2019-20Conference Schedule

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
User avatar
Floppy Hat
Pick'em Champ - '15,'19 FB Predict the Score; '17 Kickoff; '18 Weekly; '19 Bowl
Posts: 1317
Joined: January 11th, 2011, 6:42 pm
Location: Utah
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 62 times

2019-20Conference Schedule

Post by Floppy Hat » June 6th, 2019, 1:37 pm

This afternoon, Scotty G tweeted out our conference schedule for the upcoming season:



Apparently those conference games in early December are necessary to accommodate an earlier start to the MWC tournament.

Also, this is a great excuse to celebrate New Years in Las Vegas... :cheers:



Bank Shot
Posts: 430
Joined: January 26th, 2019, 6:27 pm
Has thanked: 74 times
Been thanked: 166 times

Re: 2019-20Conference Schedule

Post by Bank Shot » June 6th, 2019, 1:44 pm

Only 1 game with San Jose St (away) and Nevada (home) this year.



User avatar
Socrates2121
Posts: 1679
Joined: September 29th, 2011, 6:58 pm
Location: Logan, UT
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 8 times
Contact:

Re: 2019-20Conference Schedule

Post by Socrates2121 » June 6th, 2019, 1:45 pm

It always seems like we host a good team when the students are gone. Every year. Looking at SDSU this year.


Bulls On Parade

User avatar
Socrates2121
Posts: 1679
Joined: September 29th, 2011, 6:58 pm
Location: Logan, UT
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 8 times
Contact:

2019-20Conference Schedule

Post by Socrates2121 » June 6th, 2019, 1:45 pm

Bank Shot wrote:Only 1 game with San Jose St (away) and Nevada (home) this year.
NVM
Last edited by Socrates2121 on June 6th, 2019, 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.


Bulls On Parade

User avatar
Floppy Hat
Pick'em Champ - '15,'19 FB Predict the Score; '17 Kickoff; '18 Weekly; '19 Bowl
Posts: 1317
Joined: January 11th, 2011, 6:42 pm
Location: Utah
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 62 times

Re: 2019-20Conference Schedule

Post by Floppy Hat » June 6th, 2019, 1:48 pm

Bank Shot wrote:
June 6th, 2019, 1:44 pm
Only 1 game with San Jose St (away) and Nevada (home) this year.
We do get San Jose State twice...it is New Mexico that isn't making a trip to the Spectrum.

The image in the embedded tweet is getting cut off.

Image



User avatar
Floppy Hat
Pick'em Champ - '15,'19 FB Predict the Score; '17 Kickoff; '18 Weekly; '19 Bowl
Posts: 1317
Joined: January 11th, 2011, 6:42 pm
Location: Utah
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 62 times

Re: 2019-20Conference Schedule

Post by Floppy Hat » June 6th, 2019, 1:51 pm

Coincidentally, playing Nevada and New Mexico twice would have been a boost to our SOS. But there never seems to be any logic for which teams we only play once.



Bank Shot
Posts: 430
Joined: January 26th, 2019, 6:27 pm
Has thanked: 74 times
Been thanked: 166 times

Re: 2019-20Conference Schedule

Post by Bank Shot » June 6th, 2019, 1:53 pm

Thanks for catching that. Was hoping we only had the 1 game with SJSU. Our SOS just went down.



User avatar
ChicAggie
Posts: 2816
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 1:18 pm
Location: Chicago
Has thanked: 357 times
Been thanked: 380 times

Re: 2019-20Conference Schedule

Post by ChicAggie » June 6th, 2019, 2:08 pm

I assume "BYE" refers to "Brigham Young - Ephraim," correct?


"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

User avatar
OKAggie
Posts: 2429
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:32 am
Location: Tulsa, OK
Has thanked: 83 times
Been thanked: 222 times

Re: 2019-20Conference Schedule

Post by OKAggie » June 6th, 2019, 2:26 pm

Possible bang-bang on December 7: MWC championship game (in Maverik? v. Fresno?...how sweet would that be?) in the afternoon, MBB v. Fresno in the evening.

I might need to book that trip on spec.
These users thanked the author OKAggie for the post (total 2):
ChicAggiesneed


Nobody here knows anything.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly
Posts: 9691
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:17 pm
Location: Smithfield, Utah
Has thanked: 4975 times
Been thanked: 2965 times
Contact:

Re: 2019-20Conference Schedule

Post by aggies22 » June 6th, 2019, 2:29 pm

Bank Shot wrote:
June 6th, 2019, 1:53 pm
Thanks for catching that. Was hoping we only had the 1 game with SJSU. Our SOS just went down.
Anything to keep a good Utah State team down.



SLB
Posts: 3425
Joined: November 3rd, 2016, 8:47 pm
Has thanked: 193 times
Been thanked: 349 times

Re: 2019-20Conference Schedule

Post by SLB » June 6th, 2019, 2:38 pm

Bank Shot wrote:
June 6th, 2019, 1:44 pm
Only 1 game with San Jose St (away) and Nevada (home) this year.
We play San Jose State twice (you had to click on it to see the last games on the schedule).
The two single game in-conference teams this year are Nevada (home) and New Mexico (Road).
The odd things so far about the schedule 2 early Dec games, and the last game is the first game facing New Mexico.
We have BYU, Jamaica Classic (North Texas is back), rumored (some school in Arizona), Montana State (rumored), probably Weber State, (is there any pre-Jamaica Classic games with the Jamaica Classic, and is there any rumored teams that could be on the schedule.



User avatar
ProvoAggie
Site Admin
Posts: 12717
Joined: June 14th, 2010, 1:00 am
Location: Provo, Utah
Has thanked: 588 times
Been thanked: 698 times
Contact:

Re: 2019-20Conference Schedule

Post by ProvoAggie » June 6th, 2019, 2:49 pm

SLB wrote:
June 6th, 2019, 2:38 pm
Bank Shot wrote:
June 6th, 2019, 1:44 pm
Only 1 game with San Jose St (away) and Nevada (home) this year.
We play San Jose State twice (you had to click on it to see the last games on the schedule).
The two single game in-conference teams this year are Nevada (home) and New Mexico (Road).
The odd things so far about the schedule 2 early Dec games, and the last game is the first game facing New Mexico.
We have BYU, Jamaica Classic (North Texas is back), rumored (some school in Arizona), Montana State (rumored), probably Weber State, (is there any pre-Jamaica Classic games with the Jamaica Classic, and is there any rumored teams that could be on the schedule.
The Jamaica Classic will feature 2 on Campus games. All 8 teams are now known but it is unknown who the lower and upper tier teams are to try and guess who we'll play.



SLB
Posts: 3425
Joined: November 3rd, 2016, 8:47 pm
Has thanked: 193 times
Been thanked: 349 times

Re: 2019-20Conference Schedule

Post by SLB » June 6th, 2019, 3:02 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
June 6th, 2019, 2:49 pm
SLB wrote:
June 6th, 2019, 2:38 pm
Bank Shot wrote:
June 6th, 2019, 1:44 pm
Only 1 game with San Jose St (away) and Nevada (home) this year.
We play San Jose State twice (you had to click on it to see the last games on the schedule).
The two single game in-conference teams this year are Nevada (home) and New Mexico (Road).
The odd things so far about the schedule 2 early Dec games, and the last game is the first game facing New Mexico.
We have BYU, Jamaica Classic (North Texas is back), rumored (some school in Arizona), Montana State (rumored), probably Weber State, (is there any pre-Jamaica Classic games with the Jamaica Classic, and is there any rumored teams that could be on the schedule.
The Jamaica Classic will feature 2 on Campus games. All 8 teams are now known but it is unknown who the lower and upper tier teams are to try and guess who we'll play.
Looks like this is the projected Non-conference schedule so far
Montana State (rumored)
Two of the 4 (NC AT&T, Samford, UMBC, and Nicholls State)
Jamaica Classic - Rhode Island/North Texas/LSU then last round Rhode Island/North Texas/LSU
BYU (in Salt Lake)
Some school in Arizona (rumored)
7 games above
We have 6-8 more games that we don't know at all who we are facing.



User avatar
Aglicious
Site Admin
Posts: 5318
Joined: January 14th, 2004, 12:00 am
Location: Vega$
Has thanked: 199 times
Been thanked: 451 times

Re: 2019-20Conference Schedule

Post by Aglicious » June 6th, 2019, 4:33 pm

Who can say New Years Eve road trip to Vegas?!! :rock:







oh wait....



GameFAQSAggie
Posts: 5512
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:10 am
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 228 times

Re: 2019-20Conference Schedule

Post by GameFAQSAggie » June 6th, 2019, 6:12 pm

Some people suspect that getting best matchups is how they determine who misses you, but that theory doesn't make any sense as the 1 vs 2 from last year is missed. It's also funny that we miss San Jose State when we suck and need every chance for a win we can get, then when we were good and want a strong schedule, we miss Nevada of all teams. And also strange that there could be hype around Duryea returning to the Spectrum last year, but then Boise is who we miss.

It's a mystery how it is determined who misses who. Maybe they have in past years based in on matchups, but then they had to base it this year on process of elimination, thus why we miss Nevada and New Mexico next year, the only two left we hadn't missed.



NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.
Posts: 16844
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:09 am
Location: Where the sagebrush grows!
Has thanked: 827 times
Been thanked: 753 times

Re: 2019-20Conference Schedule

Post by NVAggie » June 7th, 2019, 7:32 am

Two words...Complex Algorithms.



nvspuds
Posts: 824
Joined: November 17th, 2010, 6:32 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 261 times

Re: 2019-20Conference Schedule

Post by nvspuds » June 7th, 2019, 7:34 am

I really don't know why they don't just play a 20 games schedule. Everybody should play everybody home and home.
These users thanked the author nvspuds for the post (total 4):
sneedChicAggiedonlarson8NavyBlue



nswaggie
Posts: 434
Joined: April 4th, 2012, 5:36 pm
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 23 times

Re: 2019-20Conference Schedule

Post by nswaggie » June 7th, 2019, 7:48 am

nvspuds wrote:
June 7th, 2019, 7:34 am
I really don't know why they don't just play a 20 games schedule. Everybody should play everybody home and home.
Agreed



User avatar
BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score
Posts: 8101
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 7:57 am
Location: Syracuse, UT
Has thanked: 78 times
Been thanked: 301 times

Re: 2019-20Conference Schedule

Post by BigBlueDart » June 7th, 2019, 11:37 am

Here are the teams that we only played once each season since joining the MWC:

'13-'14 - Air Force, Fresno St
'14-'15 - SDSU, Colorado St
'15-'16 - UNLV, Wyoming
'16-'17 - Fresno St, SJSU
'17-'18 - SDSU, Colorado St
'18-'19 - UNLV, Boise St
'19-'20 - Nevada, New Mexico

I had it in my head that the schedule was supposed to ensure that over a five year span you ended up playing each team in the conference the same number of times, but during those first five years we always played Boise St, New Mexico, and Nevada twice each year. That's already changing with the past two years, though. In short, I have no idea what the formula is.



User avatar
treesap32
Moderator
Posts: 14969
Joined: July 28th, 2005, 1:00 am
Location: Washington D.C.
Has thanked: 276 times
Been thanked: 545 times
Contact:

Re: 2019-20Conference Schedule

Post by treesap32 » June 7th, 2019, 1:40 pm

They have said in the past that they tried to give the best teams in the conference the highest chance to get a good RPI rating. In other words, the teams who were expected to be the best in the conference would only face the teams who were expected to be worst once per year.

That obviously was not the case with our draw this year. Playing SJSU and Air Force twice each will really hurt our SOS and NET. Too bad.



SLB
Posts: 3425
Joined: November 3rd, 2016, 8:47 pm
Has thanked: 193 times
Been thanked: 349 times

Re: 2019-20Conference Schedule

Post by SLB » June 7th, 2019, 2:54 pm

treesap32 wrote:
June 7th, 2019, 1:40 pm
They have said in the past that they tried to give the best teams in the conference the highest chance to get a good RPI rating. In other words, the teams who were expected to be the best in the conference would only face the teams who were expected to be worst once per year.

That obviously was not the case with our draw this year. Playing SJSU and Air Force twice each will really hurt our SOS and NET. Too bad.
Hope to get P6 teams on the schedule outside of the Jamaica Classic.
(RI is in Big East.)



Blitz79
Posts: 1310
Joined: January 16th, 2011, 8:11 am
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 87 times

Re: 2019-20Conference Schedule

Post by Blitz79 » June 7th, 2019, 4:32 pm

Last I checked RI was in the A10. Are they changing conferences?



SectionBAggie
Posts: 1205
Joined: November 6th, 2010, 9:04 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 73 times

Re: 2019-20Conference Schedule

Post by SectionBAggie » June 7th, 2019, 5:21 pm

Any idea if Fresno had any mid-year transfers? They will not be eligible for the 12/7 game in Logan. USU should be at full strength.

I don't think asking about SJSU matters.



SLB
Posts: 3425
Joined: November 3rd, 2016, 8:47 pm
Has thanked: 193 times
Been thanked: 349 times

Re: 2019-20Conference Schedule

Post by SLB » June 7th, 2019, 5:35 pm

Blitz79 wrote:
June 7th, 2019, 4:32 pm
Last I checked RI was in the A10. Are they changing conferences?
My bad



Locked Previous topicNext topic