Where's the foul?

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
aggiesdotcom

Where's the foul?

Post by aggiesdotcom » November 6th, 2019, 9:28 am

College basketball games, last night in particular, are way over officiated anymore. Neither team was allowed to play defense. It's frustrating to go to a game only to watch a free throw shooting contest.

Aggie in Boise

Re: Where's the foul?

Post by Aggie in Boise » November 6th, 2019, 9:35 am

aggiesdotcom wrote:
November 6th, 2019, 9:28 am
College basketball games, last night in particular, are way over officiated anymore. Neither team was allowed to play defense. It's frustrating to go to a game only to watch a free throw shooting contest.
I agree but have to admit that I enjoyed watching Sam and Alphonso knock down their free throws.
Last edited by Aggie in Boise on November 6th, 2019, 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Aggie in Boise for the post:
aggiesdotcom

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » November 6th, 2019, 10:04 am

It is always this way to start the season. They call the preseason very differently from the conference season and tournament season. I have always hated it.

Aggiesbleedblue

Post by Aggiesbleedblue » November 6th, 2019, 10:05 am

I thought the most egregious foul call was the one called on Porter on the fast break. That was a clean block
These users thanked the author Aggiesbleedblue for the post:
tysteve20

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » November 6th, 2019, 10:10 am

Aggiesbleedblue wrote:
November 6th, 2019, 10:05 am
I thought the most egregious foul call was the one called on Porter on the fast break. That was a clean block
It seemed to me like he hit forearm during that play. I mean, even Porter knew it... That's why he was cringing even as he was dropping down before the whistle was called. At least that's what it seemed like to me.

I thought it was an appropriate call, though I wasn't happy about it.

Ag4life

Post by Ag4life » November 6th, 2019, 11:58 am

Real Life Aggie wrote:
November 6th, 2019, 10:10 am
Aggiesbleedblue wrote:
It seemed to me like he hit forearm during that play. I mean, even Porter knew it... That's why he was cringing even as he was dropping down before the whistle was called. At least that's what it seemed like to me.

If it's the play I'm thinking of with Porter, he thought that was clean. I saw him go over to one ref and asked if he made the call and he said it was the other. He then walked to the other ref and it looked like he was complaining to that him.

dogie

Post by dogie » November 6th, 2019, 2:08 pm

It might have been mentioned elsewhere on this board, but Merrill’s 17 free throws tied a school record.

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » November 6th, 2019, 2:14 pm

dogie wrote:
November 6th, 2019, 2:08 pm
It might have been mentioned elsewhere on this board, but Merrill’s 17 free throws tied a school record.
Merrill is 1st in the country in made free throws after opening night. The next closest guy has 12 made...

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » November 6th, 2019, 2:50 pm

I expect this early in the season. It happens in the NBA too. Way too many whistles.

Aggiefever

Post by Aggiefever » November 6th, 2019, 8:30 pm

Real Life Aggie wrote:
Aggiesbleedblue wrote:

I don’t remember Porter cringing. When the ref blew the whistle, Porter looks over in disbelief and was very frustrated with the call. Also, as the student section pointed out, “Ball don’t lie” after 15 missed the free throws.

Real Life Aggie

Post by Real Life Aggie » November 7th, 2019, 10:44 am

Aggiefever wrote:
November 6th, 2019, 8:30 pm
Real Life Aggie wrote:
Aggiesbleedblue wrote:

I don’t remember Porter cringing. When the ref blew the whistle, Porter looks over in disbelief and was very frustrated with the call. Also, as the student section pointed out, “Ball don’t lie” after 15 missed the free throws.
Then I must be thinking of a different call, because there was one in the second half where Porter came down cringing and was walking around with his hands held up at his chest. The crowd was rather upset at the call (because it was on us), but Porter clearly knew it was a foul.

I apologize for mixing up the play I thought Aggiesbleedblue was talking about and the play they were actually talking about.

Dkdavis

Post by Dkdavis » November 7th, 2019, 2:21 pm

Real Life Aggie wrote:
November 7th, 2019, 10:44 am
Aggiefever wrote:
November 6th, 2019, 8:30 pm
Real Life Aggie wrote:
Aggiesbleedblue wrote:

Then I must be thinking of a different call, because there was one in the second half where Porter came down cringing and was walking around with his hands held up at his chest. The crowd was rather upset at the call (because it was on us), but Porter clearly knew it was a foul.

I apologize for mixing up the play I thought Aggiesbleedblue was talking about and the play they were actually talking about.
It bugs me when people rip into the refs for a call that was clearly a foul. I feel like if you only give them crap for the actually bad calls then they are more likely to give us a make up call. I’m also not a fan of personally attacking a ref beyond the game. I heard some of that last game as well...

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » November 7th, 2019, 9:39 pm

Just for reference, our game had 54 fouls in 40 minutes of play. That is virtually unwatchable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author jpswensen for the post:
NVAggie

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

Locked Previous topicNext topic