Got a Basketball Question

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
NavyBlue

Got a Basketball Question

Post by NavyBlue » December 12th, 2019, 11:54 am

I admit I am not much of a basketball fan, and prefer football. That said I like to follow Aggie basketball as much as I can living in the Midwest. I hear all the time people referring to basketball positions as 1's, 2's, 3's,4's, and 5's. What are 1's, 2's, 3's, etc? I assume somehow it is guards, forwards and centers.

Yossarian

Re: Got a Basketball Question

Post by Yossarian » December 12th, 2019, 11:59 am

They are reference to "traditional" positions in basketball.
1 - point guard position
2 - shooting guard
3 - small forward
4 - power forward
5- center

The game has changed and these position designations have become less-defined. The point guard is not necessarily a small guy that can dribble well whose main job is to pass to the other guys anymore. These designations still stand because the skill sets and relative sizes of the players on the court are still important, but the defined position roles have expanded and don't always apply
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post (total 2):
aggies22NavyBlue

Eutaw St. Aggie

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » December 12th, 2019, 12:01 pm

When I played I would usually play the 3.5 position. Nobody knew how to guard me, but I could never decide if I should take the 3 or the 4 on defense. So I usually ended up just standing at half court yelling outlet waiting to take off for a fast break.
These users thanked the author frankiesaysrelax for the post (total 4):
aggies22ChicAggiesam tingeybluegrouse

gadog98

Post by gadog98 » December 12th, 2019, 2:33 pm

frankiesaysrelax wrote:
December 12th, 2019, 12:01 pm
When I played I would usually play the 3.5 position. Nobody knew how to guard me, but I could never decide if I should take the 3 or the 4 on defense. So I usually ended up just standing at half court yelling outlet waiting to take off for a fast break.
This is what I expect to see when I type "define church ball" into the search engine.
These users thanked the author gadog98 for the post:
aggies22

NavyBlue

Post by NavyBlue » December 12th, 2019, 3:26 pm

Thank you!

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » December 12th, 2019, 3:42 pm

frankiesaysrelax wrote:
I think part of that 3.5 position requires that you be the third referee on the court as well. It is the job of the 3.5 to point out all of the officiating mistakes and vocalize them.

The 5/2 position is reserved for the big guy that never got to shoot three pointers in high school and spends the rest of his adult life making up for it by launching from three every time he gets the ball.
These users thanked the author Yossarian for the post (total 2):
aggies22AggieFBObsession

Eutaw St. Aggie

frankiesaysrelax

Post by frankiesaysrelax » December 12th, 2019, 5:25 pm

Yossarian wrote:
December 12th, 2019, 3:42 pm
frankiesaysrelax wrote:
I think part of that 3.5 position requires that you be the third referee on the court as well. It is the job of the 3.5 to point out all of the officiating mistakes and vocalize them.

The 5/2 position is reserved for the big guy that never got to shoot three pointers in high school and spends the rest of his adult life making up for it by launching from three every time he gets the ball.
As long as I didn’t have to keep track of the score I was could being an extra ref. How many times a game can you lose track of the score in pick up ball. The answer is every possession some days.
These users thanked the author frankiesaysrelax for the post:
aggies22

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » December 12th, 2019, 6:40 pm

Yossarian wrote:
frankiesaysrelax wrote:

people who call it the 5/2 instead of the 2.5 drive me nuts. What is this, the metric system?
These users thanked the author QuackAttackAggie for the post:
Yossarian

Murkymerk

Post by Murkymerk » December 12th, 2019, 11:23 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
December 12th, 2019, 6:40 pm
Yossarian wrote:
frankiesaysrelax wrote:

people who call it the 5/2 instead of the 2.5 drive me nuts. What is this, the metric system?
I think 5/2 is referring to something like a stretch 5 (though with less shooting skills).
2.5 would be a good shooter who is too slow to guard the 2 and too short to guard the 3.

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » December 12th, 2019, 11:30 pm

Murkymerk wrote:
December 12th, 2019, 11:23 pm
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
December 12th, 2019, 6:40 pm
Yossarian wrote:
frankiesaysrelax wrote:

I think 5/2 is referring to something like a stretch 5 (though with less shooting skills).
2.5 would be a good shooter who is too slow to guard the 2 and too short to guard the 3.
didn't realize we had multiple communists on the board.

usubobcat

Post by usubobcat » December 13th, 2019, 8:58 am

frankiesaysrelax wrote:
I think what happened is that 3.5 came out pretty soon after 3 because of all the flaws that were evident.... oh wait, wrong forum. My bad!

Classic Blunders:
1) Getting involved in a land war in Asia
2) Going in against a Sicilian when death is on the line

Locked Previous topicNext topic