Confirmed: Aircraft Carrier Commits to USU

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Re: Confirmed: Aircraft Carrier Commits to USU

Post by aggies22 » November 26th, 2019, 4:23 pm

:notworthy:
Real Life Aggie wrote:
November 26th, 2019, 3:06 pm
aggies22 wrote:
November 26th, 2019, 2:37 pm
Real Life Aggie wrote:
November 26th, 2019, 2:33 pm
brownjeans wrote:
November 26th, 2019, 1:08 pm
If Marco Anthony is an elite perimeter defender, I'm excited to have him.
Pooh Williams' 1-on-1 defense was a great luxury (e.g. Jimmer - shot 36% in the two games Pooh guarded him).
Pooh Williams was a very earnest player. It seemed like I explained to someone new at each game that we weren't booing him, we were saying his name.
Now tell me. Did you use the word "earnest" because that is Pooh's given name?
I sure did.
:notworthy: Well done my Aggie brother. :golfclap:
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
Real Life Aggie

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » November 26th, 2019, 4:25 pm

Yossarian wrote:
November 26th, 2019, 4:22 pm
treesap32 wrote:
November 26th, 2019, 3:28 pm
OK fine I won't say PG anymore. Do I need to remove it from all the rosters on USUStats.com too?

Sorry if I offended anyone. Apparently I've been living in the past.

It's a strong point of personal preference. Don't use traditional, binary, gender specific pronouns, and don't use traditional skill set-specific position descriptions when speaking or writing. It's just common sense, man.

In the words of Richard Vernon, "I expected more from a varsity letterman!"
It's "letter-person".

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » November 26th, 2019, 4:27 pm

BigBlueDart wrote:
November 26th, 2019, 4:25 pm
Yossarian wrote:
treesap32 wrote:
OK fine I won't say PG anymore. Do I need to remove it from all the rosters on USUStats.com too?

It's a strong point of personal preference. Don't use traditional, binary, gender specific pronouns, and don't use traditional skill set-specific position descriptions when speaking or writing. It's just common sense, man.

It's "letter-person".
It wasn't when Dick Vernon said it.

Eutaw St. Aggie

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » November 26th, 2019, 4:29 pm

Yossarian wrote:
treesap32 wrote:

"Show Dick some respect." - John Bender
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
ChicAggie

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » November 26th, 2019, 5:22 pm

aggies22 wrote:
November 26th, 2019, 10:24 am
I think everyone needs to come to the realization that position-specific traditional basketball that many of us grew up playing no longer exists.
I agree that the game has changed. It wasn't that long ago that the NBA would indicate a player's position with PG, SG, SF, PF, C. If you look at NBA rosters on NBA.com, they are currently using the terms Guard, Guard-Forward, Forward-Guard, Forward, Forward-Center, Center-Forward and Center. Although they may exist, I'm not aware of any current basketball leagues/rosters that don't associate a primary "position" for each player, but perhaps we're on our way to discontinuing positional references in basketball.
These users thanked the author Pacobag for the post:
aggies22

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » November 26th, 2019, 5:29 pm

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
November 26th, 2019, 11:37 am
I remember beating UNM in the tournament. I also remember Matisse Thybulle, arguably the best defender in the country last year, destroying us. If we switched Porter for John Stockton in his prime we still wouldn't have won that game.
Blasphemy!!!
These users thanked the author Pacobag for the post:
aggies22

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » November 26th, 2019, 6:03 pm

:joking:
Last edited by Pacobag on November 27th, 2019, 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » November 26th, 2019, 6:05 pm

Funny thing spot your PG less team.

Porter
Merrill
Miller
Bean
Kuba

Hmmmm.... that sure looks a lot like
PG
SG
SF
PF
C

The fact of the matter is Smith is a heckuva coach, but if there is one weakness that was exposed last year and is being exposed again this year it is the lack of a primary ball handler that has the following as attributes:

Shorter, quick, great ball handler, excellent leader, court vision, decent shooter. If we had one Rock, Huber, Quayle, Pak, Clark, Ross, etc I would be much more comfortable come March. It was a hosting weakness.

We would have beaten Washington with John Stockton last year because he would have kicked Thybill’s (I can't express myself without swearing) because that’s what an ultimate competitor like Stockton does. Do you think John was more gifted athletically than the best PGs (I mean shorter guys that dribble and facilitate for others)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author dyedblue for the post (total 2):
aggies22Roy McAvoy

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » November 26th, 2019, 6:08 pm

dyedblue wrote:
November 26th, 2019, 6:05 pm
Funny thing spot your PG less team.

Porter
Merrill
Miller
Bean
Kuba

Hmmmm.... that sure looks a lot like
PG
SG
SF
PF
C

The fact of the matter is Smith is a heckuva coach, but if there is one weakness that was exposed last year and is being exposed again this year it is the lack of a primary ball handler that has the following as attributes:

Shorter, quick, great ball handler, excellent leader, court vision, decent shooter. If we had one Rock, Huber, Quayle, Pak, Clark, Ross, etc I would be much more comfortable come March. It was a hosting weakness.

We would have beaten Washington with John Stockton last year because he would have kicked Thybill’s a** because that’s what an ultimate competitor like Stockton does. Do you think John was more gifted athletically than the best PGs (I mean shorter guys that dribble and facilitate for others)?

Hey! You left off Mark Brown and Kevin Nixon.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » November 26th, 2019, 6:08 pm

Mark Brown would kill it in this team.

These users thanked the author dyedblue for the post:
aggies22

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » November 26th, 2019, 7:13 pm

I really thought last year at the end of the year, we moved the ball smoothly leading to many open looks.

I'd rather be where Coach Smith has us now, than where Duryea or Stew had us with traditional PGs. Maybe if a Kris Clark type were on this team we'd be in a better spot. Or maybe Brockeith Pane would have been a good fit. Or maybe, Brockeith Pane would commit bad charging fouls at inopportune times.

The bottom line is we are winning games. I am much more concerned about how we use who we have to beat SMC than I am about a hypothetical PG that we do not have.
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post:
brownjeans

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » November 26th, 2019, 7:20 pm

I'm only observing that Smith doesn't seem to make recruiting a PG a priority. And after two years, maybe we ought to decide if it's a disagreement we can live with or if it's one that will fester.

I can live with it.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post (total 2):
PacobagZaggie07

HomeTown

Post by HomeTown » November 27th, 2019, 10:19 am

Sorry for the ignorant question. What is an aircraft carrier player?

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » November 27th, 2019, 10:21 am

HomeTown wrote:
November 27th, 2019, 10:19 am
Sorry for the ignorant question. What is an aircraft carrier player?
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=51462&start=35#p608662

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » November 27th, 2019, 10:33 am

I am fine with Smith's decision as long as we don't have people coming on here after a loss due to poor press breaker or turnovers due to pressure defense.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » November 27th, 2019, 11:18 am

NVAggie wrote:
November 27th, 2019, 10:33 am
I am fine with Smith's decision as long as we don't have people coming on here after a loss due to poor press breaker or turnovers due to pressure defense.
Oh, that will happen.
Every loss will bring out the I-told-you-sos. And no matter how good we are we could always have been better if we had just done X.

lcrasmus

Post by lcrasmus » November 27th, 2019, 11:49 am

brownjeans wrote:
NVAggie wrote:
November 27th, 2019, 10:33 am
Oh, that will happen.
Every loss will bring out the I-told-you-sos. And no matter how good we are we could always have been better if we had just done X.
7 losses with Porter starting. But if we had someone ELSE it would have been at most....6? Yes? That's the logic? And THEN I would be happy?

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » November 27th, 2019, 11:51 am

Imakeitrain wrote:
November 26th, 2019, 7:13 pm
I really thought last year at the end of the year, we moved the ball smoothly leading to many open looks.

I'd rather be where Coach Smith has us now, than where Duryea or Stew had us with traditional PGs. Maybe if a Kris Clark type were on this team we'd be in a better spot. Or maybe Brockeith Pane would have been a good fit. Or maybe, Brockeith Pane would commit bad charging fouls at inopportune times.

The bottom line is we are winning games. I am much more concerned about how we use who we have to beat SMC than I am about a hypothetical PG that we do not have.
Abel Porter is a traditional PG in every sense of the word. He's just below average at dribbling and speed compared to most PG's. He's a little above average at passing is probably an average shooter.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » November 27th, 2019, 12:17 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
November 27th, 2019, 11:51 am
He's a little above average at passing
His mediocre A/TO ratio suggests otherwise. While he may occasionally get his pocket picked and pick up a few charges here and there to account for some of those TOs, the bulk of them come in the passing game.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » November 27th, 2019, 2:57 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:

Abel Porter is a traditional PG in every sense of the word. He's just below average at dribbling and speed compared to most PG's. He's a little above average at passing is probably an average shooter.
Is there a traditional PG on our team that Smith has recruited? Considering Smith's recruiting, do you think he ascribes to traditional basketball roles? Are you okay with the way Smith is recruiting/coaching?

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » November 27th, 2019, 3:00 pm

brownjeans wrote:
November 27th, 2019, 2:57 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:

Is there a traditional PG on our team that Smith has recruited? Considering Smith's recruiting, do you think he ascribes to traditional basketball roles? Are you okay with the way Smith is recruiting/coaching?
I'm not okay with his recruiting... We need less height said no one ever.

Coloraggie

Post by Coloraggie » November 27th, 2019, 4:26 pm

I thought last year Smith recruited the Knights who were supposed to be point guards? I think he isn't afraid of recruiting a point guard and wouldn't like one but I think he wants a certain type and is having a hard time finding that type to come to USU.

Locked Previous topicNext topic