College of Business...

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Dkdavis

College of Business...

Post by Dkdavis » November 14th, 2019, 3:20 pm

They scheduled the Huntsman Gala for the same time as the game tomorrow... You'd think that if the person planning the event wanted a great turn out that they wouldn't plan it during an Aggie basketball game. Aren't business people suppose to be smarter than that... :headscratch:
These users thanked the author Dkdavis for the post:
aggies22

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Re: College of Business...

Post by aggies22 » November 14th, 2019, 3:34 pm

Dkdavis wrote:
November 14th, 2019, 3:20 pm
They scheduled the Huntsman Gala for the same time as the game tomorrow... You'd think that if the person planning the event wanted a great turn out that they wouldn't plan it during an Aggie basketball game. Aren't business people suppose to be smarter than that... :headscratch:
You would sure think so.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
Real Life Aggie

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » November 14th, 2019, 3:37 pm

aggies22 wrote:
November 14th, 2019, 3:34 pm
Dkdavis wrote:
You would sure think so.
Not that business degrees are bad, but my college would always make fun of them. "If the coursework is too hard, you can always go get a business degree. Anyone can get one of those." That sort of stuff. It was only marginally funny, but mostly let me laugh through the tears of my cubic crap-ton of homework.

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » November 14th, 2019, 4:26 pm

Real Life Aggie wrote:
November 14th, 2019, 3:37 pm
aggies22 wrote:
Dkdavis wrote:
You would sure think so.
Not that business degrees are bad, but my college would always make fun of them. "If the coursework is too hard, you can always go get a business degree. Anyone can get one of those." That sort of stuff. It was only marginally funny, but mostly let me laugh through the tears of my cubic crap-ton of homework.
I currently teach business classes at Washington State and I make this joke all the time. If you can get C's in engineering you can get A's in business. Its mostly funny because it is very true.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » November 14th, 2019, 4:47 pm

LarryTheAggie wrote:
November 14th, 2019, 4:26 pm
Real Life Aggie wrote:
November 14th, 2019, 3:37 pm
aggies22 wrote:
Dkdavis wrote:
You would sure think so.
I currently teach business classes at Washington State and I make this joke all the time. If you can get C's in engineering you can get A's in business. Its mostly funny because it is very true.
Bahaha....I was told something similar in the one and only meeting I ever had with a counselor while at USU. I was contemplating a change from engineering to something else but wanted it to be in a semi-related field. The counselor told me that if I couldn't decide on a new major quickly then I could always get a quick business department degree as a backup plan and that through that experience maybe I would better equipped and motivated to make a decision about what real life skill I would then like to learn.

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » November 14th, 2019, 5:33 pm

Good thing some business people are out there to keep all the hotty totty brainiacs in jobs. Lots of “professionals” have no ability to manage the ideas and business they dream up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author WAAggie for the post (total 2):
AgliciousAggieSox

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue » November 14th, 2019, 7:05 pm

This high school C average guy graduated with a business admin degree at a B average. Really it would have been higher if I didn't try doing pre-med first to be a pharmacist. So there's that.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

72AgGrad
RIP

Post by 72AgGrad » November 14th, 2019, 7:44 pm

The discussion has (as often happens) gone well beyond the topic of the OP, but since it has, I'll chime in that now, in retrospect, I think the biggest mistake of my education was not pursuing, along with the law degree, an MBA. Some lawyers got very rich, others, like myself, sometimes struggled from year to year. My son graduated from USU with a degree in Landscape Architecture, got a real job in his major field, and his employer paid his tuition to Westminster College (SLC) to get that MBA. He his now wildly successful, and I am very proud of him.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » November 14th, 2019, 8:03 pm

I work with people with all kinds of degrees and certifications. I've learned the letters by someone's name are far too frequently a poor indicator of how smart someone is it how good someone is at their job.
These users thanked the author brownjeans for the post (total 2):
BearLakeMonstercrazywookie

CanofShiz

Post by CanofShiz » November 14th, 2019, 8:04 pm

Dkdavis wrote:
Sucks to suck.

AggieSox

Post by AggieSox » November 14th, 2019, 10:28 pm

I got a business degree from Usu and had a great experience. I didn’t know it was that easy of a degree till I just read this thread, now I feel like a loser.

Should I go back and get a degree in psychology? :)
These users thanked the author AggieSox for the post:
BustaMcNutt

Turtle

Post by Turtle » November 14th, 2019, 10:38 pm

AggieSox wrote:
November 14th, 2019, 10:28 pm
I got a business degree from Usu and had a great experience. I didn’t know it was that easy of a degree till I just read this thread, now I feel like a loser.

Yessssss.

Working on a Masters in Management Information Systems right now, which is part of the business school, and I can assure you guys.. It will wreck your faces. It is a really great program though!
These users thanked the author Turtle for the post:
AggieSox

Dkdavis

Post by Dkdavis » November 15th, 2019, 6:02 am

I’m mechanical engineering and I got nothing against business majors. Just when they go and schedule things like a gala the same night as basketball game.

Turtle

Post by Turtle » November 15th, 2019, 7:12 am

I will concede that the scheduling of the gala is pretty dumb.

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » November 15th, 2019, 7:44 am

Yeah, engineers used to joke that the College of Business was populated by engineering dropouts. Seems like there was some truth to that, but the conclusion I've come to now that I'm all mature, and stuff, is that it's just a different path more stored for some people. I absolutely believe anyone who tells me that there are programs in business with a high level of rigor and challenge.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » November 15th, 2019, 9:27 am

AggieSox wrote:

Yeah business degrees are useless. You should've gotten a degree in history. That's where all the real jobs are.
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post (total 2):
LarryTheAggieReal Life Aggie

SweepDance

Post by SweepDance » November 15th, 2019, 11:06 am

AggieSox wrote:

Same here. My conclusion is that a degree is easy but an education can be hard work. Depends whether you're only after the diploma, or if you actually want to learn something useful.

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » November 15th, 2019, 1:44 pm

Joking aside, I’m glad there was business school. I’m the first BS in my family and I admit, no way I could have done engineering. Actually wish dad had not practically prohibited me from welding. His welding career was pipelining in the old days and his kid was “going to have a better career”. Welding is an awesome skill and if I had that, along with business, I’d be in a different place now for sure.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » November 15th, 2019, 3:40 pm

WAAggie wrote:
November 15th, 2019, 1:44 pm
Joking aside, I’m glad there was business school. I’m the first BS in my family and I admit, no way I could have done engineering. Actually wish dad had not practically prohibited me from welding. His welding career was pipelining in the old days and his kid was “going to have a better career”. Welding is an awesome skill and if I had that, along with business, I’d be in a different place now for sure.

Welding is an awesome skill. Props to anyone who can do it. However, the average welder only makes $17.90 - $20.00. Not that this is a bad career option, I just get worried because I hear so many people discussing how much money welders make so there's no need for college. I work with some local youth, and they seem to believe that welders make upwards of $50/hr, and are making 6 figure incomes easily. Very, very few are. You have to own your own business to do that, at which point you better also have some business capability (yay business degrees!) or you're in a bad spot.

https://www.indeed.com/salaries/welder-Salaries
https://www.aws.org/resources/detail/an ... ss-america
https://www.careerexplorer.com/careers/welder/salary/

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » November 15th, 2019, 7:00 pm

That’s how my dad saw it. Be a welder. I work as a manufacturing leader and see tons of business opportunities for welders. Not a pipeline/shop welders, but a highly specialized business based on welding. Al, stainless, underwater, super high quality.... that’s were I see opportunities.

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » November 15th, 2019, 8:16 pm

I've seen lots of engineers in my company over the years. While they are smart - and surely do plenty that I would never be able to - they would bankrupt the company in a very short time.

By the way, this game is pretty good, just had a big change in momentum at a key moment!

#GOAGGIES! (even the supposedly smarter engineering grads :joking: )

Locked Previous topicNext topic