How many Aggies were at the Arena?

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Tetonkatest

How many Aggies were at the Arena?

Post by Tetonkatest » March 10th, 2016, 5:47 pm

Sounded very loud on TV. Almost like there were more USU fans than SDSU fans.

How was it?

BrendanAggie93
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: How many Aggies were at the Arena?

Post by BrendanAggie93 » March 10th, 2016, 5:50 pm

Those who went represented well from what I heard as well. Good job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rabidchild

Post by Rabidchild » March 10th, 2016, 5:53 pm

That's because by the end of the game every "neutral" fan became a USU fan. There were a ton of New Mexico fans who were very loud in support of USU. The Nevada fans, Fresno fans, and BSU fans around me were also cheering for USU. As the reffing got bad in the final two minutes, those fans became more vocal in favor of USU.

In my opinion, our fan turnout was embarrassing. I couldn't really even tell where if anywhere there was a dedicated Aggie section, other than a couple of pockets of about 30-40 students.

I'm a reasonable man, get off my case.

BrendanAggie93
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by BrendanAggie93 » March 10th, 2016, 5:57 pm

Rabidchild wrote:That's because by the end of the game every "neutral" fan became a USU fan. There were a ton of New Mexico fans who were very loud in support of USU. The Nevada fans, Fresno fans, and BSU fans around me were also cheering for USU. As the reffing got bad in the final two minutes, those fans became more vocal in favor of USU.

In my opinion, our fan turnout was embarrassing. I couldn't really even tell where if anywhere there was a dedicated Aggie section, other than a couple of pockets of about 30-40 students.
Probably because the winner of Nevada/UNLV wanted to play us over SDSU haha

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » March 10th, 2016, 6:18 pm

We probably had 300-400 fans there. We were in the same corner as San Diego State and blended in pretty good. The other teams fans were definitely cheering for us.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » March 10th, 2016, 6:19 pm

This was the worst turnout I have seen for Aggie fans since the tourney has been in Vegas, WAC or MWC. I was interviewed for a Statesman article about the Aggie fan attendance at the tourney, I can't wait to see what parts of the interview they use (if any) for the article. I believe it is Spring Break for the students right now correct? If so, the turnout was even more sad and disappointing. Was there any effort from the AD to put together Spring Break packages for students to vacation in Vegas so they could be here? Bus and hotel fare, plus a block of tickets to stick them all together....is that too much to ask?

All I know is that SDSU fans and UNM fans show up in droves to the tourney and they are loud and coordinated. Any claim we may have had as a loud and crazy fan base is long gone or has been reserved for a few brief moments in The Spectrum. Hell, even Wyoming fans packed the place with their team being a similar seed.

The worst part is exactly what Rabid pointed out, we don't ever seem to have a USU Section at this thing. It is very apparent that SDSU had 1/3 of the lower bowl and they were all seated together. The same for the Wyoming game, they all sat together and filled in complete sections. When you hear cheers, it is much louder coming from one unified section than from 4-5 fans here and there spread out all over the arena. Is this a MWC problem or a USU ticket office problem?
When you combine the section problem with our colors being the colors that many people wear on a daily basis we just don't stand out. SDSU fans and UNM fans stand out because everyone is in RED, CSU fans come in all GREEN, Wyo fans are in piss YELLOW. All of these stand out in the arena and so it is hard to gauge how many USU fans are even there. Perhaps we should push everyone to wear white and sell some USU tourney t-shirts for those in attendance. It's no different than having a game day t-shirt.

Coloraggie

Post by Coloraggie » March 11th, 2016, 10:58 am

Well, it is a lot of money for a flight, hotel and tickets to watch what we expect to be one game of basketball when USU dumps the regular season and finishes 9th out of 11 teams. I know we won our first round game but when we lost to Wyoming by 30 earlier in the year there was a lot of optimism. I should have gone but shelling out over $1000 to expect us to lose our first game isn't worth it.

Rabidchild

Post by Rabidchild » March 11th, 2016, 3:24 pm

Coloraggie wrote:Well, it is a lot of money for a flight, hotel and tickets to watch what we expect to be one game of basketball when USU dumps the regular season and finishes 9th out of 11 teams. I know we won our first round game but when we lost to Wyoming by 30 earlier in the year there was a lot of optimism. I should have gone but shelling out over $1000 to expect us to lose our first game isn't worth it.
Why would you have expected us to lose our first game? We were 3 point favorites. Plus, a true fan expects his team to win every game, right? ;)

But really, this is exactly the mindset that we need fans to get rid of. We need fans who will support the team even if it is only for one game (if you don't go to the other games, there's plenty to do in and around Vegas - you could even go skiing at Lee Canyon if warm weather and pools are not your thing). Wyoming had as bad of a year as us and they had what seemed like at least 10 times as many fans there. The drive from Logan is not bad at all if you don't want to spend money on airfare. With the easy drive or with cheap flights from SLC, we have about the easiest trip of any fan base - much easier than Wyoming anyway, yet they seem bring big numbers every year. Coming to the tournament is just an annual tradition for their fans. For New Mexico fans it's the same way - they show up in Vegas year in and year out even when they're one and done like this year. We need to get our fans (and students) to adopt this mentality. We did have that mentality for the last few years in the Big West and the first few in the WAC, but it has tapered off. It's a huge boost to the players and it also makes the tournament more fun for everyone in attendance.

I'm a reasonable man, get off my case.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » March 12th, 2016, 6:58 am

Our trip isn't easier than UNLV.

I think that is one of the problems though. We can wait until the last second to plan to go to the tournament if our team doesn't have much of a chance we just bail with no consequences.

Cuchelain

Post by Cuchelain » March 12th, 2016, 1:19 pm

I went.

Our attendance was worse than I've ever seen or imagined was possible. We had the worst turnout of any fan base except maybe San Jose State.

sneed

Post by sneed » March 12th, 2016, 1:34 pm

Cuchelain wrote:I went.

Our attendance was worse than I've ever seen or imagined was possible. We had the worst turnout of any fan base except maybe San Jose State.
I agree. Pretty sad. Maybe some of my family members are addicted to gambling but this is the easiest thing I can get people to go to. I got three family members to go with me that didn't attend a single game in Logan this year.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » March 12th, 2016, 1:44 pm

sneed wrote:

I agree. Pretty sad. Maybe some of my family members are addicted to gambling but this is the easiest thing I can get people to go to. I got three family members to go with me that didn't attend a single game in Logan this year.
That's what happens when you have an uninspiring hire in Duryea (people wanted a fresh hire) and when the team played uninspired for most of the year. Finally, one on one basketball is not a scheme that people like to watch -- we can see that in the NBA every night, don't need to see it in the Spectrum. Set a dam screen off ball.

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » March 12th, 2016, 2:04 pm

USUBlue wrote:
sneed wrote:

That's what happens when you have an uninspiring hire in Duryea (people wanted a fresh hire) and when the team played uninspired for most of the year. Finally, one on one basketball is not a scheme that people like to watch -- we can see that in the NBA every night, don't need to see it in the Spectrum. Set a dam screen off ball.
You don't say? Is your account on auto pilot?

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » March 12th, 2016, 3:09 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
USUBlue wrote:
sneed wrote:

You don't say? Is your account on auto pilot?

Just speaking for the masses and all the empty seats 5 Cents. People will watch what they want no matter the hype.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » March 12th, 2016, 3:15 pm

Good thing some wanted to chase Stew away so that we could play some "modern" ball. Now we are longing to go back? This board is so bipolar. Can't wait for football and the fire Wells crowd to start back up.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

bpd

Post by bpd » March 12th, 2016, 3:54 pm

USUBlue wrote:
sneed wrote:

Oh where to start. First, the NBA game has never been as popular as it is right now. I don't watch it, but not because of the reasons you listed. I think there are too many games, too many players take games off, the refs are terrible, traveling is never called, and the players run the show. That said, people love the NBA. Second, if we played one on one basketball, why do get so many assists? In the previous 4 games before the last game, we were averaging 85 points per game... so boring. Maybe we should score less so the crowds will come back. If I had a dime for every fan that said " I want to see more off ball screens." :sarcasm:

The truth is our attendance is bad for two reasons. 1. We had a losing record because of our poor D. 2. Attendance is down everywhere, UNM never sold it students tix out. Alabama football student attendance is down. Why? I have no idea. This generation. I think Logan offers very little to do on a Tuesday night, but who and I too know. As to your claim that we only had more fans then San Jose, you are wrong. CSU has really bad attendance, Fresno has really bad attendance... and they finished 2nd. Air Force, really bad, so was Nevada, Boise, pretty much everybody except UNM and San Diego St. Both of those teams had lower attendance numbers this year, especially among students. You want fans back, you have to win... and that may bring them back.

Jjoey52

Post by Jjoey52 » March 12th, 2016, 4:15 pm

College attendance is down all over for 1 simple reason: the schools have sold their souls for TV money and in a lot of situations, ridiculous game times.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » March 12th, 2016, 4:28 pm

The fans I talked to in Vegas said the Aggies were more fun to watch then they have been in a while. I agree. That was our best tournament in 5 years and our fans missed out. We will get better but the days of 30 win seasons or even 25 win seasons are over. With the level of competition that we face now we're going to lose some but it makes for more exciting games.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » March 12th, 2016, 10:43 pm

dyedblue wrote:Good thing some wanted to chase Stew away so that we could play some "modern" ball. Now we are longing to go back? This board is so bipolar. Can't wait for football and the fire Wells crowd to start back up.

I loved Stew's structured offense of his first 12 years; lots of off ball action. His last 3 became more and more ball-screen based

SeattleAg

Post by SeattleAg » March 12th, 2016, 11:18 pm

Jjoey52 wrote:College attendance is down all over for 1 simple reason: the schools have sold their souls for TV money and in a lot of situations, ridiculous game times.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Also, money is still tight for lots of people, and live sports is an easy one to cut. I think a big problem for USU is the number of students and recent alums that have piles of children. We complain about how cheap Aggies are, but when you're on an entry level salary and feeding 4-5 people, Aggie sports is gonna be a ways down the list. Traveling to Vegas with kids in tow and shelling out for hotels and tix is close to impossible.
(And I'm speaking as someone who can finally afford this sort of thing again, but still ends up never going to any games anywhere.)

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » March 12th, 2016, 11:45 pm

Another thing is that now that we are playing teams like Duke, we have to pick between traveling to that or the conference tournament, if one or the other is all we can do. When we were playing in Anaheim and Reno, we didn't have to choose between that and games against Duke cause we never played those kind of games.

WAaggieFan

Post by WAaggieFan » March 13th, 2016, 8:56 am

dyedblue wrote:Good thing some wanted to chase Stew away so that we could play some "modern" ball. Now we are longing to go back? This board is so bipolar. Can't wait for football and the fire Wells crowd to start back up.

People are still making this claim? I recall no 'fire Wells' commentary. I do recall some people misreading criticism as a call for firing. I do recall some people continuously making this false claim, just like you did, repeatedly and erroneously. I also recall asking them to please show me where my recollection on the matter was incorrect. No one ever did.... Fire Wells? I don't think that clarion call ever went out last fall except maybe a jest response to all the false claims or on an extremely limited basis. It certainly wasn't a pervasive theme. On the other hand, fire Duryea? Now that's a sentiment that actually has been publicly stated on this board on multiple occasions.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » March 13th, 2016, 9:50 am

ProvoAggie wrote:The fans I talked to in Vegas said the Aggies were more fun to watch then they have been in a while. I agree. That was our best tournament in 5 years and our fans missed out. We will get better but the days of 30 win seasons or even 25 win seasons are over. With the level of competition that we face now we're going to lose some but it makes for more exciting games.

Of course PA, the fans that went to Vegas would be those that enjoyed this season -- it's the one's that didn't go that Didn't enjoy the season and those were the majority of the fans.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » March 13th, 2016, 9:52 am

WAaggieFan wrote:

People are still making this claim? I recall no 'fire Wells' commentary. I do recall some people misreading criticism as a call for firing. I do recall some people continuously making this false claim, just like you did, repeatedly and erroneously. I also recall asking them to please show me where my recollection on the matter was incorrect. No one ever did.... Fire Wells? I don't think that clarion call ever went out last fall except maybe a jest response to all the false claims or on an extremely limited basis. It certainly wasn't a pervasive theme. On the other hand, fire Duryea? Now that's a sentiment that actually has been publicly stated on this board on multiple occasions.

The dialogue has been eerily similar.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » March 13th, 2016, 9:55 am

dyedblue wrote:
WAaggieFan wrote:

Well I've never been in the fire Wells camp, but this is the year to decide that. He's been riding GA's work and coattails long enough. If the downward trend continues, we'll know he's no GA. If he can turn it back to winning, then he's building his own legacy of course until he leaves.

As for Duryea, we won't "fire" him for another 2 years. BUT he simply should never have been hired.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » March 13th, 2016, 10:39 am

USUBlue wrote:
ProvoAggie wrote:The fans I talked to in Vegas said the Aggies were more fun to watch then they have been in a while. I agree. That was our best tournament in 5 years and our fans missed out. We will get better but the days of 30 win seasons or even 25 win seasons are over. With the level of competition that we face now we're going to lose some but it makes for more exciting games.

Of course PA, the fans that went to Vegas would be those that enjoyed this season -- it's the one's that didn't go that Didn't enjoy the season and those were the majority of the fans.
I'm not saying that they enjoyed the season, just the 2 game's in Vegas. We had some growing pains this year and some truly terrible performances. By the end of the year we were playing much better with a new style of play.

Aggieiester

Post by Aggieiester » March 13th, 2016, 12:49 pm

I always find it interesting how many excuses are offered when the level of fan support is poor but no excuse is acceptable when the team performance is poor. If the fan base, the ones who supposedly fund the program are too poor/cheap/fickle to show up in similar numbers to teams in the middle of the league then how do you expect the performance on the floor to be a whole lot different.

USU's support at the tournament should be much better than schools like Boise, Nevada and Fresno, far better tradition (conference championships, NCAA bids, number to 20+ winning seasons etc) and similar to much better recent success. Without question five straight poorish to mediocre seasons have hurt but with USU's history there should be a much larger hard core contingent of fans that travel to conference tournaments (like Wyoming) but it just does not exist.

USU's fan base is similar to SDSU's in one aspect. As long as their team is winning big they will show up otherwise, forget it.

WAaggieFan

Post by WAaggieFan » March 13th, 2016, 2:21 pm

dyedblue wrote:
WAaggieFan wrote:

Both dialogs have been critical of team/sport/coach performance and all those performances have been disappointing in one way or another to many fans. However, the call to fire Matt Wells is a figment of imagination mistakenly read into the critical dialog because someone responded to criticism with the typical hands throw up of, "what should we do? Fire him? Who'd be better." The call to fire Tim Duryea has been explicitly stated. Along with many lamentations/allegations that he was a consolation hire out of desperation and shouldn't have gotten the job in the first place. Those aspects of the two are pretty different and IMO carry completely different connotations of the critical discussion.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » March 14th, 2016, 12:56 pm

I am sure I would have had fun, but I just didn't feel like going to the tourney to watch the 9th place team.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Formerly TulsAGGIE

GUS

Post by GUS » March 14th, 2016, 2:49 pm

I went and enjoyed it. Even though the Ags were a 9 seed, I knew they were playing their best basketball of the season the last few games and would be competitive. We have too many fair weather fans. Need to be more like New Mexico fans, they came even though their team had sucked during the season.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » March 22nd, 2016, 7:36 pm

Aggieiester wrote:I always find it interesting how many excuses are offered when the level of fan support is poor but no excuse is acceptable when the team performance is poor. If the fan base, the ones who supposedly fund the program are too poor/cheap/fickle to show up in similar numbers to teams in the middle of the league then how do you expect the performance on the floor to be a whole lot different.

USU's support at the tournament should be much better than schools like Boise, Nevada and Fresno, far better tradition (conference championships, NCAA bids, number to 20+ winning seasons etc) and similar to much better recent success. Without question five straight poorish to mediocre seasons have hurt but with USU's history there should be a much larger hard core contingent of fans that travel to conference tournaments (like Wyoming) but it just does not exist.

USU's fan base is similar to SDSU's in one aspect. As long as their team is winning big they will show up otherwise, forget it.
Well said. It's sad to see how most other fan bases travel better than we do and are much louder and involved than we are at the tournament anymore.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Locked Previous topicNext topic