New Beat Writer for the SL Trib

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
ericsil7

New Beat Writer for the SL Trib

Post by ericsil7 » February 6th, 2017, 8:49 pm

Looks like we have a new beat writer for Tribune, I think Steve Luhm retired or is retiring of something. Its a guy named Lynn Worthy and it looks like currently he will only be covering the Aggies. His twitter handle is @LWorthySports.

bleu
Been thanked: 0

Re: New Beat Writer for the SL Trib

Post by bleu » February 6th, 2017, 9:01 pm

Thrilled to see that we'll be getting some coverage again! It seems like the writers assigned to our beat just keep getting worse and worse, but come on, this guy really can't possibly be worse than Steve Luhm...right?

He seems pretty solid

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » February 6th, 2017, 9:04 pm

Yeah, I'm not giving him a follow until he shows he's willing to even acknowledge we exist. Their signing day coverage was beyond pathetic.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

bpd

Post by bpd » February 6th, 2017, 9:16 pm

Here is what happened. Luhm retired and the trib didn't replace him for awhile. This guys first day was today. I already asked for better basketball recruiting. Follow and tell him what you want

bleu

Post by bleu » February 6th, 2017, 9:34 pm

bpd wrote:Here is what happened. Luhm retired and the trib didn't replace him for awhile. This guys first day was today. I already asked for better basketball recruiting. Follow and tell him what you want
Luhm was worthless. I know he "officially" just retired a little while ago, but I think he actually retired when he was assigned to the USU beat.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » February 6th, 2017, 10:41 pm

The trib hasn't covered us since Tony Jones

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

MacAggie

Post by MacAggie » February 7th, 2017, 11:26 am

Why doesn't the trib(or any of the other newspapers in Utah) hire someone right out of USU to cover USU sports? It would be their first job out of college, someone who cares about USU sports, and good experience for the person. Seems like a win, win, win to me.
Last edited by MacAggie on February 7th, 2017, 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » February 7th, 2017, 12:15 pm

Don't know why you guys are so down on Luhm. He writes much better than Jones, covers ten times better than Lya, and has forgotten more about Utah sports than Goon has ever known. My guess is that he wasn't thrilled with the Aggie beat after covering the NBA and Jazz for many years, but he took it seriously. I thought he was much better than the average Trib hack.

Nobody here knows anything.

Maverik_Aggie

Post by Maverik_Aggie » February 7th, 2017, 12:34 pm

MacAggie wrote:Why doesn't the trib(or any of the other newspapers in Utah) someone right out of USU to cover USU sports? It would be their first job out of college, someone who cares about USU sports, and good experience for the person. Seems like a win, win, win to me
This is exactly what I was going to say. This would be ideal!!!

bleu

Post by bleu » February 7th, 2017, 1:30 pm

OKAggie wrote:Don't know why you guys are so down on Luhm. He writes much better than Jones, covers ten times better than Lya, and has forgotten more about Utah sports than Goon has ever known. My guess is that he wasn't thrilled with the Aggie beat after covering the NBA and Jazz for many years, but he took it seriously. I thought he was much better than the average Trib hack.
I very much disagree. He has the general sports knowledge and history, but it's very obvious that he was mailing it in when covering Utah State. His writing was pretty good quality, but his knowledge of USU and the effort he put into giving us good coverage was terrible

WAaggieFan

Post by WAaggieFan » February 7th, 2017, 1:55 pm

What's the 'SL Trib?'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ultramagnus

Post by ultramagnus » February 7th, 2017, 2:02 pm

Does the new guy know the difference between the University of Utah and Utah State University? He sure is retweeting a lot of Ute stories.

Maybe he's retweeting for general interest of Utah sports in general, but if he's going to fill up my timeline with Ute information, it's going to be a quick 'unfolllow'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » February 7th, 2017, 2:13 pm

OKAggie wrote:Don't know why you guys are so down on Luhm. He writes much better than Jones, covers ten times better than Lya, and has forgotten more about Utah sports than Goon has ever known. My guess is that he wasn't thrilled with the Aggie beat after covering the NBA and Jazz for many years, but he took it seriously. I thought he was much better than the average Trib hack.
Ugh, Lya was the worst!

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » February 7th, 2017, 2:35 pm

You guys want more USU coverage? Every USU article you see-- click on it. Share it and tell your friends to click on it. Click on it over and over. These USU stories getting more clicks and coverage is how we increase and improve the coverage of our Aggies.

Here's a short primer he wrote up for the game tonight. Click on it. http://www.sltrib.com/sports/4910229-15 ... utah-state

Sure this kid may be lackluster about covering USU at first, but let's show him how many fans around actually care and want the coverage and see if we can't get it improved.

AggieMan5

Post by AggieMan5 » February 7th, 2017, 3:27 pm

swishh_15 wrote:You guys want more USU coverage? Every USU article you see-- click on it. Share it and tell your friends to click on it. Click on it over and over. These USU stories getting more clicks and coverage is how we increase and improve the coverage of our Aggies.

Here's a short primer he wrote up for the game tonight. Click on it. http://www.sltrib.com/sports/4910229-15 ... utah-state

Sure this kid may be lackluster about covering USU at first, but let's show him how many fans around actually care and want the coverage and see if we can't get it improved.
Yup :thanks:

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » February 7th, 2017, 6:13 pm

If I was to give this guy some advice, I would tell him to work like Tony Jones worked when he covered USU. Jones was on top of his job and put a lot of time into it. He gave USU coverage that we hadn't had before and haven't had since. He covered recruiting - contacted recruits and did stories on them, he covered games, and he did actual investigation and reporting between games. He put out a ton of articles and pieces on USU. He was active with USU fans and frequented the Chat room on this board. Tony took his job seriously and really appeared to enjoy it. He also knew he wanted bigger and better things than the USU beat and had a plan to reach higher. I really appreciated the time and effort he put into reporting on USU athletics. Maybe the Tribune doesn't have the budget now to have one guy fully devoted to USU? But if this kid wants to endure himself with USU fans, he might take some advice from Mr. Jones.

Eutaw St. Aggie

utaggies

Post by utaggies » February 7th, 2017, 7:18 pm

swishh_15 wrote:You guys want more USU coverage? Every USU article you see-- click on it. Share it and tell your friends to click on it. Click on it over and over. These USU stories getting more clicks and coverage is how we increase and improve the coverage of our Aggies.

You bring up a good point. On pretty much every USU article there are no comments registered. I can't opine relative to "clicks". But readers seem pretty apathetic about USU athletics. Contrast that with the responses that U of U or BYU articles generate -- either in the Trib or the D-News. It's this same reason that we can't find USU apparel in Dick's or other sporting good stores. Seemingly there is little interest. If there was, there would be more coverage and more Aggie gear.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » February 7th, 2017, 7:55 pm

utaggies wrote:

You bring up a good point. On pretty much every USU article there are no comments registered. I can't opine relative to "clicks". But readers seem pretty apathetic about USU athletics. Contrast that with the responses that U of U or BYU articles generate -- either in the Trib or the D-News. It's this same reason that we can't find USU apparel in Dick's or other sporting good stores. Seemingly there is little interest. If there was, there would be more coverage and more Aggie gear.
Part off that is the quality of content that has been available. Fans stop reading and commenting when they see coverage get worse. Then the newspaper takes it to mean that there isn't interest. It's a chicken and egg situation. If they want readers and comments then they need to provide good content. Without good content the readers and comments won't come.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » February 7th, 2017, 10:31 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
utaggies wrote:

Part off that is the quality of content that has been available. Fans stop reading and commenting when they see coverage get worse. Then the newspaper takes it to mean that there isn't interest. It's a chicken and egg situation. If they want readers and comments then they need to provide good content. Without good content the readers and comments won't come.

I simply don't want to take the time to register on every news site just so I can comment.

Ahbye

Post by Ahbye » February 7th, 2017, 11:48 pm

utaggies wrote:

Welll, I would say that the vast majority of comments on BYU and Utah articles are directed more towards the opposing fan base than they are about the teams themselves. Take away either school and they'd get about the same amount of comments. Everyone wants a chance to jab at the opposing team, and right now, we don't generate enough interest to be hated, and we're the proverbial third wheel on the horrible, perpetual break-up date that is Utah/BYU.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » February 8th, 2017, 6:58 am

ProvoAggie wrote:
utaggies wrote:

Very true. There is only so many times I run to a mirage in the desert. I checked the trib multiple times on signing day and could not find a thing about our signees.

UtahStizzle

Post by UtahStizzle » February 14th, 2017, 3:37 pm

utaggies wrote:

Commenting on news sites in 2017 is so 2012. Everyone's using Facebook or Twitter now.

Also, this guy is doing an awesome job so far. Best since Tony.

Twitter: UtahStizzle

Locked Previous topicNext topic