Big night for former Aggies.

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » November 13th, 2019, 9:28 pm

JKIII with 22 against BYU and Koby with 23 against Purdue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Imakeitrain

Re: Big night for former Aggies.

Post by Imakeitrain » November 13th, 2019, 10:00 pm

The numbers that stick out to me for Marquette is Brendan Bailey’s line.

I’m not saying it’s ripe for a change of scenery. But I am also not saying that he is not ripe for a change of scenery. All wishful thinking, but less woeful than wishing him well

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » November 13th, 2019, 10:02 pm

It would have been nice if JK3 could have gotten his school figured out. We coulda used him.
These users thanked the author ineptimusprime for the post (total 2):
ProvoAggieMetsJetsAggies

kevaggie
Has thanked: 0

Post by kevaggie » November 13th, 2019, 10:27 pm

If we had him at the end of the year last year we beat Washington.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » November 13th, 2019, 11:53 pm

Usu0505 wrote:
November 13th, 2019, 9:28 pm
JKIII with 22 against BYU and Koby with 23 against Purdue.

Watched about 2 minutes of the SUU game while flipping through channels until I couldn’t bear the announcers another second. JK3 deserved a bonus FG just for the hair. Wow. Glad he had a nice game.

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » November 14th, 2019, 12:08 am

Along these lines, anyone know if Henson is injured? He only played two minutes in WSU's first game and logged zero minutes in their second game.

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » November 14th, 2019, 3:40 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
November 13th, 2019, 10:02 pm
It would have been nice if JK3 could have gotten his school figured out. We coulda used him.
Yeah, still could too. Oh well, too bad he couldn't beat BYU for us from afar but he should enjoy himself a nice couple of seasons down there at SUU
These users thanked the author MetsJetsAggies for the post:
aggies22

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » November 14th, 2019, 7:02 am

ineptimusprime wrote:
It is what it is. Grades weren't the only issue JK3 was having. He weeded himself out and the team was better off for it.

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » November 14th, 2019, 7:29 am

aggies22 wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:
It is what it is. Grades weren't the only issue JK3 was having. He weeded himself out and the team was better off for it.
Like literally “weeded” himself out?

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » November 14th, 2019, 7:29 am

I’m fine with who we have on our team. I feel like we could be in a better position at PG than we are in. I watched Purdue and Marquette last night and I think we’re just fine with Koby taking his talents to south Milwaukee. He could have been a game changer, but I think he fits in better a place that tries to put athlete you, than out play you.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » November 14th, 2019, 7:34 am

Usu0505 wrote:
November 14th, 2019, 7:29 am
aggies22 wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

Not that I'm 100% certain of. Weeded out, as in removed himself. But he did like the extracurricular nightlife that some college students have been known to enjoy.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » November 14th, 2019, 8:25 am

LIke clockwork: more of the "Koby wouldn't have fit on this team" and "we're better without him" narrative. While I disagree vehemently, I will admit none of us knows for certain since he was never coached by Smith. I tend to believe as long as Koby was coachable -- and those closest to the team said he was very coachable and worked his tail off to get better -- he would have been a great addition to this team. But Duryea's incompetence combined with the predicted ineptitude of USU going into last season drove Koby away before he gave Smith a chance. Too bad, but it is what it is, so I'm not sure why we keep dwelling on it.
These users thanked the author ChicAggie for the post (total 3):
TrueBlueBigVBAgBill_George

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » November 14th, 2019, 8:25 am

I just hope the lousy BYU team from last night shows up against the Aggies. They are not good. The missing guy will help, but they were lousy and suu really executed poorly down the stretch and could have won

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » November 14th, 2019, 8:30 am

WAAggie wrote:
November 14th, 2019, 8:25 am
I just hope the lousy BYU team from last night shows up against the Aggies. They are not good. The missing guy will help, but they were lousy and suu really executed poorly down the stretch and could have won

I hope they show up looking polished, executing well, and running smoothly. Then, we smoke them like a ham anyway.
These users thanked the author Real Life Aggie for the post:
Slim80

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » November 14th, 2019, 8:31 am

WAAggie wrote:
Can I ask a favor of everyone? I live outside the Rockies, so I'm always confused when people talk about BYU without clarifying which one. Are you talking about BYU-H, BYU-I, or BYU-P? I would ask that all posters please clarify this when posting so I'm not left in the (outer) dark(ness).
These users thanked the author ChicAggie for the post (total 7):
USU78aggiesdotcomAggiesForeverSlim80usufan1BearLakeMonsterBigVBAg

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » November 14th, 2019, 8:33 am

ChicAggie wrote:LIke clockwork: more of the "Koby wouldn't have fit on this team" and "we're better without him" narrative. While I disagree vehemently, I will admit none of us knows for certain since he was never coached by Smith. I tend to believe as long as Koby was coachable -- and those closest to the team said he was very coachable and worked his tail off to get better -- he would have been a great addition to this team. But Duryea's incompetence combined with the predicted ineptitude of USU going into last season drove Koby away before he gave Smith a chance. Too bad, but it is what it is, so I'm not sure why we keep dwelling on it.
Yep. Happens every time without fail.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » November 14th, 2019, 8:33 am

ChicAggie wrote:
November 14th, 2019, 8:31 am
WAAggie wrote:
Can I ask a favor of everyone? I live outside the Rockies, so I'm always confused when people talk about BYU without clarifying which one. Are you talking about BYU-H, BYU-I, or BYU-P? I would ask that all posters please clarify this when posting so I'm not left in the (outer) dark(ness).
I asked the athletic department to update the official website for further clarification as well and they declined. The schedule page on USUFans will always differentiate between the campuses.
These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post (total 4):
Real Life AggieChicAggieaggiesdotcomusufan1

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » November 14th, 2019, 8:46 am

ProvoAggie wrote:
November 14th, 2019, 8:33 am
ChicAggie wrote:
WAAggie wrote:
I asked the athletic department to update the official website for further clarification as well and they declined. The schedule page on USUFans will always differentiate between the campuses.
I just noticed that in the USUFans list it was differentiated as BYU-Provo, and it made me feel very happy.

nswaggie

Post by nswaggie » November 14th, 2019, 8:49 am

I had no idea those teams were playing, I only check top 25 games these days. I’m hoping to make it a habit for the entire year 🤞 go Aggies :utah: :state:
These users thanked the author nswaggie for the post:
ChicAggie

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » November 14th, 2019, 9:47 am

ChicAggie wrote:LIke clockwork: more of the "Koby wouldn't have fit on this team" and "we're better without him" narrative. While I disagree vehemently, I will admit none of us knows for certain since he was never coached by Smith. I tend to believe as long as Koby was coachable -- and those closest to the team said he was very coachable and worked his tail off to get better -- he would have been a great addition to this team. But Duryea's incompetence combined with the predicted ineptitude of USU going into last season drove Koby away before he gave Smith a chance. Too bad, but it is what it is, so I'm not sure why we keep dwelling on it.
Over reaction much?

“He could have been a game changer”

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » November 14th, 2019, 9:48 am

ChicAggie wrote:
LIke clockwork: more of the "Koby wouldn't have fit on this team" and "we're better without him" narrative. While I disagree vehemently, I will admit none of us knows for certain since he was never coached by Smith. I tend to believe as long as Koby was coachable -- and those closest to the team said he was very coachable and worked his tail off to get better -- he would have been a great addition to this team. But Duryea's incompetence combined with the predicted ineptitude of USU going into last season drove Koby away before he gave Smith a chance. Too bad, but it is what it is, so I'm not sure why we keep dwelling on it.
Aesop explained it 100's of years ago.........It's called "Sour Grapes". Happens every time we lose someone good.
These users thanked the author mcaggie1 for the post (total 2):
ChicAggieusufan1

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » November 14th, 2019, 10:42 am

aggies22 wrote:
Usu0505 wrote:
November 14th, 2019, 7:29 am
aggies22 wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:

Not that I'm 100% certain of. Weeded out, as in removed himself. But he did like the extracurricular nightlife that some college students have been known to enjoy.
Got ya.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » November 14th, 2019, 10:44 am

JK3 was dominating BYU at will last night. It's too bad their coach took him out for a large portion of the 4th quarter. BYU was behind when JK3 went out and then went on a huge run to take a lead. JK3 came back in at the end and pulled SUU within a couple points but it was too little, too late. Hopefully Knight can continue to have success at SUU. I wish him the best.

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » November 14th, 2019, 11:02 am

I'm not trying to be sarcastic or dredge up an old dead horse, but wasn't he one of the Summit League recruits? It was one or maybe both of the Knights is all I can recall.

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » November 14th, 2019, 11:13 am

2004AG wrote:

Koby is dead to me although I would love it if the Aggies ended up playing his team at some point during the NCAA Tourney.

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » November 14th, 2019, 11:15 am

Aggie in Boise wrote:
November 14th, 2019, 11:13 am
2004AG wrote:

Koby is dead to me although I would love it if the Aggies ended up playing his team at some point during the NCAA Tourney.
I bet you're fun at parties.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » November 14th, 2019, 11:52 am

treesap32 wrote:
November 14th, 2019, 10:44 am
JK3 was dominating BYU at will last night. It's too bad their coach took him out for a large portion of the 4th quarter. BYU was behind when JK3 went out and then went on a huge run to take a lead. JK3 came back in at the end and pulled SUU within a couple points but it was too little, too late. Hopefully Knight can continue to have success at SUU. I wish him the best.
Was it a women's basketball game?
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post (total 3):
BustaMcNuttsam tingeyaggies22

AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff

Post by AggiesForever » November 14th, 2019, 12:46 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
WAAggie wrote:
HAHA, I think it could be said that the ONLY BYU we give a crap around here is the University of California at Provo. BYU Hawaii and BYU Idaho are athletic non-entities.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » November 14th, 2019, 12:52 pm

NVAggie wrote:
November 14th, 2019, 11:52 am
treesap32 wrote:
November 14th, 2019, 10:44 am
Was it a women's basketball game?
:oops:

Last 10 minutes of play. :thanks:

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » November 14th, 2019, 12:55 pm

It's an honest mistake. Lots of those BYU men's hoopsters look a little feminine.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post (total 3):
Real Life AggieBustaMcNuttaggies22

Usu0505

Post by Usu0505 » November 14th, 2019, 1:04 pm

Talk about having that look. Every one of them.

These users thanked the author Usu0505 for the post:
aggies22

Aggie in Boise

Post by Aggie in Boise » November 14th, 2019, 1:49 pm

Real Life Aggie wrote:
November 14th, 2019, 11:15 am
Aggie in Boise wrote:
November 14th, 2019, 11:13 am
2004AG wrote:

I bet you're fun at parties.
Only when the parties are in North Ogden. :lol: I actually grew up there.
These users thanked the author Aggie in Boise for the post:
Real Life Aggie

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » November 14th, 2019, 2:09 pm

My trouble with Koby was his usage rate was as high as Sam's but his efficiency was low. As a Soph he earned 0.979 points per shot attempt (2s and 3s).
On the other hand Sam Merrill earned 1.264 per shot.

So every shot Koby took instead of Sam we lost over .28 points. It amounts to about 3.5 points lost per game.

So you're probably like, well Sam wouldn't take all of the shots that Kobe wasn't taking. Right. So here are some numbers on the other teammates in the '17-'18 season (only those who played more than 500 minutes):
Dwayne Brown Jr. earned 1.016 points per attempt
Alexis Dargenton earned 1.102 points per attempt
Quinn Taylor earned 1.302 points per attempt
Diogo Brito earned 1.049 points per attempt
DeAngelo Isby earned 0.963

So every shot Koby took was worse than if it were taken by someone else - with the exception of Isby. It should be noted that these are all Koby's Sophomore season numbers and teammates. As a Freshman Koby was better. That year he earned 1.119 points per attempt. But he wasn't good his Sophomore season.

I'm not sure what he would have done had he stayed, but that Sophomore season wasn't good. I'm sure if he would have stayed that Smith would have gotten the most from him. He was great in his first game at Marquette.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » November 14th, 2019, 4:28 pm

Bank Shot wrote:
November 14th, 2019, 11:02 am
I'm not trying to be sarcastic or dredge up an old dead horse, but wasn't he one of the Summit League recruits? It was one or maybe both of the Knights is all I can recall.
Nope, that would be Tauriawn Knight that followed coach Smith here.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post:
aggies22

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » November 14th, 2019, 4:36 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
I can tell you I will watch every Marquette game I can because of him. He is so fluid on O and D, handles the ball so well, and can really change a game at either end of the court. We really don't have anyone that moves like him or possesses his ability to create and I can't help but wonder what might have been for this team had he stayed. We are good without him but if he's a part of this team and were to play meaningful minutes then it would mean he bought into Smith's team system and we would be better for it. BTW, Marquette looks incredibly athletic at every spot.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post (total 2):
TrueBlueBigVBAg

Locked Previous topicNext topic