The significance of 1 play

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
SectionBAggie

The significance of 1 play

Post by SectionBAggie » December 6th, 2018, 9:32 pm

To Rose's credit, he saw that Worthington had no chance to compete against Queta, so he modified their starting lineup to make Queta guard Childs. It was not that much of a mismatch. Childs' first five points matched Queta's first five points. They each had a foul - guarding the other. Then. at 15:39, inexplicably, Queta fouled Haws on a three point attempt. It played right into the strategy - get Queta in foul trouble while trying to lock down Merrill.

At the time that Haws was shooting, the score was 7-5. Queta sat down as Haws hit 2 of 3 going to 9-5.

While Queta sat, the lead was stretched out to 36-19 - a delta of 15 points over the pre-foul score.

Queta came back in and over the rest of the game USU had a 2-point advantage.

I am aware that there are many factors in what it means to "play them even."

But the factor that played more of a role than anything seems to be Queta's ~8 minute stretch on the bench in the first half. Since Fakira doesn't appear ready for significant minutes, we are essentially one-deep at the C spot. The rest of the team looks like it has sufficient depth and options. Not all-league perhaps, but sufficient. In the games where Queta gets starter minutes, we are in very good shape. When his inexperience puts him on the bench, the Aggies will struggle. We have to use a stretch-4 at the Center spot.

That is this year's scenario. Hopefully, Queta cleans up the fouling (Tai Wesley had the same problem in his early freshman year). That will make this year much better. (It should be noted that Queta finished with 2 fouls.)

And optimism for next year should be high. A year of experience should help Fakira. And Stall should help as well. Neither of them needs significant minutes. They will be backing up a future star.

WAAggie

Re: The significance of 1 play

Post by WAAggie » December 7th, 2018, 8:22 am

Thanks for putting the time line together. It as clear that changed the outcome to the game. The future is bright. We have an aircraft carrier that has some moves that are off the charts as Aggie centers go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OrlandoAggie

Post by OrlandoAggie » December 7th, 2018, 9:58 am

I also remember thinking to myself that this play just significantly dropped our chances of winning. If I am not mistaken, it goes back one play even further - we were on a break and Brito missed a layup - which led to the the fast break the other way and the foul on Queta. That missed layup turned the game.

pablohoney

Post by pablohoney » December 7th, 2018, 10:14 am

Agreed. My thought at the moment of the foul was that we were done. That was the most important play of the game for BYU and Haws was savvy enough to bait Queta into it.

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » December 7th, 2018, 11:29 am

When Queta fouled Haws I'm sure my neighbors heard me scream. As expected it looked like the officials allowed the stench players to basically put a saddle on Merrill and ride him like a horse until the game was out of reach. You see the look on Smiths face when Merrill was shooting/moving with the ball? Then in the second half, the refs changed up wouldn't allow the Aggies to play prison ball. It's what they always do....We should know better.

Yoley …..Yoley…..Yoley….man, did the stench announcers love to say that or what?

nswaggie

Post by nswaggie » December 7th, 2018, 11:54 am

pablohoney wrote:
December 7th, 2018, 10:14 am
Agreed. My thought at the moment of the foul was that we were done. That was the most important play of the game for BYU and Haws was savvy enough to bait Queta into it.
I can go all the way back to the first points scored. BYU dropped it into Childs on a post up, we doubled Childs and he kicked it out right were the double came from for an open easy three. I think that made three gave the whole BYU team confidence in their 3 pt shooting. It was way too easy for them on their first possession. The shooter got his feet set and made an easy 3. That play helped set the tone for the rest of the game and we did nothing of significance to counter. I think Queta having to go to the bench was part of the problem, but not the main reason we lost. We lost because our 3 pt defense needs significant improvement. I don’t chalk this up to they got hot and there is nothing we could have done. They made a few contested 3’s but most of them were feet set & good shots, that is on us and our perimeter defense.

I could also go all the way back to the tip.

BYU had scouted Even how to win the tip. Anyone else notice Child won the tip cause he tipped the ball on it’s way up right after it left the refs hands? He knew he would lose the tip if he tried to out jump Queta.

Bottom line is our guys were not ready to go, and for the first time this season the opposing team was more prepared and dialed in.

I’m anxious to see how we respond tomorrow.

brian5562

Post by brian5562 » December 7th, 2018, 12:50 pm

I think the biggest mistake was not calling a timeout after Emery checked in and proceeded to hit a 3. The building was extremely loud at that point and you could see the Aggies were shaken. I thought a timeout would be good to calm the team and quiet the building.

nswaggie

Post by nswaggie » December 7th, 2018, 2:03 pm

brian5562 wrote:
December 7th, 2018, 12:50 pm
I think the biggest mistake was not calling a timeout after Emery checked in and proceeded to hit a 3. The building was extremely loud at that point and you could see the Aggies were shaken. I thought a timeout would be good to calm the team and quiet the building.
I agree, I think Smith even admitted in the post game he should’ve used more timeouts in the first half.

Locked Previous topicNext topic