Anthony Mathis

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
ThunderAggie

Anthony Mathis

Post by ThunderAggie » June 3rd, 2019, 11:11 am

WOW! Lobos lose a star player. I thought they would be a legit contender in the MW, but this is a huge blow for them. He was on track for a breakout season and one of the top guards in the conference. I guess this helps our MW chances!
These users thanked the author ThunderAggie for the post:
aggies22

Aglicious
Site Admin

Re: Anthony Mathis

Post by Aglicious » June 3rd, 2019, 11:35 am

Now I don't know what I am more shocked by, the fact that he got another year of eligibility granted to him or that he is transferring now that he has it.
These users thanked the author Aglicious for the post:
aggies22

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » June 3rd, 2019, 1:33 pm

When someone enters the portal at this late stage, it makes me wonder whether there has been some tampering. Did someone contact Mathis through his AAU coach to gauge his interest in moving up-market -- or something like that? I really doubt that EVER happens, but who knows?

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » June 3rd, 2019, 1:44 pm

I am surprised more players don't go into the portal. It gives you a chance to talk to other schools and perhaps gauge your value. It is not binding. You can come back to your original school and if you choose to leave anyway your old school can't limit your choices..

Because it is voluntary for these players there probably isn't tampering going on ahead of time. It is a drag losing guys but this is a nice rule for the players. It is just a little level of freedom.

Nevada had 8 guys inter the portal. With 2 and possibly 3 leaving. Alford had to recruit them all over again.

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » June 3rd, 2019, 1:48 pm

nvspuds wrote:
June 3rd, 2019, 1:44 pm
I am surprised more players don't go into the portal. It gives you a chance to talk to other schools and perhaps gauge your value. It is not binding. You can come back to your original school and if you choose to leave anyway your old school can't limit your choices..

Because it is voluntary for these players there probably isn't tampering going on ahead of time. It is a drag losing guys but this is a nice rule for the players. It is just a little level of freedom.

Nevada had 7 guys enter the portal. With 2 and possibly 3 leaving. Alford had to recruit them all over again. We should hear about Jordan Brown this week as summer school starts on the 10th. Eric Parrish didn't enter the portal because he wasn't on the team yet..He had signed an LOI and decided not to seek a release from that.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » June 3rd, 2019, 1:49 pm

If you're at a school like UNM (or even USU) I think it makes a lot of sense to be a Grad Transfer- for a better name school. Unfortunately people shoot themselves in the foot with how the Grad transfer is used.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » June 3rd, 2019, 2:08 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
June 3rd, 2019, 1:33 pm
When someone enters the portal at this late stage, it makes me wonder whether there has been some tampering. Did someone contact Mathis through his AAU coach to gauge his interest in moving up-market -- or something like that? I really doubt that EVER happens, but who knows?
After looking at the situation at UNM a little closer he may have gotten some help from his own HC. Apparently Weir is over schollies by 2-3 for next year and needs to find solutions fast. Losing Mathis may not be ideal from a personnel stand point but it helps from a total scholly point.

blueblood

Post by blueblood » June 3rd, 2019, 3:02 pm

nvspuds wrote:I am surprised more players don't go into the portal. It gives you a chance to talk to other schools and perhaps gauge your value. It is not binding. You can come back to your original school and if you choose to leave anyway your old school can't limit your choices..

Nevada had 8 guys inter the portal. With 2 and possibly 3 leaving. Alford had to recruit them all over again.
Except for the fact that in 95% of the cases where a player enters the portal he will not be welcomed back by a coach.

It’s like telling your wife that you want to start dating other people again. You get an apartment and spend all of your free time for the next few months out playing the field. After constantly getting turned down by all hotties, you realize your 40 year old beer belly just won’t cut it and that you had it pretty good, you try to go back home. But instead her welcoming you back , you find all your crap has been sitting on the sidewalk for the last month and the she changed the locks.

The exceptions would be in situations where there is a coaching change like Nevada.

If you decide to leave, that bridge is burned you can’t go back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author blueblood for the post (total 3):
aggies22NVAggieJSHarvey

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » June 3rd, 2019, 3:08 pm

blueblood wrote:
June 3rd, 2019, 3:02 pm
nvspuds wrote:I am surprised more players don't go into the portal. It gives you a chance to talk to other schools and perhaps gauge your value. It is not binding. You can come back to your original school and if you choose to leave anyway your old school can't limit your choices..

Except for the fact that in 95% of the cases where a player enters the portal he will not be welcomed back by a coach.

It’s like telling your wife that you want to start dating other people again. You get an apartment and spend all of your free time for the next few months out playing the field. After constantly getting turned down by all hotties, you realize your 40 year old beer belly just won’t cut it and that you had it pretty good, you try to go back home. But instead her welcoming you back , you find all your crap has been sitting on the sidewalk for the last month and the she changed the locks.

The exceptions would be in situations where there is a coaching change like Nevada.

If you decide to leave, that bridge is burned you can’t go back.

:golfclap: :golfclap:

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » June 3rd, 2019, 3:10 pm

Alford is 100 percent delighted to have all the guys come back..

deltaaggie

Post by deltaaggie » June 3rd, 2019, 3:16 pm

RE: blueblood

This sounds way to detailed to not be from personal experience lol :headscratch:
These users thanked the author deltaaggie for the post:
sneed

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » June 3rd, 2019, 3:22 pm

nvspuds wrote:
June 3rd, 2019, 3:10 pm
Alford is 100 percent delighted to have all the guys come back..
In the situation of a coaching change I think it makes a bit more sense. At that point the players don't have a relationship with the new coach so they may as well see what else is out there before deciding if they want to commit to the incoming coach. When there isn't a new coach though it does feel a bit more like a slap in the face that you're only willing to stay if you can't find something better.
These users thanked the author ProvoAggie for the post:
aggies22

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » June 3rd, 2019, 3:29 pm

I read that he is friends with Payton Prichard of Oregon, who pulled his name from the draft to play another year at Oregon. Many sources think he is going to the Ducklings.
These users thanked the author ThunderAggie for the post:
MrBiggle

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » June 3rd, 2019, 3:30 pm

I think is is bit more complex than that..Coaches leave, players get counseled out, recruited over etc..This is the one bit of freedom available to these young men. I don't think it is a case of the players being the ungrateful bad guys of the piece..

nvspuds

Post by nvspuds » June 3rd, 2019, 3:30 pm

Mathis is from Linn Oregon and certainly may wish to play closer to home..

blueblood

Post by blueblood » June 3rd, 2019, 3:47 pm

deltaaggie wrote:RE: blueblood

This sounds way to detailed to not be from personal experience lol :headscratch:
Thankfully, no I don’t have first hand experience with this. I had actually just listened to Scotty & Hans talk about the transfer portal and what the coaches they have talked to have said about the portal.

bpd

Post by bpd » June 3rd, 2019, 4:43 pm

If you want a good follow about New Mexico hoops and MW hoops follow Geoff Grammar on twitter. He basically predicted this in April. Also, I assume with every Oregon transfer there is tampering.... because Oregon is dirtier than a $5 hooker.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » June 3rd, 2019, 4:49 pm

bpd wrote:
June 3rd, 2019, 4:43 pm
If you want a good follow about New Mexico hoops and MW hoops follow Geoff Grammar on twitter. He basically predicted this in April. Also, I assume with every Oregon transfer there is tampering.... because Oregon is dirtier than a $5 hooker.
If I recall correctly, Oregon once approached Jalen Moore about transferring.

bullshot

Post by bullshot » June 3rd, 2019, 4:57 pm

bpd wrote:
June 3rd, 2019, 4:43 pm
Yes, it baffles me that Oregon is eligible for post season, as they have without a doubt, tampered, paid off, recruited felons and made cover ups for years now. And don’t get me started on the seamy AAU/shoe world that Dana Altman lives in.
These users thanked the author bullshot for the post:
aggies22

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » June 3rd, 2019, 6:09 pm

Mathis is from Oregon.

Continuing with the analogy.

Your wife has the choice to kick you out and replace you with a better model after every year.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » June 4th, 2019, 7:30 am

All of this transferring about is going to ruin college sports for me. The little guys will become the Rick's College to BYU.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » June 4th, 2019, 10:36 am

NVAggie wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 7:30 am
All of this transferring about is going to ruin college sports for me. The little guys will become the Rick's College to BYU.
I know this is the basketball board but if it makes anyone feel better, no one from last years team has left the football program.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post (total 2):
USU78ChicAggie

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » June 4th, 2019, 2:04 pm

aggies22 wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 10:36 am
NVAggie wrote:
I know this is the basketball board but if it makes anyone feel better, no one from last years team has left the football program.
That is crazy and especially impressive given the coaching change.
These users thanked the author treesap32 for the post (total 2):
hipsterdoofus21ChicAggie

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » June 4th, 2019, 3:06 pm

treesap32 wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 2:04 pm
aggies22 wrote:
NVAggie wrote:
Particularly crazy in light of the tampering by our outgoing coaching staff and perceived move "up market." (I would say "alleged tampering," except we have it from an extremely reliable source that it happened -- so I take judicial notice of the fact that it happened.) I think this speaks VOLUMES for the level of respect this team has for both the outgoing staff and the incoming staff (interpret that comment however you like, but to spell it out: the team likes the new staff much better than the outgoing staff). :)
These users thanked the author ChicAggie for the post (total 2):
USU78aggies22

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

GUS

Post by GUS » June 4th, 2019, 3:12 pm

Just looked at the Mathis thread on the UNM board. They don't seem to think that losing him is a problem. They don't think he would have been a starter but merely an extra three point threat.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » June 4th, 2019, 4:11 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 3:06 pm
treesap32 wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 2:04 pm
aggies22 wrote:
NVAggie wrote:
Particularly crazy in light of the tampering by our outgoing coaching staff and perceived move "up market." (I would say "alleged tampering," except we have it from an extremely reliable source that it happened -- so I take judicial notice of the fact that it happened.) I think this speaks VOLUMES for the level of respect this team has for both the outgoing staff and the incoming staff (interpret that comment however you like, but to spell it out: the team likes the new staff much better than the outgoing staff). :)
It's also true that the outgoing staff nearly broke irrevocably the shiny toy Andy and his guys built in Logan. But for the '17 (loss) and '18 (win) bowl games, and the whole thing turned on a single regular season win in '17, there'd've been mass football firings in Logan.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

hvaggie

Post by hvaggie » June 5th, 2019, 4:57 pm

aggies22 wrote:
NVAggie wrote:
Thanks for the Jinx. I'm assuming by this post it was a surprise to you as well

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » June 5th, 2019, 5:39 pm

hvaggie wrote:
June 5th, 2019, 4:57 pm
aggies22 wrote:
NVAggie wrote:
I guess so. :noidea:

elcheque2

Post by elcheque2 » June 6th, 2019, 9:36 am

aggies22 wrote:
hvaggie wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
NVAggie wrote:
I saw a tweet from Hans Olsen that said we had 9 guys in the transfer portal for football. That was before the Chris Nash tweet so I'm guessing we have 10 and there's 9 we don't know about yet.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » June 6th, 2019, 10:25 am

elcheque2 wrote:
June 6th, 2019, 9:36 am
aggies22 wrote:
hvaggie wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
NVAggie wrote:
I saw a tweet from Hans Olsen that said we had 9 guys in the transfer portal for football. That was before the Chris Nash tweet so I'm guessing we have 10 and there's 9 we don't know about yet.

Contrary to Hans tweet, this NOT true. The only scholarship player that is in the portal is Chris Nash. There might be some walk-ons in the portal because the new staff in bringing in their own guys. But there are NOT 9 scholarship guys in the portal.

elcheque2

Post by elcheque2 » June 6th, 2019, 10:36 am

aggies22 wrote:
elcheque2 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
hvaggie wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
NVAggie wrote:

Contrary to Hans tweet, this NOT true. The only scholarship player that is in the portal is Chris Nash. There might be some walk-ons in the portal because the new staff in bringing in their own guys. But there are NOT 9 scholarship guys in the portal.
Where would Hans be getting that number?

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » June 6th, 2019, 10:53 am

elcheque2 wrote:
June 6th, 2019, 10:36 am
I think aggie22 just explained it. There are 9 guys in the transfer portal, but they are not scholarship guys. Even non-scholarship players go through the transfer portal to broadcast availability.

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » June 6th, 2019, 11:12 am

elcheque2 wrote:
June 6th, 2019, 10:36 am
aggies22 wrote:
elcheque2 wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
hvaggie wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
NVAggie wrote:

I have no idea? I can promise you it's not from a better source than where I got my info from.

Bank Shot

Post by Bank Shot » June 6th, 2019, 12:54 pm

Mathis has indeed committed to Oregon.
These users thanked the author Bank Shot for the post:
aggies22

Locked Previous topicNext topic