Duryea's contract

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
dyedblue

Re: Duryea's contract

Post by dyedblue » April 17th, 2018, 6:29 am

Even if Utah State is in the wrong in this one, he is getting $279-$379k not to coach for at least one year. That is plenty of time to go find a job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue » April 17th, 2018, 7:18 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
bigblue wrote:
April 16th, 2018, 8:09 pm
Good old Shawn Harrison got some comments from Duryea.

https://news.hjnews.com/logan_hj/dates- ... e6951.html

Interesting at the end, Craig Smith has a 5 year contract starting at $650,000 a year with a raise of $25,000 every year. No other contact details were given.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Why does Harrison say the typo will cost Tim $379,000 when everything else I've read says $279,000?

So Tim, his agent, (his wife), and his lawyer all failed to notice the start and end dates of the contract? Or the next paragraph which specified fiscal years? Are Tim's agent and lawyer also from the Duryea family?

And it's funny that now Tim "doesn't want to be taken advantage of" but he didn't seem to mind getting taken advantage of by San Jose St, Air Force, Portland St, Weber St, and Colorado State.

And his little dig about firing him with 2 years left on his contract being "short sighted decision", as if the University was acting in haste on this matter. The guy is just clueless. He actually believes he was doing a good job. :wtf: :wtf:

And because Utah State didn't call and correct the HJ on their article about the 5 year contract that's proof that Tim isn't the one left scratching his head? Guess what HJ, I'm sure no one at Utah State even read the article because it probably came out 7-10 days after the fact, and secondly, your articles are typically more like columns containing only the writer's opinion and few actual facts.

Another crap-tastic piece by Shawn about his golfing buddy Tim.
Contract stats he gets his base pay as well as the 100,000 a year for coach shows and other media related compensation. Paragraph 7 I believe.

I do agree with the rest of your post. He was very clueless to think his job was safe. Clueless about lots of aspects of his job.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » April 17th, 2018, 7:25 am

This whole issue feels like a microcosm of Duryea's coaching tenure.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » April 17th, 2018, 7:37 am

That's a terribly written article.

This sentence makes me cringe.
A contract dispute is being discussed by attorneys right now as Duryea got a lawyer after finding out the university was trying to say his contract was for one less year.
Shawn Harrison writes like a 15 year old girl talks.

"the university was trying to say"? ---- speaks for itself.
"for one less year" than what? One less year than Duryea expected? One less year than they initially verbally agreed to?

Just terrible.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » April 17th, 2018, 8:48 am

treesap32 wrote:
April 17th, 2018, 7:37 am
That's a terribly written article.

This sentence makes me cringe.
A contract dispute is being discussed by attorneys right now as Duryea got a lawyer after finding out the university was trying to say his contract was for one less year.
Shawn Harrison writes like a 15 year old girl talks.

"the university was trying to say"? ---- speaks for itself.
"for one less year" than what? One less year than Duryea expected? One less year than they initially verbally agreed to?

Just terrible.
Holy crap, that's awful.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

Donman

Post by Donman » April 17th, 2018, 9:23 am

Duryea's attorney during the contract negotiations.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » April 17th, 2018, 9:25 am

That was an awful way to start an article. It is also crazy to me that Duryea doesn’t seem to take any responsibility for the contract he reviewed and signed. Just another showing of his inability to sweat the details. No wonder he wasn’t successful as our head coach.

FormerlyVegasAggie71

Post by FormerlyVegasAggie71 » April 17th, 2018, 9:45 am

NVAggie wrote:
April 17th, 2018, 9:25 am
That was an awful way to start an article. It is also crazy to me that Duryea doesn’t seem to take any responsibility for the contract he reviewed and signed. Just another showing of his inability to sweat the details. No wonder he wasn’t successful as our head coach.
Yep -i'd have a little sympathy for him if he had reviewed this on his own, but he admitted he had his attorney and agent look at this. It's a 4 page document - not like it's a 200 page complex contract that had to be reviewed and signed in an hour. They had plenty of time to review and catch this. Everyone on this board that read the contract spotted it immediately.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » April 17th, 2018, 9:50 am

It is amazing that a university would have such a poorly worded contract, that Tim's agent, and lawyer could not see the possible problem, a 10th grade student should be able to spot a problem in the wording. Why does the contract not just say his contract goes from March 2015 to June 30 2019 ? So much for having your attorney look at a contract. Poor lawyers all over this.
Last edited by oleblu111 on April 17th, 2018, 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » April 17th, 2018, 9:52 am

"Duryea said he did not catch it; neither did a lawyer he paid to review the contract or his agent. But everyone at the university at the time said the contract was for five years, and that was in print, on the radio and on television. USU never contacted The Herald Journal to say that was incorrect."

So it is USU's job to correct the HJ every time they get their facts wrong?

Yikes, that is pathetic. How about you worry about reading your own contract to make sure it is correct.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

stang

Post by stang » April 17th, 2018, 10:58 am

I’ve read many of the other USU coaching contracts and they are all very similar to this one. Phrasing, length, paragraph structure, etc. in the other contracts are almost identical to this one. Just for what it’s worth.

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » April 17th, 2018, 1:23 pm

The contract term runs during five different years: 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019
I do think the wording, "term of five (5) years" should have been stated differently as some have suggested.

Despite the questionable wording, if I'm doing the math (and clearly we are when money is involved) and there is a defined start and end date (duration of 51 months), that is what I would use for the calculation.

If today someone told me that we would receive an answer in 3 months, on July 6th, 2018, I wouldn't interpret that as meaning we would receive an answer on July 17th, 2018.

AggiePride
Has thanked: 0

Post by AggiePride » April 17th, 2018, 2:14 pm

TrueAG wrote:
April 17th, 2018, 1:51 am
Once again, how did we end up with this buffoon? Clueless!
At the risk of derailing this thread on Tim's contract, I recently heard something interesting about how Tim got hired. Some of this is well known, but some of it was new and filled in some gaps for me on this whole thing.

Apparently, when Stew retired, Scott Barnes told some of the key players on the team that no one on staff would be hired and asked them to help keep the team together until they found the next coach. In the mean time, Tim (knowing he wasn't going to get a shot) took matters in his own hands and told the players he had recruited they would probably be let go with a new coach. He then called a team meeting and asked all the players who wanted him to be the coach to raise their hands. Tim's recruits raised their hands. Other players, including the few key players/team leaders that Barnes had told Duryea wouldn't be the coach didn't and thought it was a desperate act. Well, somehow between Tim getting some player support and other coaches declining the job, it worked out for Tim.

Apparently, what followed was Tim holding a serious grudge against these key players and showing that grudge in practices. Lew Evans and Collette were both in Tim's dog house for not voting for him and we know both left the program. The known incident where Lew Evans got socked by Rector was a result of Duryea letting "his guys" have their way and not protecting the players he had a grudge against. When it happened, Collette was pissed at how Tim let it happen and what was going on and confronted him about it on the court. That was maybe when he decided he was going to stick it to Duryea when he got the chance.

I don't know if everything here is spot on true. We do know Collette cited the sucker punch and Duryea as reasons he was leaving. I've hated Collette for the way he left as much as anyone, but this has made me think that maybe Duryea was the real D-bag.Tim seems like a nice guy and I've talked to former players that do like him, but none that thought he was the right guy for the job. I'm very glad we have closed that chapter.
Last edited by AggiePride on April 17th, 2018, 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » April 17th, 2018, 2:16 pm

AggiePride wrote:
April 17th, 2018, 2:14 pm
TrueAG wrote:
At the risk of derailing this thread on Tim's contract, I recently heard something interesting about how Tim got hired. Some of this is well known, but some of it was new and filled in some gaps for me on this whole thing.

Apparently, when Stew retired, Scott Barnes told some of the key players on the team that no one on staff would be hired and asked them to help keep the team together until they found the next coach. In the mean time, Tim (knowing he wasn't going to get a shot) took matters in his own hands and told the players he had recruited they would probably be let go with a new coach. He then called a team meeting and asked all the players who wanted him to be the coach to raise their hands. Tim's recruits raised their hands. Other players, including the few key players/team leaders that Barnes had told Duryea wouldn't be the coach didn't for that reason and thought it was a desperate act. Well, somehow between Tim getting some player support and other coaches declining the job, it worked out for Tim.

Apparently, what followed was Tim holding a serious grudge against these key players and showing that grudge in practices. Lew Evans and Colette were both in Tim's dog house for not voting for him and we know both left the program. The known incident where Lew Evans got socked by Rector was a result of Duryea letting "his guys" have their way and not protecting the players he had a grudge against. When it happened, Colette was pissed at how Tim let it happen and what was going on and confronted him about it on the court. That was maybe when he decided he was going to stick it to Duryea when he got the chance.

I don't know if everything here is spot on true. We do know Colette cited the sucker punch and Duryea as reasons he was leaving. I've hated Colette for the way he left as much as anyone, but this has made me think that maybe Duryea was the real D-bag.Tim seems like a nice guy and I've talked to former players that do like him, but none that thought he was the right guy for the job. I'm very glad we have closed that chapter.
Interesting . . . .

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 17th, 2018, 2:21 pm

AggiePride wrote:
TrueAG wrote:

Apparently, when Stew retired, Scott Barnes told some of the key players on the team that no one on staff would be hired and asked them to help keep the team together until they found the next coach. In the mean time, Tim (knowing he wasn't going to get a shot) took matters in his own hands and told the players he had recruited they would probably be let go with a new coach. He then called a team meeting and asked all the players who wanted him to be the coach to raise their hands. Tim's recruits raised their hands. Other players, including the few key players/team leaders that Barnes had told Duryea wouldn't be the coach didn't and thought it was a desperate act. Well, somehow between Tim getting some player support and other coaches declining the job, it worked out for Tim.

Apparently, what followed was Tim holding a serious grudge against these key players and showing that grudge in practices. Lew Evans and Colette were both in Tim's dog house for not voting for him and we know both left the program. The known incident where Lew Evans got socked by Rector was a result of Duryea letting "his guys" have their way and not protecting the players he had a grudge against. When it happened, Colette was pissed at how Tim let it happen and what was going on and confronted him about it on the court. That was maybe when he decided he was going to stick it to Duryea when he got the chance.

I don't know if everything here is spot on true. We do know Colette cited the sucker punch and Duryea as reasons he was leaving. I've hated Colette for the way he left as much as anyone, but this has made me think that maybe Duryea was the real D-bag.Tim seems like a nice guy and I've talked to former players that do like him, but none that thought he was the right guy for the job. I'm very glad we have closed that chapter.
Very interesting....and I know this is no secret, but the longer we were stuck watching Duryea as the HC the less anger I felt towards Collette's abrupt departure.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » April 17th, 2018, 2:29 pm

AggiePride wrote:
TrueAG wrote:

Source and source level?

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

FormerlyVegasAggie71

Post by FormerlyVegasAggie71 » April 17th, 2018, 3:01 pm

Question: has anyone seen Smith's contract yet? I'm curious if it's "5 years" or "5 fiscal years." Is it the same 4 pager that Duryea received, or does USU have a better form these days? I know the terms have been released, but I'm wondering if the official contract is out there somewhere.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » April 17th, 2018, 3:57 pm

AggiePride wrote:
TrueAG wrote:

Apparently, what followed was Tim holding a serious grudge against these key players and showing that grudge in practices. Lew Evans and Collette were both in Tim's dog house for not voting for him and we know both left the program. The known incident where Lew Evans got socked by Rector was a result of Duryea letting "his guys" have their way and not protecting the players he had a grudge against. When it happened, Collette was pissed at how Tim let it happen and what was going on and confronted him about it on the court. That was maybe when he decided he was going to stick it to Duryea when he got the chance.

I don't know if everything here is spot on true. We do know Collette cited the sucker punch and Duryea as reasons he was leaving. I've hated Collette for the way he left as much as anyone, but this has made me think that maybe Duryea was the real D-bag.Tim seems like a nice guy and I've talked to former players that do like him, but none that thought he was the right guy for the job. I'm very glad we have closed that chapter.
Makes sense

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » April 17th, 2018, 4:24 pm

AggiePride wrote:
TrueAG wrote:

I doubt this is true, and here's why. Collette tried to burn the whole basketball program down on his way out. If this really happened, why wouldn't he say that? People would have sympathized with him and maybe not hated him so much. It makes no sense with how open Collette was with everything, that he wouldn't be open with the part that actually makes sense.

cval

Post by cval » April 17th, 2018, 4:38 pm

I agree. This sounds like revisionist history to support a current narrative.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 18th, 2018, 10:03 am

cval wrote:
April 17th, 2018, 4:38 pm
Are you referring to the Duryea's contract claims or the story about Collette?

cval

Post by cval » April 18th, 2018, 11:51 am

The story about Collette referenced just above my post.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » April 18th, 2018, 12:19 pm

cval wrote:
Are you saying the version of events reported above sounds manufactured to support the "current narrative" that it was appropriate to fire Duryea? Does anyone really need to make up a story to defend Duryea's firing at this point? The relevant fact is that the basketball program was in a downward spiral with no MWC-level reinforcements in sight. Whether the Collette story is true or not doesn't change that fact. The truth is that Duryea neither attracted nor developed sufficient MWC-level talent to be competitive and seemed to lack the coaching chops to be consistently successful in the MWC. I have no idea whether the version reported above is true or not, but it seems unlikely someone would completely make it up at this point to support Duryea's firing.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » April 18th, 2018, 12:21 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
April 18th, 2018, 12:19 pm
cval wrote:
Are you saying the version of events reported above sounds manufactured to support the "current narrative" that it was appropriate to fire Duryea? Does anyone really need to make up a story to defend Duryea's firing at this point? The relevant fact is that the basketball program was in a downward spiral with no MWC-level reinforcements in sight. Whether the Collette story is true or not doesn't change that fact. The truth is that Duryea neither attracted nor developed sufficient MWC-level talent to be competitive and seemed to lack the coaching chops to be consistently successful in the MWC. I have no idea whether the version reported above is true or not, but it seems unlikely someone would completely make it up at this point to support Duryea's firing.
I agree. To me the question is after all the threads about Duryea and Collette over the past 3 1/2 years, why didn't this story come out sooner?

usufan5477
Been thanked: 0

Post by usufan5477 » April 18th, 2018, 12:46 pm

Regarding the post above about Tim holding a grudge against players and having this meeting it totally false. Quit posting lies. Here is the facts about the contract. USU messed up the dates. Barnes agrees with this and has even said so as have others at the school who were apart of the negotiations. The contract won't hold up in court. Tim will get all the money that is owed to him. It is that simple.

On to Smith. He is bringing in a stud!!! Beat out some good D2's for him!!!! I am getting all goose bumpy over this hire!!

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » April 18th, 2018, 12:48 pm

USUBlue wrote:
April 18th, 2018, 12:21 pm
I agree. To me the question is after all the threads about Duryea and Collette over the past 3 1/2 years, why didn't this story come out sooner?
Fair question. One possible explanation is the source did not want to tar the current basketball coach with tales of internal strife, but now that Duryea is no longer the "current" coach, the source was more comfortable sharing his/her perception of what happened.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » April 18th, 2018, 12:57 pm

usufan5477 wrote:
April 18th, 2018, 12:46 pm
Regarding the post above about Tim holding a grudge against players and having this meeting it totally false. Quit posting lies. Here is the facts about the contract. USU messed up the dates. Barnes agrees with this and has even said so as have others at the school who were apart of the negotiations. The contract won't hold up in court. Tim will get all the money that is owed to him. It is that simple.

On to Smith. He is bringing in a stud!!! Beat out some good D2's for him!!!! I am getting all goose bumpy over this hire!!
For someone who claims to have met Duryea only once, you seem to have a lot of what you believe to be insider knowledge of what has gone on. Seems to suggest that you are either lying about your relationship to Duryea or about your knowledge of how he ran the program and his contract negotiations. Which is it?

Regardless of what happened during the negotiations, there is a termination date certain within the four corners of the contract. The fact that Duryea signed this agreement and now claims he didn't understand that the contract ended by its own terms on June 30, 2019, underscores exactly why the program suffered under his leadership: he either ignores or doesn't understand details that should be obvious to anyone with a modicum of common sense. I don't wish to denigrate Duryea on his way out the door, but the classy thing for him to do would have been to step down and go find another job without attempting to hold up USU for every penny he thinks they should have been obligated to pay him had he actually performed. Take a cue from Gary Andersen and just walk away. Don't make yourself look even more foolish and greedy by demanding money for a term beyond the clear termination date in an agreement you signed.

And your repeated sarcasm over the hiring of Smith -- who, unlike Duryea, has actually demonstrated an ability to turn a program around -- is galling sour grapes. Get over it.
Last edited by ChicAggie on April 18th, 2018, 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » April 18th, 2018, 12:57 pm

usufan5477 wrote:

Wow, you've cleared everything up. Duryea was a genius, the best BBall coach ever, can even speak for Barnes, and now practices law. Frankly Duryea's talents were underutilized as a BBall coach at USU.

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » April 18th, 2018, 1:14 pm

USUBlue wrote:
ChicAggie wrote:
cval wrote:
Maybe we have heard about it. It would seem consistent with this:

"Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » March 26th, 2015, 4:10 pm

And I found something out yesterday that I didn't know. I spoke with two players, one who does play (all-MW honors) and one who doesn't. Both said very openly, to my surprise, they don't want Duryea. Duryea has been trying to get them to lobby for him for weeks now and not a single player has approached Barnes in favor of Tim. There's even more to it than that."

Maybe BleedAggieBlue can share some more light on the topic...

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » April 18th, 2018, 1:52 pm

usufan5477 wrote:

Shouldn't you be bothering the posters on the Boise State board.

This is a good time for you to make the change. Now that they have added one of the great basketball minds of our time to their assistant coaching staff, the sky is the limit. His savvy and attention to detail in matters big and small should have Boise State in the Sweet 16 in no time.

FormerlyVegasAggie71

Post by FormerlyVegasAggie71 » April 18th, 2018, 1:54 pm

usufan5477 wrote:

Bye Felicia, I mean Angie

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » April 18th, 2018, 1:57 pm

LarryTheAggie wrote:
April 18th, 2018, 1:14 pm
USUBlue wrote:
ChicAggie wrote:
cval wrote:
Maybe we have heard about it. It would seem consistent with this:

"Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » March 26th, 2015, 4:10 pm

And I found something out yesterday that I didn't know. I spoke with two players, one who does play (all-MW honors) and one who doesn't. Both said very openly, to my surprise, they don't want Duryea. Duryea has been trying to get them to lobby for him for weeks now and not a single player has approached Barnes in favor of Tim. There's even more to it than that."

Maybe BleedAggieBlue can share some more light on the topic...
Them's some pretty great sleuthing skills there, Lawrence.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

cval

Post by cval » April 18th, 2018, 1:59 pm

USUBlue wrote:
ChicAggie wrote:
cval wrote:
This... I am not defending Duryea. I am not arguing that he shouldn't have been fired. I am saying that keeping a story like this under wraps for this long is unlikely. If this were true we would have heard this story long ago.

usufan5477
Been thanked: 0

Post by usufan5477 » April 18th, 2018, 2:07 pm

No I said I have met him twice. Just know someone who knows him. Duryea is a high character guy and for anybody to suggest he would do this to the team is nuts. It doesn't matter what the contract says. Barnes as others in the athletic department are going to say that it was supposed to be 5 years like they agreed on. USU messed up the contract. That is on them. At the end of the day they will have to pay Duryea the full amount you will all see. Everyone doubted me about this issue before and I told you then I was right and then it comes out in the paper. I know what I am talking about.

Again I am getting soooo excited about this new Coach. Bringing in some studs!!! Hartwell is a stud AD. I just can't hardly stand the excitement!!!!

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » April 18th, 2018, 2:10 pm

usufan5477 wrote:
April 18th, 2018, 2:07 pm
It doesn't matter what the contract says.
Is that your professional opinion, Lionel Hutz?

Locked Previous topicNext topic