Projecting Next Season's Depth Chart

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggie in Boise

Re: Projecting Next Season's Depth Chart

Post by Aggie in Boise » May 15th, 2019, 3:03 pm

If Smith hadn't brought in Fakira, JK3, and TK perhaps we would have gone 36-2 rather than 28-7? :headscratch:

I completely trust that Smith will make the right decision and do what's best for the team in regards to the last scholarship. I'm not worried.
Last edited by Aggie in Boise on May 15th, 2019, 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"We've upped our standards, so UP YOURS." Unknown

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » May 15th, 2019, 3:11 pm

2004AG wrote:
May 15th, 2019, 2:46 pm
ChicAggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:
May 15th, 2019, 1:59 pm
brownjeans wrote:
2004AG wrote:
May 15th, 2019, 5:59 am
As long as Smith isn't an idiot, its not a risk at all Just bring in the right guy.
Awesome. Then we're in agreement that the only people out there introduce too much risk and likely won't improve our team. Because Smith isn't an idiot and he's not brought anyone in - and if/when he does bring someone in, it will be the right guy.
No. We’re not. According to aggies22, Smith isn’t even looking.

And you guys act like it’s all or nothing like it’s a forgone conclusion that anybody brought it will screw up the team. That’s ridiculous.

I love Smith but he’s not perfect, he brought in Fakira, JK3, and TK. I believe he will get things right more often than he gets them wrong, but he’s fallible and it’s entirely possible he could screw this one up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Come on now, I thought you and I were on the same team !!! We gotta stick together.

I guess I should have posted this as well: ;)

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » May 15th, 2019, 3:13 pm

2004AG wrote:

And you guys act like it’s all or nothing like it’s a forgone conclusion that anybody brought it will screw up the team. That’s ridiculous.

I love Smith but he’s not perfect, he brought in Fakira, JK3, and TK. I believe he will get things right more often than he gets them wrong, but he’s fallible and it’s entirely possible he could screw this one up.
I was certainly skeptical of the staff's ability to recruit. Outside of Queta, last year's class was a washout. That left me wondering if Queta was more the exception than the rule.
Looking at this year's class, Bairstow and Karwowski seem shockingly good. The addition of those two players have my mind swimming a bit. If Queta returns, I will have pretty high expectations for this team - with or without an upgrade at PG.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » May 15th, 2019, 3:24 pm

brownjeans wrote:
May 15th, 2019, 3:13 pm
2004AG wrote:

I was certainly skeptical of the staff's ability to recruit. Outside of Queta, last year's class was a washout. That left me wondering if Queta was more the exception than the rule.
Looking at this year's class, Bairstow and Karwowski seem shockingly good. The addition of those two players have my mind swimming a bit. If Queta returns, I will have pretty high expectations for this team - with or without an upgrade at PG.
Don’t sleep on McChesney. That kid has a chance to be very good too...

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » May 15th, 2019, 3:30 pm

Aggie in Boise wrote:
May 15th, 2019, 3:03 pm
If Smith hadn't brought in Fakira, JK3, and TK perhaps we would have gone 36-2 rather than 28-7? :headscratch:

I completely trust that Smith will make the right decision and do what's best for the team in regards to the last scholarship. I'm not worried.

That's not even close to the point I was making, and if thats what you got out of it, then I don't know what to tell you. :noidea:

I.M.Noone
Has thanked: 0

Post by I.M.Noone » May 15th, 2019, 7:27 pm

This is really Smith's 1st recruiting class that he should be judged on. So far he gets an A and he still has one to go. If Karwowski turns into a good D1 C, then Smith gets an A+, if there is such a thing

Warning! Don't read this post. It's garbage.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » May 15th, 2019, 9:05 pm

2004AG wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
2004AG wrote:
As long as Smith isn't an idiot, its not a risk at all Just bring in the right guy.
Awesome. Then we're in agreement that the only people out there introduce too much risk and likely won't improve our team. Because Smith isn't an idiot and he's not brought anyone in - and if/when he does bring someone in, it will be the right guy.

According to me Smith isn't even looking for what?

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » May 15th, 2019, 9:44 pm

aggies22 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
2004AG wrote:

A PG to come in and play next year. As per what you said in the 26th post on this thread.

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » May 15th, 2019, 10:10 pm

I interpreted what he said was that the guys they are looking at would have to sit out a year. I am sure if the right guy came around for this year they would be looking at him. I think it's really kinda weird that some of the posters have taken the position that Smith has made up his mind that if the next coming of King PG was available, that he wouldn't be interested. The MWC coach of the year in just a few months has become a misguided dunce???

Why is it people can't get through their heads that that guy hasn't been found, as far as talent and FIT! I'm sure they'v looked under every rock and either that guy hasn't been found or has not shown interest in USU. Maybe he prefers Kentucky, Duke or some other institution.
These users thanked the author Bank Shot for the post (total 2):
aggies22NavyBlueAggie

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » May 16th, 2019, 7:29 am

2004AG wrote:
May 15th, 2019, 9:44 pm
aggies22 wrote:
2004AG wrote:
brownjeans wrote:
2004AG wrote:

A PG to come in and play next year. As per what you said in the 26th post on this thread.

Every guard they are currently looking at is either a freshman or a sophomore who would have to sit out a year as a transfer. They are looking for someone they can develop into a leader that can guide this team for more than just a one and done season. Although Abel will only be a junior in 2019-20 he has already graduated once from USU. This is purely speculation BUT he may not want to stick around for his senior year of eligibility in 2020-21.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
oleblu111AggieFBObsession

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » May 16th, 2019, 8:14 am

Does Matt Mooney have any remaining eligibility?

t_creer54

Post by t_creer54 » May 16th, 2019, 10:01 am

ChicAggie wrote:
May 16th, 2019, 8:14 am
No. He was a one and done grad transfer at Texas Tech.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » May 16th, 2019, 4:46 pm

Until I see our "best recruiting class" perform against MWC level competition I am not ready to crown them anything other than a collection foreign projects that haven't played against the best competition to this point.

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » May 16th, 2019, 4:57 pm

Like Queta?

People aren't overstating how talented McChesney and Bairstow are. Both are very likely going to be impact players all 4 years
These users thanked the author MetsJetsAggies for the post:
donlarson8

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » May 16th, 2019, 5:26 pm

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
May 16th, 2019, 4:57 pm
Like Queta?

People aren't overstating how talented McChesney and Bairstow are. Both are very likely going to be impact players all 4 years
Yep, exactly like Queta. I hope they pan out and become big contributors.

I don't expect either one to have anywhere near the impact that Queta did as a true freshman so anything they can contribute this first year is great. I just hope they don't end up like Fakira or the Knights because this class and the next are going to define how good this staff really is without Sam or Queta on the court (assuming he is gone by at least the end of next year).

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » May 16th, 2019, 7:01 pm

t_creer54 wrote:
ChicAggie wrote:
I was kidding.

These users thanked the author ChicAggie for the post:
aggies22

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » May 16th, 2019, 9:07 pm

Aglicious wrote:
May 16th, 2019, 4:46 pm
Until I see our "best recruiting class" perform against MWC level competition I am not ready to crown them anything other than a collection foreign projects that haven't played against the best competition to this point.
These users thanked the author hipsterdoofus21 for the post (total 4):
Agliciousaggies22PacobagBank Shot

t_creer54

Post by t_creer54 » May 18th, 2019, 12:40 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
May 16th, 2019, 7:01 pm
t_creer54 wrote:
ChicAggie wrote:
I was kidding.

Ask a stupid question get a stupid answer.

"Life's short, stunt it!" - Rod Kimble

Go Aggies!

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » May 20th, 2019, 1:48 pm

Add a distributing point guard that can play next season and call it a day. That's my opinion, anyway. ;)

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » June 2nd, 2019, 12:53 pm

If, as reported, the staff is looking for a future P G they had better get rocking. Certainly the college basketball player inventory routinely changes, but hoping for a good athletic and locker room fit and not moving toward a real solution isn't solving any problems. Waiting another season before recruiting a player than can be sorted out and molded into the system doesn't seem to be a functional solution, even with two all MWC conference players already on the team.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » June 2nd, 2019, 1:01 pm

NavyBlueAggie wrote:
June 2nd, 2019, 12:53 pm
If, as reported, the staff is looking for a future P G they had better get rocking. Certainly the college basketball player inventory routinely changes, but hoping for a good athletic and locker room fit and not moving toward a real solution isn't solving any problems. Waiting another season before recruiting a player than can be sorted out and molded into the system doesn't seem to be a functional solution, even with two all MWC conference players already on the team.
IF the coaching staff were to bring in one of the players they have recently made contact with you all would be pleased.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 3):
bigblueChicAggiesneed

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » June 2nd, 2019, 1:32 pm

aggies22 wrote:
NavyBlueAggie wrote:
IF the coaching staff were to bring in one of the players they have recently made contact with you all would be pleased.
No they wouldn’t.

These users thanked the author JonnyCienPesos for the post:
TrueBlue

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » June 2nd, 2019, 1:44 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
June 2nd, 2019, 1:32 pm
aggies22 wrote:
NavyBlueAggie wrote:
No they wouldn’t.
Maybe not "all," but I for one would be pleased. Heck, I'm pleased already. Fingers crossed . . . .
These users thanked the author ChicAggie for the post:
oleblu111

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » June 2nd, 2019, 5:42 pm

aggies22 wrote:
June 2nd, 2019, 1:01 pm
NavyBlueAggie wrote:
Need some deets please.

GeorgiaAggie

Post by GeorgiaAggie » June 2nd, 2019, 5:51 pm

aggies22 wrote:
NavyBlueAggie wrote:
For this season or next?

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » June 2nd, 2019, 5:53 pm

GeorgiaAggie wrote:
June 2nd, 2019, 5:51 pm
aggies22 wrote:
NavyBlueAggie wrote:
For this season or next?
It would be a player that would fill the final open scholarship.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » June 2nd, 2019, 5:56 pm

treesap32 wrote:
June 2nd, 2019, 5:42 pm
aggies22 wrote:
NavyBlueAggie wrote:
Need some deets please.
I've been asked not to give names but two high 3* PGs and a 3* PF.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
usufan1

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » June 3rd, 2019, 8:52 am

Any high caliber HS recruit is not going to want to redshirt. Seems like those days are over. The good players don’t want to sit out and develop. They want to play. If forced to redshirt they tend to transfer. I wish it wasn’t that way but the exceptions are few and far between in this age of entitlement.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » June 3rd, 2019, 10:53 am

They want to play so that they have a redshirt when they transfer up.

nswaggie

Post by nswaggie » June 3rd, 2019, 10:56 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
June 3rd, 2019, 8:52 am
Any high caliber HS recruit is not going to want to redshirt. Seems like those days are over. The good players don’t want to sit out and develop. They want to play. If forced to redshirt they tend to transfer. I wish it wasn’t that way but the exceptions are few and far between in this age of entitlement.
Yes, that keeps their redshirt year available for when they eventually transfer due to lack of playing time cause they weren’t ready yet. :bangwall:

blueblood

Post by blueblood » June 3rd, 2019, 10:57 am

aggies22 wrote:
treesap32 wrote:
June 2nd, 2019, 5:42 pm
aggies22 wrote:
NavyBlueAggie wrote:
Need some deets please.
I've been asked not to give names but two high 3* PGs and a 3* PF.
Are they HS kids, JC, grad transfers, or regular transfers????

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » June 3rd, 2019, 11:14 am

Is the Lone Peak kid (Ashworth) still coming to USU after his mission?

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » June 3rd, 2019, 12:08 pm

newhouse9 wrote:
June 3rd, 2019, 11:14 am
Is the Lone Peak kid (Ashworth) still coming to USU after his mission?
That is the plan. He will arrive for the 2020-21 season.

nswaggie

Post by nswaggie » June 11th, 2019, 12:07 pm

@aggie22

Any idea when we will get news on the last scholarship being filled. Seems like all the dominos would have fallen by now. Will they possibly just go with 12 scholarship players?

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » June 11th, 2019, 3:06 pm

nswaggie wrote:
June 11th, 2019, 12:07 pm
@aggie22

Any idea when we will get news on the last scholarship being filled. Seems like all the dominos would have fallen by now. Will they possibly just go with 12 scholarship players?
That has been discussed as a possibility but I would still expect the staff to fill the final spot prior to the season starting. As you all can tell, the coaching staff is being very slow and deliberate about whom they choose to use the final scholarship.

Locked Previous topicNext topic