NAR: NMSU schedule released

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Mr. Sneelock

NAR: NMSU schedule released

Post by Mr. Sneelock » July 22nd, 2011, 10:25 am

They shouldn't be giving us any crap this year. Nice get on Arizona at home, though.

at Northern Colorado
at New Mexico
UTEP
Central Michigan
UC Irvine/Southern Miss
TBD
Arizona
at Southern Miss
at UTEP
Western New Mexico
Southern
McNeese State
New Mexico
Arkansas-Pine Bluff
Cal State Bakersfield
North New Mexico
ESPNU BracketBuster

Nevada fans always like to crack on our schedule. I haven't seen theirs yet, though.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

dancingNMSUaggie
Has thanked: 0

Re: NAR: NMSU schedule released

Post by dancingNMSUaggie » July 22nd, 2011, 11:13 am

I like the Utah State like OCC schedule. We have had a brutal non-conference schedule the past couple of years and it has killed us. Until we can become consistent winners we should schedule like you guys do. Our traditional rival games are good like yours with Weber State, BYU and Utah and then throw in one BCS conference school and sprinkle it with the Western Oregons and Northern New Mexico's. Perhaps Coach Menzies is taking a page out of the Stew Morrill scheduling book! ;) The point is, unlike many fans I think scheduling the way Utah State has over the past couple of years is smart. Boise State does the same thing with it's football scheduling!

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » July 22nd, 2011, 11:31 am

dancingNMSUaggie wrote:I like the Utah State like OCC schedule. We have had a brutal non-conference schedule the past couple of years and it has killed us. Until we can become consistent winners we should schedule like you guys do. Our traditional rival games are good like yours with Weber State, BYU and Utah and then throw in one BCS conference school and sprinkle it with the Western Oregons and Northern New Mexico's. Perhaps Coach Menzies is taking a page out of the Stew Morrill scheduling book! ;) The point is, unlike many fans I think scheduling the way Utah State has over the past couple of years is smart. Boise State does the same thing with it's football scheduling!
I actually have no problems with NMSU's schedule this year, and think it is fine. I was just taking a jab at all those who criticize our schedule every year. Hopefully NMSU can win most of those OOC games.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

Aggiefan33

Post by Aggiefan33 » July 22nd, 2011, 12:16 pm

I like that they get home and home with their rivals in the same year.

The harder you work, the harder it is to Surrender. - Men's Basketball locker room

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » July 22nd, 2011, 12:26 pm

I too like that. I would love to see us returning to play Weber, BYU, and Utah twice a year. Except for the fact none of those schools wants to come to Logan, it would sure make OOC scheduling easier.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » July 22nd, 2011, 12:54 pm

That would be nice. I would like to do in-season home and home with BYU, Weber, and Utah, while doing alternating season home and home with UVU and SUU (one home, one away every year). That way we are treating everyone fairly, they are treating us fairly, we play everyone home and home, and we would have 8 OOC games already scheduled every year. Throw in the bracketbuster, one BCS conference team (besides Utah), a couple of cupcakes, and 2-3 quality mid majors, and you would have a great schedule.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

AggieAthletics
Been thanked: 0

Post by AggieAthletics » July 22nd, 2011, 1:34 pm

This is a schedule that can set NMSU up pretty. I like it. Arizona is a great get. Is that game the end of a home and home? Did the Red Aggies play @ Arizona last year? If NMSU can go 3-2 vs. Arizona, Utep(2) and New Mexico(2) they are going to have a much better RPI than the past few years, IMO. Thumbs up from me Raggies.

MarioWest

Post by MarioWest » July 22nd, 2011, 3:54 pm

Mr. Sneelock wrote: Western New Mexico
Isn't that where Frank coaches? Who's he going to root for? :lol:

On a serious note, I love the home-and-home every year with UNM and UTEP. I wish USU would play Utah and BYU home and home every year. Heck, I wouldn't even mind a home-and-home with Weber every year, at least as long as Rahe has that program doing well.

cdaAg

Post by cdaAg » July 22nd, 2011, 8:21 pm

Isn't that where Frank coaches? Who's he going to root for?
I don't know for whom he'll hope wins, but with his projected scoring averages for each team, we can expect the final score to be something like 174 - 168.

NibleyAg

Post by NibleyAg » July 22nd, 2011, 9:44 pm

cdaAg wrote:
Isn't that where Frank coaches? Who's he going to root for?
I don't know for whom he'll hope wins, but with his projected scoring averages for each team, we can expect the final score to be something like 174 - 168.
I just lost an ice-cube. That was HILARIOUS! :lol:

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » July 22nd, 2011, 10:31 pm

I found it!

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » July 22nd, 2011, 10:55 pm

Playing the Lobos twice is pretty good too... The Pit is nuts.

UtahStizzle

Post by UtahStizzle » July 24th, 2011, 6:47 am

UTEP
Arizona
New Mexico
@New Mexico
@Southern Miss (CUSA and good last year)
Bracketbuster

That's not too bad at all. Add in a bunch of gimme games and NSMU could go places if they perform.

Twitter: UtahStizzle

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » July 26th, 2011, 6:48 am

UtahStizzle wrote:UTEP
Arizona
New Mexico
@New Mexico
@Southern Miss (CUSA and good last year)
Bracketbuster

That's not too bad at all. Add in a bunch of gimme games and NSMU could go places if they perform.
This has always been the qualifier with NMSU.

wacfan08

Post by wacfan08 » July 26th, 2011, 8:15 pm

Now more than ever most teams in the WAC need to worry about wins not SOS. USU is the one team that needs to worry about both. But until the WAC can finish a OOC with .650 or .700 winning % Then I am ok with everyone doing a schedule like this. They have some give me's and they have some mid level games .. and a chance to get a good win or 2. Sounds like what most teams in the WAC should do. La Tech needs to follow this same plan.

USUinventedswagger
Been thanked: 0

Post by USUinventedswagger » July 30th, 2011, 9:48 pm

Was last year's NMSU schedule any tougher? Seems like they played the same type of schedule. NM twice, Utep twice, and Arizona. I think St Mary's might've been thrown in, but it isn't like the schedule was elite last year either.

The limitation of tyrants is the endurance of those they oppose. – Frederick Douglass

Riburn3

Post by Riburn3 » July 30th, 2011, 10:45 pm

Also played USC. I guess the what killed NMSU last year was playing at Arizona then having to travel to Boston to play a game two days later against UMASS and then follow that up against USC the following night. Two days after USC crushed us we were all the way back in Las Cruces for a game against UTEP. 4 games in 6 nights against respectable teams featuring two cross country trips deflated us and pretty much set the tone for the remainder of the season. Throw in losing our on the floor leader in Big Wen and you have the answer.

The big difference in IMHO with this new schedule is our toughest challenge will be UofA and we get them at home. More importantly, timing of games is much more improved, and there are a few more fluff games thrown in. Getting several week breaks between our home and home rivalry games with UNM and UTEP will be refreshing versus last year when we threw them into a 4 games back to back chunk. I wouldn't be surprised if we have the best start we have had since Theus' last year at the helm.

Locked Previous topicNext topic