No. 15 in new AP Poll!

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
ChicAggie

Re: No. 15 in new AP Poll!

Post by ChicAggie » November 19th, 2019, 10:25 am

scotlandog wrote:
November 18th, 2019, 1:43 pm
Speculate: form a theory or conjecture about a subject without firm evidence.

We are speculating for the precise reason we don’t know what’s happening. That’s kind of the point. If you read my post, it is littered with words like “if” and “could” which are not definitive type words. That’s the point.

What we do know for sure is:
-Queta is an NBA talent and has aspirations
-Queta was injured July 21st, 2019
-injury is reported as sprain and dislocated knee cap
-standard recovery for non-surgery required sprains is 2-4 weeks (knee sprain) and 6 weeks for dislocated knee cap. Putting recovery time sometime in September.
-It currently is November
-Some say he is favoring his one leg(I haven’t seen this. I have seen him warm up and he looks fine.)
-The toughest games of this preseason are starting this week
-You are entitled to your opinion
-Jeffrey Epstein didn’t kill himself

What I read into that is listed above. What you read into that is who knows. What is wrong with looking at known information and giving ones best guess as to what might happen and maybe what to expect on a fan message board. Nothing.
Two things: As I noted, I think it is completely bizarre to jump to the worst conclusion possible based on limited information. Second, your conclusions and speculation are unwarranted based on the facts.

Here are your points of speculation:

* If he doesn’t play tonight, I have my doubts that he plays at all this season.

Response: Why? Recovery times vary from person to person and injury to injury. He may not be ready today, but he may be ready tomorrow. Suggesting he may be out for the season because he didn't play in a meaningless game against an 0-4 team last night is completely unwarranted and seems calculated simply to spread negativism.

* If the injury is minor like as has been reported, then he should be fully recover and just conditioning and playing it safe.

Response: Very little has been reported about the injury other than it involved a disclocated kneecap and could have been addressed by either surgery or rehab. As with any traumatic sports injury, a disclocated kneecap may involve collateral injuries such as minor tears in ligaments or damage to blood vessels and nerves. Depending on the severity of the injury, complete rehab and recovery can take up to a year. Based on the information we know and can glean from "insider" posts on this board, it seems that Queta's injury was on the slightly severe side, meaning that his recovery could be on the slightly longer side -- i.e., longer than six weeks.

* If the injury isn’t minor and he’s still injured, then I don’t think we see his at all this year.

Response: Again, injuries vary in severity and recovery times also vary. It could be that he is 99% recovered and just about ready to go, but why push it against an 0-4 team? I may be wrong, but honestly believe that if Queta is out for the year, the staff would have disclosed that. I also honestly believe they may not know exactly how long he'll be out. But either way, jumping to a the conclusion that you don't think we'll see him at all this year is both bizarre and unwarranted.

* If he is not injured anymore and he’s not playing, then you would have to think that he is playing it safe with sights set on the NBA and doesn’t want to get hurt again.

Response: Again, weird speculation to ascribe potential motivation to a player sitting out. No basis in fact and simply unnecessary on a fan board to attribute potential ulterior motives to an Aggie player.

* Again though, his stock hasn’t risen and teams would be cautious and would want to see him play again. If his sights are set on the NBA and he’s ok to play, he would want to play against the best competition to increase his draft stock. If that’s the case then he would be getting his tune up tonight.

Response: Says you, and you seem to know little about either sports injuries, recovery times, how sports teams work, and coaching and player motivations and decision-making.

* So if he plays this year, he plays tonight. If not tonight, then maybe not ever again.

Response: See above. Bizarre and unnecessary conclusion. Yes, this is a fan board that doesn't need to be all Pollyanna, but how in the he!! does unwarranted worst-case-scenario speculation help anyone? If you can't say anything nice, say it about Berger -- not a current player.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

MrBiggle

Post by MrBiggle » November 19th, 2019, 11:02 am

scotlandog wrote:
ChicAggie wrote:OMG. So bizarre that we've had at least 10-15 posts today from people who have no idea what the he!! they're talking about suggesting that Queta may play tonight, if he doesn't play tonight it means something big, if he doesn't play against LSU, Florida, and St. Mary's we're going to lose all those games, etc. How about this: If Queta doesn't play tonight, it may mean simply that he's just not quite ready to go this game, but he may be ready by the next game. Or the next game after that. Or the one after that. Who the he!! knows? With the possible exception of one or two posters on this board, I don't think any of you have any idea WTF you're talking about.

As frustrating as it is not to have a specific target return date, reading anything into that is pure speculation. Why do so many feel the need to speculate about things they know nothing about?

We are speculating for the precise reason we don’t know what’s happening. That’s kind of the point. If you read my post, it is littered with words like “if” and “could” which are not definitive type words. That’s the point.

-standard recovery for non-surgery required sprains is 2-4 weeks (knee sprain) and 6 weeks for dislocated knee cap. Putting recovery time sometime in September.
-Some say he is favoring his one leg(I haven’t seen this. I have seen him warm up and he looks fine.)

What I read into that is listed above. What you read into that is who knows. What is wrong with looking at known information and giving ones best guess as to what might happen and maybe what to expect on a fan message board. Nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I feel like a broken record on this... a dislocated Patella (knee cap), does not take 4-6 weeks to recover from. There are some protocols that state that, and there are some that state recovery takes 6-24 weeks. From my personal experience, rehabbing this very injury, I am inclined to agree with the later estimate. Yes, his gait appears to be normal, yes he is participating in warm ups (and limited practice?) but that does not mean he is now cleared to play. Cleared to warm up, and practice is a precursor to play, obviously.

It is likely he has attempted a full practice and still feels pain or unsteadiness. If that is the case i would rather him wait until January. If be continues to dislocate his knee cap, it does not look good for a career in the NBA.

Where only sage brush grows

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » November 19th, 2019, 11:21 am

ChicAggie wrote:
scotlandog wrote:

Two things: As I noted, I think it is completely bizarre to jump to the worst conclusion possible based on limited information. Second, your conclusions and speculation are unwarranted based on the facts.

Here are your points of speculation:

* If he doesn’t play tonight, I have my doubts that he plays at all this season.

Response: Why? Recovery times vary from person to person and injury to injury. He may not be ready today, but he may be ready tomorrow. Suggesting he may be out for the season because he didn't play in a meaningless game against an 0-4 team last night is completely unwarranted and seems calculated simply to spread negativism.

* If the injury is minor like as has been reported, then he should be fully recover and just conditioning and playing it safe.

Response: Very little has been reported about the injury other than it involved a disclocated kneecap and could have been addressed by either surgery or rehab. As with any traumatic sports injury, a disclocated kneecap may involve collateral injuries such as minor tears in ligaments or damage to blood vessels and nerves. Depending on the severity of the injury, complete rehab and recovery can take up to a year. Based on the information we know and can glean from "insider" posts on this board, it seems that Queta's injury was on the slightly severe side, meaning that his recovery could be on the slightly longer side -- i.e., longer than six weeks.

* If the injury isn’t minor and he’s still injured, then I don’t think we see his at all this year.

Response: Again, injuries vary in severity and recovery times also vary. It could be that he is 99% recovered and just about ready to go, but why push it against an 0-4 team? I may be wrong, but honestly believe that if Queta is out for the year, the staff would have disclosed that. I also honestly believe they may not know exactly how long he'll be out. But either way, jumping to a the conclusion that you don't think we'll see him at all this year is both bizarre and unwarranted.

* If he is not injured anymore and he’s not playing, then you would have to think that he is playing it safe with sights set on the NBA and doesn’t want to get hurt again.

Response: Again, weird speculation to ascribe potential motivation to a player sitting out. No basis in fact and simply unnecessary on a fan board to attribute potential ulterior motives to an Aggie player.

* Again though, his stock hasn’t risen and teams would be cautious and would want to see him play again. If his sights are set on the NBA and he’s ok to play, he would want to play against the best competition to increase his draft stock. If that’s the case then he would be getting his tune up tonight.

Response: Says you, and you seem to know little about either sports injuries, recovery times, how sports teams work, and coaching and player motivations and decision-making.

* So if he plays this year, he plays tonight. If not tonight, then maybe not ever again.

Response: See above. Bizarre and unnecessary conclusion. Yes, this is a fan board that doesn't need to be all Pollyanna, but how in the he!! does unwarranted worst-case-scenario speculation help anyone? If you can't say anything nice, say it about Berger -- not a current player.
I don’t think saying he might not play this year is mean. You seem to think my post is negative towards Queta, it’s not. I think trying to understand our current situation and what to maybe expect moving forward for the season is helpful in how we as fans look at a season and how to change expectations as fans. Some say, “enjoy the ride.” I definitely am. It’s a great time to be an Aggie in basketball. But at the same time, I’m going to always try to evaluate what’s happening analytically with what information we may have. It’s all we can do. I’m not saying anything definitive because like you said, we don’t have all the facts. I think my thought process is well laid out on how I come to possible conclusions. It’s not wild speculation. You disagree. That’s fine.

I’m not ignorant about “sports injuries, recovery times, how sports teams work, and coaching and player motivations and decision-making.” I’ve spoken to 3 different people who are doctors about what the possible recovery times are for this type of injury. As you say there are various ranges and changes on person. But there are standard recovery times and given what information is available, they made their best guesses. That’s why I believe the injury to be more serious than what was previously stated when the first reports came out. Like you said, if the injury is more serious it could very easily take a year to recover. I have personally spoken to Coach Smith and Queta and have talked about Queta injuries. Everyone is pretty closed mouth about the injury and avoids saying anything definitive.

It is quite common to look at a player who is projected to go to the NBA and wonder if they want to risk another injury by continuing to play at the collegiate level. Is that negative about the player. Absolutely not. I would support Queta in any decision he makes that he thinks is best for himself and his family. There is a lot at stake for him. There is nothing wrong in considering that for himself. Queta is a great person.

All I was saying was that last nights game in my opinion was kind of a pivotal point to really see where Queta was with his injury. It seems like if he wasn’t really injured last night was the time he would come back. Could he still come back? Sure. But it does give us some insight. Sure. If he doesn’t play against LSU, that gives us a little more insight. Him not playing in the first 3 games didn’t really tell us much.

As I thought through the situation, I saw a few potential outcomes and wanted to discuss it with fellow fans. Feel free to discuss or not. There’s nothing negative here.

These users thanked the author scotlandog for the post:
ChicAggie

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » November 19th, 2019, 11:28 am

You want to see negative, there’s a full meltdown on the other thread. I just want to talk through possible scenarios, best, worst and things in between.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » November 19th, 2019, 11:31 am

My post wasn't pointed at you. It was pointed at all the meltdown, worst-case-scenario speculation all across this board. You made the assumption it was directed at you. Though, in fairness, I do believe it was your post that pushed me to respond given the seeming hyperbolic conclusions you were reaching. You and I have different approaches. Not a big deal. We're all Aggies.
These users thanked the author ChicAggie for the post:
scotlandog

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

Locked Previous topicNext topic