These 20 Teams Spend the Most on College Basketball

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
JasonJensen
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by JasonJensen » January 17th, 2012, 9:31 pm

AggieSports
RIP

Re: These 20 Teams Spend the Most on College Basketball

Post by AggieSports » January 17th, 2012, 9:41 pm

Tell me if I counted wrong but 6 of those teams are teams Stew had to face and lost too in the NCAA's. Wow...I wonder where USU would rank on that list....

IMO

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » January 17th, 2012, 10:05 pm

Didn't expect to see Alabama on that list. Nobody gives a crap about basketball in this state.

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » January 17th, 2012, 10:26 pm

AggieSports wrote:Tell me if I counted wrong but 6 of those teams are teams Stew had to face and lost too in the NCAA's. Wow...I wonder where USU would rank on that list....
I only counted 5: UCLA, Washington, Texas A&M, Marquette, and Arizona (Maryland was under Eustachy, IIRC)

Nobody here knows anything.

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » January 17th, 2012, 10:33 pm

AggieSports wrote:Tell me if I counted wrong but 6 of those teams are teams Stew had to face and lost too in the NCAA's. Wow...I wonder where USU would rank on that list....

USU spends 19 million on all their athletics. i dont know what it is just for bball.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/ ... nances.htm

AggieSports
RIP

Post by AggieSports » January 17th, 2012, 10:39 pm

OKAggie wrote:
I only counted 5: UCLA, Washington, Texas A&M, Marquette, and Arizona (Maryland was under Eustachy, IIRC)

You nailed it OKAggie!

IMO

lcrasmus

Post by lcrasmus » January 18th, 2012, 12:11 am

Kind of really forces things into perspective. The Midmajority reports that redline upsets only occur 15% of the time... We've faced teams with MUCH more money to pour into their sports programs than we do, and though we haven't won, we've proved we're on at least semi-equal footing with many of them. I still find it kind of crazy that people think we should be able to instantly overcome that handicap simply by trying harder. Its going to take time, effort, and a lot of stars aligning. Though I think that we may see some major alignment going on here in the near future...

SeattleAg

Post by SeattleAg » January 18th, 2012, 12:23 am

lcrasmus wrote:Kind of really forces things into perspective. The Midmajority reports that redline upsets only occur 15% of the time... We've faced teams with MUCH more money to pour into their sports programs than we do, and though we haven't won, we've proved we're on at least semi-equal footing with many of them. I still find it kind of crazy that people think we should be able to instantly overcome that handicap simply by trying harder. Its going to take time, effort, and a lot of stars aligning. Though I think that we may see some major alignment going on here in the near future...
I am reminded of a March Madness chat where a bunch of people complained about the top seeds winning, then someone chimed in with, "Wait, are we ranting because unexpected and shocking upsets didn't happen all over the place?" I would be more worried if we kept getting bounced in the first round by Bucknell or something.

pablohoney

Post by pablohoney » January 18th, 2012, 11:55 am

Based on articles like this one can conclude that USU basketball has one of the greatest ROIs in the country. But we don't run and gun like UNLV...

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » January 18th, 2012, 12:31 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:

USU spends 19 million on all their athletics. i dont know what it is just for bball.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/ ... nances.htm
Well according to USU, they have an operating budget of $5,279,537 on men's varsity sports, $3,463,340 on women's varsity sports for a total operating budget of $8,742,877. (Page 11 of this link.) The entire budget for 2010-2011 was $19,974,621.

http://www.usu.edu/fsenate/FS/2011-2012 ... 5_2011.pdf

They used to break it out by sport, but didn't do that this year. However, a few years ago it was listed as approximately 4% of the budget was used for men's BB. (Page 6 of this link.)

http://www.usu.edu/fsenate/Archives/Rep ... 7Jan05.pdf

If it were 4% of today's budget it would be $910,651. This doesn't include coaching salaries. If that were added in the total budget for USU basketball would be $1,519,777. (Including assistant coaches)

I don't know if this article is adding coaching salaries, but my guess is they are since Rick Pitino makes $7.5 million per year and Louisville's budget around $13 million. I ran a few salaries of the coaches through this and taking out the Head Coach's salary put them between $4-6 million in operating expenses.

This is all just a forecast, but my guess is that USU spends about $2 million per year on Basketball expenses cited in this article.

GUS

Post by GUS » January 18th, 2012, 12:43 pm

This is all just a forecast, but my guess is that USU spends about $2 million per year on Basketball expenses cited in this article.

If you pull coaches salaries out of that amount it doesn't allow much to be paid to visiting teams. No wonder USU can't get many teams to come to the Spectrum.

Chupamedia

Post by Chupamedia » January 18th, 2012, 1:11 pm

pablohoney wrote:Based on articles like this one can conclude that USU basketball has one of the greatest ROIs in the country. But we don't run and gun like UNLV...
I would actually like to see that number. My guess is our ROI isn't actually all that great due to the size of our facility and the ceiling we can earn in revenue. Do these numbers include scholarships? Louisville is getting a great ROI.

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » January 18th, 2012, 2:14 pm

Chupamedia wrote:
pablohoney wrote:Based on articles like this one can conclude that USU basketball has one of the greatest ROIs in the country. But we don't run and gun like UNLV...
I would actually like to see that number. My guess is our ROI isn't actually all that great due to the size of our facility and the ceiling we can earn in revenue. Do these numbers include scholarships? Louisville is getting a great ROI.
It actually lists the revenue in the link I provided from USU, just not the expenses. Last year USU had $949,111 in basketball related revenue. If what I surmised to be the operating budget for BB, than they basically broke even. This, of course is likely just ticket revenue, and possibly concessions. There are seperate lines there for sponsorships, TV, NCAA revenues, and conference revenues.

It is always difficult to classify value amongst universities, because each one audits themselves differently.

Locked Previous topicNext topic