New Commit

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Donald_Sullivan
Has thanked: 0

Re: New Commit

Post by Donald_Sullivan » July 16th, 2018, 9:36 am

BLUERUFiO wrote:
July 16th, 2018, 8:26 am
This guy needs to be eating Aggie ice cream for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

I like the highlight tape, but, I’d like to watch a full game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nhlq3QNM14g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjk2HHheuzU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUks-5z3ka0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb2WgskaWYI

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » July 16th, 2018, 10:55 am

Thanks!

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

Chupamedia

Post by Chupamedia » July 16th, 2018, 11:22 am

I think this is a good pick up - I’m in the camp that believes we may need to find big guys that need to develop because Duke seems to keep beating us on recruiting the big guy who already has all the skills necessary for the NBA. Nice pick up coach we need some size quickly

thansen

Post by thansen » July 17th, 2018, 1:35 pm

Chupamedia wrote:
July 16th, 2018, 11:22 am
I think this is a good pick up - I’m in the camp that believes we may need to find big guys that need to develop because Duke seems to keep beating us on recruiting the big guy who already has all the skills necessary for the NBA. Nice pick up coach we need some size quickly
Hopefully Coach Smith can help him develop some muscle, strength, physicality, speed, and jumping ability before his senior season because those are the attributes our recruit is majorly lacking. His skills are the least of my worries. Our last big was just as tall but was stronger and faster and the MWC was more than he could handle. Hopefully this one works out.

gomretat

Post by gomretat » July 17th, 2018, 2:11 pm

thansen wrote:
July 17th, 2018, 1:35 pm
Chupamedia wrote:
Hopefully Coach Smith can help him develop some muscle, strength, physicality, speed, and jumping ability before his senior season because those are the attributes our recruit is majorly lacking. His skills are the least of my worries. Our last big was just as tall but was stronger and faster and the MWC was more than he could handle. Hopefully this one works out.
Very similar to the situation and logic that was used when we brought in Norbert

Donald_Sullivan

Post by Donald_Sullivan » July 17th, 2018, 5:30 pm

Chupamedia wrote:
I may be way off here, but he doesn't look like a player that's close to being D1. Not just MW level, but any D1 level. So unless he makes some incredible improvement in a short period of time, he won't see the court for a couple of years. From what I see there, he wouldn't start on a lot of JC teams right now, and his game is no where near as advanced as the 2 JC transfers that were signed this spring.

thansen

Post by thansen » July 17th, 2018, 5:45 pm

Donald_Sullivan wrote:
July 17th, 2018, 5:30 pm
Chupamedia wrote:
I may be way off here, but he doesn't look like a player that's close to being D1. Not just MW level, but any D1 level. So unless he makes some incredible improvement in a short period of time, he won't see the court for a couple of years. From what I see there, he wouldn't start on a lot of JC teams right now, and his game is no where near as advanced as the 2 JC transfers that were signed this spring.
I agree with everything you mentioned. I really hope we're wrong.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » July 18th, 2018, 1:21 pm

Don't worry guys, coach knows what he's doing. He totally proves it with his talking points, enthusiasm, and 20 wins at the Thomas W. Stewart college of Kalamazoo, Michigan.

We're going to mop the floor with the MWC.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » July 18th, 2018, 2:10 pm

brownjeans wrote:
July 18th, 2018, 1:21 pm
Don't worry guys, coach knows what he's doing. He totally proves it with his talking points, enthusiasm, and 20 wins at the Thomas W. Stewart college of Kalamazoo, Michigan.

Why the need to dog on Coach Smith at this point? They haven't even played a game yet and he's starting well behind the race. He took over a not very good team that had some key players transfer out and was already behind the game in recruiting.

stang

Post by stang » July 18th, 2018, 5:56 pm

brownjeans wrote:Don't worry guys, coach knows what he's doing. He totally proves it with his talking points, enthusiasm, and 20 wins at the Thomas W. Stewart college of Kalamazoo, Michigan.

I hate this forum.

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » July 18th, 2018, 6:24 pm

Not the forum, but the outspoken negative Nancy’s. I don’t know much and was underwhelmed by the highlight, but I couldn’t hack jr jazz coaching when the parents knew way more than me, but offered no help arranging practice facilities or to actually come to practice and assist.

I’ll leave it to the people that get way more than I do each year.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » July 18th, 2018, 9:04 pm

WAAggie wrote:Not the forum, but the outspoken negative Nancy’s. I don’t know much and was underwhelmed by the highlight, but I couldn’t hack jr jazz coaching when the parents knew way more than me, but offered no help arranging practice facilities or to actually come to practice and assist.

It’s fine to be negative, but not when you take into account all the factors Coach Smith had to hamper this recruiting class. That and he hasn’t even coached a single game at USU. The only mode to be in is wait and see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » July 18th, 2018, 10:30 pm

swishh_15 wrote:
July 18th, 2018, 2:10 pm
brownjeans wrote:

Why the need to dog on Coach Smith at this point? They haven't even played a game yet and he's starting well behind the race. He took over a not very good team that had some key players transfer out and was already behind the game in recruiting.
I agree, they haven't played a game yet. So I'm not dogging Coach. Nor am I putting him on a pedestal. I'm waiting, hopefully.
What I am doing is teasing those who think he's amazing before a single game is played and get angry whenever anyone expresses any concerns.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » July 18th, 2018, 10:31 pm

Madmartigan wrote:
July 18th, 2018, 9:04 pm
WAAggie wrote:Not the forum, but the outspoken negative Nancy’s. I don’t know much and was underwhelmed by the highlight, but I couldn’t hack jr jazz coaching when the parents knew way more than me, but offered no help arranging practice facilities or to actually come to practice and assist.

It’s fine to be negative, but not when you take into account all the factors Coach Smith had to hamper this recruiting class. That and he hasn’t even coached a single game at USU. The only mode to be in is wait and see.
Agreed

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » July 19th, 2018, 6:49 am

brownjeans wrote:
July 18th, 2018, 10:30 pm
swishh_15 wrote:
brownjeans wrote:

I agree, they haven't played a game yet. So I'm not dogging Coach. Nor am I putting him on a pedestal. I'm waiting, hopefully.
What I am doing is teasing those who think he's amazing before a single game is played and get angry whenever anyone expresses any concerns.
Really? That was your intent? It's certainly not how the post comes across.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

Den Stew
Been thanked: 0

Post by Den Stew » July 19th, 2018, 6:54 am

Hi, I recently found a great site where there are results, statistics, standards and tournament grids for events around the world including basketball. Recommend https://777score.com/basketball

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » July 19th, 2018, 8:15 am

Den Stew wrote:
July 19th, 2018, 6:54 am
Hi, I recently found a great site where there are results, statistics, standards and tournament grids for events around the world including basketball. Recommend https://777score.com/basketball
I'm not interested if cricket isn't listed.......

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » July 21st, 2018, 11:09 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
July 19th, 2018, 6:49 am
brownjeans wrote:
July 18th, 2018, 10:30 pm
swishh_15 wrote:
brownjeans wrote:

Really? That was your intent? It's certainly not how the post comes across.
I told you my intent (see bold text)

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » July 21st, 2018, 11:31 pm

Okay. So you told us your intent. To this reader, it comes across more like a snarky, sarcastic attack on a coach who hasn't coached a single game for the Aggies.

To my knowledge, no poster has suggested that Coach Smith is absolutely going to be "amazing" or the immediate savior of the Aggie program. Many posters have been hopeful that he can turn the program around in 2-3 years, but I haven't seen much more optimism than that.

On the flip side, it seems that we have had a number of snarky posts by supposed Aggie fans who act like we can already declare Smith a failure based on recruiting, scheduling, his past record, his "talking points," his "enthusiasm," or any other BS posters want to spout based on nothing but speculation.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » July 23rd, 2018, 11:34 am

ChicAggie wrote:
July 21st, 2018, 11:31 pm
Okay. So you told us your intent. To this reader, it comes across more like a snarky, sarcastic attack on a coach who hasn't coached a single game for the Aggies.

To my knowledge, no poster has suggested that Coach Smith is absolutely going to be "amazing" or the immediate savior of the Aggie program. Many posters have been hopeful that he can turn the program around in 2-3 years, but I haven't seen much more optimism than that.

On the flip side, it seems that we have had a number of snarky posts by supposed Aggie fans who act like we can already declare Smith a failure based on recruiting, scheduling, his past record, his "talking points," his "enthusiasm," or any other BS posters want to spout based on nothing but speculation.
I've seen many expressing great excitement at Smith's hire. I've seen others express a wait-and-see attitude (matching my own). A few have expressed concerns from time to time and then these people get blasted. My post was meant to troll those people more than seem anti-Smith. I don't think Smith is above criticism though. I mean, neither Smith's credentials nor his activities since his hire are beyond criticism. But I don't know if he's a bad coach (likely not, he's done better than bad), and I don't know if he's a great coach (likely not, there aren't many "great" coaches). He seems similar to the others who he competed with during the hire. I disagree with those who think he was a slam dunk (can't see anything to support that). Still, I think everyone should wait to see how this season goes.

The thing I haven't seen is a lot of anti-Smith sentiment. Which is nice, especially by comparison to how Duryea was received. But I guess this forum is just going to be about diametrically opposed hyperbolic discourse like everything else these days. We're going to be either all positive and shouting down all criticism, or we're going to be all negative and shouting down all praise. I guess reason and rational discourse is dead in America. I'll have to get used to it. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to tell some neighbor kids to get off my lawn.

Chupamedia

Post by Chupamedia » July 23rd, 2018, 12:00 pm

brownjeans wrote:
ChicAggie wrote:

I've seen many expressing great excitement at Smith's hire. I've seen others express a wait-and-see attitude (matching my own). A few have expressed concerns from time to time and then these people get blasted. My post was meant to troll those people more than seem anti-Smith. I don't think Smith is above criticism though. I mean, neither Smith's credentials nor his activities since his hire are beyond criticism. But I don't know if he's a bad coach (likely not, he's done better than bad), and I don't know if he's a great coach (likely not, there aren't many "great" coaches). He seems similar to the others who he competed with during the hire. I disagree with those who think he was a slam dunk (can't see anything to support that). Still, I think everyone should wait to see how this season goes.

The thing I haven't seen is a lot of anti-Smith sentiment. Which is nice, especially by comparison to how Duryea was received. But I guess this forum is just going to be about diametrically opposed hyperbolic discourse like everything else these days. We're going to be either all positive and shouting down all criticism, or we're going to be all negative and shouting down all praise. I guess reason and rational discourse is dead in America. I'll have to get used to it. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to tell some neighbor kids to get off my lawn.
I have to agree that your comments have been fairly negative and snarky and the reply to being called on it seems pretty defensive - I’m with the majority posters, excited for a change and will wait and see (but hope) if this is the right guy. While I’ve seen some excitement for a change in coaching I haven’t seen anyone that has called Smith “amazing” or thinks this is going to be an amazing season. In fact there were many more posters who were delusionally behind Duryea no matter how poorly he performed. I think because Smith is an outsider luckily we don’t have that fanaticism where people have made him the answer before he coaches. It’s just that most of the fan base is willing to give him the chance to at least coach one game in the spectrum before they start shredding him. There are still some deep feelings I suppose for those who were friends with Tim and didn’t want to see the program move on the way it did.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » July 23rd, 2018, 4:50 pm

Chupamedia wrote:
July 23rd, 2018, 12:00 pm
brownjeans wrote:
ChicAggie wrote:

I have to agree that your comments have been fairly negative and snarky and the reply to being called on it seems pretty defensive - I’m with the majority posters, excited for a change and will wait and see (but hope) if this is the right guy. While I’ve seen some excitement for a change in coaching I haven’t seen anyone that has called Smith “amazing” or thinks this is going to be an amazing season. In fact there were many more posters who were delusionally behind Duryea no matter how poorly he performed. I think because Smith is an outsider luckily we don’t have that fanaticism where people have made him the answer before he coaches. It’s just that most of the fan base is willing to give him the chance to at least coach one game in the spectrum before they start shredding him. There are still some deep feelings I suppose for those who were friends with Tim and didn’t want to see the program move on the way it did.
My comments about what? Everything? Maybe I am snarky and negative about everything. But as for Coach Smith I think I've been pretty consistent about my wait-and-see attitude with Smith. I'm neither impressed nor disappointed with the hire. But like I said, people these days seem to have a need to categorize people to the polar extremes to make sense of the world. Nuance is too hard to grasp. I suppose my lack of praise would be characterized as negative to such. But it's not. I'm probably a victim of the Duryea era as I'm pretty apathetic these days.
Last edited by brownjeans on July 23rd, 2018, 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rAggie

Post by rAggie » July 23rd, 2018, 4:51 pm

Pretty disgusting reading some of the incredibly bad takes in this forum.

If you knew some of the schools who were in on Queta and the extent to which Coach Smith went to make sure we got him, you'd all be talking about him like we'd just got a five-star game changer.

Showing my True Colors since 2022

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » July 23rd, 2018, 4:53 pm

rAggie wrote:
July 23rd, 2018, 4:51 pm
Pretty disgusting reading some of the incredibly bad takes in this forum.

If you knew some of the schools who were in on Queta and the extent to which Coach Smith went to make sure we got him, you'd all be talking about him like we'd just got a five-star game changer.
Yes, Chupa and Chic, I see what you mean there aren't any posts about Smith being amazing before we see a single game.

Hmm, maybe I am too snarky and negative.

imanaggie

Post by imanaggie » July 23rd, 2018, 5:27 pm

One word...Barnaba.

rAggie

Post by rAggie » July 23rd, 2018, 5:50 pm

@brownjeans

All I am saying is we shouldn't get too high or too low before we see an exhibition, or a game, or even a whole season. The reality is it is going to take at least two seasons before we start to pass judgment here.

Based on early indications, I have no reason to think anything other than we are in for a treat with this coaching staff. The energy is high, the players love the staff, coach and his wife are extremely personable and likable and getting involved in the community, and that's what we have for now. I suspect this year will be a rough year, but my gut is it will be a lot like Quin Snyder's first year with the Jazz, we're going to see a lot of things that give us reason to be optimistic, and it will be Year 2 where we start to see some breakthroughs. I'm willing to make a $100 even money bet with anyone right now that this team makes the NCAA tournament within the next three seasons.

Showing my True Colors since 2022

usufan5477

Post by usufan5477 » July 23rd, 2018, 6:13 pm

Your kidding right. I will take that bet as long as the tournament stays at 68 teams. Everyone should take this bet.

Chupamedia

Post by Chupamedia » July 23rd, 2018, 6:30 pm

rAggie wrote:@brownjeans

All I am saying is we shouldn't get too high or too low before we see an exhibition, or a game, or even a whole season. The reality is it is going to take at least two seasons before we start to pass judgment here.

Based on early indications, I have no reason to think anything other than we are in for a treat with this coaching staff. The energy is high, the players love the staff, coach and his wife are extremely personable and likable and getting involved in the community, and that's what we have for now. I suspect this year will be a rough year, but my gut is it will be a lot like Quin Snyder's first year with the Jazz, we're going to see a lot of things that give us reason to be optimistic, and it will be Year 2 where we start to see some breakthroughs. I'm willing to make a $100 even money bet with anyone right now that this team makes the NCAA tournament within the next three seasons.
Brownjeans - you have my apologies. I have not been on as much lately and there are obviously at least some fans that are overhyping Smith, I stand corrected

Donald_Sullivan

Post by Donald_Sullivan » July 23rd, 2018, 6:49 pm

The new staff has done a better than average recruiting job considering the late start, and I think they'll do better than the last staff in less time. The JC recruits, Knight III and Davis, look good. I even like the two freshman. T. Knight could turn into a solid pure PG, and Fakira a solid post player. I'm just not impressed by Queta. The HS senior to be that we offered earlier this month, Olamuyiwa, is a better player. That was a good offer. That doesn't make me negative, it means that I live in reality, not some fantasy world where everyone agrees on everything.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » July 23rd, 2018, 7:45 pm

I hope the signings this offseason aren’t reflective of the type of players we’ll be signing under Smith, as we seem to be carrying on the tradition from Stew’s later years and the Duryea years of (other than a few notable exceptions like McEwen and Brock Miller) signing guys that none of our peers were after.

In football we seem to regularly beat out Nevada, CSU, Wyoming, New Mexico, and even the occasional lower tier P5 school like Wazzu or Oregon St. for recruits.

I know Stanford offered Miller and Wake Forest really wanted McEwen, but I can’t think of any other recent basketball recruit we’ve landed that a conference mate or P5 school wanted.

Any ideas on why this is the case?

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » July 23rd, 2018, 9:29 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:
July 23rd, 2018, 7:45 pm
I hope the signings this offseason aren’t reflective of the type of players we’ll be signing under Smith, as we seem to be carrying on the tradition from Stew’s later years and the Duryea years of (other than a few notable exceptions like McEwen and Brock Miller) signing guys that none of our peers were after.

In football we seem to regularly beat out Nevada, CSU, Wyoming, New Mexico, and even the occasional lower tier P5 school like Wazzu or Oregon St. for recruits.

I know Stanford offered Miller and Wake Forest really wanted McEwen, but I can’t think of any other recent basketball recruit we’ve landed that a conference mate or P5 school wanted.

Well, this year it's likely because we brought in a brand new coach and staff after the season already ended and expected him to revamp the team in a couple months during the offseason in the late signing period when most of the great players had already been snatched up.

Or not?

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » July 23rd, 2018, 10:27 pm

rAggie wrote:
July 23rd, 2018, 5:50 pm
@brownjeans

I agree. And this sounds much more reasonable than the way I read your previous post.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » July 23rd, 2018, 11:28 pm

treesap32 wrote:
July 23rd, 2018, 9:29 pm
ineptimusprime wrote:
July 23rd, 2018, 7:45 pm

Well, this year it's likely because we brought in a brand new coach and staff after the season already ended and expected him to revamp the team in a couple months during the offseason in the late signing period when most of the great players had already been snatched up.

Or not?
Just re-read the OP — didn’t realize at first that this guy was for the 2018 year and will be on the team in the fall.

However, that doesn’t explain the 5-8 years of overall (I can't express myself without swearing) basketball recruiting. I’ll certainly give Smith the benefit of the doubt given when he got started, but it’s just weird that we’ve recruited on par with our peers in football in that same period but haven’t really come close in basketball (with a few notable outliers).

utaggies

Post by utaggies » July 24th, 2018, 2:17 am

usufan5477 wrote:
July 23rd, 2018, 6:13 pm
Your kidding right. I will take that bet as long as the tournament stays at 68 teams. Everyone should take this bet.
Wow, you were away for 4 months and came back a pessimist. What happened?

usufan5477

Post by usufan5477 » July 24th, 2018, 7:17 am

Let's make that bet a $1,000.

Locked Previous topicNext topic