Tauriawn Knight

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
bluegrouse

Re: Tauriawn Knight

Post by bluegrouse » April 24th, 2018, 9:01 pm

Cool. Another thread hijacked to savage one of our own players. Good times in Aggie land. Who wouldn’t want to play here?

Donald_Sullivan
Has thanked: 0

Post by Donald_Sullivan » April 25th, 2018, 1:13 pm

The staff is recruiting another PG named Knight, John Knight from SW Mississippi JC. He's a freshman full qualifier so he'd be eligible to play the coming season. Don't know if we've offered but he's also being recruited by St. Bonaventure and New Mexico. Not sure how to post a youtube video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWJhd-YndfE

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » April 25th, 2018, 1:45 pm

Donald_Sullivan wrote:
April 25th, 2018, 1:13 pm
The staff is recruiting another PG named Knight, John Knight from SW Mississippi JC. He's a freshman full qualifier so he'd be eligible to play the coming season. Don't know if we've offered but he's also being recruited by St. Bonaventure and New Mexico. Not sure how to post a youtube video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWJhd-YndfE
Thanks the info! I like this kid a lot and think he'd be a very solid pick up at this point. Hopefully the fact that the starting job would basically be his to lose will help lure him.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » April 25th, 2018, 2:27 pm

He looks impressive and looks to be a MWC level athlete.

gametime12
Been thanked: 0

Post by gametime12 » April 25th, 2018, 2:31 pm

Didn't shoot very well from 3 or overall, but man he's a great athlete. 4 assists per game is really solid, too. He'd be a nice compliment to Sam in the backcourt.

http://njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2017-18/di ... ghtiii0db3

ProfessorChaos

Post by ProfessorChaos » April 25th, 2018, 2:41 pm

bluegrouse wrote:
April 24th, 2018, 9:01 pm
Cool. Another thread hijacked to savage one of our own players. Good times in Aggie land. Who wouldn’t want to play here?
+1

It's almost like there's an eagerness among many to just completely trash our own players. If they're a highly rated recruit and put up impressive numbers, people are looking for character flaws. If they're a lowly rated recruit and don't light it up as a true freshman, they get relentlessly s*** all over.

I bet somebody like Sam Merrill LOVES seeing the constant trashing of his teammates like they get over here.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » April 25th, 2018, 2:51 pm

ProfessorChaos wrote:
April 25th, 2018, 2:41 pm
bluegrouse wrote:
+1

It's almost like there's an eagerness among many to just completely trash our own players. If they're a highly rated recruit and put up impressive numbers, people are looking for character flaws. If they're a lowly rated recruit and don't light it up as a true freshman, they get relentlessly s*** all over.

I bet somebody like Sam Merrill LOVES seeing the constant trashing of his teammates like they get over here.
How about when it's completely obvious before the kid even comes to Utah State that the kid shouldn't be offered a scholarship, has no other D1 offers, and is only getting an offer because of his last name? And when people point out the blatantly obvious before it even happens, the kid has episodes of pouting on the bench, leaves his team early during a game, and puts up insanely horrible statistics--then can we express disappointment the coach chose to give them a scholarship? Or not even then?

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 25th, 2018, 2:57 pm

swishh_15 wrote:
April 25th, 2018, 2:51 pm
ProfessorChaos wrote:
bluegrouse wrote:
+1

How about when it's completely obvious before the kid even comes to Utah State that the kid shouldn't be offered a scholarship, has no other D1 offers, and is only getting an offer because of his last name? And when people point out the blatantly obvious before it even happens, the kid has episodes of pouting on the bench, leaves his team early during a game, and puts up insanely horrible statistics--then can we express disappointment the coach chose to give them a scholarship? Or not even then?
Game, set, match to swishh_15

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 25th, 2018, 3:23 pm

swishh_15 wrote:
ProfessorChaos wrote:
bluegrouse wrote:
+1

Yeah I don't get what people expect Aggie fans to discuss on here. We haven't been very good in a while. I'm sure every fan would love to just endlessly praise the players and coaches nonstop, but that has not been our reality. It is like when Stanford and others said we couldn't criticize the Duryea hire the last couple of years because "it was done and time to move on." Sorry the hire of Duryea was a major decision that was not in the best interest of USU basketball and fans are right to call Barnes out on it.

aggieguy13

Post by aggieguy13 » April 25th, 2018, 3:48 pm

Given a choice between bashing an Aggie student-athlete and not saying anything at all, well, I'd probably choose the latter. That's just me though.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » April 25th, 2018, 4:11 pm

ProfessorChaos wrote:
bluegrouse wrote:
+1

You mean Sam “Cream Puff” Merrill?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hail Aggies!

Aggie-Man

Post by Aggie-Man » April 25th, 2018, 4:24 pm

"You mean Sam “Cream Puff” Merrill?"

What does that even mean?

Zaggie07

Post by Zaggie07 » April 25th, 2018, 5:19 pm

aggieguy13 wrote:Given a choice between bashing an Aggie student-athlete and not saying anything at all, well, I'd probably choose the latter. That's just me though.
I'm with this guy.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

ProfessorChaos

Post by ProfessorChaos » April 25th, 2018, 5:19 pm

swishh_15 wrote:
ProfessorChaos wrote:
bluegrouse wrote:
+1

So bemoan the coach who offered that scholarship instead of the 20-year-old who just spent two years away from playing basketball and was thrown into a dumpster fire. Is he supposed to turn his nose up at a D-1 offer and dub himself as undeserving of it?

His year wasn't far off from Diogo Brito as a freshman, and Diogo wasn't coming back from a two-year hiatus away from the game. Brito isn't nearly a star by any means, but he certainly improved in year two. If the new staff hasn't seen a reason to push him out of the program, then maybe they see some potential for growth, as a person and as a player.

And if he does leave elsewhere, what good does it do to sling more s*** toward him on his way out the door?

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 25th, 2018, 5:24 pm

aggieguy13 wrote:
April 25th, 2018, 3:48 pm
Given a choice between bashing an Aggie student-athlete and not saying anything at all, well, I'd probably choose the latter. That's just me though.
Good luck getting a message board of fans who watch their team religiously to not ever say anything negative about players. Just isn't a realistic goal. When a player doesn't play well fans are going to talk about it. Just the way it is.

Zaggie07

Post by Zaggie07 » April 25th, 2018, 5:29 pm

Aggie in Hawaii wrote:
aggieguy13 wrote:
Good luck getting a message board of fans who watch their team religiously to not ever say anything negative about players. Just isn't a realistic goal. When a player doesn't play well fans are going to talk about it. Just the way it is.
I would say bashing is different than "to not ever say anything negative about players," but I could be wrong.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Maverik_Aggie

Post by Maverik_Aggie » April 25th, 2018, 7:08 pm

aggieguy13 wrote:
Yeah, you're perfect. We should all be like you!

stang

Post by stang » April 25th, 2018, 7:36 pm

Maverik_Aggie wrote:
aggieguy13 wrote:
Yeah, you're perfect. We should all be like you!
Or...ya know...just TRY to not be an (I can't express myself without swearing)? I know that’s a foreign concept to you, but it’s worth a shot.

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » April 25th, 2018, 8:22 pm

Agreed, chaos.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » April 25th, 2018, 8:31 pm

I can not wait for the Sam vs thread which is sure to start if we got a decent player to match him up with, of course no matter what he does Sam will be 100x better.

ProfessorChaos

Post by ProfessorChaos » April 25th, 2018, 8:57 pm

Aggie in Hawaii wrote:
April 25th, 2018, 5:24 pm
aggieguy13 wrote:
And what about a player like Jalen Moore? A guy who had an absolutely fantastic career at USU, but if you go off the vocal majority of people on this board, he was somehow a disappointment. Labeled as a soft player who never reached some imaginary unreachable potential that those around here thought he SHOULD be, so he got based for it for the bulk of his playing career.

Koby Mcewen comes here and has two fantastic seasons, but even before his transfer announcement, the bulk of the talk on him is about how he's "selfish, not a leader, immature, etc". Narratives that come out of nowhere and snowball into acceptance as if they were common knowledge about the kid.

I used to think behavior like that toward college athletes was limited to a place like Cougarboard, but it's become the norm around here too the last handful of years.

Main point being, don't be s***ty to other people.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » April 25th, 2018, 10:36 pm

swishh_15 wrote:
ProfessorChaos wrote:
bluegrouse wrote:
+1

It’s one thing to say someone maybe should be counseled out, it’s another thing entirely to constantly mock and make fun of your own player. Just just dick-ish.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » April 25th, 2018, 10:37 pm

aggieguy13 wrote:
Exactly.

ChicagoAggie

Tauriawn Knight

Post by ChicagoAggie » April 25th, 2018, 10:46 pm

ProfessorChaos wrote:
Aggie in Hawaii wrote:
aggieguy13 wrote:
And what about a player like Jalen Moore? A guy who had an absolutely fantastic career at USU, but if you go off the vocal majority of people on this board, he was somehow a disappointment. Labeled as a soft player who never reached some imaginary unreachable potential that those around here thought he SHOULD be, so he got based for it for the bulk of his playing career.

Koby Mcewen comes here and has two fantastic seasons, but even before his transfer announcement, the bulk of the talk on him is about how he's "selfish, not a leader, immature, etc". Narratives that come out of nowhere and snowball into acceptance as if they were common knowledge about the kid.

I used to think behavior like that toward college athletes was limited to a place like Cougarboard, but it's become the norm around here too the last handful of years.

Most of the people here you refer to in your post belong to the Boogar board and I think are Boogar fans.

WAaggieFan

Post by WAaggieFan » April 25th, 2018, 10:52 pm

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » April 25th, 2018, 10:57 pm

ProfessorChaos wrote:
Aggie in Hawaii wrote:
aggieguy13 wrote:

You’ve got the vocal majority confused with the vocal minority.

Posters on here have this tendency where they paint with a wide brush and lump a few vocal guys in with everybody and soon the “whole board thinks.....”.

Jjoey53

Post by Jjoey53 » April 25th, 2018, 10:58 pm

WAaggieFan wrote:

Now that was an epic response.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » April 25th, 2018, 11:01 pm

I’m not one to censor or tell people what to post, but Ainge does seem to take an unfair amount of criticism around here. He’s still an Aggie.

He’s a freshman who didn’t really even see the court that much. There are obviously some things to criticize but at this point it seems a little disproportionate.

ChicagoAggie

Tauriawn Knight

Post by ChicagoAggie » April 25th, 2018, 11:16 pm

2004AG wrote:I’m not one to censor or tell people what to post, but Ainge does seem to take an unfair amount of criticism around here. He’s still an Aggie.

He’s a freshman who didn’t really even see the court that much. There are obviously some things to criticize but at this point it seems a little disproportionate.

Last edited by ChicagoAggie on April 25th, 2018, 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » April 25th, 2018, 11:23 pm

ProfessorChaos wrote:
Aggie in Hawaii wrote:
aggieguy13 wrote:

Trying to put my finger on what the two had in common... Can’t quite figure it out...

Hail Aggies!

ChicagoAggie

Post by ChicagoAggie » April 25th, 2018, 11:24 pm

ChicagoAggie wrote:
2004AG wrote:I’m not one to censor or tell people what to post, but Ainge does seem to take an unfair amount of criticism around here. He’s still an Aggie.

Unless the poster has Stanford in his/her name.

Exactly what criticism do you have for young Ainge's basketball skills?

I should add...he is LDS which is something we find important on this board? Ainge will probably counsel himself out due to the fact we don't have a good LDS coach on staff.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » April 25th, 2018, 11:24 pm

ChicagoAggie wrote:

Unless the poster has Stanford in his/her name.

Exactly what criticism do you have for young Ainge's basketball skills?

I should add...he is LDS which is something we find important on this board?

Storming up the tunnel before the game is over and leaving his teammates would be an example of something to criticize.

I didn’t say anything about his skills. I haven’t seen him play enough to have an opinion.

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » April 26th, 2018, 12:12 am

ProfessorChaos wrote:
April 25th, 2018, 5:19 pm
swishh_15 wrote:
ProfessorChaos wrote:
bluegrouse wrote:
+1

So bemoan the coach who offered that scholarship instead of the 20-year-old who just spent two years away from playing basketball and was thrown into a dumpster fire. Is he supposed to turn his nose up at a D-1 offer and dub himself as undeserving of it?

His year wasn't far off from Diogo Brito as a freshman, and Diogo wasn't coming back from a two-year hiatus away from the game. Brito isn't nearly a star by any means, but he certainly improved in year two. If the new staff hasn't seen a reason to push him out of the program, then maybe they see some potential for growth, as a person and as a player.

And if he does leave elsewhere, what good does it do to sling more s*** toward him on his way out the door?
:golfclap: :golfclap: :golfclap:

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » April 26th, 2018, 12:24 am

The entitlement around here really is starting to make us look like BYU fans. Even if it's a "vocal minority", it's making us all look bad

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 26th, 2018, 12:26 am

ProfessorChaos wrote:
April 25th, 2018, 8:57 pm
Aggie in Hawaii wrote:
aggieguy13 wrote:

With any player there is debate of what is the fair level of criticism. Obviously certain players are going to get criticized more than others and some will experience unfair criticism based on their expectations. I honestly don't know why Ainge gets that much hate. I've never mentioned his name because I never expected anything from him. There is certainly a case to be made that people go to far or say things that aren't true. My point is that fans are going to criticize players, especially when the team is not winning. That is just natural behavior of fans on a message board. You are never going to stop it, hopefully you can keep it to the game and not have it go over the top.

Locked Previous topicNext topic