Abel Porter's Consistency

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggie19

Abel Porter's Consistency

Post by Aggie19 » January 12th, 2020, 6:46 pm

I'll give this to the kid, his intensity is consistent the whole game :)

Go Aggies!

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Re: Abel Porter's Consistency

Post by USU78 » January 12th, 2020, 6:52 pm

Foul. Foul. Foul.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Aggie-Man

Post by Aggie-Man » January 12th, 2020, 8:08 pm

I like Abel and I like his game. With Quinn gone he has became the new favorite whipping boy of several of all y’all.

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » January 12th, 2020, 8:16 pm

Aggie-Man wrote:
January 12th, 2020, 8:08 pm
I like Abel and I like his game. With Quinn gone he has became the new favorite whipping boy of several of all y’all.
I'm not trying to make fun of him, I just thought it was funny that the photos were so close in resemblance.

While we're talking about it, I think Porters done great this year in a lot of areas over last year. I think he's growing as a player. Seems more mature as a player.

Go Aggies!

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » January 12th, 2020, 8:36 pm

Aggie-Man wrote:I like Abel and I like his game. With Quinn gone he has became the new favorite whipping boy of several of all y’all.
Merrill needs help scoring from the perimeter. Abel and Miller take a lot of heat because they are the two that need to help him.

But it’s honestly mostly on Smith for not recruiting backcourt help. We could all see it but for some reason, he couldn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
utaggies

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » January 12th, 2020, 8:54 pm

2004AG wrote:
January 12th, 2020, 8:36 pm
Aggie-Man wrote:I like Abel and I like his game. With Quinn gone he has became the new favorite whipping boy of several of all y’all.
Merrill needs help scoring from the perimeter. Abel and Miller take a lot of heat because they are the two that need to help him.

But it’s honestly mostly on Smith for not recruiting backcourt help. We could all see it but for some reason, he couldn’t.

He did. He was proactive and signed an experienced guard for the future by snagging Marco Anthony.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
FloridaAggie13IdaAg93

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » January 12th, 2020, 8:56 pm

2004AG wrote:

That's cuz "WE" all are much smarter and have more BB knowledge, coaching experience and are more invested in the program.
These users thanked the author Bank Shot for the post:
Real Life Aggie

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » January 12th, 2020, 9:37 pm

aggies22 wrote:
January 12th, 2020, 8:54 pm
2004AG wrote:

He did. He was proactive and signed an experienced guard for the future by snagging Marco Anthony.
I was referring to this season. We needed backcourt help for Merrill this season.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » January 12th, 2020, 9:44 pm

Bank Shot wrote:
January 12th, 2020, 8:56 pm
2004AG wrote:

That's cuz "WE" all are much smarter and have more BB knowledge, coaching experience and are more invested in the program.
This gets brought up EVERY single time something even remotely critical of Craig Smith gets brought up and its really stupid. If you don't want to read opinions of the sports programs at Utah State, this might not be the place for you.

I think we need a disclaimer pinned to the top of the board that people can refer back to.

Yes, we all know Craig Smith is great coach. Yes, Craig knows more about basketball than we all do. Craig is great. We all love Craig. We all want Craig to be our coach for a LONG time.

BUT......

Craig in not perfect. Craig make mistakes. Craig should have brought in backcourt help so Merrill had someone else to take the pressure off him. Merrill can't do it all by himself. (I think we REALLY miss a guy like Koby McEwan.)

I don't see how this is controversial in any way.
These users thanked the author 2004AG for the post:
ChicAggie

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » January 12th, 2020, 10:02 pm

Hasn't taken long for Marquette board to disagree. They seem to wish they had a point guard that could shoot, penetrate and dish.

https://247sports.com/college/marquette ... 141809199/
These users thanked the author Bank Shot for the post:
IdaAg93

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » January 12th, 2020, 10:27 pm

These users thanked the author GameFAQSAggie for the post:
Aggie-Man

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » January 12th, 2020, 11:05 pm

Point guards who are quick, can handle ball, penetrate, play D' and shoot...every team wants/needs them. There just aren't that many. Even the blue-blood schools can't always find them.
These users thanked the author FloridaAggie13 for the post:
IdaAg93

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » January 13th, 2020, 6:01 am

Aggie19 wrote:
January 12th, 2020, 8:16 pm
Aggie-Man wrote:
January 12th, 2020, 8:08 pm
I'm not trying to make fun of him, I just thought it was funny that the photos were so close in resemblance.

While we're talking about it, I think Porters done great this year in a lot of areas over last year. I think he's growing as a player. Seems more mature as a player.
I was thinking the same thing. Maybe that's just the way his face is normally...
These users thanked the author flying_scotsman2.0 for the post:
Real Life Aggie

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » January 13th, 2020, 9:58 am

Bank Shot wrote:
January 12th, 2020, 10:02 pm
Hasn't taken long for Marquette board to disagree. They seem to wish they had a point guard that could shoot, penetrate and dish.

Koby has been downright mediocre for Marquette this season. Koby's freshman season at USU showed so much promise, but his game has not improved in any meaningful way, and in fact seems to have declined in most respects.

That said, it would be HUGE to have another threat to score on the perimeter with Merrill to take some of the load, pressure, and attention off of him.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » January 13th, 2020, 11:06 am

2004AG wrote:
January 12th, 2020, 9:44 pm
Bank Shot wrote:
January 12th, 2020, 8:56 pm
2004AG wrote:

This gets brought up EVERY single time something even remotely critical of Craig Smith gets brought up and its really stupid. If you don't want to read opinions of the sports programs at Utah State, this might not be the place for you.

I think we need a disclaimer pinned to the top of the board that people can refer back to.

Yes, we all know Craig Smith is great coach. Yes, Craig knows more about basketball than we all do. Craig is great. We all love Craig. We all want Craig to be our coach for a LONG time.

BUT......

Craig in not perfect. Craig make mistakes. Craig should have brought in backcourt help so Merrill had someone else to take the pressure off him. Merrill can't do it all by himself. (I think we REALLY miss a guy like Koby McEwan.)

I don't see how this is controversial in any way.
Please provide 2004AG with a trigger warning in the future.

And please don't share you opinions about people's opinions of the sports programs at Utah State. This isn't the place for that.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post (total 2):
USU78TheAKAggie

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » January 14th, 2020, 8:45 am

ChicAggie wrote:
January 13th, 2020, 9:58 am
Bank Shot wrote:

Koby has been downright mediocre for Marquette this season. Koby's freshman season at USU showed so much promise, but his game has not improved in any meaningful way, and in fact seems to have declined in most respects.

That said, it would be HUGE to have another threat to score on the perimeter with Merrill to take some of the load, pressure, and attention off of him.
It's funny that everyone was blaming Duryea for Koby not improving, but maybe him not improving at Marquette would show that his lack of improvement wasn't Duryea's fault and instead his own fault for his poor work ethic.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » January 14th, 2020, 9:25 am

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
January 14th, 2020, 8:45 am
ChicAggie wrote:
Bank Shot wrote:

It's funny that everyone was blaming Duryea for Koby not improving, but maybe him not improving at Marquette would show that his lack of improvement wasn't Duryea's fault and instead his own fault for his poor work ethic.
You mean, let me understand this … cuz I … maybe its me, maybe I’m a little f'd up maybe. It’s funny how? I mean funny, like a clown? It amuses you? It makes you laugh? People blaming Duryea are here to f'n amuse you? Whattya you mean funny? Funny how? How is it funny?

Once we get past that, I'm afraid I might have to agree with you. Koby may have no one to blame for his lack of improvement other than himself. Though, in fairness, spending two years under Duryea can't possibly have helped . . . .
These users thanked the author ChicAggie for the post:
FloridaAggie13

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

Aggie-Man

Post by Aggie-Man » January 14th, 2020, 10:49 am

I've said it all along that Koby was not who we needed on our team. I caught a lot of hell for it from several too. Smith said something last night at the coaches show that goes right along with what I had been saying. "You don't need the best guy. You need the right guy." Yes Koby could make some plays but his downside was bigger than his upside. We really are better without him but very few on here can see it.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » January 14th, 2020, 10:56 am

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
ChicAggie wrote:
Bank Shot wrote:

From what I know from the previous coaching staff his work ethic was Image , it’s mental focus/ego getting in his way.

Hail Aggies!

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » January 14th, 2020, 12:26 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
January 14th, 2020, 9:25 am
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
January 14th, 2020, 8:45 am
ChicAggie wrote:
Bank Shot wrote:

You mean, let me understand this … cuz I … maybe its me, maybe I’m a little f'd up maybe. It’s funny how? I mean funny, like a clown? It amuses you? It makes you laugh? People blaming Duryea are here to f'n amuse you? Whattya you mean funny? Funny how? How is it funny?

Once we get past that, I'm afraid I might have to agree with you. Koby may have no one to blame for his lack of improvement other than himself. Though, in fairness, spending two years under Duryea can't possibly have helped . . . .
No, you are funny guy. You tell it in a funny way. You know what I mean.

Locked Previous topicNext topic