San Diego State

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
SLB

San Diego State

Post by SLB » December 30th, 2019, 1:59 pm

We are not San Diego State fans, but what more do they have to do to be in the top 10 in AP and coaches' poll. I was hoping that they would be in the top 10 before playing them in those polls. One of my favorite memories was being in the student section with the Butterfield 3 and going crazy. I am really looking forward to this weekend regardless, but it is maddening that our in-conference foe is getting **** on in the polls.

treesap32

Re: San Diego State

Post by treesap32 » December 30th, 2019, 2:04 pm

SDSU's problem this year was that they started off the season unranked and had to move all the way up the polls. That's difficult to do as a mid-major. Take a look at their trajectory: https://collegepolltracker.com/basketba ... ztecs/2019

To get into the top ten they will need to likely win several more games in a row and hope that the teams above them in the polls lose.

SLB

Post by SLB » December 30th, 2019, 2:08 pm

treesap32 wrote:
December 30th, 2019, 2:04 pm
SDSU's problem this year was that they started off the season unranked and had to move all the way up the polls. That's difficult to do as a mid-major. Take a look at their trajectory: https://collegepolltracker.com/basketba ... ztecs/2019

To get into the top ten they will need to likely win several more games in a row and hope that the teams above them in the polls lose.
I get your point, but many like myself are looking at teams that have lost 2 games ahead of them in both polls and Michigan losing 3 games ahead in AP. It gives the feeling of :wtf:

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » December 30th, 2019, 2:13 pm

It is stupid. They should be higher than they are.

It just adds yet another reason it's so stupid this game is so early. It was pretty clear to that USU & SDSU would be the best two teams in conference. Why didn't the MWC step in and strategically schedule those games? Lack of leadership IMO.

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » December 30th, 2019, 2:13 pm

SDSU got hurt in the voters eyes by having to play 2 lower level MW schools..:)

slcagg

Post by slcagg » December 30th, 2019, 2:16 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
December 30th, 2019, 2:13 pm

It just adds yet another reason it's so stupid this game is so early. It was pretty clear to that USU & SDSU would be the best two teams in conference. Why didn't the MWC step in and strategically schedule those games? Lack of leadership IMO.
I’ve wondered the same thing. Should have had them playing the last weekend Of the season.

SwaggieAggie

Post by SwaggieAggie » December 30th, 2019, 2:41 pm

slcagg wrote:
December 30th, 2019, 2:16 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:

I’ve wondered the same thing. Should have had them playing the last weekend Of the season.
Absolutely! Having Nevada at home at the end of last year's season was huge. Really added to the drama and hype coming in.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » December 30th, 2019, 2:44 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:

Leadership from Craig Thompson? Surely you kid.

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » December 30th, 2019, 2:48 pm

Before last season nobody figured you would win the MW..I believe you were picked 9th..Getting NV late was a happy accident of an unbiased algorithm. I have been chatting with you guys for close to 20 years and you always think people are out to get you and keep you down.

BYU and Utah..sure

Everybody else? NOPE..
These users thanked the author nvspuds for the post (total 9):
Real Life AggieBustaMcNuttutaggiesdonlarson8bigbluevegasaggieAggiefan33newtonianbluecrazywookie

GUS

Post by GUS » December 30th, 2019, 2:51 pm

Coach Smith mentioned that this year's MWC schedule was put together 1.5 years ago. Last season and this season was done at the same time. It makes no sense to do that with an uneven schedule. They should just do it one year at a time and try to make sure the best teams play each other twice.
These users thanked the author GUS for the post:
donlarson8

WannabeAgAlum

Post by WannabeAgAlum » December 30th, 2019, 2:53 pm

SwaggieAggie wrote:
December 30th, 2019, 2:41 pm
slcagg wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

Absolutely! Having Nevada at home at the end of last year's season was huge. Really added to the drama and hype coming in.
USU was picked 9th when that was scheduled? Maybe it was even scheduled before that. Although it would be nice to play SDSU later on, it seems weird to try to schedule based on preseason rankings.

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » December 30th, 2019, 2:54 pm

What the MW could do is implement something of a flex schedule where you don't have to play everybody every year..
These users thanked the author nvspuds for the post (total 2):
cornia27donlarson8

SwaggieAggie

Post by SwaggieAggie » December 30th, 2019, 3:00 pm

WannabeAgAlum wrote:
December 30th, 2019, 2:53 pm
SwaggieAggie wrote:
December 30th, 2019, 2:41 pm
slcagg wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

USU was picked 9th when that was scheduled? Maybe it was even scheduled before that. Although it would be nice to play SDSU later on, it seems weird to try to schedule based on preseason rankings.
Oh I understand it's random and getting that late season game with Nevada was a fluke. Just wish we had it again this year with SDSU. Either way it'll be a fun match up.

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » December 30th, 2019, 3:27 pm

We should just let every team play af and SJSU once, then make af and SJSU play home and away 9 times or something. You could substitute af with wyo I suppose, but that would help the strength of schedule. Not even kidding.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » December 30th, 2019, 4:51 pm

The AP poll still seems to have a lot of pre-season bias in it...even for major conference teams. West Virginia started the year unranked and has moved up to 22 even though they are 9 in NET with a 4-1 record in Q1 games and 1-0 in Q2 games. They just beat an Ohio State team that was #2 in NET and the AP poll.

On the other side you have Michigan State that started the year at #1. They've gone 1-3 in their Q1 wins yet they are still ranked ahead of 2 of the teams they lost to and also above Virginia. The NET has them at 19.

AP voters tend to start with their previous week ballot and only move a team a spot or 2 depending on how they did that week.

tinplater

Post by tinplater » December 30th, 2019, 5:04 pm

Geez...just win the games. That solves everything.

FeartheFro

Post by FeartheFro » December 30th, 2019, 5:39 pm

nvspuds wrote:Before last season nobody figured you would win the MW..I believe you were picked 9th..Getting NV late was a happy accident of an unbiased algorithm. I have been chatting with you guys for close to 20 years and you always think people are out to get you and keep you down.

BYU and Utah..sure

Everybody else? NOPE..
This could not be more true. For some reason we Aggie fans feel the whole world is out to get us. I suspect we are not the only fan base to do this, but just the one I am familiar with. The salt lake media hates and ignores us, the referees hate us and will never give us a call, the National broadcasters hate us and will only talk about the other team. Somehow despite all this hate, we finished last year with our basket b-ball team and football team ranked in the top 25 despite the unfairness being shown by everyone I referenced, and now apparently, I need to add the powers that be in the MWC. My favorite is when we start calling out the Cougars about what terrible, and wishy/washy fans they have. I hate them with everything I’ve got but they are no different than us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cornia27

Post by cornia27 » December 30th, 2019, 5:43 pm

aggies22 wrote:
December 30th, 2019, 2:44 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:

Leadership from Craig Thompson? Surely you kid.
That slick haired snake oil salesman only cares about Boise St football he is in their back pocket.
These users thanked the author cornia27 for the post (total 2):
aggies22USU78

FeartheFro

Post by FeartheFro » December 30th, 2019, 5:55 pm

And we wouldn’t be nearly as attractive of a conference without them, so I hope he is doing everything he can to keep them and also add BYU, which some of you foolishly think would not be a good thing.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » December 30th, 2019, 6:01 pm

FeartheFro wrote:
December 30th, 2019, 5:39 pm
This could not be more true. For some reason we Aggie fans feel the whole world is out to get us. I suspect we are not the only fan base to do this, but just the one I am familiar with. The salt lake media hates and ignores us, the referees hate us and will never give us a call, the National broadcasters hate us and will only talk about the other team. Somehow despite all this hate, we finished last year with our basket b-ball team and football team ranked in the top 25 despite the unfairness being shown by everyone I referenced, and now apparently, I need to add the powers that be in the MWC. My favorite is when we start calling out the Cougars about what terrible, and wishy/washy fans they have. I hate them with everything I’ve got but they are no different than us.
Last time I saw a post like this, it was written by someone who was secretly out to get us!
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post:
Real Life Aggie

FeartheFro

Post by FeartheFro » December 30th, 2019, 6:36 pm

Very good.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » December 30th, 2019, 9:08 pm

nvspuds wrote:Before last season nobody figured you would win the MW..I believe you were picked 9th..Getting NV late was a happy accident of an unbiased algorithm. I have been chatting with you guys for close to 20 years and you always think people are out to get you and keep you down.

BYU and Utah..sure

Everybody else? NOPE..
The refs and announcers are FOR SURE out to get us.

Hail Aggies!

aggiesdidwhat

Post by aggiesdidwhat » December 30th, 2019, 9:17 pm

brownjeans wrote:
December 30th, 2019, 6:01 pm
FeartheFro wrote:
December 30th, 2019, 5:39 pm
Last time I saw a post like this, it was written by someone who was secretly out to get us!
:lol: :lol: :golfclap:

Love it brown jeans!

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » December 31st, 2019, 9:45 am

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
December 30th, 2019, 3:27 pm
We should just let every team play af and SJSU once, then make af and SJSU play home and away 9 times or something.
I personally like having Air Force come here every year. It's always fun to cheer for the big plays against them by putting my hands in my pockets to make fun of the fact that they are not allowed to do that!

Locked Previous topicNext topic