020, 9:12 pm
nvspuds wrote:
Yes, everyone is dealing with injuries. But nobody quite like USU, as evidenced here.

Well to be honest we don’t have anybody that is out for the season or cannot play. There are some teams that have multiple players out for the the year in addition to a few nagging injuries bothering a few players. Look at the NBA for example, seems like every player is injured in some way or another.

I think our problem has way more to do with the play of the players and not their health. We are shooting the ball awful, playing with not as much effort as Smith teams of the past, and have a couple nagging injuries. But like I said, I wouldn’t say injuries is our biggest problem right now as long as Queta or Sam don’t get a year ending injury.

ShowMeAggie

Post by ShowMeAggie » January 7th, 2020, 2:22 pm

ThunderAggie wrote:
January 7th, 2020, 1:58 pm

Well to be honest we don’t have anybody that is out for the season or cannot play. There are some teams that have multiple players out for the the year in addition to a few nagging injuries bothering a few players. Look at the NBA for example, seems like every player is injured in some way or another.

I think our problem has way more to do with the play of the players and not their health. We are shooting the ball awful, playing with not as much effort as Smith teams of the past, and have a couple nagging injuries. But like I said, I wouldn’t say injuries is our biggest problem right now as long as Queta or Sam don’t get a year ending injury.
I say these are related....that we're not shooting the ball as well or appearing to give as much effort because of our injuries. Sam's not getting the lift and separation he usually gets on his jump shot. I say it's BECAUSE OF his ankles...not because he's regressed as a player or isn't giving as much effort. Same with Abel, Nemi, etc.

So while we have had no season-ending injuries (yes, I literally knocked on wood), it doesn't mean those injuries we do have can't have a substantial impact on our quality of play...maybe even more so than other teams, although that would be really difficult/impossible to quantify...

Locked Previous topicNext topic