Queta - Margin Of Victory

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
scotlandog

Queta - Margin Of Victory

Post by scotlandog » November 20th, 2018, 10:06 am

I don’t think last nights result happens without Queta’s performance. Margin of victory last night was 17 (80-63). Queta came in averaging 7-8pts/gm. He scored 24pts, 16-17 above his average. I don’t think that is a coincidence.

We haven’t used Queta very much but last nights offense flowed through him. We passed the ball into the post often with him and the results were great. If we continue to do that, we should get similar results. He will have games against other big post players and will struggle from time to time. He’s a freshman though and will only get better the more we use him. Future is bright!

Go Aggies!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

treesap32

Re: Queta - Margin Of Victory

Post by treesap32 » November 20th, 2018, 10:51 am

Queta is a legit force. I'm tickled to death we found him.

MrBiggle

Post by MrBiggle » November 20th, 2018, 12:46 pm

treesap32 wrote:
November 20th, 2018, 10:51 am
Dang man, how old are you?

Where only sage brush grows

dogie

Post by dogie » November 20th, 2018, 12:52 pm

There were a few plays last night where Merrill and Queta isolated on one half of the floor and passed the ball in and out to each other, resulting in several easy layups on pick and roll or give and go plays.

There aren’t a lot of freshman 6’11” centers with enough basketball knowledge or instincts to make plays like that and the skill to finish them. But Queta has both, and Smith will help him develop over the next couple of years. He reminds me of when the Aggies used to play Pape Sow of Fullerton State about 15 years ago. The great thing is that there is a good foundation to build on.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » November 20th, 2018, 1:03 pm

treesap32 wrote:
This reminds me of a quote from a "get your colonoscopies old people" public service ads. An old lady in the commercial said "The colonoscopy came back clean and I was tickled."

Well done, Sap.

Aggs&Jazz12

Post by Aggs&Jazz12 » November 20th, 2018, 1:09 pm

29 min
24 pts (9/13fg, 6/6FT)
9 Reb
2 Ast
5 Blocks

When was the last time a big had a line even remotely close to that for USU? And against a quality team too!

nswaggie

Post by nswaggie » November 20th, 2018, 1:13 pm

dogie wrote:
November 20th, 2018, 12:52 pm
There were a few plays last night where Merrill and Queta isolated on one half of the floor and passed the ball in and out to each other, resulting in several easy layups on pick and roll or give and go plays.

There aren’t a lot of freshman 6’11” centers with enough basketball knowledge or instincts to make plays like that and the skill to finish them. But Queta has both, and Smith will help him develop over the next couple of years. He reminds me of when the Aggies used to play Pape Sow of Fullerton State about 15 years ago. The great thing is that there is a good foundation to build on.
I was going to make a similar post. A play that sticks out in my mind was Queta rolling to the basket after both defenders stayed with Merrill. Merrill sent a nice bounce pass to Queta who gathered it cleanly at his waist while moving in for the layup. The play was amazing. Based on the first few games I didn’t think Queta had that in him, was fun to watch. Hopefully soon he will be hammering it down in lieu of the layup.

Ainge also underthrew Queta on a lob from the top of they key that would have been another thing of beauty.

I did think Ainge played his best game as an Aggie last night so credit to him for battling.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » November 20th, 2018, 1:22 pm

MrBiggle wrote:
November 20th, 2018, 12:46 pm
treesap32 wrote:
Dang man, how old are you?

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » November 20th, 2018, 3:37 pm

My favorite moment of the night may have been when Queta hit that open 12-15 foot jump shot from the right side with ease. It was a thing a beauty from a guy that big.....

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » November 20th, 2018, 4:41 pm

6-6 from foul line is impressive, most bigs suck at the line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dogie

Post by dogie » November 20th, 2018, 5:30 pm

Jjoey53 wrote:
November 20th, 2018, 4:41 pm

He missed his first free throw but got a do-over as a result of a lane violation.

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » November 20th, 2018, 5:48 pm

The most impressive thing to me was him staying out of foul trouble. SM kept driving to the basket and Queta did his job and jumped straight up with out fouling most of the time. He blocked 5 shots but influenced at least 10 more. He played excellent defense. Looks like he's been well coached, don't know if that's something he brought with him or if our coaches has been working with him on it. Either way well done. He has great hands for big as well, something we rarely see around here.

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » November 20th, 2018, 5:54 pm

dogie wrote:
Jjoey53 wrote:
November 20th, 2018, 4:41 pm

He missed his first free throw but got a do-over as a result of a lane violation.
It didn’t show in stat sheet, it didn’t happen. Actually the whole team is making foul shots this year, much improved.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » November 20th, 2018, 6:38 pm

Blitz79 wrote:
November 20th, 2018, 5:48 pm
The most impressive thing to me was him staying out of foul trouble. SM kept driving to the basket and Queta did his job and jumped straight up with out fouling most of the time. He blocked 5 shots but influenced at least 10 more. He played excellent defense. Looks like he's been well coached, don't know if that's something he brought with him or if our coaches has been working with him on it. Either way well done. He has great hands for big as well, something we rarely see around here.
He’s a good passer too. Pretty high ceiling for him I think.....

ThunderAggie

Post by ThunderAggie » November 21st, 2018, 5:02 pm

Not sure if anyone has put this....but Herald Journal did an interview with Neemias after the St. Mary's game. Seems like a nice guy and love his attitude of making people believe in us! GO AGGIES!

Rabidchild

Post by Rabidchild » November 22nd, 2018, 1:41 am

dogie wrote:
November 20th, 2018, 12:52 pm

Great comparison with Pape Sow! One of the things that impressed me the most about Queta was his footwork. I moved around with ease and put himself in good position to influence shots, block shots, get rebounds, and do all of the above without being in the way or getting whistled for unnecessary fouls. Tonight vs. ASU, he did seem to be rattle a little bit by the size and strength of a couple of the larger Sun Devils, and he was also frustrated with a couple of questionable fouls that went against him, but I think that today's game will prove to be a great learning experience for him. I'm excited to see how he develops.

I'm a reasonable man, get off my case.

Locked Previous topicNext topic