Craig Smith Interview

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggie84025
Posts: 746
Joined: September 12th, 2018, 2:01 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 127 times

Craig Smith Interview

Post by Aggie84025 » August 19th, 2019, 8:15 pm

Craig Smith did an interview with Rothstein today. He is such a great listen he had me ready to saddle up and go play. Granted my 5 foot 9 inch 210 pound body would get blasted. He is such great advocate for the program. He mentioned Queta is doing physical therapy and they will know more in a couple of weeks. He mentioned that Kuba and McChesney had some ankle injuries so they just started practicing a week or 2 ago. Super excited for the season.



nvspuds
Posts: 509
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 6:32 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 54 times

Re: Craig Smith Interview

Post by nvspuds » August 19th, 2019, 9:06 pm

Good interview with your coach.. I like Rothstein's reporting. He does his homework even on the lesser conferences like the MW.

I have no argument with any of his selections including the predicted finish for all the schools.

I agree with him that the MW is way down and if you cats win the conference tourney it will be a one bid league. USU is probably the only school with any out large potential.

Your only competition is likely SDSU. NM just seems way too inconsistent. Nevada is probably ranked a little high at 4th, though nobody anywhere knows what to expect from what is essentially an all new team. I am not ready to jump on board with AFA. Boise and Fresno could move up easily.

I fully expect Queta to play this year and be ready to go from day 1. I will be quite surprised if you finish with less than 30 wins with maybe as many as 21 of the wins coming against the MW foes.

I predict your coach will get a whole lot of cash to jump to a Power 5 school after the season.

So have I envisioned, so shall it be.



User avatar
flying_scotsman2.0
Posts: 816
Joined: January 23rd, 2018, 12:29 pm
Has liked: 270 times
Been liked: 102 times

Re: Craig Smith Interview

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » August 20th, 2019, 8:37 am

Well here's to hoping a few MW teams can step up in the preconference games and elevate the conference to get some at-large bids next year. Saying it's a one bid league before the season even starts is silly.



nvspuds
Posts: 509
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 6:32 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 54 times

Re: Craig Smith Interview

Post by nvspuds » August 20th, 2019, 8:57 am

Rothstein takes that position. Silly it may be but it is certainly possible. However, you could lose in the conference tourney letting another school get in. That would be helpful.



User avatar
Roy McAvoy
Posts: 4820
Joined: November 2nd, 2011, 1:30 pm
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 276 times

Re: Craig Smith Interview

Post by Roy McAvoy » August 20th, 2019, 9:37 am

Here's the link for this must listen interview:

These users liked this post from Roy McAvoy:
aggies22



AggieFBObsession
Posts: 700
Joined: January 25th, 2011, 12:15 pm
Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 62 times

Re: Craig Smith Interview

Post by AggieFBObsession » August 21st, 2019, 6:55 am

I'm still predicting New Mexico to have a hell uva year.



User avatar
TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY
Posts: 5583
Joined: February 3rd, 2012, 10:21 pm
Location: Hyde Park, UT
Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 184 times
Contact:

Re: Craig Smith Interview

Post by TheAKAggie » August 21st, 2019, 7:02 am

AggieFBObsession wrote:I'm still predicting New Mexico to have a hell uva year.
If they have the horse’s to press they are dangerous.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users liked this post from TheAKAggie:
AggieFBObsession


Hail Aggies!

aggies22
2018 Kick-off Pick'em Champion
Posts: 7249
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has liked: 1750 times
Been liked: 929 times
Contact:

Re: Craig Smith Interview

Post by aggies22 » August 21st, 2019, 5:02 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:
August 21st, 2019, 6:55 am
I'm still predicting New Mexico to have a hell uva year.
Are you a Lobo fan posing on the Aggie board? :) :lol:
These users liked this post from aggies22:
AggieFBObsession



User avatar
TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY
Posts: 5583
Joined: February 3rd, 2012, 10:21 pm
Location: Hyde Park, UT
Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 184 times
Contact:

Re: Craig Smith Interview

Post by TheAKAggie » August 21st, 2019, 5:23 pm

Yes. Long con complete.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users liked this post from TheAKAggie:
treesap32


Hail Aggies!

SectionBAggie
Posts: 1132
Joined: November 6th, 2010, 9:04 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 31 times

Re: Craig Smith Interview

Post by SectionBAggie » August 21st, 2019, 5:47 pm

aggies22 wrote:
August 21st, 2019, 5:02 pm
AggieFBObsession wrote:
August 21st, 2019, 6:55 am
I'm still predicting New Mexico to have a hell uva year.
Are you a Lobo fan posing on the Aggie board? :) :lol:
I actually am a secondary Lobo fan , having married a Lobo. But I am not sold on Weir and the press. This would be the program that gave up 91 points and lost by 8 to a team that had 24 turnovers. Pressing for turnovers still requires a half-court defense. Once the press was broken USU pretty much scored at will. 53% from the field with 35 made FTs trumped the 24 TOs.



nvspuds
Posts: 509
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 6:32 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 54 times

Re: Craig Smith Interview

Post by nvspuds » August 21st, 2019, 9:03 pm

NM has a lot of good players and if they can put it all together they will be tough. They are just inconsistent, generally. A team that intrigues me is Boise State . They were not very good last year but they return Jessup and Alston and a have some interesting transfers and guys who red shirted last year. I think Rice is a really good coach. They may be a lot better this season
Last edited by nvspuds on August 22nd, 2019, 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users liked this post from nvspuds. Total Likes: 3
donlarson8Agliciousflying_scotsman2.0



Dkdavis
Posts: 55
Joined: January 28th, 2019, 7:51 pm
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 10 times

Re: Craig Smith Interview

Post by Dkdavis » August 22nd, 2019, 7:33 am

Bosie was a good team last year. They just choked a lot, and had some pretty bad pre season losses if I remember right.



User avatar
hipsterdoofus21
Posts: 15047
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:39 pm
Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 377 times

Re: Craig Smith Interview

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » August 24th, 2019, 9:09 am

nvspuds wrote:
August 21st, 2019, 9:03 pm
NM has a lot of good players and if they can put it all together they will be tough. They are just inconsistent, generally. A team that intrigues me is Boise State . They were not very good last year but they return Jessup and Alston and a have some interesting transfers and guys who red shirted last year. I think Rice is a really good coach. They may be a lot better this season
Boise will continue to crap the bed as long as they have Duryea.



bpd
Posts: 914
Joined: November 4th, 2010, 10:12 pm
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 39 times

Re: Craig Smith Interview

Post by bpd » August 24th, 2019, 9:18 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
August 24th, 2019, 9:09 am
nvspuds wrote:
August 21st, 2019, 9:03 pm
NM has a lot of good players and if they can put it all together they will be tough. They are just inconsistent, generally. A team that intrigues me is Boise State . They were not very good last year but they return Jessup and Alston and a have some interesting transfers and guys who red shirted last year. I think Rice is a really good coach. They may be a lot better this season
Boise will continue to crap the bed as long as they have Duryea.
Some of the best teams in Utah State history had Duryea as an assistant. How quickly we forget. BSU will be very good this year once they get their transfers eligible.



User avatar
hipsterdoofus21
Posts: 15047
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:39 pm
Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 377 times

Re: Craig Smith Interview

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » August 24th, 2019, 12:58 pm

bpd wrote:
August 24th, 2019, 9:18 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
August 24th, 2019, 9:09 am
nvspuds wrote:
August 21st, 2019, 9:03 pm
NM has a lot of good players and if they can put it all together they will be tough. They are just inconsistent, generally. A team that intrigues me is Boise State . They were not very good last year but they return Jessup and Alston and a have some interesting transfers and guys who red shirted last year. I think Rice is a really good coach. They may be a lot better this season
Boise will continue to crap the bed as long as they have Duryea.
Some of the best teams in Utah State history had Duryea as an assistant. How quickly we forget. BSU will be very good this year once they get their transfers eligible.
Pun fail :disappointed:
These users liked this post from hipsterdoofus21. Total Likes: 2
USU78TheAKAggie



User avatar
TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY
Posts: 5583
Joined: February 3rd, 2012, 10:21 pm
Location: Hyde Park, UT
Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 184 times
Contact:

Re: Craig Smith Interview

Post by TheAKAggie » August 24th, 2019, 3:13 pm

MW tourney Duryea’s last year we ran an out of bounds play from our baseline 3 times against CSU and Boise. We had a timeout near the end of the New Mexico game and Weir was drawing up the play to defend on his white board exactly like we had run it the two previous games. It was snuffed out and killed our little runs momentum. Good man, good x&o’s coach, bad adjustments.


Hail Aggies!

User avatar
hipsterdoofus21
Posts: 15047
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:39 pm
Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 377 times

Re: Craig Smith Interview

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » August 24th, 2019, 5:29 pm

Do you think Craig’s ever had a sit down interview where the interviewer only got in one question in the time allotted?



User avatar
TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY
Posts: 5583
Joined: February 3rd, 2012, 10:21 pm
Location: Hyde Park, UT
Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 184 times
Contact:

Re: Craig Smith Interview

Post by TheAKAggie » August 24th, 2019, 6:29 pm

I made a joke when he spoke to the Logan Rotary club comparing his assistants who were with him having to keep him on track to the Air Force assistant coaches whose job it is to hold back their coach on the sideline.


Hail Aggies!

Aggie in Boise
Posts: 174
Joined: February 15th, 2019, 1:58 pm
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 81 times

Re: Craig Smith Interview

Post by Aggie in Boise » August 24th, 2019, 8:53 pm

bpd wrote:
August 24th, 2019, 9:18 am
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
August 24th, 2019, 9:09 am
nvspuds wrote:
August 21st, 2019, 9:03 pm
NM has a lot of good players and if they can put it all together they will be tough. They are just inconsistent, generally. A team that intrigues me is Boise State . They were not very good last year but they return Jessup and Alston and a have some interesting transfers and guys who red shirted last year. I think Rice is a really good coach. They may be a lot better this season
Boise will continue to crap the bed as long as they have Duryea.
Some of the best teams in Utah State history had Duryea as an assistant. How quickly we forget. BSU will be very good this year once they get their transfers eligible.
I saw Alston last week going into a local gym in Meridian. I thought for sure he would be going into hit the weights but he went into work on his game. He is a great player but thin as a rail. He needs to get a lot stronger. Also a couple of months ago I ran into Duryea's wife and son at Complete Nutrition in Meridian. They own/manage the nutrition supplement store. They're super nice and very classy people.



ususports
Posts: 1040
Joined: November 7th, 2011, 4:54 pm
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 97 times

Re: Craig Smith Interview

Post by ususports » August 25th, 2019, 12:37 am

Aggie in Boise wrote:
August 24th, 2019, 8:53 pm
Also a couple of months ago I ran into Duryea's wife and son at Complete Nutrition in Meridian. They own/manage the nutrition supplement store. They're super nice and very classy people.
Do you know if they offer layaway payment plans in their store or have they had too many arguments with their customers about the calendar trying to solidify when the last payment would be due?
These users liked this post from ususports. Total Likes: 2
aggies22NVAggie



Aggie in Boise
Posts: 174
Joined: February 15th, 2019, 1:58 pm
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 81 times

Re: Craig Smith Interview

Post by Aggie in Boise » August 26th, 2019, 12:15 am

:headscratch:
ususports wrote:
August 25th, 2019, 12:37 am
Aggie in Boise wrote:
August 24th, 2019, 8:53 pm
Also a couple of months ago I ran into Duryea's wife and son at Complete Nutrition in Meridian. They own/manage the nutrition supplement store. They're super nice and very classy people.
Do you know if they offer layaway payment plans in their store or have they had too many arguments with their customers about the calendar trying to solidify when the last payment would be due?
:headscratch: :noidea:



ususports
Posts: 1040
Joined: November 7th, 2011, 4:54 pm
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 97 times

Re: Craig Smith Interview

Post by ususports » August 26th, 2019, 8:55 am

Aggie in Boise wrote:
August 26th, 2019, 12:15 am
:headscratch:
ususports wrote:
August 25th, 2019, 12:37 am
Aggie in Boise wrote:
August 24th, 2019, 8:53 pm
Also a couple of months ago I ran into Duryea's wife and son at Complete Nutrition in Meridian. They own/manage the nutrition supplement store. They're super nice and very classy people.
Do you know if they offer layaway payment plans in their store or have they had too many arguments with their customers about the calendar trying to solidify when the last payment would be due?
:headscratch: :noidea:
It was a (failed) joke about the dispute over when Duryea's contract ended with USU, and that carrying over into their business practices.



User avatar
hipsterdoofus21
Posts: 15047
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:39 pm
Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 377 times

Re: Craig Smith Interview

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » August 26th, 2019, 10:43 am

ususports wrote:
August 26th, 2019, 8:55 am
Aggie in Boise wrote:
August 26th, 2019, 12:15 am
:headscratch:
ususports wrote:
August 25th, 2019, 12:37 am
Aggie in Boise wrote:
August 24th, 2019, 8:53 pm
Also a couple of months ago I ran into Duryea's wife and son at Complete Nutrition in Meridian. They own/manage the nutrition supplement store. They're super nice and very classy people.
Do you know if they offer layaway payment plans in their store or have they had too many arguments with their customers about the calendar trying to solidify when the last payment would be due?
:headscratch: :noidea:
It was a (failed) joke about the dispute over when Duryea's contract ended with USU, and that carrying over into their business practices.
Response from Duryea's camp to the joke: "Too soon! Or um....is it too late?"



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic