Bovee on attendance

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
FormerlyVegasAggie71

Re: Bovee on attendance

Post by FormerlyVegasAggie71 » November 19th, 2019, 10:44 am

Even when Spectrum magic was at its peak, were we regularly selling out non-conf games in November and getting large student crowds? IIRC, even during the peak years the students showed for instate rivals and in Jan/Feb/March for the conference games. If we don't get large turnouts to the conference games, then it will be cause for concern.
Last edited by FormerlyVegasAggie71 on November 19th, 2019, 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blueandthrough
Has thanked: 0

Post by blueandthrough » November 19th, 2019, 10:48 am

The locals have been conditioned for so long on a vanilla home schedule. They’ll support the Aggies by buying their season tickets but it won’t take much for them to miss the game, or they won’t buy season tickets and will make cherry-pick purchases on the ones they have interest in seeing. Craig Smith said he tried to get anybody and everybody to fill the last two slots this year but no one wanted to come. It speaks to the disease in college sports that starts with the P5 that it’s less about the spirit of sport but more about handling your resume with kid-gloves. It’s comical how Utah no longer drives 90 miles to Logan. It’s sad that BYU only comes here every 3rd year. The annual four games with The U and the Y have been replaced by one every three years. The Ohio States, Georgias, Kansas States, etc do not come. The Houstons won’t agree to a return game. I applaud Craig for putting together a great schedule, unfortunately most of what he could do was away from the best arena on the planet. Maybe we need to do more creative scheduling involving football, a la USC and Mississippi St a few years back. Go Aggies!

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » November 19th, 2019, 10:50 am

I remember when we had a less than stellar Aggie team but we played a highly ranked SDSU team. In that game the Spectrum was packed. In that game Butterfield made one of, if not the most memorable shot I've seen in person at an Aggie game.

Our fans showed up to watch a ranked SDSU team play a mediocre USU team because SDSU had real talent. I just wish that carried over to our own guys. They'd rather see a ranked SDSU team but are blasé about their own team.

There are well over 100,000 in cache valley. No one is saying that any one person is "bad" for not going to a game. Or that, someone needs to go to every game. Living in DC- it's hard for me to go to 1 or 2 in a year. But as a collective fan base we need to do better at filling up the Spectrum.

But, as a fanbase we need to do better. Especially if we are to be considered "a great home court advantage".

Step One: Show Up.
Step Two: Wear Blue
Step Three: Cheer

BigBlueAggie

Post by BigBlueAggie » November 19th, 2019, 10:54 am

Agree with what was said earlier. Doesn't seem to be a problem with ticket sales, just attendance. And the Weber State game was one of the lowest "butts in the seats" games I've seen us have against them as well, so it isn't just about playing teams no one cares about. All that said, we won't be talking about this in January. The Spectrum will be packed. And Bovee isn't the only one to have noticed or commented on it. Coach Smith, while praising our fans that are coming, has mentioned several times he would sure like to see more of them there. It is a fair point. Right now (who knows after this weekend), we have one of the top 15 or 16 programs in the country, we should have less empty seats.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » November 19th, 2019, 10:54 am

Imakeitrain wrote:
November 19th, 2019, 10:50 am
No one is saying that any one person is "bad" for not going to a game. Or that, someone needs to go to every game.
Oh, I'm saying both things.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » November 19th, 2019, 10:58 am

Imakeitrain wrote:
I remember when we had a less than stellar Aggie team but we played a highly ranked SDSU team. In that game the Spectrum was packed. In that game Butterfield made one of, if not the most memorable shot I've seen in person at an Aggie game.

Our fans showed up to watch a ranked SDSU team play a mediocre USU team because SDSU had real talent. I just wish that carried over to our own guys. They'd rather see a ranked SDSU team but are blasé about their own team.
One big difference is that we only had a couple of chances to see a highly ranked team those years so fans that only attend a game or 2 each year choose those ones. Now we have the chance to see a top ranked team each year and you still have a large group of fans that are only going to attend 1 or 2 games a year and those fans will still choose the better opponents.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » November 19th, 2019, 11:05 am

Does the Athletic Department do any marketing of the team through promotional videos/ads? Do they have television spots showcasing the team? Do they have videos on social media? How do they get the word out to the masses that they have an exciting product? It's disingenuous to bemoan people for not coming out to watch the team when the only marketing you rely on is word of mouth from people that are already attending. What effort is the AD putting in to getting people to the games?

Eutaw St. Aggie

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » November 19th, 2019, 11:08 am

ChicAggie wrote:
November 19th, 2019, 10:54 am
Imakeitrain wrote:
No one is saying that any one person is "bad" for not going to a game. Or that, someone needs to go to every game.
Oh, I'm saying both things.
Correction: ChicAggie is saying this.
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post (total 2):
ChicAggieReal Life Aggie

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » November 19th, 2019, 11:09 am

ProvoAggie wrote:
November 19th, 2019, 10:58 am
Imakeitrain wrote:

One big difference is that we only had a couple of chances to see a highly ranked team those years so fans that only attend a game or 2 each year choose those ones. Now we have the chance to see a top ranked team each year and you still have a large group of fans that are only going to attend 1 or 2 games a year and those fans will still choose the better opponents.
And if we don't win vs LSU it may be years before anyone sees such a well ranked team in the Spectrum.
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post:
Aggiesbleedblue

BigBlueBlood

Post by BigBlueBlood » November 19th, 2019, 1:47 pm

Last year, according to the NCAA, BYU averaged 14k, Utah 12k, USU 7k and Weber State 6.7k. Actual attendance? Who knows, but it's the same issue for all four schools. Cache Valley has about 130k people, not including the students. The Logan student population is about 17k, as I understand it. The Spectrum seats about 10k. I believe Students are allocated up to about 2-3k depending upon the opponent, which represents about 18% of the student body. Leaving about 7k to come from Cache Valley and beyond, which is about 5% of the entire valley population. Is it too much to expect that 5% of the entire population shows up for every home game? I don't know. It doesn't seem like a lot, but when factoring in the age, both young and old, of the population, health, mobility, time and scheduling constraints, money, etc., 5% of the population may be a lot. I don't know. Anecdotally, when I was a student, we loved going to the games and its seemed attendance was better. We did not miss a game. Predictably, they were every Thursday and Saturday night when the Aggies were in town. We seemed to pack that place, but my memory could be a bit self serving. I do believe that attendance at all live sporting events generally is taking a hit lately. There is too much to do and to see which competes for butts in the seats.

For those of you who live in Cache Valley, does the University do much marketing for the Basketball team? Does the team get out and make appearances? Any PR keeping the team on the local front burner? I think it's great to see the University doing some limited advertising in Ogden, SLC and Provo (billboards), but my feeling is that the bread and butter is in Cache Valley, and maybe in Weber/Box Elder Counties. In reality, the vast bulk of more remote fans is going to come to a game or two, or they'll come to every game regardless of the level marketing, but the "locals" can make a bigger bang for the marketing dollar difference. I'm not a marketing expert, but that's my view.

IdAggie
Has thanked: 0

Post by IdAggie » November 19th, 2019, 3:17 pm

Yes things are building/trending in a positive direction and yes we should be doing much better.

In response to the last post "Cache Valley is the Base". I have seen data that show that the majority of attendance, season ticket, walk ups, etc. come from Cache Valley and it is not even close. To answer your question...USU athletics is doing next to nothing to bring more local people in and add to this base of attending fans. I see far more advertising and promotion outside of the valley. In fact, it is close to nothing here. The social media post the day of the game is all I am seeing and I really do not know if it is hitting the intended audience.

Even more local is the campus community. Working on campus I see next to nothing informing the campus community about the games and putting out promotions to get people there. This includes both students and faculty/staff. I have had both students and faculty tell me today that they did not even know there was a game last night. All said they would have gone had they known.

I have been really pleased with Jerry Bovee to this point. However, this post of calling out and blaming the fans was poor. Take a look in the mirror and bust your a** to promote, market, and get butts in seats...then you can start to question. That is the job of you and the department. I saw more Weber St. advertising in Cache Valley from when you were their AD than I am seeing Aggie advertising now. People who show up will return and buy additional tickets with a good product. Repeat buying rate is high. You also gain concession and other revenue by getting them there.

Even more, if you want to retain a coach give seats away if you have to to pack the place and bring the energy. The coach thrives off of energy and support. It could very well be a retention factor in either a good or bad way.

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 19th, 2019, 8:14 pm

This is the first year I have bought and season tickets I usually just go to the weekend games but I thought yesterday's attendance while it was not the greatest and it was a slow arriving crowd I thought was solid for a Monday night. We have increased our season ticket sales by around 1,000 this year it's just a matter of getting them into the seats where people run into other issues. We still get a very solid attendance to our conference games will be well-attended for the most part.

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos » November 19th, 2019, 9:38 pm

I wonder if Bovees family was in attendance or if it was just him...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aggie84025

Post by Aggie84025 » November 20th, 2019, 6:54 am

If you go look at the seats available for the Fresno State game I did not count them but I would say there's less than maybe 800. Now whether or not people actually use their tickets or the student show up I can't know that. I think attendance during conference we're going to probably average around 9000 I would guess obviously I'm not an expert.

aggie4L

Post by aggie4L » November 20th, 2019, 7:52 am

I've been reading How To Win Friends and Influence People. There is a part in the book where they go to a prison and interview a mass murderer. When they ask why he did it, the murderer says that he has a good heart and would never hurt anyone. The point being that people don't want to blame themselves when negative criticism is brought. I think this shows in all of the replies, anyone can come up with reasons not to go. Anyways, I think the tweet calling out fans was definitely not the right way to approach attendance issues and has only brought out reasons that people "can't" make it.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » November 20th, 2019, 7:55 am

I live 5 hours away. I have a job that requires I be in by 7 am. I like sleep. I have a family. Otherwise, I would be at that game.

aggie4L

Post by aggie4L » November 20th, 2019, 8:15 am

NVAggie wrote:
November 20th, 2019, 7:55 am
I live 5 hours away. I have a job that requires I be in by 7 am. I like sleep. I have a family. Otherwise, I would be at that game.
Excuses, excuses ;)

All I'm saying is maybe a more positive spin that makes fans want to show up, instead of pointing at fans would have been a more appropriate tweet. I mean we only have 11 more home games to support a historically great team. If we can make it and choose not to go we are missing out on the 15th best team in the nation (maybe better). At a minimum Sam, Porter, and probably Queta are gone at the end of the year. Smith may be gone at the end of the year. Not to mention Smith is a high energy, that loves loud and full crowds. We can do our part in trying to convince him in staying by showing up. There is nothing better than friend and family time in the Spectrum.

Food for thought.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » November 20th, 2019, 9:14 am

I would always look for a more positive approach. How about, "Hey everyone, we want to invite you to enjoy this exciting team with us. We have another special year ahead of us under the roof of the Spectrum. Look at the schedule, make plans to be here. We need your passion here with us."

Dkdavis

Post by Dkdavis » November 20th, 2019, 9:57 am

To all those predicting that the spectrum will be packed come January. I agree. I counted up the number of seats open for the Nevada game and there are only about 700 left. The San Diego game has a few more. I think by the time these games role around they could potentially be sold out. These two games are gonna be good and I think the students will show up.

kofdog

Post by kofdog » November 20th, 2019, 10:47 am

Mr. Sneelock wrote:
November 19th, 2019, 9:25 am
"I had no good answer"?!?!?

Then figure it out.

Stop blaming the customer. Fans are customers. They aren't morally or ethically obligated to buy your product. If they see value in the product, they will buy. And the product isn't just a good team. There is a lot more to it than that. You need to sell it to them. That is your job.

We don't have a huge fan base. Our campus is far away from metro areas. That is the reality of things. So, figure out how to overcome those obstacles. But don't guilt me into attending. That's what my mom does for the family Christmas party.
THIS! Does the marketing guy at a car dealership just get to say "I had no answer" to his boss when cars aren't selling?

303aggie

Post by 303aggie » November 20th, 2019, 10:58 am

918AGG wrote:
November 19th, 2019, 9:24 am
303aggie wrote:USU's market just can't keep up. 2 hours away from the closest main city, 1 hour away from the closest densely populated community(ogden). It is not the fans, rather the market. CV can't supply sellouts like a Salt lake city, Denver, California, etc could.
Who's selling out what in Denver? CSU, CU, AF, DU, the Nuggets - none of these ever sell out.

We will see better attendance when we play better opponents. Truth be told, our attendance was pretty damn solid on a Monday night given the circumstances.

I would have liked to have seen a $40/4 tix/4 hot dogs/4 sodas Family Night Deal offered, but I'm not sure that it would have moved the needle.
CU averages 95% capacity, CSU is not in Denvers market(similar to USU, 90 minutes north), AF isn't in Denvers market either, DU is a hockey school, Nuggets average 91%, Broncos games sell out, and rockies are top 5 in major league baseball for attendance(and also one of the worst teams).

I do agree that attendance this year has been a big improvement from my freshman year in 2015. But expecting a sell out every night is a little ambitious for our market. When it counts, there won't be an empty seat.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » November 20th, 2019, 11:11 am

Cache Valley can not supply sellouts, well in the 2013-14 season USU averaged 9,829 for a 18 home games with a 13-5 home record. so it has happened, and I doubt our team or home schedule was much better than this season

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » November 20th, 2019, 12:06 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
November 20th, 2019, 11:11 am
Cache Valley can not supply sellouts, well in the 2013-14 season USU averaged 9,829 for a 18 home games with a 13-5 home record. so it has happened, and I doubt our team or home schedule was much better than this season
I'm guessing that we've changed the way that we count attendance since then. This is what 9,447 fans looked like back then:

How about 9,571 fans:

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » November 20th, 2019, 1:05 pm

I'am sorry but I went to games back then and attendance as a whole was better. You could not buy a season ticket in section A, unless you had it for last season and made the contribution before the season began.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » November 20th, 2019, 1:15 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
November 20th, 2019, 1:05 pm
I'am sorry but I went to games back then and attendance as a whole was better. You could not buy a season ticket in section A, unless you had it for last season and made the contribution before the season began.
Attendance was better for rivalry games and once conference play started. The official USU website has photo galleries for every game back then and videobot even has some video. You can go back and see for yourself.
These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post:
Real Life Aggie

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » November 20th, 2019, 1:25 pm

Well I was in the building. Are you saying that attendance was better for rivalry games and conference back then ? Is that not most of the season ?

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » November 20th, 2019, 1:33 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
November 20th, 2019, 1:25 pm
Well I was in the building. Are you saying that attendance was better for rivalry games and conference back then ? Is that not most of the season ?
Attendance was better for rivalry and conference games that year than it was for other games. We had over 8800 for the Weber game this year...we haven't played any other rivals or conference games yet this season. We don't have enough data yet to compare to that year. I simply provided photo evidence that the average attendance during that season probably wasn't as good as USU advertised it to be.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » November 20th, 2019, 2:16 pm

OK perhaps we will do better when conference start's, and improve from last season with more than one sellout there is always hope.
These users thanked the author oleblu111 for the post:
AggiesForever

AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff

Post by AggiesForever » November 20th, 2019, 2:32 pm

bluegrouse wrote:
November 18th, 2019, 9:37 pm
Hard for folks outside of CV to attend b-ball Friday night, f-ball Saturday afternoon and b-ball again on Monday night. That’s a lot of driving. Not trying to make excuses. Just reality. Having said that, I would have driven back to Logan again tonight if I was feeling well. I did find someone to use my ticket tho.
I did it. But I come from Ogden. I'm sure driving from the SLC area would be tougher.

I have had season tickets every year but one (2007) since 1999. This might be the best Aggie team since the 1999-2000 or 2010-2011 teams. They run up and down the floor, shoot the 3, rebound and defend, throw the lob and slam it down, they're unselfish-- in short they do everything you want a great team to do. AND NEEMIAS QUETA HASN'T EVEN TAKEN THE FLOOR YET!

Frankly, I don't know why Cache Valley people, in particular, who live close and don't have a lot of great wintertime entertainment WOULDN'T WANT TO COME TO THESE GAMES!

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » November 20th, 2019, 2:57 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
Don't confuse the man with pictures, videos, and your "facts". He was there, damnit, and there were more people than now.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post:
ususports

UtahStizzle

Post by UtahStizzle » November 21st, 2019, 8:24 am

Chatman wrote:One thing I’ve learned about attendance is you can’t guilt people into attending.
Yep.

Complaining about the customer is a sales/marketing no no. No one's gives a (I can't express myself without swearing) if someone on twitter or a message board is mad about you going to a sporting event or not

Twitter: UtahStizzle

ususports

Post by ususports » November 21st, 2019, 9:06 pm

Real Life Aggie wrote:
November 20th, 2019, 2:57 pm
oleblu111 wrote:
Don't confuse the man with pictures, videos, and your "facts". He was there, damnit, and there were more people than now.
Classic. I was going to post something similar as I was thinking to myself in complete disbelief (before I got to your post), “Is someone really arguing that their memory is better than actual pictures from the games?” It doesn’t get any better than that!
These users thanked the author ususports for the post (total 2):
Real Life Aggie2004AG

NVAggie

Post by NVAggie » November 22nd, 2019, 7:57 am

Don't let facts get in the way of my own reality.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » November 22nd, 2019, 9:33 am

NVAggie wrote:
November 22nd, 2019, 7:57 am
Don't let facts get in the way of my own reality.
His mind is made up. Don't confuse him with the truth.

blueaggie

Post by blueaggie » November 22nd, 2019, 11:18 am

Yossarian wrote:
November 19th, 2019, 11:05 am
Does the Athletic Department do any marketing of the team through promotional videos/ads? Do they have television spots showcasing the team? Do they have videos on social media? How do they get the word out to the masses that they have an exciting product? It's disingenuous to bemoan people for not coming out to watch the team when the only marketing you rely on is word of mouth from people that are already attending. What effort is the AD putting in to getting people to the games?
That would be too much work for the athletic department. I have seen quite a few television commercials about the University of Utah's basketball team. The department needs to be a lot more creative and do all they can to promote this great product.. Go Aggies!

Locked Previous topicNext topic