the bigger question: Why is Finkbeiner still employed?

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
stang

Re: the bigger question: Why is Finkbeiner still employed?

Post by stang » March 14th, 2018, 1:24 pm

NVAggie wrote:So those who have quit are lesbians I presume.
Some, not all. Some were just sick of playing for a clueless coach who has no leadership skills.

stang

Post by stang » March 14th, 2018, 1:24 pm

NVAggie wrote:So those who have quit are lesbians I presume.
Some, not all. Some were just sick of playing for a clueless coach who has no leadership skills.

LKGates

Post by LKGates » March 14th, 2018, 6:18 pm

TheAKAggie wrote:
March 14th, 2018, 5:59 pm
It’s kind of like politics: not all Republicans are racists, but all the racists are Republicans.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
.... Said Louis Farrakhan.

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

LKGates

Post by LKGates » March 14th, 2018, 6:31 pm

It is NOT impossible for USU Women's basketball to win. The program was discontinued in 1987, and only reinstated in 2003. The first women's coach in the modern era, Raegan Pebley, did a phenomenal job of jumpstarting the program. When she left the program after the 2012 season, the team had a 21-10 record, went 11-3 in the WAC, and went to the second round of the Women's NIT.

We have great facilities, including the new practice facility and locker room. The women have access to our state of the art strength and conditioning facility. Shoot, Pebley didn't have any of that. There is no excuse for the degree of mediocrity that Finkbeiner has brought to the program.

As the stark contrast of Pebley and Finkbeiner's records shows, the head coach is critical to success. And I don't care that it is a non-revenue minor sport. I don't care if the stands are empty. It's an Aggie athletic team, damn it, and this one is embarrassing all of us.

Finkbeiner delenda est!

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » March 15th, 2018, 7:23 am

ShowMeAggie wrote:
March 13th, 2018, 5:26 pm
TheAKAggie wrote:
March 13th, 2018, 3:57 pm
I mean, I don’t have a wikipedia page to quote, but it has happened.

Source Level: MIDNIGHT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"it has happened"? and "it" = 'drove off all the lesbians', I presume?

with or without cause, might I ask?

I mean, if he chose to privately or personally make life miserable for 'them' to the point of "driving them off" because of their sexual preferences, all under the guise of his religious beliefs, then I 100% agree that is an abuse of power/position, and it is WRONG.

But, if he instead fired/dismissed a coach (and/or a player) for breaking team rules or engaging in improper sexual relationships (homosexual or otherwise), then I don't consider that driving them off.
These claims are not baseless. Hasn't happened in a couple of years, but for those who have followed women's basketball it's been pretty clear to see. We've had cases of players who have left to move to other, larger schools regardless of sexual orientation, but we've had more who have quit/transferred because of sexual orientation and or family situations. There were several twitter posts about it from these players, but since women's basketball is not highly followed or written about like men's basketball, nobody really noticed.

The assistant coach was fired because of a sexual relationship with a student athlete, but it was not one on the women's team and it was not a lesbian relationship. So that really has nothing to do with this aforementioned situation.

stang

Post by stang » March 16th, 2018, 12:16 pm

Allow me to paint a picture of just how bad this program currently is under Finkbeiner's control:

*Out of the 29 statistical categories measured by stats.ncaa.org (ppg, rpg, TO margin, really all the major ones without diving into advanced analytics), USU ranked 300 or lower in nine of them. There are 349 teams.

*The only categories which USU ranked even in the top 100 in the nation were blocks, blocks per game, and free throw %.

*USU finished DEAD LAST in the nation in 3-point defense (349/349) allowing other teams to shoot 38% on them. That's an effort stat.

*The Aggies were one of just three wins for Southern Utah this season.

*USU lost TWICE to a 6-win Air Force team, including being their first win of the season after starting 0-17 and a blowout loss in the conference tournament. Air force averages 3.3 wins per season over the past 6 seasons.

*The Aggies finished the season 315 in RPI

Oh yeah. All of this while playing in a conference whose regular-season champion and tournament champion Boise State earned a 16-seed in the NCAA tournament. The MW isn't exactly a WBB powerhouse.

It's time for Fink to go.

Locked Previous topicNext topic