Beehive Classic Games

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Full

Beehive Classic Games

Post by Full » December 11th, 2019, 12:03 pm

I just looked at the availability of tickets for the Beehive Classic. The PAC-12 team isn’t a draw. It looks like the BYU vs USU game is a much much hotter ticket, but still disappointing compared to an on campus game. You can get tickets anywhere for Utah vs Weber State including over a third of the court-side tickets. Utah’s struggle to sell tickets to a game four miles from campus against a local team is great karma.

Utah vs Weber St.
USU vs BYU

Aggie84025
Has thanked: 0

Re: Beehive Classic Games

Post by Aggie84025 » December 11th, 2019, 1:16 pm

There are for sure fewer tickets to our game. Be interested to see what the ratio of Aggies to Cougars there are. My guess would be 70% cougars to 30% aggies (hopefully i am wrong). Hopefully we have a good showing to help cheer the aggies to victory.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » December 11th, 2019, 1:19 pm

I'm actually surprised that tickets have sold that well for our game. This may be the best attended Beehive Classic game in 3 years.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 11th, 2019, 1:37 pm

Yeah it is funny this is a Utah creation and they probably care about this the least. I went last year and with Utah vs byu you would think you would get a big crowd, but it was blah. Hope this thing dies. In-state games need to be played in on campus arenas in front of wild passionate crowds. I have never liked us playing byu or any in-state team for that matter on a neutral court.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » December 11th, 2019, 2:01 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
December 11th, 2019, 1:19 pm
I'm actually surprised that tickets have sold that well for our game. This may be the best attended Beehive Classic game in 3 years.
As long as this doesn't give somebody the bright idea to keep this thing going. Let the Beehive not so Classic DIE!!

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » December 11th, 2019, 3:38 pm

In-state games need to be played on campus and while the students can attend.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
aggies22

oleblu111

Post by oleblu111 » December 11th, 2019, 3:53 pm

NVAggie wrote:
December 11th, 2019, 3:38 pm
I have always heard that USU needs to stay as connected to the alums in the Salt Lake area as possible so one reason why USU had some interest was let the aggie's down there have a chance to watch aggie basketball. Evidently those down there do not care all that much to watch aggie basketball with a instate rival.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » December 11th, 2019, 3:58 pm

Personally, I think we need to find out who our big time fans are along the Wasatch Front first. Sign them up to the Alumni Association and have monthly or quarterly activities. Get your big fans networking with other Alums in their areas. People sometimes just need someone to go with. They need that connection that gets them out to events.

Question, are you more likely to go to a game if you can sit by your friend or if you have to sit alone?

BigBlueAggie

Post by BigBlueAggie » December 11th, 2019, 4:22 pm

US SL Aggies do care. I bought 10 tickets. So we will be there! But I go to the games up on Logan too. But I do agree. If there are alumni things happening down here I sure don't hear or see them advertised. And my wife and I both belong to the Alumni Association and Big Blue Club.

I do miss the Coaches Luncheons being down here regularly. Was great to catch up with everyone once in awhile.

holladayag

Post by holladayag » December 11th, 2019, 4:43 pm

I live in Salt Lake and travel to nearly every home football and basketball game. Not having alumni events in the Salt Lake market is a mistake. I get an in-person visit at my office every 1-2 years from an associate AD and really appreciate that. The Beehive Classic needs to be scrapped. I'd rather drive to Logan 10 out of 10 times to watch my team play in our home arena than sit in a half-filled NBA arena during a holiday break. Lame.
These users thanked the author holladayag for the post (total 2):
Roy McAvoyaggies22

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » December 11th, 2019, 4:53 pm

If we are going to play in Salt Lake it should be against a consistent tournament type program from out-of-state. If it is done in conjunction with BYU, great, i.e. USU v. Gonzaga and BYU v. Washington, etc. but watching USU and BYU or Utah at a neutral site is lame.

I have kicked around the idea with madmartigan of hosting at my office during football season a friday afternoon happy hour type tailgate/networking event. My initial idea was USU alums in the downtown area gathering the night before a game to network, mingle, discuss Aggie sports etc. and hopefully have informal support from the athletic department (perhaps even just someone attending that could answer ticketing questions). No reason to limit it to downtown though.

If people are interested in this, please send me a private message but I think it is a big mistake that SLC Aggies do not have regular gatherings of some sort.
These users thanked the author Intermeddler for the post (total 3):
Roy McAvoyoleblu111Turtle

bigwilly087

Post by bigwilly087 » December 11th, 2019, 5:13 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
December 11th, 2019, 3:53 pm
NVAggie wrote:
I have always heard that USU needs to stay as connected to the alums in the Salt Lake area as possible so one reason why USU had some interest was let the aggie's down there have a chance to watch aggie basketball. Evidently those down there do not care all that much to watch aggie basketball with a instate rival.
I'm a "wasatch front aggie", and have been to the beehive classic every year. I would much rather drive to Logan than see the game played in SLC.

GUS

Post by GUS » December 11th, 2019, 5:20 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
NVAggie wrote:
Looks like the Salt Lake Aggies are cheaper ba$tards than the Cache Valley Aggies. Is that what you meant oleblu?

oleblu111

Post by oleblu111 » December 11th, 2019, 5:40 pm

GUS wrote:
December 11th, 2019, 5:20 pm
oleblu111 wrote:
NVAggie wrote:
Looks like the Salt Lake Aggies are cheaper ba$tards than the Cache Valley Aggies. Is that what you meant oleblu?
Not caring about USU does not make someone cheap or a ba$tard

sneed

Post by sneed » December 11th, 2019, 7:20 pm

bigwilly087 wrote:
oleblu111 wrote:
NVAggie wrote:
I'm a "wasatch front aggie", and have been to the beehive classic every year. I would much rather drive to Logan than see the game played in SLC.
Me too.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » December 11th, 2019, 8:33 pm

I absolutely prefer to go to Logan over Salt Lake. The Spectrum is so much fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

aggietime

Post by aggietime » December 12th, 2019, 8:28 am

I'm going to the Beehive Classic this week for the first time, but I've been in Vivint a couple of times for USU/byu games. I work in downtown SLC and am of the firm opinion the instate games should only be played on campus. USU should only use Vivint for games against teams that are a big draw where neutral site games can be alternated. We're obviously not going to get the blue bloods, but neutral games against Big 10/12 or the top AAC teams where we return the favor close to their home is a game I would definitely attend.

NVAggie

Post by NVAggie » December 12th, 2019, 9:06 am

In my dreams I imagine a world where the governing body over college athletics assists all of their members with scheduling. This body provides opportunities for all members to have home games against better competition.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic