Analysis of Quinn's AF Game

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
USUBlue
13=13

Analysis of Quinn's AF Game

Post by USUBlue » January 9th, 2019, 1:15 pm

As promised, I have reviewed in detail Quinn's play of the Air Force Game:

Overall Grade: B-; Pretty hard to get more than a B- when you give up more points 19 (no not 30, incorrectly hyperbole) then you score 16. Otherwise, a typical Quinn game -- solid positioning, position rebounder, good effort, team player. Grade would be higher due to good shooting and overall solid play, but poor 2nd half defense drops his grade.
** Note - all analysis is done on a relative basis against the MWC conference talent that he is playing against. This isn't high school best efforts anymore. Of course there are many other things that could be referenced good and bad, but these are the ones that stood out. Quinn is clearly one of our best 5 players.

Positives:

Good Shooting -- He hit his open shots; 2 big 3's at 9:30 in the 1st half, and 13.21 in the 2nd half; 2 nice left handed low block finishes at 15:10 and .33 of the 2nd half, but what I enjoyed the most was his strong post move jump hook at 7:58 of the 2nd half (he needs to do that more)

Move without the Ball -- the Key to any offense (not based on ball-screens and NBA drive kick) is movement without the ball and off-ball screening. At 12:00 in the first half, I thought the work that Quinn and Bean did around the basket, with and without the ball, was awesome. Both players were very active and were aware of each other for an layup.

Good Passing -- I have not paid as much attention as I should to Quinn's passing. He's very solid and aware; though Quinn does have some bad turnovers (one in particular at 17:10 1st half that also lead to him giving up a layup), he made a very nice high/low pass to Sam at 16.05 of the 1st half and a couple of skip passes to open shooters.

Negatives:

Poor Technique -- Quinn lacks lateral quickness on the perimeter at the MWC stretch 4 level and his defensive position is sometimes too upright to allow for quick lateral movement. Because of that he tends to play off his man to far, and isn't quick enough to effectively close out on the 3.

Poor Defense -- In this game, Quinn gave up 19 points directly to his man, only 2 due to help defense gone wrong. At 17:05 of the 1st half he gave up a layup off his turnover; at 7:35 of the first half he was inside the foul line giving up a 3 to #44 (who has a pure stroke -- nothing "lucky" about #44's shots even if he hadn't taken many before).

And then in the 2nd half, Quinn's defense was poor giving up 14 points in 10 1/2 minutes (he was beat more than any other player on the team this half and he was out for 2 minutes or so of that 10 1/2). At 12:28 a wide open 3 (he had helped, he just didn't work hard to get back), another 3 at 12.17, a 2 at 8:52, again a 2 at 8:15, a 2 at 5:12, and finally a 2 at 1:47.
Last edited by USUBlue on January 9th, 2019, 1:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

GeorgiaAggie

Re: Analysis of Quinn's AF Game

Post by GeorgiaAggie » January 9th, 2019, 1:20 pm

Please make this stop...we know...we know!!!

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » January 9th, 2019, 1:32 pm

GeorgiaAggie wrote:
January 9th, 2019, 1:20 pm
I will in a few weeks, probably after the UNLV game, unless another family asks me for a specific evaluation. I'm only doing the home games.

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » January 9th, 2019, 2:07 pm

Don't feed the troll

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » January 9th, 2019, 2:11 pm

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
January 9th, 2019, 2:07 pm
Don't feed the troll
Hmmm, 3 positives and 2 negatives; very fair overview. Not enough for the cheerleaders I guess; listen to Smith, you'd get the same overview without the specificity.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » January 9th, 2019, 2:17 pm

GeorgiaAggie wrote:
January 9th, 2019, 1:20 pm
Haha, I love it. :noidea:

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » January 9th, 2019, 2:19 pm

USUBlue wrote:
January 9th, 2019, 2:11 pm
MetsJetsAggies wrote:
Don't feed the troll
Hmmm, 3 positives and 2 negatives; very fair overview. Not enough for the cheerleaders I guess; listen to Smith, you'd get the same overview without the specificity.
We've all watched Quinn play for 4 years. No one has any problem admitting he isn't a perfect player, and has negatives. We have problems with incessantly beating us over the head with it every time he has a bad game (not saying it was just you that did it).

This whole thing is just exhibit A-Z why this place became miserable the past few years. We are out of the Duryea era now and have a top 50 team, why do we want to focus on how our 5th year senior, 3rd best player, has some holes in his game that literally everyone is aware of?

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » January 9th, 2019, 2:30 pm

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
January 9th, 2019, 2:19 pm
USUBlue wrote:
January 9th, 2019, 2:11 pm
MetsJetsAggies wrote:
Don't feed the troll
We've all watched Quinn play for 4 years. No one has any problem admitting he isn't a perfect player, and has negatives. We have problems with incessantly beating us over the head with it every time he has a bad game (not saying it was just you that did it).

This whole thing is just exhibit A-Z why this place became miserable the past few years. We are out of the Duryea era now and have a top 50 team, why do we want to focus on how our 5th year senior, 3rd best player, has some holes in his game that literally everyone is aware of?
I agree MJA; I like Quinn's game even with its imperfections. He's a excellent example of a walkon player that's earned a scholarship -- rare in BBall. The problem is when a player's families/friends describe that they can "silence" what is posted about a player's game (again not personal life). I will forever stand up for the ability to discuss a player's or coach's good and bad. That's all I'm doing -- and I'll gladly stop after the UNLV home game of focusing on Quinn's game. Now if another player's family wants me to focus on them, they can contact me.

BTW, I hear Quinn's liking the attention and best wishes from others.

utaggies

Post by utaggies » January 9th, 2019, 2:44 pm

For pete’s sake. Just declare victory if it makes you feel better and let this thing go. It has gone way past being ridiculous.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » January 9th, 2019, 2:46 pm

Sometimes in life, even if you win, you lose.....

Do yourself (and all of the rest of us) a favor and just give it up already.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » January 9th, 2019, 2:48 pm

That's a nice (and fair) breakdown Blue.

For some reason this got me thinking about Nate Harris. It's astounding how a player who may not be the most athletic can benefit from being crafty with his feet. Not trying to compare Quinn to Nate, maybe more wishing that more post players had Nate's technique with footwork, high ball-holding and fakes. Nate could flummox guys way taller and more athletic. It must be harder to teach, learn and do than it looks because Nate seems to have been pretty rare that way.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » January 9th, 2019, 2:56 pm

brownjeans wrote:
January 9th, 2019, 2:48 pm
That's a nice (and fair) breakdown Blue.

For some reason this got me thinking about Nate Harris. It's astounding how a player who may not be the most athletic can benefit from being crafty with his feet. Not trying to compare Quinn to Nate, maybe more wishing that more post players had Nate's technique with footwork, high ball-holding and fakes. Nate could flummox guys way taller and more athletic. It must be harder to teach, learn and do than it looks because Nate seems to have been pretty rare that way.
Nate was awesome. I loved the way he played; such good footwork, hands and positioning. Shawn Daniels was another great player that way.
Last edited by USUBlue on January 9th, 2019, 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » January 9th, 2019, 3:01 pm

bluegrouse wrote:
January 9th, 2019, 2:46 pm
Sometimes in life, even if you win, you lose.....

Do yourself (and all of the rest of us) a favor and just give it up already.
That's what many on here don't understand -- it's not about winning and losing, it's about having the ability to be a fan and discuss the whole game, not just the family cheerleader side of the game. We are out of high school. This is big money college sports -- Quinn is being paid nicely to play a game and entertain us. The game is to be savored and you can't do that without understanding when a steak is well prepared vs. just a hunk of meat.

I am tied of being accused of hyperbole so I'll be specific. I know the game better than most and have a history in this game and with Utah State. I'll be more specific and try to find one more positive than negative in my posts. Otherwise, I'm going to savor the game as always. By the way, as MJA brought up, isn't it nice to savor the coaching of Smith compared to the last several years?

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » January 9th, 2019, 3:03 pm

utaggies wrote:
January 9th, 2019, 2:44 pm
For pete’s sake. Just declare victory if it makes you feel better and let this thing go. It has gone way past being ridiculous.
I like your posts Utagges, but this isn't about winning. It's about watching the whole game and discussing it. Love Smith and this year's team -- they play hard, they play together, and they've been productive. But I still want to watch the whole game like a fan, not a cheerleader. I'll be at the game tonight, and I'll be evaluating Quinn's game specifically. Let's hope for a win, this one is going to be tough. Fresno has better talent than us, but we're home and we're well coached. Go Aggies!

utaggies

Post by utaggies » January 9th, 2019, 3:22 pm

USUBlue wrote:
January 9th, 2019, 3:03 pm
utaggies wrote:
I like your posts Utagges, but this isn't about winning. It's about watching the whole game and discussing it. Love Smith and this year's team -- they play hard, they play together, and they've been productive. But I still want to watch the whole game like a fan, not a cheerleader. I'll be at the game tonight, and I'll be evaluating Quinn's game specifically. Let's hope for a win, this one is going to be tough. Fresno has better talent than us, but we're home and we're well coached. Go Aggies!
Discussing is one thing but beating a dead mule is quite another. I generally like your takes on things and agree with you more often than not. But I think this discussion became personal and it’s now gone beyond the pale.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » January 9th, 2019, 3:29 pm

utaggies wrote:
January 9th, 2019, 3:22 pm
USUBlue wrote:
January 9th, 2019, 3:03 pm
utaggies wrote:
Discussing is one thing but beating a dead mule is quite another. I generally like your takes on things and agree with you more often than not. But I think this discussion became personal and it’s now gone beyond the pale.
Oh it did get personal for sure when I was contacted by Quinn's family and friends, but before then and now, it's just being a fan of the game and Utah State. Funny I didn't even start the thread they were bother by, and I wasn't harsh about his play at all and think he's one of our 5 best players. The only negative I mentioned about Quinn is he gave up 30 points (hyperbole) -- he actually gave up 19; 14 in the 2nd half. So, Quinn will be reviewed specifically for the next 4 home games because it's what fans should be able to do and it's healthy to not talk in hyperbole (I appreciated gametime's insights); and that's what I'm going to do and I'll try to have one more positive than negative.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » January 9th, 2019, 3:41 pm

:anonymous:

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » January 9th, 2019, 3:45 pm

Perhaps if you are contacted by players' families asking for this analysis, as it seems you have stated (sorry if I am reading that wrong) just send the analysis to them?

Donman

Post by Donman » January 9th, 2019, 3:47 pm

Have you shared this with Coach Smith? Maybe he could make you an assistant?

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » January 9th, 2019, 3:50 pm

Donman wrote:
January 9th, 2019, 3:47 pm
Have you shared this with Coach Smith? Maybe he could make you an assistant?
I'm sure Coach Smith and his staff are well aware of their players positive abilities as well as their limitations.

dirtnsnow

Post by dirtnsnow » January 9th, 2019, 3:51 pm

I'm ok with this analysis, actually. You're saying he gave up 5 points in the first half, and 14 in the second. You attribute this to a lack of lateral quickness, so he plays off his man. If that were true, then why didn't they score more on him in the first half? I still think they were told to pack it in and dare air force to shoot the 3. It just backfired in this game. Quinn wasn't the only one playing off his man to start the second half, and the falcons weren't shooting well at the half.

Aggies All the Way!

GordoAggie

Post by GordoAggie » January 9th, 2019, 4:57 pm

How is this guy not making $$$$ and making sweet 16 runs every year somewhere??🙄🙄

aggieup15
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by aggieup15 » January 9th, 2019, 6:08 pm

I’m going to assume his talk with the AD didn’t go over well & he’s now resorted to this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aggieup15
Been thanked: 0

Post by aggieup15 » January 9th, 2019, 6:08 pm

newhouse9 wrote:Perhaps if you are contacted by players' families asking for this analysis, as it seems you have stated (sorry if I am reading that wrong) just send the analysis to them?
My thoughts exactly Image

agster

Post by agster » January 9th, 2019, 6:55 pm

Good analysis USUBlue. It was fair and there were positives and negatives no sugarcoating. I like it. I wouldn't mind seeing this after every game with each player that plays.

Good job!

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » January 9th, 2019, 8:10 pm

Can't dunk cleanly whilst getting fouled

Donman

Post by Donman » January 9th, 2019, 8:13 pm

With that write up, I'm surprised coach started him

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » January 9th, 2019, 8:14 pm

Pours his milk BEFORE his cereal

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » January 9th, 2019, 8:37 pm

Teach your children that if they see this, to go up and sit with him. Nobody deserves to eat lunch alone. It creates broken adults.

Hail Aggies!

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » January 9th, 2019, 9:16 pm

TheAKAggie wrote:
January 9th, 2019, 8:37 pm
Teach your children that if they see this, to go up and sit with him. Nobody deserves to eat lunch alone. It creates broken adults.

Cipher in the Snow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp8vI-fMcNE

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

Locked Previous topicNext topic