Coach Smith article on Transfers

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Madmartigan

Coach Smith article on Transfers

Post by Madmartigan » April 2nd, 2018, 1:22 pm

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/865 ... e-gig.html

In the wake of the Koby transfer, some troubling statistics showing transfers being a widespread issue:

-Of the 351 D1 basketball programs, there were 800 transfers. Over two per school
-40 percent of D1 players who enter a D1 program leave by the end of their sophomore year

Transfers are the new reality of College basketball. Let's hope that Smith can attract a few quality transfers of his own like Coach Muss has at Nevada.

AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff

Re: Coach Smith article on Transfers

Post by AggiesForever » April 2nd, 2018, 1:35 pm

Whatever happened with Koby, at least Craig Smith is realistic about players transferring from Utah State . . . . and possibly transferring to Utah State.
Craig Smith wrote:“You know, I just think it’s part of the territory now,” Smith said. “It is what it is. You have to operate your program the way you believe is best, and if that’s what those guys want be part of and invested in and treat people right and it’s a great style of play, it’s going to be great for them. And if they think the grass is going to be greener on other side of the bush, then that’s their decision.”

An NCAA study showed 40 percent of players who enter a Div. I college leave by the end of their sophomore year.

But Smith doesn’t put all the blame on the players.

“I think a lot goes to recruiting. Players leave for their reasons, but I think some blame is on the coaches, too. I think sometimes they don’t do their due diligence in recruiting the type of players that will have success with them, and the type of people. So I don’t worry about it; it’s just part of the landscape.”

He concluded, “If you worried about that, and are coaching because of that, then I think you may be worried about the wrong thing.”
Maybe we'll see some transfers coming to us, for a change.

El Sapo

Post by El Sapo » April 2nd, 2018, 2:02 pm

Smith has some good answers. Love the way he communicates. Uses stats and details so he sounds credible, then he mixes in his opinion and makes his point.

I'm not so bummed, the guy is sharp.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » April 2nd, 2018, 3:05 pm

This is why those who say USU needs to build a program with 4-year players are wrong. Yes, if you can recruit and get high school players, especially local ones, great - get them. Just don't count on them staying 4 years. Programs are now built on 2 year intervals, not 4. Gone are the days of bringing in freshmen, redshirting them, easing them into playing time, coaching them, working with them in the weight room and the nuances of the offensive sets, etc., and waiting until they are juniors and seniors to really contribute. Now - it's get what you can out of them while you have them because chances are they aren't going to be in the program as juniors and seniors. They will transfer, or get recruited over. Very rare will USU have 4-year players (they haven't had many in recent years already). The USU staff would do well to stay on top of the list of players asking for release from their commitments and scooping whatever good ones up that they can - especially those that were good enough to garner P-5 scholarships out of high school.

Eutaw St. Aggie

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » April 2nd, 2018, 3:27 pm

Yossarian wrote:
April 2nd, 2018, 3:05 pm
This is why those who say USU needs to build a program with 4-year players are wrong. Yes, if you can recruit and get high school players, especially local ones, great - get them. Just don't count on them staying 4 years. Programs are now built on 2 year intervals, not 4. Gone are the days of bringing in freshmen, redshirting them, easing them into playing time, coaching them, working with them in the weight room and the nuances of the offensive sets, etc., and waiting until they are juniors and seniors to really contribute. Now - it's get what you can out of them while you have them because chances are they aren't going to be in the program as juniors and seniors. They will transfer, or get recruited over. Very rare will USU have 4-year players (they haven't had many in recent years already). The USU staff would do well to stay on top of the list of players asking for release from their commitments and scooping whatever good ones up that they can - especially those that were good enough to garner P-5 scholarships out of high school.
Astute observation. I think this is what led to some of Stew Morrill's struggles at the end of his career. He just didn't adjust well to the transfer landscape or recruit all that well. He was still expecting guys to stick around for all four years and to be able to develop them.

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » April 2nd, 2018, 3:39 pm

I saw an article saying that 7 of the 10 projected starters in tonight's championship game are JR & SR. I know that Loyola had 2 each SR and JR starting on Saturday, don't know - or care to look at - Kansas, my guess is they were probably younger.

I still think experience helps in the end.

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » April 2nd, 2018, 4:43 pm

Wait... Brad interviews coach Smith and only publishes 1 paragraph of the interview? This article is more like an extended tweet lol.

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » April 2nd, 2018, 5:02 pm

AGinNEIowa wrote:
April 2nd, 2018, 3:39 pm
I saw an article saying that 7 of the 10 projected starters in tonight's championship game are JR & SR. I know that Loyola had 2 each SR and JR starting on Saturday, don't know - or care to look at - Kansas, my guess is they were probably younger.

I still think experience helps in the end.
Kansas started 2 seniors (Graham and Svi), a junior (Vick), and two sophomores (Azubuike and Newman).

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » April 2nd, 2018, 6:22 pm

Malik Newman was a transfer though from the once future Aggie coach Ben Howland's MSU program.

Aggieforlife

Post by Aggieforlife » April 3rd, 2018, 11:07 am

I think musselman and Nevada show how successful you can be with transfers. I would love to see smith pull in a few like musselman did

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » April 3rd, 2018, 11:42 am

I wish someone would have let me know it was a Brad Rock article. I wouldn't have clicked on the link.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » April 3rd, 2018, 10:35 pm

NVAggie wrote:
April 3rd, 2018, 11:42 am
I wish someone would have let me know it was a Brad Rock article. I wouldn't have clicked on the link.
LOL. Quoted for truth.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

Locked Previous topicNext topic