Now why isn't Fonzo starting again???

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » November 25th, 2019, 1:31 pm

:headscratch: :headscratch: :headscratch: :headscratch:

Don't you want to start your best five players, which includes him? I'm very confused about this.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » November 25th, 2019, 1:42 pm

Nope. Your best 5 finish the game

Porter, Merrill, Brito, Fonzo, and Queta

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by dyedblue on November 25th, 2019, 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author dyedblue for the post (total 2):
aggies22MetsJetsAggies

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

TrueAG

Re: Now why isn't Fonzo starting again???

Post by TrueAG » November 25th, 2019, 1:48 pm

We like to start slow, so we are forced to GATA
These users thanked the author TrueAG for the post:
BLUERUFiO

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » November 25th, 2019, 1:50 pm

Once you start slow isn't it harder to win coming from behind?

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » November 25th, 2019, 2:03 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
November 25th, 2019, 1:50 pm
Once you start slow isn't it harder to win coming from behind?
I absolutely agree with that statement but I think the energy off the bench that Fonzo and Diogo bring off the bench is invaluable. It allows the coaching staff to stagger their substitution pattern and sit Sam for a bit while Fonzo and Diogo pick up the scoring. Like the poster above said, the best 5 finish the game!
Last edited by aggies22 on November 25th, 2019, 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
TheAKAggie

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » November 25th, 2019, 2:22 pm

Sometimes the best TEAM isn't the five best players (I'm looking at you '03-'04 Lakers). Make combinations that compliment each other (one guys strength covers another guy's weakness).

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » November 25th, 2019, 2:29 pm

My initial reaction was to suggest that it is strange to question the decisions of a coaching staff that has been amazingly successful walking into a difficult situation, but then I remembered they did bizarrely start Ainge for 18 games and initially gave Bean less PT than he seemed to have earned . . . .

But I agree that the important decisions about playing time (i) who is closing the games; (ii) how well do the component pieces play together; and (iii) can you stagger your significant contributors enough so you have enough fire power on the court to compete while key players are resting. Not so concerned about who actually starts.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

UStateTim

Post by UStateTim » November 25th, 2019, 2:32 pm

Anderson is getting 30 minutes a game, plus it's good to have a balance of people that can score at all times in the game. Anderson being that guy off the bench is valuable to that method.
These users thanked the author UStateTim for the post:
MetsJetsAggies

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » November 25th, 2019, 2:37 pm

I think Kuba is starting to help that group be used to playing with a big Center in the middle because that's what it will be like once Queta is back. It keeps the lineups and style similar.
These users thanked the author Roy McAvoy for the post:
BLUERUFiO

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » November 25th, 2019, 2:54 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
November 25th, 2019, 2:37 pm
I think Kuba is starting to help that group be used to playing with a big Center in the middle because that's what it will be like once Queta is back. It keeps the lineups and style similar.
Also to develop Kuba who will sub for Queta this year, and get some big minutes next year, too.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » November 25th, 2019, 2:56 pm

dyedblue wrote:
November 25th, 2019, 1:42 pm

Help me understand why no Bean in crunch time? Bean > Brito; Bean > Porter.

I'm thinking Queta at the 5; Bean at the 4; Fonz at the stretch 4/3; Brito at the 2; and Merrill at the 1. We saw Brito bring the ball down in crunch time a few times yesterday, too, and we know about Sam bringing it down. Porter seems superfluous, especially given Bean's ability to play D, pull down boards, and make the big play (like his interruption of the lob yesterday).
These users thanked the author USU78 for the post (total 3):
AggieFBObsessionZaggie07Pacobag

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » November 25th, 2019, 3:11 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
I tend to agree with this as well. Also, having a 7'2" guy jumping the ball to start the game gives you the chance at an extra possession. Kuba seems to be one of the first guys subbed out. I also think Coach Smith is making in game adjustments when he sees how opponents respond to Kuba.

Starting Kuba at Center also makes it easy for Coach Smith to swap Kuba for Queta as a starter without having to "demote" Anderson once Queta is healthy enough. Center for Center.

I have had this same thought (Why not Start Fonzo?), but if it's working, we're winning, and Anderson is contributing 25-30+ minutes per game and closing for us, I have no problem with Kuba starting.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » November 25th, 2019, 3:17 pm

USU78 wrote:
dyedblue wrote:

Help me understand why no Bean in crunch time? Bean > Brito; Bean > Porter.

I'm thinking Queta at the 5; Bean at the 4; Fonz at the stretch 4/3; Brito at the 2; and Merrill at the 1. We saw Brito bring the ball down in crunch time a few times yesterday, too, and we know about Sam bringing it down. Porter seems superfluous, especially given Bean's ability to play D, pull down boards, and make the big play (like his interruption of the lob yesterday).
I was going for ball handling, but I like your closing lineup way better.

These users thanked the author dyedblue for the post (total 2):
AggieFBObsessionUSU78

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » November 25th, 2019, 3:24 pm

dyedblue wrote:
November 25th, 2019, 3:17 pm

I was going for ball handling, but I like your closing lineup way better.

Why would anyone believe that the two seniors in the backcourt aren't a better ball handling combo than replacing one of them with Porter?

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » November 25th, 2019, 3:25 pm

dyedblue wrote:

I agree that your best 5 finish, but Porter is certainly not playing like one of the best 5 right now. That certainly could change, but he's been more of a liability than an asset thus far this season. He did start slow last season and came on strong during conference play, so I'm cautiously optimistic that his post-wedding blues will shortly evaporate.
These users thanked the author ChicAggie for the post:
AggieFBObsession

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

aggietime

Post by aggietime » November 25th, 2019, 4:03 pm

treesap32 wrote:
November 25th, 2019, 3:11 pm
Roy McAvoy wrote:
I tend to agree with this as well. Also, having a 7'2" guy jumping the ball to start the game gives you the chance at an extra possession. Kuba seems to be one of the first guys subbed out. I also think Coach Smith is making in game adjustments when he sees how opponents respond to Kuba.

Starting Kuba at Center also makes it easy for Coach Smith to swap Kuba for Queta as a starter without having to "demote" Anderson once Queta is healthy enough. Center for Center.

I have had this same thought (Why not Start Fonzo?), but if it's working, we're winning, and Anderson is contributing 25-30+ minutes per game and closing for us, I have no problem with Kuba starting.
If I've been keeping track right, Kuba has only won 1 or 2 tips this year...not sure if the refs are throwing it low or what, but he isn't winning a lot of tips like I thought he would.

Your point on swapping Kuba for Queta so as not to "demote" Anderson is an interesting one. Regardless, Anderson seems to be thriving in his "bench" role - I can't think of many USU bench players who have played 30 minutes a night.

I'm with several other posters - it doesn't matter who starts, it matters who finishes tight games. Right now that group should be Porter/Merrill/Brito/Bean/Anderson. When Queta comes back it depends on the matchup, but I think you put him into Porter's place most games and Bean's in the others.

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » November 25th, 2019, 4:07 pm

I get the point about finishing games, but I really think we should start all of our best players to build momentum and establish offense and defense. We struggled in the North Texas game and the LSU game to start out. We played our best basketball in the 2nd half towards the middle to end when we had lineups with Anderson and Brito in them. I think we need to start Anderson and Brito because if not, when we play better teams, they will be able to build a lead. We were lucky we were able to come back against LSU and even North Texas. Alphonso is averaging nearly 15 points and Brito is averaging nearly 12. These guys should start IMO if we want to get leads early on and remain undefeated.
These users thanked the author ThunderAggie for the post (total 2):
AggieFBObsessioncodingaggie

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » November 25th, 2019, 4:44 pm

Who are our starters? I've missed the beginnings of most games recently.

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » November 25th, 2019, 4:44 pm

It ain't broke, don't fix it. Ask Lou Williams

Anderson is playing phenomenal and is getting 30 mins anyway, I wouldn't change a damn thing

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » November 25th, 2019, 4:45 pm

BigBlueDart wrote:
November 25th, 2019, 4:44 pm
Who are our starters? I've missed the beginnings of most games recently.
Porter, Merrill, Miller, Bean, Kuba

Aggiewest

Post by Aggiewest » November 25th, 2019, 4:55 pm

treesap32 wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

Has Kuba even won a tip this year? I pretty sure he didn't win one in Jamaica.
These users thanked the author Aggiewest for the post:
Aggie-Man

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » November 25th, 2019, 4:56 pm

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
November 25th, 2019, 4:44 pm
It ain't broke, don't fix it. Ask Lou Williams

Anderson is playing phenomenal and is getting 30 mins anyway, I wouldn't change a damn thing
While I get that, we have not tried starting Brito and Anderson. I think we should keep things the way they are this week vs St Mary's, but possibly start Brito and Anderson in place of Kuba and Miller vs San Jose and see how things go. (Assuming Queta is not back). If things go good, we could start that lineup vs Fresno and St Katherine to evaluate even more. If it goes good, then keep that starting lineup.

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » November 25th, 2019, 4:57 pm

I always get a little uneasy when my team starts out on a 12-2 run to start, unless it's against inferior competition (which I don't think No. Texas was). Invariably the other team makes a run, and that's when guys like Brito and Anderson coming in fresh really helps to stem the tide. DI basketball is a chess match with lots of moving pieces. And when the opposition makes that run, do you really want to be at that point of having to insert lesser players, with lesser scoring and defensive skills?

If you feel you must start your best 5, why not go all the way and just say put them in and play for 40 minutes? 6th men or in this case the 7th, have been invaluable to coaches since the beginning of time. Some guys, (perhaps Brito and Fonz are in this catagory), thrive on that role.

Bottom line for me is that after a year plus and seeing what has been accomplished, that last thing I'm going to do is 2nd guess Smith and staff as to who they play and when. They see day in and day out at practices and games what rotations work in certain situations and when they want to move their pieces.
These users thanked the author Bank Shot for the post:
stewusu98

Aggie-Man

Post by Aggie-Man » November 25th, 2019, 5:43 pm

Aggiewest wrote:
November 25th, 2019, 4:55 pm
treesap32 wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:

Has Kuba even won a tip this year? I pretty sure he didn't win one in Jamaica.
I have seen him win just once.

Locked Previous topicNext topic