cory calvert

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
aggies1
Pick'em Champ - '20 BB Predict The Score & '20 FB Bowl

cory calvert

Post by aggies1 » December 14th, 2015, 12:17 pm

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8656 ... m-BYU.html

I don't know if we have interest, but Cory Calvery (a one time USU commit and then decommited and went to BYU) is now transferring from BYU. He will have to sit 1 academic year so wouldn't be available to play until december 2016. I think we are pretty set at point guard/shooting guard. We need more size (i.e. wing and C)

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12767

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Re: cory calvert

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » December 14th, 2015, 12:26 pm

Hell no! The dude spurned us once to go to the stench. Let him live with his mistake.

utaggies

Post by utaggies » December 14th, 2015, 12:38 pm

BYU posters have dismissed their interest in signing DC --- maintaining that BYU had no scholarships available. We'll, one just became available.

BRuss804

Post by BRuss804 » December 14th, 2015, 1:10 pm

utaggies wrote:BYU posters have dismissed their interest in signing DC --- maintaining that BYU had no scholarships available. We'll, one just became available.
My understanding is they asked to him to transfer because they were oversubscribed on scholarships for next year. As such, it really doesn't open up a scholly for Collette, but rather just puts them back to 15 = 15.

Pacobag

Post by Pacobag » December 14th, 2015, 1:12 pm

utaggies wrote:BYU posters have dismissed their interest in signing DC --- maintaining that BYU had no scholarships available. We'll, one just became available.
DC for CC? That would be an amazing deal for BYU. I'd pass on Calvert.

utaggies

Post by utaggies » December 14th, 2015, 1:20 pm

BRuss804 wrote:
My understanding is they asked to him to transfer because they were oversubscribed on scholarships for next year. As such, it really doesn't open up a scholly for Collette, but rather just puts them back to 15 = 15.
There is no question that DC would be better than most (all?) of the returning BYU players next year. What's to prevent them from asking one of them to also transfer?

I frankly don't think DC will be playing for BYU. But nothing surprises me anymore.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » December 14th, 2015, 2:22 pm

No room for Calvert here unless he is walking on. We obviously need a Juco big in a major way.

usufan5477
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by usufan5477 » December 14th, 2015, 2:35 pm

Duryea said we are after a juco wing and juco big who can both come in and play right away.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » December 14th, 2015, 4:48 pm

Calvert had his chance to suit up in a Utah State uniform already and he pissed it away. No thank you.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » December 14th, 2015, 5:45 pm

treesap32 wrote:Calvert had his chance to suit up in a Utah State uniform already and he pissed it away. No thank you.

Amen. He chased the lure of the Siren's song, now he can deal with it.

Eutaw St. Aggie

Tetonkatest

Post by Tetonkatest » December 14th, 2015, 10:32 pm

Any word on where this kid is transferring to? Do we need a shooting guard?

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » December 15th, 2015, 9:21 am

Tetonkatest wrote:Any word on where this kid is transferring to? Do we need a shooting guard?
No we do not. And we don't need sloppy seconds from byu, especially after he dogged us to sign there in the first place. It seems like many of you don't remember who this kid is.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » December 15th, 2015, 9:32 am

He would fit in better at New Mexico State. Being able to help NMSU drag down their conference by being unavailable in the OOC schedule. Then coming along in time to help them beat up on their conference mates.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » December 15th, 2015, 10:04 am

GameFAQSAggie wrote:He would fit in better at New Mexico State. Being able to help NMSU drag down their conference by being unavailable in the OOC schedule. Then coming along in time to help them beat up on their conference mates.
GameFAQS for the win!

gomretat

Post by gomretat » December 15th, 2015, 10:52 am

If we were looking for a SG I would be going after Conner Toolson from SLCC. Kid can shoot the rock.

Tetonkatest

Post by Tetonkatest » December 15th, 2015, 11:39 am

aggies22 wrote:
Tetonkatest wrote:Any word on where this kid is transferring to? Do we need a shooting guard?
No we do not. And we don't need sloppy seconds from byu, especially after he dogged us to sign there in the first place. It seems like many of you don't remember who this kid is.
Sloppy seconds?

Why would we care if he played at BYU first?

If we could benefit from him (and I'm not sure we need a SG), I'd take him in a second. We got Leavitt from BYU, so I just don't care if a kid started out there and transferred.

AggieBlues

Post by AggieBlues » December 15th, 2015, 12:54 pm

Tetonkatest wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
Sloppy seconds?

If we could benefit from him (and I'm not sure we need a SG), I'd take him in a second. We got Leavitt from BYU, so I just don't care if a kid started out there and transferred.
Teton, you seem to willfully disregard the points above that he originally intended to play for USU, then ducked that commitment (whatever level that was) and went to play at BYU instead. Can you see how that would torque people off 'round here and not be willing to consider his services again?

That's like lining up a Homecoming date with a cute girl, but another guy asks her out and she cancels your date. Then the other guy drops her and she's available again. Would you ask her out again? If so, she must be dang hot.

But this guy ain't all that.

The amount of energy necessary to refute bull pucky is an order of magnitude greater than to produce it.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » December 15th, 2015, 3:47 pm

AggieBlues wrote:
Tetonkatest wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
Sloppy seconds?

Teton, you seem to willfully disregard the points above that he originally intended to play for USU, then ducked that commitment (whatever level that was) and went to play at BYU instead. Can you see how that would torque people off 'round here and not be willing to consider his services again?

That's like lining up a Homecoming date with a cute girl, but another guy asks her out and she cancels your date. Then the other guy drops her and she's available again. Would you ask her out again? If so, she must be dang hot.

He had a verbal commitment with our staff for several months (maybe even closer to a year) and reneged on it shortly before signing day and signed with BYU.

Tetonkatest

Post by Tetonkatest » December 15th, 2015, 4:05 pm

AggieBlues wrote:
Tetonkatest wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
Sloppy seconds?

Yes, I am willfully disregarding that he committed to USU first out of high school, and then switched his commitment to BYU.

Why would I care about what he did as a 17 year old? Kid is like 22 years old now. That was 5 years ago. Who cares?

I seriously don't care if he was a BYU player. I only care about helping the Aggies.

Now, like I said, I'm not sure if we need a SG or 3 point shooter starting in 2 years, but if we do, I'm not opposed to offering him. He was the Colorado player of the year out of high school. I'm not sure how good he is, but wouldn't reject him automatically.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » December 15th, 2015, 4:15 pm

Tetonkatest wrote:
AggieBlues wrote:
Tetonkatest wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
Sloppy seconds?

Yes, I am willfully disregarding that he committed to USU first out of high school, and then switched his commitment to BYU.

Why would I care about what he did as a 17 year old? Kid is like 22 years old now. That was 5 years ago. Who cares?

I seriously don't care if he was a BYU player. I only care about helping the Aggies.

Now, like I said, I'm not sure if we need a SG or 3 point shooter starting in 2 years, but if we do, I'm not opposed to offering him. He was the Colorado player of the year out of high school. I'm not sure how good he is, but wouldn't reject him automatically.
He hasn't looked good, and hasn't been able to earn minutes many meaningful on the BYU team the last couple years.

He already screwed over our staff once.

I wouldn't offer. Call me vindictive... No big loss.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » December 15th, 2015, 5:16 pm

Sounds like he's not a good player anyways, but on the other hand, it would be extremely juvenile and stupid to cut off your nose to spite your face.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » December 15th, 2015, 5:21 pm

I believe BYU has taken some of our sloppy seconds and beaten us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » December 15th, 2015, 6:54 pm

2004AG wrote:Sounds like he's not a good player anyways, but on the other hand, it would be extremely juvenile and stupid to cut off your nose to spite your face.
The first hand is more important than the second hand. He's not even good. It's a non-issue.

UtahStizzle

Post by UtahStizzle » December 22nd, 2015, 7:00 pm

treesap32 wrote:
AggieBlues wrote:
Tetonkatest wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
Sloppy seconds?

He had a verbal commitment with our staff for several months (maybe even closer to a year) and reneged on it shortly before signing day and signed with BYU.
Dave Rose - 'Cory, the Lord needs you here'.
Cory - 'I'm in!'

Half a season transpires.

Dave Rose - 'Cory, the Lord changed his mind and needs you to leave the team to make room for better players.'

Twitter: UtahStizzle

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » December 22nd, 2015, 7:32 pm

UtahStizzle wrote:
treesap32 wrote:
AggieBlues wrote:
Tetonkatest wrote:
aggies22 wrote:
Sloppy seconds?

Dave Rose - 'Cory, the Lord needs you here'.
Cory - 'I'm in!'

Dave Rose - 'Cory, the Lord changed his mind and needs you to leave the team to make room for better players.'
LMAO

LKGates

Post by LKGates » December 23rd, 2015, 10:12 am

UtahStizzle wrote:Dave Rose - 'Cory, the Lord needs you here'.
Cory - 'I'm in!'

:lol: :notworthy: :lol: :notworthy: :lol: :notworthy:

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

FuzzyDunlop
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by FuzzyDunlop » December 23rd, 2015, 11:21 am

Why would Duryea even consider Calvert who couldn't get any minutes at BYU? It makes no sense. It makes no sense to give a scholarship to a player of that level if we want to compete for a MW title. We have enough players on our roster right now who couldn't get any minutes at BYU and that ain't workin' out too well.

Tetonkatest

Post by Tetonkatest » December 23rd, 2015, 11:53 am

FuzzyDunlop wrote:Why would Duryea even consider Calvert who couldn't get any minutes at BYU? It makes no sense. It makes no sense to give a scholarship to a player of that level if we want to compete for a MW title. We have enough players on our roster right now who couldn't get any minutes at BYU and that ain't workin' out too well.
Well, mainly because if the kid is a decent shooter, we could use outside shooting help.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » December 23rd, 2015, 12:24 pm

Tetonkatest wrote:
FuzzyDunlop wrote:Why would Duryea even consider Calvert who couldn't get any minutes at BYU? It makes no sense. It makes no sense to give a scholarship to a player of that level if we want to compete for a MW title. We have enough players on our roster right now who couldn't get any minutes at BYU and that ain't workin' out too well.
Well, mainly because if the kid is a decent shooter, we could use outside shooting help.
Answers:

Q: Why would Duryea even consider Calvert who couldn't get any minutes at BYU?
A: He won't.

Q: Well, mainly because if the kid is a decent shooter, we could use outside shooting help.
A: He isn't. He's shooting exactly 25% from 3 point range and 25% from 2 point range for his career.

Nothing to see here folks...

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » December 23rd, 2015, 3:04 pm

Frankly, we should be glad he reneged on his original commitment. He just isn't very good.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Formerly TulsAGGIE

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » December 23rd, 2015, 3:13 pm

Mr. Sneelock wrote:Frankly, we should be glad he reneged on his original commitment. He just isn't very good.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Agreed. Although the guys that replaced him in our recruiting class that year didn't really prove to be good either so....

Jjoey52

Post by Jjoey52 » December 23rd, 2015, 11:25 pm

Sounds like UVU for him

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle

Locked Previous topicNext topic