MWC Champions!

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Blue Sage

Re: MWC Champions!

Post by Blue Sage » March 6th, 2019, 12:01 am

Cheecho6 wrote:
March 5th, 2019, 11:41 pm
Anyone have the full videos of the postgame tv interviews?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I second this! And What an AMAZING RUN! Unbelievable really to go from #9 to #1 right though Nevada and Nevadas circus after stay focused despite all the press and come back to push it to OT and pull it off on the road. They did this as a TEAM! What an amazing group of men! So proud to be part of U-State Nation tonight! GO AGGIES!!!! :thanks: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :scotsman: :scotsman: :scotsman: :scotsman: What an amazing year in Utah State Sports! :utah: :state: :cheers:
These users thanked the author Blue Sage for the post:
Aggie_in_Idaho

swordsman1989
Has thanked: 0

Post by swordsman1989 » March 6th, 2019, 12:57 am

So...was Craig Smith a good hire or not? LOL

Rabidchild

Post by Rabidchild » March 6th, 2019, 2:28 am

Craig Smith is the man. Remember when Shaka Smart and Brad Stevens were leading VCU and Butler from obscurity to greatness on a national stage... I think we have a guy who is more than capable of that level of success and turning USU into whatever our ceiling is, basketball-wise. He's not the type who will be glad to make the tourney. He is a driven, relentless competitor and a winner. And he's great with player development and getting the most out of his guys. What we need now more than anything is the MWC to take this window of opportunity to get back collectively. If SDSU, New Mexico, and UNLV get their programs back where they've been in the past... nationally ranked hoops programs all at one time. And even if Fresno and Boise and CSU have been ranked and gotten at-large bids. We have the potential to be very strong conference. Why not get back to the days where the MW got 5 at-large bids (or at least the possibility, with 3-4 consistently, in the field as it has in the past, why not). We only need the worst teams to not completely suck.

I just hope he Smith is as happy in Logan as he seems to be, and sees the potential of what he could build and sustain in Logan. We are a hoops-crazy down and community. And then hopefully USU can hold on to him. Maybe if Coach A is willing to stay long term for less than we'd have to pay if we were competing with Power 5 coach salaries or even high-spending MW teams, and still keep a good coach that is having success, then maybe we can put more coaching resources toward keeping Smith and paying him what he's going to be worth to USU. I've met this guy, from Day 1 he said he was going to bring back the Spectrum magic, and I'll be damned if he didn't go right out and accomplish what seemed to be the impossible for us Aggie fans who were getting used to mediocrity under Duryea, and he did it in one year! And we are not done here, and we are coming back loaded next year.... It's fun to be a USU basketball fan again. We could be reaching Peak Aggie! Exciting times.
These users thanked the author Rabidchild for the post (total 2):
MetsJetsAggiesAggie_in_Idaho

I'm a reasonable man, get off my case.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 6th, 2019, 2:35 am

To be fair, the mediocrity started before Duryea. We have had 7 years of mediocrity before this one.

But yes, absolutely incredible that Smith has this team at 25-6 and regular season champs in year one. Stew was a great coach, but I have a feeling Smith will win more NCAA tournament games before he leaves Logan.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
MetsJetsAggies

donlarson8

Post by donlarson8 » March 6th, 2019, 6:16 am

The thing I love about this team is that they just find a way to win. They’ve won in so many different ways. Just a fun team to watch and an easy team to root for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl

Post by sam tingey » March 6th, 2019, 6:20 am

What I love about this team is that I every time I doubted them this season, they proved me wrong. I was in such a mess at 40 sec left in regulation we were down 2 points, I had to turn it all off and walk away because i couldn't handle the pain of listening to us lose the championship. I come back and we are up 7 in OT and learn thaT ONCE AGAIN Sam saved us. I will never doubt again, but this game aged me some.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » March 6th, 2019, 6:53 am

I have a solution. Just watch it after you know the outcome. I only listened to the last two seconds of last nights game due to work. I knew we had won before watching the game...problem solved. It has worked for the last several games. For the Nevada game, I was looking at a fellow Aggies phone for the last few seconds after the Sky View State Championship. For the SDSU game, I was on a cruise and found out we had won the next day. Watched it when I got home. For the BSU game, I followed it on my phone before setting off to sea. I thought we had lost the game. Much to my surprise, we won.

Just watch after you know the outcome.
These users thanked the author NVAggie for the post:
sam tingey

sam tingey
Pick'em Champ - '13, '16 FB Predict the Score; '17, '18 Bowl

Post by sam tingey » March 6th, 2019, 6:58 am

I like your style NVAggie. Wish i could go on a cruise. I am really trying to figure a way to go to the tourney next week though. It is going to be awesome.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » March 6th, 2019, 7:02 am

Seriously, the only moments I followed the Boise game were all bad. I'm glad I stopped following because I feel like my self-restraint had more to do with the win than Merrill. The sea was telling me to relax, he was going to take care of the Aggies during my leisure. Thank you Poseidon...or Aquaman.

Locked Previous topicNext topic