Jamaica tournament

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
OKAggie

Jamaica tournament

Post by OKAggie » November 20th, 2019, 8:32 am

A couple of items of note:

Eastern Michigan is one of the four "lower tier" teams in the tournament, along with NCA&T, UMBC and NIcholls State. Each of the lower tier teams was supposed to play two games on the road against the upper tier teams (USU, LSU, Rhode Island, North Texas), then play in a four team bracket in Jamaica this weekend. NCA&T and Nicholls, played their two road games, but Eastern Michigan only played North Texas, and obviously should have also played at USU. (Also, it looks like UMBC only played one upper tier team losing to LSU, and URI only got one lower tier game, beating Nicholls.) I've heard that's one reason why our OOC schedule took so long -- the organizers of the Jamaica Classic tried but failed to get EMU (or maybe UMBC?) to live up to its obligation to play at USU, and by the time that effort concluded most other teams had already filled their OOC dance cards. Thus St. Katherines. (I don't know anything, so please correct me if you do )

EMU also won at North Texas, the only lower tier team to steal a win at the upper tier opponent.

Nobody here knows anything.

ChicAggie

Re: Jamaica tournament

Post by ChicAggie » November 20th, 2019, 8:56 am

OKAggie wrote:
November 20th, 2019, 8:32 am
EMU also won at North Texas, the only lower tier team to steal a win at the upper tier opponent.
First time in history North Texas has been referred to as "upper tier."
These users thanked the author ChicAggie for the post:
aggies22

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

rAggie

Post by rAggie » November 20th, 2019, 9:01 am

This is correct, per Coach Smith, the tournament told schools to hold a couple dates for the games and so USU and others did, and then by the time they announced the games wouldn't be scheduled, literally the only thing USU could do was schedule the sisters of the poor.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » November 20th, 2019, 9:11 am

I'm sure the committee will be sympathetic to our plight.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
AggieFBObsession

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » November 20th, 2019, 9:44 am

It was definitely a major failure on the part of the tournament organizers. The contracts that are signed with these lower division teams should have a clause that they are required to play at 2 upper division teams without the option of opting out. If they refuse to do so then it should result in a fine and being removed from the tournament. The fact that they could just say no and still be included in the tournament is crazy.
These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post (total 4):
MrBiggleaggies22AggiesForeverAggieFBObsession

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » November 20th, 2019, 10:42 am

Agree, Provo. Easy enough to address in a contract -- and completely unacceptable that it wasn't. There have to be contractual ramifications sufficiently punitive to make it impracticable for a lower-tier team to back out of its obligations.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » November 20th, 2019, 10:57 am

... like, for instance, paying the freight for the screwee upper tier team to fly in an acceptable replacement for the recalcitrant lower tier breacher.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » November 21st, 2019, 6:41 am

NVAggie wrote:I'm sure the committee will be sympathetic to LSU’s plight while leaving us out of the tournament because we wouldn’t play anyone.
FIFY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Locked Previous topicNext topic