Another Monkey We Need To Get Off Our Back

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggie19

Another Monkey We Need To Get Off Our Back

Post by Aggie19 » December 3rd, 2019, 10:46 am

Wondering if our new coach will have any luck in reversing the trend of the last 10 years of losing to byu-provo? In the last 10 years we're 2-8. I know they're not in our conference, so perhaps the losses don't matter as much for some, but consistently losing to those tools is an issue for me. Just like losing to Utah, Weber, UVU or SUU consistently would be.

As bronco mendenhall said after UVAs victory over VT last week, creating a successful program starts with winning the state. I don't think basketball is any different.
These users thanked the author Aggie19 for the post (total 5):
aggies22Roy McAvoyReal Life Aggieflying_scotsman2.0thegreendalegelf

Go Aggies!

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Re: Another Monkey We Need To Get Off Our Back

Post by aggies22 » December 3rd, 2019, 11:02 am

Aggie19 wrote:
December 3rd, 2019, 10:46 am
Wondering if our new coach will have any luck in reversing the trend of the last 10 years of losing to byu-provo? In the last 10 years we're 2-8. I know they're not in our conference, so perhaps the losses don't matter as much for some, but consistently losing to those tools is an issue for me. Just like losing to Utah, Weber, UVU or SUU consistently would be.

As bronco mendenhall said after UVAs victory over VT last week, creating a successful program starts with winning the state. I don't think basketball is any different.
It does start with the coach BUT the players themselves HAVE to believe they can beat those tools.

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » December 3rd, 2019, 11:16 am

aggies22 wrote:
December 3rd, 2019, 11:02 am
Aggie19 wrote:

It does start with the coach BUT the players themselves HAVE to believe they can beat those tools.
100% agree.

Go Aggies!

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » December 3rd, 2019, 11:32 am

And I must admit, I don't think we're going to do it this year either. They're a pretty solid team once with Childs back at Center.

Their transfer from Arizona, Barcello, has been really good for them. They weren't sure he'd get a waiver to play immediately but tried anyways and it ended up being granted.

It sure would've been nice to have tried to get (a receive) a waiver for Marco Anthony this season.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » December 3rd, 2019, 11:33 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
December 3rd, 2019, 11:32 am
And I must admit, I don't think we're going to do it this year either. They're a pretty solid team once with Childs back at Center.

Their transfer from Arizona, Barcello, has been really good for them. They weren't sure he'd get a waiver to play immediately but tried anyways and it ended up being granted.

It sure would've been nice to have tried to get (a receive) a waiver for Marco Anthony this season.
With Queta we win, without Queta it's a long shot.

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » December 3rd, 2019, 11:35 am

I think Toolson has been a good edition as well. You take Toolson, Childs, Barcello, and if Hawes gets hot shooting, they're a really tough game.

Go Aggies!

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » December 3rd, 2019, 11:45 am

Banish the petite bete noire!

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » December 3rd, 2019, 1:31 pm

Punch haws in the head, and guard the three, just enough to keep them shooting them, but missing. They shoot over 50% from three, they are hard to beat, but they are huckers from 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 3rd, 2019, 2:05 pm

Aggie19 wrote:

Of course it matters that we beat byu. We haven't beat them since. . . the apology game. That has to end.

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue » December 3rd, 2019, 6:08 pm

Sam is going to want to beat them at least once, I think the team will be fired up for it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » December 3rd, 2019, 6:11 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:

The coaching staff didn't want Marco for this season. They want him for the next two seasons.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
IdaAg93

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » December 3rd, 2019, 6:31 pm

aggies22 wrote:
December 3rd, 2019, 6:11 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:

The coaching staff didn't want Marco for this season. They want him for the next two seasons.
Does this mean they're planning on sticking around for a while?

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » December 3rd, 2019, 9:30 pm

WAAggie wrote:
December 3rd, 2019, 1:31 pm
Punch haws in the head, and guard the three, just enough to keep them shooting them, but missing. They shoot over 50% from three, they are hard to beat, but they are huckers from 3.

If you shine a light at him will he scurry back to his rat hole or burst in flames?

I'm going with flames.

I'm not saying Haws is a vampire. I'm just saying I've never personally seen him out in daylight.
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post:
USU78

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » December 3rd, 2019, 11:08 pm

Aggie in Boise wrote:
December 3rd, 2019, 6:31 pm
aggies22 wrote:
December 3rd, 2019, 6:11 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:

Does this mean they're planning on sticking around for a while?
Quality coaches plan for the future. Whether it's an idea of "just in case I'm still here" or just doing what's best for the school doesn't matter. I'm not reading into it at all. They're just setting USU up for the most success possible.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » December 4th, 2019, 7:45 am

WAAggie wrote:

What does this mean?

Aggie19

Post by Aggie19 » December 4th, 2019, 7:49 am

Madmartigan wrote:
December 4th, 2019, 7:45 am
WAAggie wrote:

What does this mean?
I think he's saying that they're living right, on and off, the court and magic happens and they make a lot of threes by throwing up trash shots and having then go in because of the aforementioned "magic".

Go Aggies!

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » December 4th, 2019, 9:10 am

Aggie19 wrote:
December 4th, 2019, 7:49 am
Madmartigan wrote:
December 4th, 2019, 7:45 am
WAAggie wrote:

What does this mean?
I think he's saying that they're living right, on and off, the court and magic happens and they make a lot of threes by throwing up trash shots and having then go in because of the aforementioned "magic".
Unfortunately when we play BYU I often ask myself "How the huck did they make that"
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post:
Aggie19

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » December 4th, 2019, 3:47 pm

Utah Farm boy version of throwing. “Get runnin, cause I’m hucking this rock at you at the count of 3”

Locked Previous topicNext topic