In light of the discussion about who counts as Aggie Legends

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.

Once an Aggie always an Aggie when it comes to guys who transfer out?

Poll ended at June 14th, 2019, 12:42 am

Yes of course,
30%
No, they’re dead to me
70%

Total votes: 27

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

In light of the discussion about who counts as Aggie Legends

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » June 7th, 2019, 12:42 am

Where do you stand?

LKGates

Re: In light of the discussion about who counts as Aggie Legends

Post by LKGates » June 7th, 2019, 1:24 am

It's more complicated than that. Is a guy who worked his tail off, but just didn't have what it takes, and was counseled out, the same as a guy whose scholarship was held for him for two years, who probably violated NCAA rules, and left with no notice days before the start of the season, to go play for a bitter rival?

The first guy is an Aggie forever, and I wish him the best.

I hope the second guy gets leprosy.
These users thanked the author LKGates for the post (total 11):
Aggie in BoiseNVAggieUSU78Imakeitrainaggies22jpswensenflying_scotsman2.0StanfordAggieReal Life AggieTrueBlueFan and one more user

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » June 7th, 2019, 6:24 am

Add an option for "Meh..."
These users thanked the author BigBlueDart for the post:
NVAggie

AgSpaceCase

Post by AgSpaceCase » June 7th, 2019, 6:58 am

Either way it’s a very interesting story to hear. We have heard a few stories about the Aggie greats. The superstars. Would love to get a POV from the end of the bench. The guy who works hard for years just to get a few minutes and accepted counseling out for the good of everyone.

I also wanna hear about the guy who saw the issues and problems and chose to leave at any cost. We saw the coaching issues over the next few years but what was it that he immediately saw as a critical problem and could work with.

Both interesting point of view.... however I will listen to the second one angry looking for more reasons to hate the guy.

"Due to budget cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off...."

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » June 7th, 2019, 7:08 am

If this were the 538 podcast, they would be discussing about how this is a bad use of polling.
These users thanked the author aggiesdotcom for the post (total 2):
elcheque2LarryTheAggie

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » June 7th, 2019, 7:24 am

I believe the use of the word "Legend" means one has completed their eligibility with Utah State and made a significant impact. I can't really say that Danny Berger or David Collette are "legends" of USU. I don't really think that is the goal of the podcast either. It is a catchy name that will garner some listenership.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
JSHarvey

USUMAE

Post by USUMAE » June 7th, 2019, 7:49 am

NVAggie wrote:
June 7th, 2019, 7:24 am
I believe the use of the word "Legend" means one has completed their eligibility with Utah State and made a significant impact. I can't really say that Danny Berger or David Collette are "legends" of USU. I don't really think that is the goal of the podcast either. It is a catchy name that will garner some listenership.
I'm inclined to agree, especially with the bolded part.
I can think of a few possible exceptions:

1. Someone who was on track to truly be one of the all-time greats but got into an accident..

I hope this doesn't happen, but if we had a player who died in a tragic car accident before his senior year and was on pace for setting an NCAA record, he'd be an Aggie Legend in my book even if he didn't use all his eligibility.

2. Someone who leaves early because they got drafted into the NBA.

Suppose next year we repeat as MWC champions and by some miracle make it to the final four. Let's also assume Sam and Queta were key in that.

Sam would obviously be leaving as his eligibility would be up. He'd be a shoo-in to qualify as an "Aggie Legend" in my book.

What if Queta entered the draft and went the first round? Should he be remembered as dead to us? I don't think so. I'd probably consider him an Aggie Legend, although he'd certainly have the question of "what if he stayed" lingering over him.

3. I'd also consider someone an Aggie Legend if they didn't use all of their eligibility but graduated and their decision not to stay for grad school was driven by academics and not athletics.
These users thanked the author USUMAE for the post (total 2):
aggies22NVAggie

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » June 7th, 2019, 8:07 am

Jaxon Meyer/ Marcel Davis: Once an Aggie Always an Aggie

Berger/ Stone/ Collette/ Thoseby/ Kyle Davis: Dead to me
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post (total 5):
aggies22NVAggiesneedLKGatesStanfordAggie

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » June 7th, 2019, 8:23 am

Seems a bit harsh to consider a person that left because he was right about playing for a coach that had no business being named head coach dead to me.

None of those players named is hall of fame material. If they graduated from USU they are of course a aggie.

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue » June 7th, 2019, 9:03 am

Honestly, Aggies legends is just the name of the podcast. I'm not going to get my panties in bunch over it. They say that "every Aggie is a legend so what's your story?" The players they have interview did play for USU so it falls into that category. It just be the offseason for this in depth conversation. *Insert eye roll*

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » June 7th, 2019, 10:38 am

bigblue wrote:
June 7th, 2019, 9:03 am
Honestly, Aggies legends is just the name of the podcast. I'm not going to get my panties in bunch over it. They say that "every Aggie is a legend so what's your story?" The players they have interview did play for USU so it falls into that category. It just be the offseason for this in depth conversation. *Insert eye roll*

The Legends side of this argument is being discussed in the other thread. As I pointed out it was that discussion that got me wondering where people stand on the "Once and Aggie, Always an Aggie" argument. By that logic Riley Nelson, James Dye, Ruffner, Kyle Davis, and Collette are always Aggies, and that's not something I agree with. But as was stated by LKGates, there are some exceptions by those who were counseled out like Jaxon Myaer for example. I tried to phrase the poll question as those who "transfer out" not those who are counseled out.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post:
bigblue

trombone_ninja

Post by trombone_ninja » June 7th, 2019, 10:44 am

Depends entirely on the circumstances of the transfer. I think the guys like Collette who bail on their fellow Aggies at the last second forfeit their “Always an Aggie” designation. I don’t think this is the case with very many people who transfer out, it’s more the exception than the rule.

Will respond whenever you ask what the band is doing
Go Aggies!!!

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » June 7th, 2019, 11:05 am

trombone_ninja wrote:
June 7th, 2019, 10:44 am
Depends entirely on the circumstances of the transfer. I think the guys like Collette who bail on their fellow Aggies at the last second forfeit their “Always an Aggie” designation. I don’t think this is the case with very many people who transfer out, it’s more the exception than the rule.
Who transferred out that you would consider? (again, I'm not counting counseled outs as transfer outs)

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » June 7th, 2019, 11:08 am

oleblu111 wrote:
June 7th, 2019, 8:23 am
Seems a bit harsh to consider a person that left because he was right about playing for a coach that had no business being named head coach dead to me.

None of those players named is hall of fame material. If they graduated from USU they are of course a aggie.
Are you saying I'm being harsh? Those I am against either behaved poorly after they left, encouraged others to leave, left in an inappropriate manner, etc.

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue » June 7th, 2019, 11:25 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
bigblue wrote:
June 7th, 2019, 9:03 am

The Legends side of this argument is being discussed in the other thread. As I pointed out it was that discussion that got me wondering where people stand on the "Once and Aggie, Always an Aggie" argument. By that logic Riley Nelson, James Dye, Ruffner, Kyle Davis, and Collette are always Aggies, and that's not something I agree with. But as was stated by LKGates, there are some exceptions by those who were counseled out like Jaxon Myaer for example. I tried to phrase the poll question as those who "transfer out" not those who are counseled out.
I stand corrected

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » June 7th, 2019, 12:02 pm

oleblu111 wrote:

I didn't jump ship and start cheering for Utah when Brent Guy averaged two wins per season. Would you call me an "Aggie fan" if I only watched USU sports, bought USU tickets and gear, and showed up on USUFans.com when USU has good prospects of winning? I would hope you answer would be that frontrunner fans are not real Aggie fans.

In a similar light, Collette and the other Benedict Arnolds listed in this thread are not Aggies, not legends, and certainly not Aggie legends. You might say their defection is understandable, but I don't think it is acceptable, especially in the cases of people like Berger and Collette who did it is such an unpalatable manner.
These users thanked the author jpswensen for the post (total 2):
USU78oleblu111

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

LKGates

Post by LKGates » June 7th, 2019, 4:50 pm

jpswensen wrote:
June 7th, 2019, 12:02 pm
oleblu111 wrote:

I didn't jump ship and start cheering for Utah when Brent Guy averaged two wins per season. Would you call me an "Aggie fan" if I only watched USU sports, bought USU tickets and gear, and showed up on USUFans.com when USU has good prospects of winning? I would hope you answer would be that frontrunner fans are not real Aggie fans.

In a similar light, Collette and the other Benedict Arnolds listed in this thread are not Aggies, not legends, and certainly not Aggie legends. You might say their defection is understandable, but I don't think it is acceptable, especially in the cases of people like Berger and Collette who did it is such an unpalatable manner.
Collette's a legend, just not in a good way.
These users thanked the author LKGates for the post:
sneed

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

Locked Previous topicNext topic