Better enjoy the W tonight cougs

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
JFWAggie

Better enjoy the W tonight cougs

Post by JFWAggie » December 5th, 2018, 9:12 pm

Because smith won’t be losing to you again for a while, the future is bright Ags! Beginning next year we will have post depth, a more seasoned future nba big, and guards that will be able to really get to the basket, I am enjoying this years squad but can’t help getting excited about the future!

BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl

Re: Better enjoy the W tonight cougs

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » December 5th, 2018, 9:20 pm

It really is sad how bare of a cupboard Tim left behind. When you look at the guys we have on the floor- it’s embarrassing. They don’t even resemble a D1 team. Porter, Taylor, Brito, and Ainge have no business playing MW basketball. Miller sucks too, but that’s just a recruiting miss.
Hopeful that Smith can get some talent to Logan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » December 5th, 2018, 9:20 pm

Technically it’s their first win over us in awhile.

SaintAggie

Post by SaintAggie » December 5th, 2018, 9:23 pm

BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
December 5th, 2018, 9:20 pm
It really is sad how bare of a cupboard Tim left behind. When you look at the guys we have on the floor- it’s embarrassing. They don’t even resemble a D1 team. Porter, Taylor, Brito, and Ainge have no business playing MW basketball. Miller sucks too, but that’s just a recruiting miss.

Dont agree that Miller "sucks". Maybe your expectations are just a bit high for a freshman (admittedly a redshirt freshman).

JFWAggie

Post by JFWAggie » December 5th, 2018, 9:36 pm

BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:

I wouldn’t go that far, these guys play hard and are good teammates, they’ve earned playing time and and a spot on the roster, next year their roles will change.

Brito and Miller can still become good mw level players. Porter is pretty darn good and reliable for being a walk-in, Ainge has really improved and is a tough kid.

tjensen_25

Post by tjensen_25 » December 5th, 2018, 9:37 pm

I honestly wish we'd just stop playing them.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » December 5th, 2018, 9:39 pm

Wow. We went from top 25 to sucking rather quickly...

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » December 5th, 2018, 9:41 pm

I didn’t get to watch really any of the game so I am wondering what the hell happened? Did not think there was any chance we’d get blown out.
Last edited by ineptimusprime on December 5th, 2018, 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos » December 5th, 2018, 9:42 pm

BYU looked totally jacked for this game.

GUS

Post by GUS » December 5th, 2018, 9:47 pm

I haven't been impressed with Miller this year. If he doesn't improve quickly, I hope he is recruited over. He was supposed to be as good as Sam, not even close. Brown needs to quit jacking up threes. If Stew were the coach, Brown would be sitting on the side and get his a$$ chewed.
Last edited by GUS on December 5th, 2018, 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » December 5th, 2018, 9:47 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
December 5th, 2018, 9:41 pm
I didn’t get to watch really any of the game so I am wondering what the hell happened? Did not think there was any chance we’d get blown out.
BYU couldn't miss a 3 pointer, we couldn't make one...I believe BYU was 58% at the half...we were 0%. Our guys came out and looked timid. I think they were a bit intimidated by the environment. It was a weaker crowd by BYU standards but probably the biggest and flashiest we've seen this year.

Aggiealum13

Post by Aggiealum13 » December 5th, 2018, 9:49 pm

We got em in football, but they got us in basketball. Man it has been since like 1982 since we got the double crown on them.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » December 5th, 2018, 9:50 pm

CaptainChaos wrote:
December 5th, 2018, 9:42 pm
BYU looked totally jacked for this game.
of course they did. We're their Super Bowl.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » December 5th, 2018, 9:53 pm

They have won 7 in a row, from us that pretty much say's it all. We do not win many in Provo.

breadysmith

Post by breadysmith » December 5th, 2018, 10:00 pm

Provo is right...the chuckers were hitting their 3's tonight and Childs did his thing and then some...he's really good. Chuckers don't hit some of the garbage they throw up like they do most nights and it's a good game. But alas, we caught them on a night where their pasty white majesty was working. Sucks losing to such a collection of absolute dorks.

"I'm much more comfortable criticizing people behind their backs." George Costanza

thansen
Has thanked: 0

Post by thansen » December 5th, 2018, 10:04 pm

GUS wrote:
December 5th, 2018, 9:47 pm
I haven't been impressed with Miller this year. If he doesn't improve quickly, I hope he is recruited over. He was supposed to be as good as Sam, not even close. Brown needs to quit jacking up threes. If Stew were the coach, Brown would be sitting on the side and get his a$$ chewed.
Smith wants Brown to shoot threes. During the Coach's Show he said that Brown is a really good 3 point shooter in practice and that his 3 point percentage last year was an anomaly.
Last edited by thansen on December 5th, 2018, 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thansen
Has thanked: 0

Post by thansen » December 5th, 2018, 10:08 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
December 5th, 2018, 9:53 pm
They have won 7 in a row, from us that pretty much say's it all. We do not win many in Provo.
We've won 1 game over the past 30 + years in Provo and that was under Stew. But next year we will play them in SLC as part of the Beehive Classic.

coolag

Post by coolag » December 5th, 2018, 10:17 pm

JFWAggie wrote:
December 5th, 2018, 9:36 pm
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:

I wouldn’t go that far, these guys play hard and are good teammates, they’ve earned playing time and and a spot on the roster, next year their roles will change.

Brito and Miller can still become good mw level players. Porter is pretty darn good and reliable for being a walk-in, Ainge has really improved and is a tough kid.
Porter is pretty darn good? That's some crazy shiz you're smoking!!!

Regulator of Class

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 5th, 2018, 10:20 pm

dyedblue wrote:
December 5th, 2018, 9:39 pm
Wow. We went from top 25 to sucking rather quickly...

Lol, so true. Because the MW is down I still believe we can have a very good year in conference, but people talking NCAA tournament and Smith leaving after year one were a bit much.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » December 5th, 2018, 10:31 pm

SaintAggie wrote:
December 5th, 2018, 9:23 pm
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:

Dont agree that Miller "sucks". Maybe your expectations are just a bit high for a freshman (admittedly a redshirt freshman).
A very old redshirt freshman. Miller needs to find more than just 3 point shooting; he game is lacking in many ways. He and Brito need to be recruited over.

brian5562

Post by brian5562 » December 5th, 2018, 10:36 pm

There are some players on the roster who should be coming off the bench or possible not on the team however this team plays extremely hard and plays well together.

I like Miller and hope he can find his shot as this team could really use a shooter to help spread the floor even more.

Not sure why Porter gets minutes over Knight but other than that this team is exceeding expectations.

BYU shot extremely well and played with a chip on their shoulder. Aggies just dug too big of a whole to climb out of .

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » December 5th, 2018, 10:38 pm

It’s basketball, it happens. I would be extremely disappointed with a loss to Weber this weekend. I hope they come out with something to prove on Saturday.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » December 5th, 2018, 11:15 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:It’s basketball, it happens. I would be extremely disappointed with a loss to Weber this weekend. I hope they come out with something to prove on Saturday.
I watched Weber run this BYU team out of the gym. Had Weber shot anywhere near their regular free throw percentage they would have won by 20. I am very nervous about our game on Saturday.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

USUstudent13

Post by USUstudent13 » December 5th, 2018, 11:19 pm

If you would have told me at the beginning of the season that we would be 7-2 before we played Weber State I would have been in disbelief. Very optimistic about the future of Aggie basketball! :utah: :state:

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » December 5th, 2018, 11:25 pm

GUS wrote:
The luxury of having a new coach and a relatively new team is over. BYU scouted us and prepared. They denied Merrill the ball and stuck with him like glue. They went at Queta and got him in early foul trouble and put him on the bench. Most our team looked like they weren't sure what to do so they started trying to do everything themselves. Ainge, Miller, Taylor, and Brown aren't players that can play hero ball with any success. Before you know it, we were down nearly 20 points. The team regrouped at half and played better, but not well enough.
Coach will work on getting the guys ready to counter the way BYU played us. They had a sound game plan and we didn't seem to know how to adjust effectively but we'll work on it. We lack depth. If Merrill can't get the ball or get open and if Queta's in foul trouble, we're going to struggle.

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » December 6th, 2018, 12:42 am

dyedblue wrote:
December 5th, 2018, 11:15 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:It’s basketball, it happens. I would be extremely disappointed with a loss to Weber this weekend. I hope they come out with something to prove on Saturday.
I watched Weber run this BYU team out of the gym. Had Weber shot anywhere near their regular free throw percentage they would have won by 20. I am very nervous about our game on Saturday.

They got blown out worse than we did by Fresno tonight

BYU was at home, got Emery back, and couldn't miss a (I can't express myself without swearing) shot in the 1st half. Doesn't mean we should lose to Weber...

GUS

Post by GUS » December 6th, 2018, 1:54 am

We must have figured byu out a bit by the second half since we outscored them the second half.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » December 6th, 2018, 1:59 am

Funny how we go from being a tournament at-large team who won’t lose until January to a team that doesn’t have 5 D1 players on the roster because of one loss.

utaggies

Post by utaggies » December 6th, 2018, 2:36 am

GUS wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 1:54 am
We must have figured byu out a bit by the second half since we outscored them the second half.
That’s kinda like saying UNLV, SJS and Hawaii figured out our football team in the second half because they outscored us.

coolag

Post by coolag » December 6th, 2018, 5:03 am

bluegrouse wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 1:59 am
Funny how we go from being a tournament at-large team who won’t lose until January to a team that doesn’t have 5 D1 players on the roster because of one loss.
Hyperbole much?

Regulator of Class

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » December 6th, 2018, 5:46 am

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
dyedblue wrote:
December 5th, 2018, 11:15 pm

They got blown out worse than we did by Fresno tonight

BYU was at home, got Emery back, and couldn't miss a f*** shot in the 1st half. Doesn't mean we should lose to Weber...
If an adjustment like starting McKay Cannon instead of Dalton threw coach Smith and our team off as much as it seemed to last night then yes, we are in danger of losing to Weber.

They have a senior big that will go at Queta and will likely put him in foul trouble - again. The other concern I have is they have athleticism to spare and if BYU was able to take Merrill out so easily then Weber can to.

Now Weber played at home and their game may not travel to Vivint, but Smith and company. This will be a nice opportunity for South to bounce back against a good coach and team.

Oh, and Harding will absolutely destroy Ainge and Porter.

gametime12
Been thanked: 0

Post by gametime12 » December 6th, 2018, 8:19 am

BYU played by far their best game of the year. They shot the ball extremely well. The return of Emery clearly gave them an emotional edge, coupled with Queta leaving the game with 2 fouls early in the first half. They went on their run and by the time Queta came back it was too late. USU outscored BYU the rest of the way. The game was lost in that stretch where Queta was out and Emery came into the game.

As currently constructed, our team is extremely dependent on Sam and Queta (especially defensively). We don't have any guys outside of JK (maybe TK but he doesn't play) and Brown to break down defenses off the dribble. We've got to get more production from the 3 spot, as has already been pointed out (Brock/Brito combined for 6 points, 3 rebounds, and 1 assist in 37 minutes). At the end of the day, BYU played extremely well and USU didn't handle the environment well. It was a good learning experience and exposed areas they need to improve. Obviously it's too bad it happened in a rivalry game, but it is what it is. Gotta play with more aggression against Weber St.

usu99

Post by usu99 » December 6th, 2018, 8:24 am

If I was a defense I collapse every time. I don't think I saw one kick out on a drive tonight. Attempt after attempt straight hero ball and miss almost every time. It was a horrible game to watch.

For all of your IT needs send me a PM!!

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » December 6th, 2018, 8:37 am

dyedblue wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 5:46 am
If an adjustment like starting McKay Cannon instead of Dalton threw coach Smith and our team off as much as it seemed to last night then yes, we are in danger of losing to Weber.
I don't think that's what threw us off. Our guys came out looking intimidated. I'm guessing that the larger environment and pre-game pageantry got in our players heads. We haven't played in an environment like that this year and our guys weren't ready. You could tell that something was in their heads. At halftime they made adjustments and definitely looked more confident in the 2nd half but they still didn't play to the level that we've seen this year.

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » December 6th, 2018, 9:26 am

brownjeans wrote:
December 5th, 2018, 11:25 pm
GUS wrote:
The luxury of having a new coach and a relatively new team is over. BYU scouted us and prepared. They denied Merrill the ball and stuck with him like glue. They went at Queta and got him in early foul trouble and put him on the bench. Most our team looked like they weren't sure what to do so they started trying to do everything themselves. Ainge, Miller, Taylor, and Brown aren't players that can play hero ball with any success. Before you know it, we were down nearly 20 points. The team regrouped at half and played better, but not well enough.
Coach will work on getting the guys ready to counter the way BYU played us. They had a sound game plan and we didn't seem to know how to adjust effectively but we'll work on it. We lack depth. If Merrill can't get the ball or get open and if Queta's in foul trouble, we're going to struggle.
This is exactly right. We are a 2 trick team and BYU out coached us by neutralizing our tricks. When Merrill and Queta are having a good game then the rest of the team compliments them very well but with those 2 shut down the others don't of the skill set at this level to take it up a notch.

Locked Previous topicNext topic