Jared Stutzman

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
usufan5477
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Jared Stutzman

Post by usufan5477 » April 11th, 2016, 1:23 pm

Jared Stutzman has returned from his mission and is being recruited by: Utah, Utah State, UVU, SUU, Santa Clara, Oregon.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Re: Jared Stutzman

Post by brownjeans » April 11th, 2016, 1:54 pm

I thought he signed with San Francisco. If so, doesn't that make him off limits per the Riley rule? Or is that not applicable?

usufan5477

Post by usufan5477 » April 11th, 2016, 2:57 pm

New coach there now. Maybe that had something to do with it.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » April 11th, 2016, 3:12 pm

I believe we already talked about this subject just a couple of months ago when Stutzman asked for a release from his NLI for "Religious Reasons".

Thread is here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=40551&p=431322

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » April 11th, 2016, 4:33 pm

Isn't " released from NLI" the same as being released from your Scholarship? Still sit a year unless extreme issues are presented like Marcel?

I would not think "religious reasons" meets the test to let him play without sitting.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » April 12th, 2016, 7:45 am

The kid specifically said he wants to be somewhere with LDS students on campus. I have to think USU is a real possibility here if we offer him a scholly. I see that Utah is also in the mix, but with them being over committed in scholarships already and currently recruiting 2 JC guys it seems like a small chance.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 12th, 2016, 8:03 am

[youtube][/youtube]

After watching this highlight video I've decided I want Jared to be an Aggie. I was under the impression he was just a spot up shooter but he's a lot more athletic than I was thinking and looks able and willing to get to the hoop. Seems to have good speed and can really jump. He reminds me somewhat of Jardine in high school in how quick he gets off the floor and how he looks to dunk it as often as possible instead of settling for layups. We need more players with that kind of aggression.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » April 12th, 2016, 9:08 am

Looks like our staff agrees with you hipster. We offered him today.

A few years back we were on Jared very early and offered him as an underclassman. He didn't commit for quite some time, and I think eventually we couldn't save his spot anymore and moved on. It was somewhat of a surprise to me that he committed to San Francisco. I think he could've gone higher than that.

His current offers are Utah State, Southern Utah, UVU, Idaho State, and Santa Clara.

Coloraggie

Post by Coloraggie » April 12th, 2016, 9:31 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:[youtube][/youtube]

After watching this highlight video I've decided I want Jared to be an Aggie. I was under the impression he was just a spot up shooter but he's a lot more athletic than I was thinking and looks able and willing to get to the hoop. Seems to have good speed and can really jump. He reminds me somewhat of Jardine in high school in how quick he gets off the floor and how he looks to dunk it as often as possible instead of settling for layups. We need more players with that kind of aggression.
He does dunk a lot which is great but he looks to be much bigger than most of the kids he is playing against and doesn't have anyone to go over or around that could be a problem. His shooting form isn't that great, sure he is making them in the highlight video but I'd like to know his %. Also, again the competition he is going against isn't going to bother his shot like a MW level defender would. I hope he ends up being great since I know his family I just don't see him being a star on a good USU team.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » April 12th, 2016, 9:36 am

The reason why I'm for Stutzman is that he's likely an upgrade at wing over Middleton and maybe over some late JC guy we might bring in if we don't get others we are looking at. I also feel like it gives some insurance regarding Merrill as well in case he does not pan out.
Last edited by Roy McAvoy on April 12th, 2016, 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » April 12th, 2016, 9:41 am

Coloraggie wrote:

He does dunk a lot which is great but he looks to be much bigger than most of the kids he is playing against and doesn't have anyone to go over or around that could be a problem. His shooting form isn't that great, sure he is making them in the highlight video but I'd like to know his %. Also, again the competition he is going against isn't going to bother his shot like a MW level defender would. I hope he ends up being great since I know his family I just don't see him being a star on a good USU team.
He actually had really good stats.

2014 (Sr.) Stats: PPG: 22.3 FG%: .520 3PT%: .390 FT%: .800 REB: 8.6 BLK: 2.1 STL: 1.9
2013 (Jr.) Stats: PPG: 17.6 FG%: .480 3PT%: .350 FT%: .770 REB: 6.7 BLK: 1.7 STL: 1.6

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » April 12th, 2016, 10:10 am

This page pretty much answers any questions about him. He is definitely available to play next season. His AAU coach also called him the best shooter he's ever had in his program.

http://www.jaredstutzman2016.com/

Donman

Post by Donman » April 12th, 2016, 10:53 am

swishh_15 wrote:This page pretty much answers any questions about him. He is definitely available to play next season. His AAU coach also called him the best shooter he's ever had in his program.

If Lynn Lloyd was his AAU coach then he would have played with Sam Merrill and Breckott Chapman

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » April 12th, 2016, 11:34 am

Donman wrote:
swishh_15 wrote:This page pretty much answers any questions about him. He is definitely available to play next season. His AAU coach also called him the best shooter he's ever had in his program.

If Lynn Lloyd was his AAU coach then he would have played with Sam Merrill and Breckott Chapman
He did some

coolag

Post by coolag » April 12th, 2016, 6:38 pm

Coloraggie wrote:

Meh, Spencer Nelson, Brady jardine and jaycee Carroll didn't play against great competition either. My question is why do most programs and even this kids local high school radio station have guys so much better and more understandable than the blabbering hyena Al Lewis?

Regulator of Class

AngusAg

Post by AngusAg » April 12th, 2016, 7:57 pm

We can always use another kid from Idaho. Who was our last one? Nelson? Yeah, its time for another one. Watching the video, looks like he'd bring a cheering section with him that would help beef up the Hurd.

dogie

Post by dogie » April 12th, 2016, 8:33 pm

AngusAg wrote:We can always use another kid from Idaho. Who was our last one? Nelson? Yeah, its time for another one. Watching the video, looks like he'd bring a cheering section with him that would help beef up the Hurd.
Brady Jardine and then Mitch Bruneel. And almost Steve Cobbley.

nswaggie

Post by nswaggie » April 13th, 2016, 5:44 am

Coloraggie wrote:

You never know, I remember a kid a lot of schools passed on because his high school competition wasn't that great, what was his name? ............Oh yea Jaycee Carrol. I'm not saying he will pan out, and I don't think one should use that Line of thinking to sign under rated kids, however in this instance I don't mind it for the following reasons:

1-Probably not going to find a better prospect this late in April.
2-rather than signing a JC guy where there would only be 2 more years of eligibility Jared will have 5 to play 4
3- I don't think we are gonna be heading to the NCAA next year so you might as well invest in freshmen rather than juniors when it comes to recruiting. In my mind we are in rebuild mode.
4- The kid is from Idaho which I consider to be our recruiting region. IMO In general kids that are from our region come with a little more motivation to be successful.

TFBruin

Post by TFBruin » April 13th, 2016, 7:14 am

I think this would be a good get. My youngest played against Jared for several years and beat his #1 rated team Bonneville in the semi finals of the state tournament in overtime. Twin went on to win the state title that year. It was definitely the best game of the state tournament. He can definitely shoot, has decent size and can handle the ball. I really think USU has to go after this type of kid that may fly under the radar because of where they played. I was really surprised that Jared chose San Fransico. I think USU would be a great fit.

FuzzyDunlop

Post by FuzzyDunlop » April 13th, 2016, 9:02 am

If Stutzman didn't have the requirement of being on a campus with LDS students, he'd have more offers. He's a good player, similar to Brock Miller who's on a mission. More of an all around game than Ty Washington. Stutzman would be a good signing this late.

UtesAggs>BYU

Post by UtesAggs>BYU » April 13th, 2016, 9:56 am

Stutzman would be a very good fit with Utah State. I'm hoping he chooses Logan

Coloraggie

Post by Coloraggie » April 13th, 2016, 10:43 am

TFBruin wrote:I think this would be a good get. My youngest played against Jared for several years and beat his #1 rated team Bonneville in the semi finals of the state tournament in overtime. Twin went on to win the state title that year. It was definitely the best game of the state tournament. He can definitely shoot, has decent size and can handle the ball. I really think USU has to go after this type of kid that may fly under the radar because of where they played. I was really surprised that Jared chose San Fransico. I think USU would be a great fit.
TF, has your youngest picked where he is going to college yet? I think you had told me at one point that he was the best of your kids, which would be pretty good. I know when he was young he had his sites set higher than USU but did that ever pan out?

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 13th, 2016, 10:52 am

Coloraggie wrote:
TFBruin wrote:I think this would be a good get. My youngest played against Jared for several years and beat his #1 rated team Bonneville in the semi finals of the state tournament in overtime. Twin went on to win the state title that year. It was definitely the best game of the state tournament. He can definitely shoot, has decent size and can handle the ball. I really think USU has to go after this type of kid that may fly under the radar because of where they played. I was really surprised that Jared chose San Fransico. I think USU would be a great fit.
TF, has your youngest picked where he is going to college yet? I think you had told me at one point that he was the best of your kids, which would be pretty good. I know when he was young he had his sites set higher than USU but did that ever pan out?
How tall is he?

TFBruin

Jared Stutzman

Post by TFBruin » April 13th, 2016, 12:48 pm

My youngest was a real late bloomer. Only 6'4" 170lbs in high school. Still young turns 20 this month will be home in June. He will have to go somewhere and prove himself at a JC because he has changed. Now 6'6" 210.

About Jared.

I've seen Jared play quite a bit. Good player that loves basketball. I hope they get him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by TFBruin on April 13th, 2016, 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » April 13th, 2016, 1:00 pm

TFBruin wrote:He was a real late bloomer. Only 6'4" 170lbs in high school. Still young turns 20 this month will be home in June. He will have to go somewhere and prove himself at a JC because he has changed. Now 6'6" 210.

I've seen Jared play quite a bit. Good player that loves basketball. I hope they get him.
Why would he need to go to a JC to prove himself when he's already got offers from D1 schools?

TFBruin

Post by TFBruin » April 13th, 2016, 2:31 pm

Sorry that was about my youngest.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » April 13th, 2016, 2:34 pm

TFBruin wrote:Sorry that was about my youngest.
Ah yes, sorry. I see that now.

Coloraggie

Post by Coloraggie » April 14th, 2016, 9:25 am

TFBruin wrote:My youngest was a real late bloomer. Only 6'4" 170lbs in high school. Still young turns 20 this month will be home in June. He will have to go somewhere and prove himself at a JC because he has changed. Now 6'6" 210.

About Jared.

Hopefully he will prove himself and then we can have another Jardine on the team. He would be a fan favorite before stepping onto the court.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » April 19th, 2016, 9:07 am

Someone name Brian Stutzman (presumably his dad) tweeted out he's narrowed his choices down to just schools in the state of Utah. I don't know BYU's scholarship situation but I have to think anything they offer might be tempting for him given what he said about looking for a program that he can shoot a lot of 3's and has an LDS population.

I also think Utah is probably strongly in play if a couple of JC guys they've offered don't commit and that's a wait and see game right now for them.

Right now though I would think we've got a pretty good chance.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » April 19th, 2016, 10:43 am

The tweet has been removed.

antibluehair

Post by antibluehair » April 19th, 2016, 11:01 am

I think UVU is the front runner right now but other schools could jump in if they miss on other guys.

nswaggie

Post by nswaggie » April 19th, 2016, 2:30 pm

antibluehair wrote:I think UVU is the front runner right now but other schools could jump in if they miss on other guys.
So are we getting beat out by UVU now for recruits or are we one of the wait on other offers schools?

TFBruin

Post by TFBruin » April 19th, 2016, 2:43 pm

USU needs to make a push here. It would be good for him and USU. I think it would be a good fit.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » April 19th, 2016, 2:43 pm

nswaggie wrote:
antibluehair wrote:I think UVU is the front runner right now but other schools could jump in if they miss on other guys.
So are we getting beat out by UVU now for recruits or are we one of the wait on other offers schools?
Given our active recruitment of other wings going on in this current class I would guess we're maybe a wait and see school right now.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » April 19th, 2016, 3:49 pm

swishh_15 wrote:
nswaggie wrote:
Given our active recruitment of other wings going on in this current class I would guess we're maybe a wait and see school right now.
Which means we'll end up with none of Clyburn, Washington, or Stutzman.

Locked Previous topicNext topic