NC A&T

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
SectionBAggie

NC A&T

Post by SectionBAggie » November 15th, 2019, 1:42 pm

Although this is the first time that USU and NC A&T have met on the court, it is not the first time an NC A&T team has played in the Spectrum.

That opportunity took place in the first round of the 1982 NCAA tournament games hosted by USU. After the worst season in school history, USU hosted 2 Round 1 and 2 Round 2 games. (The tournament was only 48 teams in those days.)

The Aggies (their mascot) got blown out by West Virginia by 30 points. I suspect that same kind of result is likely tonight.

This completes the cycle of USU playing DI Aggies. NMSU, TA&MU, UC-Davis and NC A&T.
These users thanked the author SectionBAggie for the post (total 10):
treesap32BigVBAgReal Life AggieChicAggieaggies1aggies22donlarson8AGinNEIowaNVAggieAggieFBObsession

treesap32

Re: NC A&T

Post by treesap32 » November 15th, 2019, 3:26 pm

I loved this post.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » November 15th, 2019, 3:35 pm

For those of you tired of the blowouts the hockey team faces off at 7 at the eccles versus Weber, always a high energy and competitive game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hail Aggies!

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » November 15th, 2019, 3:38 pm

Guaranteed fights when they play Weber.
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post:
Real Life Aggie

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » November 15th, 2019, 3:44 pm

treesap32 wrote:
November 15th, 2019, 3:38 pm
Guaranteed fights when they play Weber.
That's the most convincing thing that you could say.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » November 15th, 2019, 4:07 pm

SectionBAggie wrote:
November 15th, 2019, 1:42 pm
Although this is the first time that USU and NC A&T have met on the court, it is not the first time an NC A&T team has played in the Spectrum.

That opportunity took place in the first round of the 1982 NCAA tournament games hosted by USU. After the worst season in school history, USU hosted 2 Round 1 and 2 Round 2 games. (The tournament was only 48 teams in those days.)

The Aggies (their mascot) got blown out by West Virginia by 30 points. I suspect that same kind of result is likely tonight.

This completes the cycle of USU playing DI Aggies. NMSU, TA&MU, UC-Davis and NC A&T.
I attended the first and second round games at the Spectrum that year with my buddy Thad Jones (God rest his soul). I had forgotten that NC A&T was even in the first round. The teams I remember being there were Wyoming (with star Bill Garnett), Fresno State (Rod Higgins), Georgetown (Patrick Ewing, Eric "Sleepy" Floyd, "Downtown" Freddy Brown), and West Virginia (USC was the other team -- which I had forgotten was beaten by Wyoming in the first round). Georgetown and Fresno State had first round byes so they played only in the second round, but Fresno State (coached by the legend Boyd Grant) had fans there in droves. I believe their fans were called the "Red Wave," maybe?

Back in the pre-9/11 days, fans could basically sit where they wanted without interference from the ushers. Thad and I sat down in the players' seats behind the basket on the west end of the Spectrum. Between their games, the players would come down in sit in those seats as well. At one point during the second round, Patrick Ewing came and sat right next to me. I was 15 at the time and thought that was really cool, but I didn't talk to him. Not sure why not.

A few years later when St. John's was playing in SLC in the first and second rounds, one of my buddies and I sat down in the players' seats again. Chris Mullin and Ron Rowan came and sat next to us. Chris couldn't have been nicer. Very talkative and friendly. I've said it before, but Sam Merrill's game reminds me quite a bit of Chris Mullins's. Bringing it all back to the Aggies.
These users thanked the author ChicAggie for the post (total 3):
aggies1aggies22AggieFBObsession

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » November 15th, 2019, 4:13 pm

treesap32 wrote:Guaranteed fights when they play Weber.
Just you mentioning Weber hockey makes my blood boil. Stems way back to the genesis of USU hockey when we played in their same rink (Ice Sheet). Some great games with standing room only. Not only did we have fights on the ice, but I remember fights breaking out in the stands between fan bases back when I used to play. Play had to be stopped once when the police were breaking up a fight in the stands. I remember one game some Aggie fans made a giant poster that called Weber State the “Purple Pansies!” I still refer to Weber by that title to this day. Lots of great stories about the Pansies!
These users thanked the author AGGIEinIOWA for the post:
AGinNEIowa

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » November 15th, 2019, 6:25 pm

treesap32 wrote:Guaranteed fights when they play Weber.
The guy doing the PA announced roughing penalties as “fighting” so the crowd gets fired up and the coaches go nuts because fighting is an automatic DQ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hail Aggies!

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » November 15th, 2019, 11:04 pm

"Little purple pansies, touched with yellow gold, growing in one corner of the garden old, we are very tiny but must try, try, try . . . ."

You can take the boy out of Mormonism, but . . . .
These users thanked the author ChicAggie for the post:
AGinNEIowa

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff

Post by AggiesForever » November 18th, 2019, 10:32 am

SectionBAggie wrote:

I covered this NCAA subregional for the Associated Press and Mutual Broadcasting Networks. Sat with future Sportswriters Hall of Famer George Ferguson of the Deseret News on my left, and some schmuck named John Mooney of the Salt Lake Tribune on my right. An interesting weekend. The other teams who played in Logan that year were Georgetown with some freshman named Patrick Ewing; Wyoming, led by Bill Garnett; Fresno State, led by Rod Higgins; West Virginia and the famous coach Gene Catlett; the aforementioned North Carolina A & T; and USC, which was popular at the time because a guy had won a game with a shot from behind the baseline that went over the top of the backboard and into the net.

It was very interesting, and I learned a lot sitting with Ferguson and Mooney.

freakboy

Post by freakboy » November 18th, 2019, 11:28 am

SectionBAggie wrote:
Back in 1925, we went 3-0 against Colorado State College who were known as the Aggies back then.

Michigan State, UMass at Amherst, UConn, and Mississippi State were also known as Aggies until the 20s or 30s. We've played against all of them more recently, except for UMass. I propose we get them on the schedule next year.
Last edited by freakboy on November 18th, 2019, 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author freakboy for the post:
AggieFBObsession

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » November 18th, 2019, 11:33 am

freakboy wrote:
November 18th, 2019, 11:28 am
SectionBAggie wrote:
Back in 1925, we went 3-0 against Colorado State College who were known as the Aggies back then.

Michigan State, UMass at Amherst, UConn, and Mississippi State were also known as Aggies until the 20s or 30s. We've played against all of them more recently, except for UConn. I propose we get them on the schedule next year.
We played UConn in the 2000 NCAA Tournament but we lost.

freakboy

Post by freakboy » November 18th, 2019, 11:37 am

ProvoAggie wrote:
November 18th, 2019, 11:33 am
freakboy wrote:
November 18th, 2019, 11:28 am
SectionBAggie wrote:

Michigan State, UMass at Amherst, UConn, and Mississippi State were also known as Aggies until the 20s or 30s. We've played against all of them more recently, except for UConn. I propose we get them on the schedule next year.
We played UConn in the 2000 NCAA Tournament but we lost.
Sorry, I meant to type UMass. I'll change the original

Locked Previous topicNext topic