USU Best Roster in Program History?

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggie in Boise
Posts: 433
Joined: February 15th, 2019, 1:58 pm
Has thanked: 60 times
Been thanked: 152 times

USU Best Roster in Program History?

Post by Aggie in Boise » October 17th, 2019, 10:16 am



Utah State discussion starts at about 2:05

Katz says we have the chance to advance beyond the sweet 16 to the elite 8.



NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.
Posts: 16544
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:09 am
Location: Where the sagebrush grows!
Has thanked: 787 times
Been thanked: 696 times

Re: USU Best Roster in Program History?

Post by NVAggie » October 17th, 2019, 12:44 pm

I hope all of this preseason hype is true. I am still trying to recover from the Duryea days where my expectations were very low. I'm like the nerd trying to keep my cool hanging out with the hot chick. I just don't want to blow it.



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 9217
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 4271 times
Been thanked: 2440 times
Contact:

Re: USU Best Roster in Program History?

Post by aggies22 » October 17th, 2019, 1:19 pm

I was just discussing this subject earlier today with USUBlue. We both agreed that top to bottom this is the best Aggie team ever from player 1 through 15.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
IdaAg93AggieFBObsession



Aggie in Boise
Posts: 433
Joined: February 15th, 2019, 1:58 pm
Has thanked: 60 times
Been thanked: 152 times

Re: USU Best Roster in Program History?

Post by Aggie in Boise » October 17th, 2019, 1:22 pm

aggies22 wrote:
October 17th, 2019, 1:19 pm
I was just discussing this subject earlier today with USUBlue. We both agreed that top to bottom this is the best Aggie team ever from player 1 through 15.
Likely the best coaching staff ever, as well.
These users thanked the author Aggie in Boise for the post:
IdaAg93



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 9217
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 4271 times
Been thanked: 2440 times
Contact:

Re: USU Best Roster in Program History?

Post by aggies22 » October 17th, 2019, 1:55 pm

Aggie in Boise wrote:
October 17th, 2019, 1:22 pm
aggies22 wrote:
October 17th, 2019, 1:19 pm
I was just discussing this subject earlier today with USUBlue. We both agreed that top to bottom this is the best Aggie team ever from player 1 through 15.
Likely the best coaching staff ever, as well.
Agreed. In the event that Coach Smith were to ever leave, the next head coach is on the current staff.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 4):
Aggie in BoiseIdaAg93AggieFBObsessionFull



User avatar
BLUERUFiO
Posts: 2390
Joined: August 30th, 2011, 1:22 pm
Location: Smithfield
Has thanked: 492 times
Been thanked: 52 times

Re: USU Best Roster in Program History?

Post by BLUERUFiO » October 17th, 2019, 2:46 pm

Let’s just keep giving Smith raises... please?
These users thanked the author BLUERUFiO for the post:
donlarson8


GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

Aggie in Boise
Posts: 433
Joined: February 15th, 2019, 1:58 pm
Has thanked: 60 times
Been thanked: 152 times

Re: USU Best Roster in Program History?

Post by Aggie in Boise » October 17th, 2019, 2:52 pm

BLUERUFiO wrote:
October 17th, 2019, 2:46 pm
Let’s just keep giving Smith raises... please?
How much will it take to retain him? Larry K. makes 3.4 million per year.



User avatar
treesap32
Moderator
Posts: 14932
Joined: July 28th, 2005, 1:00 am
Location: Washington D.C.
Has thanked: 265 times
Been thanked: 513 times
Contact:

Re: USU Best Roster in Program History?

Post by treesap32 » October 17th, 2019, 2:59 pm

Aggie in Boise wrote:
October 17th, 2019, 2:52 pm
BLUERUFiO wrote:
October 17th, 2019, 2:46 pm
Let’s just keep giving Smith raises... please?
How much will it take to retain him? Larry K. makes 3.4 million per year.
That's probably not a great comparison. We don't have PAC-12 level money...



LarryTheAggie
Posts: 290
Joined: July 4th, 2013, 12:04 pm
Location: Washington DC
Has thanked: 60 times
Been thanked: 36 times

Re: USU Best Roster in Program History?

Post by LarryTheAggie » October 17th, 2019, 3:07 pm

treesap32 wrote:
October 17th, 2019, 2:59 pm
Aggie in Boise wrote:
October 17th, 2019, 2:52 pm
BLUERUFiO wrote:
October 17th, 2019, 2:46 pm
Let’s just keep giving Smith raises... please?
How much will it take to retain him? Larry K. makes 3.4 million per year.
That's probably not a great comparison. We don't have PAC-12 level money...
Yeah but Larry K is also a sucky coach, so a great coach in the Mountain West should make as much as a sucky Pac 12 coach... Right?

Okay so Larry K is probably very overpaid.



User avatar
IdaAg93
Posts: 1474
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:30 am
Location: SE Idaho...a perfect distance from the hive.
Has thanked: 319 times
Been thanked: 20 times

Re: USU Best Roster in Program History?

Post by IdaAg93 » October 17th, 2019, 3:09 pm

NVAggie wrote:I hope all of this preseason hype is true. I am still trying to recover from the Duryea days where my expectations were very low. I'm like the nerd trying to keep my cool hanging out with the hot chick. I just don't want to blow it.
Gotta hope USU doesn’t start some hype campaign for this team or Merrill. It would surely take turn for the worse. SMH


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author IdaAg93 for the post:
Roy McAvoy



Aggie in Boise
Posts: 433
Joined: February 15th, 2019, 1:58 pm
Has thanked: 60 times
Been thanked: 152 times

Re: USU Best Roster in Program History?

Post by Aggie in Boise » October 17th, 2019, 3:13 pm

Larry is way overpaid. I wonder how Utah was able to pay him that much? Larry is in the top 10 for basketball coaching salaries. Arizona is the only PAC 12 Team that pays more than Utah. Even Wayne Tinkle makes nearly 2 million per year. I'm not saying we have PAC 12 money. I'm just wondering what we would have to pay to retain Coach Smith. It's very possible that he could go somewhere else and make 2 to 3 million per year, if he has a really good season this year.



nvspuds
Posts: 777
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 6:32 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 221 times

Re: USU Best Roster in Program History?

Post by nvspuds » October 17th, 2019, 3:19 pm

Muss jumped up from a million per to 2.5 per when he went to Arkansas. Smith could certainly get in that range if you guys have a big year..
These users thanked the author nvspuds for the post:
AggieFBObsession



User avatar
USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly
Posts: 7347
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 6:43 am
Location: Sandy
Has thanked: 1256 times
Been thanked: 368 times

Re: USU Best Roster in Program History?

Post by USU78 » October 17th, 2019, 3:35 pm

Aggie in Boise wrote:
October 17th, 2019, 3:13 pm
Larry is way overpaid. I wonder how Utah was able to pay him that much? Larry is in the top 10 for basketball coaching salaries. Arizona is the only PAC 12 Team that pays more than Utah. Even Wayne Tinkle makes nearly 2 million per year. I'm not saying we have PAC 12 money. I'm just wondering what we would have to pay to retain Coach Smith. It's very possible that he could go somewhere else and make 2 to 3 million per year, if he has a really good season this year.
Image


You keep using that word. I do not think that word means what you think it means.

User avatar
Jjoey53
Posts: 1654
Joined: January 9th, 2018, 4:28 pm
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 145 times

Re: USU Best Roster in Program History?

Post by Jjoey53 » October 17th, 2019, 3:45 pm

Wasn’t Stew paid about 2 mil? Seems like Smith is worth that much.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk



AgMan21
Posts: 1379
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 6:01 pm
Has thanked: 95 times
Been thanked: 143 times

Re: USU Best Roster in Program History?

Post by AgMan21 » October 17th, 2019, 3:52 pm

Jjoey53 wrote:
October 17th, 2019, 3:45 pm
Wasn’t Stew paid about 2 mil? Seems like Smith is worth that much.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
From this article it looks like he was making $715K.

https://www.rgj.com/story/sports/colleg ... /70727324/



oleblu111
Posts: 1522
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 4:34 pm
Has thanked: 568 times
Been thanked: 204 times

Re: USU Best Roster in Program History?

Post by oleblu111 » October 17th, 2019, 5:19 pm

We have not given Smith a raise yet as far as I know. With total ticket sales for all sports only being just over $2 million where is the money going to come from ? We maybe able to pay him $800,000 but that is the max and a real stretch.

If Smith has a big year he will be gone so we should sit back and enjoy the ride



User avatar
AGGIEinIOWA
Posts: 1155
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 10:50 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 120 times

Re: USU Best Roster in Program History?

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » October 17th, 2019, 8:17 pm

Who on the current staff would be a legitimate candidate. Do any of them have head coaching experience.



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 9217
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 4271 times
Been thanked: 2440 times
Contact:

Re: USU Best Roster in Program History?

Post by aggies22 » October 17th, 2019, 10:40 pm

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
October 17th, 2019, 8:17 pm
Who on the current staff would be a legitimate candidate. Do any of them have head coaching experience.
Eric Peterson.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
Full



Ahbye
Posts: 1723
Joined: September 26th, 2012, 9:50 pm
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 138 times

Re: USU Best Roster in Program History?

Post by Ahbye » October 18th, 2019, 1:57 am

oleblu111 wrote:
October 17th, 2019, 5:19 pm
We have not given Smith a raise yet as far as I know. With total ticket sales for all sports only being just over $2 million where is the money going to come from ? We maybe able to pay him $800,000 but that is the max and a real stretch.

If Smith has a big year he will be gone so we should sit back and enjoy the ride
One NCAA tournament unit (which we earned this past year for our tourney appearance) is worth $273,000 for the most recent NCAA tournament year. The NCAA pays those out for six years, so for the next six years, the MWC will receive a payment every April in that amount, which will then be divided 11 ways for the conference. (Hawaii has no basketball.) So for that six years, USU's share will be $148,909. If we even go to the Sweet Sixteen this year, that gives us three credits (for 3 games) which would be worth over $4.9 million to the conference over the next six years. USU's share would be $446,727. Most conferences share out equally but some give a bonus to those who actually earn the credits. If we and the MWC can even have middling success, getting two to three teams in the tourney each year and the occasional break-out year, we can toss about 150k a year towards Smith's salary. We paid Stew over 600k his last few years here and that was just base. He had some other stuff that put it close to 800k. So is it harder to get money to pay a coach? Yes, but athletic inertia will feed on itself. We are at or near the top of the MWC in revenue sports year after year. All these new facilities and such don't come without initial success from somewhere. https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... /33074891/

One thing we don't talk about on here as much as we probably should is the amount of new donors coming online over the past decade, which has accelerated quite a bit in just the last two years. It's not just the Laub's anymore. There are some genuinely successful, young, die-hard Aggies who will keep the momentum going for years to come.
These users thanked the author Ahbye for the post (total 4):
AggieFBObsessionRoy McAvoyaggies22donlarson8



User avatar
AGGIEinIOWA
Posts: 1155
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 10:50 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 120 times

Re: USU Best Roster in Program History?

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » October 18th, 2019, 7:32 am

If this truly is our best roster in history I will be very disappointed if we lose to BYU-P yet again. I think we’ve had better teams than them in recent years but just can’t mentally get over the hump and win that game. Need to take a page from the football team and reverse the script.
These users thanked the author AGGIEinIOWA for the post:
aggies22



aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 9217
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 4271 times
Been thanked: 2440 times
Contact:

Re: USU Best Roster in Program History?

Post by aggies22 » October 18th, 2019, 9:05 am

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
October 18th, 2019, 7:32 am
If this truly is our best roster in history I will be very disappointed if we lose to BYU-P yet again. I think we’ve had better teams than them in recent years but just can’t mentally get over the hump and win that game. Need to take a page from the football team and reverse the script.
I've said exactly this several times on this board! I'm glad to see someone else feels the same way!



User avatar
AGGIEinIOWA
Posts: 1155
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 10:50 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 120 times

Re: USU Best Roster in Program History?

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » October 18th, 2019, 9:08 am

aggies22 wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
October 18th, 2019, 7:32 am
If this truly is our best roster in history I will be very disappointed if we lose to BYU-P yet again. I think we’ve had better teams than them in recent years but just can’t mentally get over the hump and win that game. Need to take a page from the football team and reverse the script.
I've said exactly this several times on this board! I'm glad to see someone else feels the same way!
If we can negate Yoeli we should win. Keeping Neemi out of foul trouble will be critical.



User avatar
Roy McAvoy
Posts: 5367
Joined: November 2nd, 2011, 1:30 pm
Has thanked: 375 times
Been thanked: 622 times

Re: USU Best Roster in Program History?

Post by Roy McAvoy » October 18th, 2019, 9:10 am

AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
October 18th, 2019, 9:08 am
aggies22 wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
October 18th, 2019, 7:32 am
If this truly is our best roster in history I will be very disappointed if we lose to BYU-P yet again. I think we’ve had better teams than them in recent years but just can’t mentally get over the hump and win that game. Need to take a page from the football team and reverse the script.
I've said exactly this several times on this board! I'm glad to see someone else feels the same way!
If we can negate Yoeli we should win. Keeping Neemi out of foul trouble will be critical.
...If Neemi even plays that game.



Coloraggie
Posts: 1555
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 10:09 am
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 33 times

Re: USU Best Roster in Program History?

Post by Coloraggie » October 18th, 2019, 9:17 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
October 18th, 2019, 9:10 am
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
October 18th, 2019, 9:08 am
aggies22 wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
October 18th, 2019, 7:32 am
If this truly is our best roster in history I will be very disappointed if we lose to BYU-P yet again. I think we’ve had better teams than them in recent years but just can’t mentally get over the hump and win that game. Need to take a page from the football team and reverse the script.
I've said exactly this several times on this board! I'm glad to see someone else feels the same way!
If we can negate Yoeli we should win. Keeping Neemi out of foul trouble will be critical.
...If Neemi even plays that game.
Look on the bright side, if he doesn't play then he won't be in foul trouble and that is the key to winning that game.
These users thanked the author Coloraggie for the post (total 3):
tysteve20NVAggieAndroidAggie



oleblu111
Posts: 1522
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 4:34 pm
Has thanked: 568 times
Been thanked: 204 times

Re: USU Best Roster in Program History?

Post by oleblu111 » October 18th, 2019, 10:00 am

Ahbye wrote:
October 18th, 2019, 1:57 am
oleblu111 wrote:
October 17th, 2019, 5:19 pm
We have not given Smith a raise yet as far as I know. With total ticket sales for all sports only being just over $2 million where is the money going to come from ? We maybe able to pay him $800,000 but that is the max and a real stretch.

If Smith has a big year he will be gone so we should sit back and enjoy the ride
One NCAA tournament unit (which we earned this past year for our tourney appearance) is worth $273,000 for the most recent NCAA tournament year. The NCAA pays those out for six years, so for the next six years, the MWC will receive a payment every April in that amount, which will then be divided 11 ways for the conference. (Hawaii has no basketball.) So for that six years, USU's share will be $148,909. If we even go to the Sweet Sixteen this year, that gives us three credits (for 3 games) which would be worth over $4.9 million to the conference over the next six years. USU's share would be $446,727. Most conferences share out equally but some give a bonus to those who actually earn the credits. If we and the MWC can even have middling success, getting two to three teams in the tourney each year and the occasional break-out year, we can toss about 150k a year towards Smith's salary. We paid Stew over 600k his last few years here and that was just base. He had some other stuff that put it close to 800k. So is it harder to get money to pay a coach? Yes, but athletic inertia will feed on itself. We are at or near the top of the MWC in revenue sports year after year. All these new facilities and such don't come without initial success from somewhere. https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... /33074891/

One thing we don't talk about on here as much as we probably should is the amount of new donors coming online over the past decade, which has accelerated quite a bit in just the last two years. It's not just the Laub's anymore. There are some genuinely successful, young, die-hard Aggies who will keep the momentum going for years to come.
I know that donations have gone up, however much of that would be from premium seating in the west stadium complex, and I would think it goes for paying the debt on that building. You can and should give bonus payments for coach's that make the NCAA or win the conference , but to increase the wage based on that every season should not happen..

You can not compare wages for coach's at Utah and USU first of all they sell $19 million in tickets, compared to $2 million and get pac-12 revenue which is much more than MWC revenue.

With that said I.m happy donations are going up, and that revenue will be good when the bonds are paid down.



jpswensen
Posts: 1505
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 6:59 pm
Location: Pullman, WA
Has thanked: 132 times
Been thanked: 206 times
Contact:

Re: USU Best Roster in Program History?

Post by jpswensen » October 18th, 2019, 10:56 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
October 18th, 2019, 9:10 am
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
October 18th, 2019, 9:08 am
aggies22 wrote:
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
October 18th, 2019, 7:32 am
If this truly is our best roster in history I will be very disappointed if we lose to BYU-P yet again. I think we’ve had better teams than them in recent years but just can’t mentally get over the hump and win that game. Need to take a page from the football team and reverse the script.
I've said exactly this several times on this board! I'm glad to see someone else feels the same way!
If we can negate Yoeli we should win. Keeping Neemi out of foul trouble will be critical.
...If Neemi even plays that game.
I hope this is tongue in cheek and that there isn't some insider info about his injury being worse than is public knowledge.


Jordan Nathan's #2 Fan (seriously, YBA thinks he wins out against mom?!?!?!)

thetrueaggie
Posts: 111
Joined: October 10th, 2015, 6:43 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: USU Best Roster in Program History?

Post by thetrueaggie » October 18th, 2019, 11:37 am

The fact that we're having this conversation just 1 year after hiring Smith is incredible in and of itself.



User avatar
AGGIEinIOWA
Posts: 1155
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 10:50 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 120 times

Re: USU Best Roster in Program History?

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » October 18th, 2019, 12:26 pm

Aggie in Boise wrote:
October 17th, 2019, 10:16 am


Utah State discussion starts at about 2:05

Katz says we have the chance to advance beyond the sweet 16 to the elite 8.
Just think, we are playing 2 teams on this list this season in St Mary's & USF (and one of them next season in Davidson). Add these games to Florida, LSU, and BYU-P, we have a very formidable non-conf schedule. Should be well battle tested.



User avatar
AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff
Posts: 1934
Joined: January 1st, 1997, 12:00 am
Has thanked: 172 times
Been thanked: 163 times

Re: USU Best Roster in Program History?

Post by AggiesForever » October 18th, 2019, 5:25 pm

This years roster is pretty good, but the 1969-1970 team that went to the Elite 8 was pretty great. Marv Roberts and Nate Williams were all-Americans at forward and they had a very solid center in 6-10 Canadian Tim Tollestrip, with saavy Paul Jeppesen at one guard and Sophmore assist man Jeff Tebbs on the point. 4 out of 5 starters scored in double figures, and they brought long-range shooter Terry Wakefield, solid combo guard Ed Epps, off the bench, along with forwards Ron Hatch and John Erickson and center Chris "String" Bean. Roberts and Williams averaged 22 and 21 points a game and everybody else knew exactly what their roles were. LaDell Andersen has said many times that if Williams doesn't hurt his ankle in the first half, the Aggies beat UCLA (who they led at the half) and win the national championship. I don't know about that, but LaDell hasn't been wrong about too many things like that. It was a great team, that's for sure!
These users thanked the author AggiesForever for the post (total 6):
sam tingeyoleblu111aggies22donlarson8LoveMyAggiesAggieFBObsession



User avatar
frankiesaysrelax
Posts: 438
Joined: August 15th, 2014, 8:15 pm
Has thanked: 91 times
Been thanked: 136 times

Re: USU Best Roster in Program History?

Post by frankiesaysrelax » October 18th, 2019, 5:46 pm

NVspuds, what was the best roster in UNR history? That team with Snyder back in early 2000’s has to be up there but you’ve had some good teams go through in the last 20 years.



User avatar
AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff
Posts: 1934
Joined: January 1st, 1997, 12:00 am
Has thanked: 172 times
Been thanked: 163 times

Re: USU Best Roster in Program History?

Post by AggiesForever » October 18th, 2019, 5:57 pm

Aggie in Boise wrote:
October 17th, 2019, 1:22 pm
Likely the best coaching staff ever, as well.
There have been some pretty good coaching staff's at Utah State. Here's two that surpass the coaching staff we now have. Time, will tell, of course.

1966-1971: LaDell Andersen, with Dale Brown and Dutch Belnap as assistants.

After leaving USU, Dale Brown went on to become a national coaching legend, winning 448 games while leading LSU into national prominence with 2 final four appearances and named SEC coach of the year four times. Dale was a fantastic recruiter at USU, bringing Shaler Halimon, Marv Roberts, Nate Williams as others to the Aggies.

As USU's coach, Dutch Belnap led the Aggies to three postseason appearances, playing in the 1975 and 1979 NCAA Tournaments, along with the 1978 National Invitation Tournament. In all, Belnap's teams never had a losing record and two of his teams notched 20 wins as the 1974-75 team went 21-6, while the 1977-78 team went 21-7. In fact, USU's 21-6 record during the 1974-75 campaign was the second-best mark in school history at the time. Belnap compiled a then-school record 64.6 winning percentage, a mark that still ranks third all-time in school history, as his teams posted a 106-58 record.

1974-75: Dutch Belnap, with assistants Jim Harrick and Rod Tueller.

Rod Tueller went on to win 139 games at USU over 9 seasons. His teams appeared in the NCAA Tournament 3 times during that span, and he coached some great Aggies, including All-Century players Brian Jackson and Dean Hunger.

All Jim Harrick did was win 470 college basketball games at Pepperdine, UCLA, Rhode Island, and Georgia, with one national championship at UCLA in 1995. Harrick is still coaching today, serving as an assistant at Cal-Northridge.

We haven't even discussed Stew Morrill and his staff of Randy Rahe and Don Verlin.

We have to be careful when throwing around the title "best coaching staff EVER." Frankly, with only one season under their belt, this coaching staff really hasn't established anything yet at USU except one really good season. But there is no doubt that if they stay here a few years they could ring up some impressive numbers
These users thanked the author AggiesForever for the post:
donlarson8



User avatar
GUS
Posts: 2720
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:04 am
Has thanked: 49 times
Been thanked: 159 times

Re: USU Best Roster in Program History?

Post by GUS » October 18th, 2019, 6:12 pm

AggiesForever wrote:
October 18th, 2019, 5:25 pm
This years roster is pretty good, but the 1969-1970 team that went to the Elite 8 was pretty great. Marv Roberts and Nate Williams were all-Americans at forward and they had a very solid center in 6-10 Canadian Tim Tollestrip, with saavy Paul Jeppesen at one guard and Sophmore assist man Jeff Tebbs on the point. All the starters scored in double figures, and they brought long-range shooter Terry Wakefield, solid combo guard Ed Epps, off the bench, along with forwards Ron Hatch and John Erickson and center Chris "String" Bean. Roberts and Williams averaged 22 and 21 points a game and everybody else knew exactly what their roles were. LaDell Andersen has said many times that if Williams doesn't hurt his ankle in the first half, the Aggies beat UCLA (who they led at the half) and win the national championship. I don't know about that, but LaDell hasn't been wrong about too many things like that. It was a great team, that's for sure!
Got to agree with AF. That 69-70 team was a good one. Unless this years team wins a couple of games in the tournament, I can't crown it the best in program history.
These users thanked the author GUS for the post:
LoveMyAggies



72AgGrad
Posts: 6208
Joined: December 1st, 2010, 8:52 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: USU Best Roster in Program History?

Post by 72AgGrad » October 18th, 2019, 7:15 pm

AggiesForever wrote:
October 18th, 2019, 5:25 pm
This years roster is pretty good, but the 1969-1970 team that went to the Elite 8 was pretty great. Marv Roberts and Nate Williams were all-Americans at forward and they had a very solid center in 6-10 Canadian Tim Tollestrip, with saavy Paul Jeppesen at one guard and Sophmore assist man Jeff Tebbs on the point. All the starters scored in double figures, and they brought long-range shooter Terry Wakefield, solid combo guard Ed Epps, off the bench, along with forwards Ron Hatch and John Erickson and center Chris "String" Bean. Roberts and Williams averaged 22 and 21 points a game and everybody else knew exactly what their roles were. LaDell Andersen has said many times that if Williams doesn't hurt his ankle in the first half, the Aggies beat UCLA (who they led at the half) and win the national championship. I don't know about that, but LaDell hasn't been wrong about too many things like that. It was a great team, that's for sure!
Thank you. Your observations and recollections match mine perfectly.



User avatar
Jjoey53
Posts: 1654
Joined: January 9th, 2018, 4:28 pm
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 145 times

Re: USU Best Roster in Program History?

Post by Jjoey53 » October 18th, 2019, 9:20 pm

72AgGrad wrote:
AggiesForever wrote:
October 18th, 2019, 5:25 pm
This years roster is pretty good, but the 1969-1970 team that went to the Elite 8 was pretty great. Marv Roberts and Nate Williams were all-Americans at forward and they had a very solid center in 6-10 Canadian Tim Tollestrip, with saavy Paul Jeppesen at one guard and Sophmore assist man Jeff Tebbs on the point. All the starters scored in double figures, and they brought long-range shooter Terry Wakefield, solid combo guard Ed Epps, off the bench, along with forwards Ron Hatch and John Erickson and center Chris "String" Bean. Roberts and Williams averaged 22 and 21 points a game and everybody else knew exactly what their roles were. LaDell Andersen has said many times that if Williams doesn't hurt his ankle in the first half, the Aggies beat UCLA (who they led at the half) and win the national championship. I don't know about that, but LaDell hasn't been wrong about too many things like that. It was a great team, that's for sure!
Thank you. Your observations and recollections match mine perfectly.

Was the 69-70 team the one that opened the Spectrum or was it the following year? A guy from my old high school came and joined the Aggies in 1970, however he could not play as a freshman, they changed the rule making frosh eligible the following year.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk



FloridaAggie13
Posts: 7863
Joined: August 22nd, 2011, 2:18 pm
Has thanked: 444 times
Been thanked: 232 times

Re: USU Best Roster in Program History?

Post by FloridaAggie13 » October 21st, 2019, 8:36 pm

aggies22 wrote:
October 18th, 2019, 9:05 am
AGGIEinIOWA wrote:
October 18th, 2019, 7:32 am
If this truly is our best roster in history I will be very disappointed if we lose to BYU-P yet again. I think we’ve had better teams than them in recent years but just can’t mentally get over the hump and win that game. Need to take a page from the football team and reverse the script.
I've said exactly this several times on this board! I'm glad to see someone else feels the same way!
In our defense, BYU is playing for #1 seed in the big dance each year so we should be happy just to share the floor with them. Maybe get some autographs this time around.



Locked Previous topicNext topic