Mistake to not play Jaycee at PG?

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Ingrid Cold

Mistake to not play Jaycee at PG?

Post by Ingrid Cold » June 15th, 2011, 1:38 pm

All this Jimmer mania BS has me wondering if Jaycee would have had shot at the NBA if Morrill had forced him to play the PG position. Both players could shoot and score but seem to lack true PG skills. The only difference seems to be that Jimmer had 4 years of college to develop as a PG. Things didn't turn out too bad for Jaycee, near 7 figure income, playing hoops in the Mediterranean.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Re: Mistake to not play Jaycee at PG?

Post by brownjeans » June 15th, 2011, 2:21 pm

Jaycee has had a number of years outside USU to develop PG skills and is still playing SG. I think Stew was right to play him at SG and guys in Spain are right to play him at SG. The NBA was wrong to try to play him at PG.

While I'm sure Jaycee would have developed into a decent college PG, I don't think he ever would have developed into an NBA PG. The NBA should have just let him play SG. Even at 6'2" he could give an NBA team 10 to 15 minutes of good offense from the SG position. Maybe more if he was on a team with a big (6'4" or bigger) PG.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » June 15th, 2011, 2:24 pm

Jason Terry is 6-2 and no one complains about his lack of height. I am more than convinced that if Jaycee was horse of a different color and was younger when he was done with college he would contribute in the NBA.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » June 15th, 2011, 2:57 pm

dyedblue wrote:Jason Terry is 6-2 and no one complains about his lack of height. I am more than convinced that if Jaycee was horse of a different color and was younger when he was done with college he would contribute in the NBA.

or if Jimmer went on a mission, he'd probably be in the same boat as Jaycee was in terms of willingness to invest in a 24/25 year old white kid who isn't overly tall, doesn't have lightning speed, or mad hops.

Empire of Dirt

Post by Empire of Dirt » June 15th, 2011, 3:06 pm

Yes, I think it was a huge mistake. Who knows, maybe he could have been one of the all time Aggie greats... Oh wait...

"If you are not an Aggie Fan you are a complete loser." -Kyle Gunther

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » June 15th, 2011, 4:35 pm

Ingrid Cold wrote:All this Jimmer mania BS has me wondering if Jaycee would have had shot at the NBA if Morrill had forced him to play the PG position. Both players could shoot and score but seem to lack true PG skills. The only difference seems to be that Jimmer had 4 years of college to develop as a PG. Things didn't turn out too bad for Jaycee, near 7 figure income, playing hoops in the Mediterranean.
If the reports are correct, Jaycee will be making over 1 million euros next year which equates to approximately $1,420,000. Likely playing for either Barcelona or Real Madrid (widely considered as two of the strongest teams in Europe).

That salary easily makes the 7-figure cut.

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos » June 15th, 2011, 4:49 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
dyedblue wrote:Jason Terry is 6-2 and no one complains about his lack of height. I am more than convinced that if Jaycee was horse of a different color and was younger when he was done with college he would contribute in the NBA.

or if Jimmer went on a mission, he'd probably be in the same boat as Jaycee was in terms of willingness to invest in a 24/25 year old white kid who isn't overly tall, doesn't have lightning speed, or mad hops.
This ^^^^ but Jaycee really has the upper hand because he already knew a foriegn language, Jimmer will have to learn one in 2 years.

AbsoluteAggie

Post by AbsoluteAggie » June 16th, 2011, 11:23 am

NO, NO, NO. I am the first to say Jaycee should have gotten a shot at a 2 in the NBA. But his game was like watching Ray Allen, or Rip Hamilton, run your guy ragged and knock down open shots. Jaycee could not create off the dribble, if you watched the breakdown that Magic did about Lebron and Dewayne and called them "windup players", Jaycee never was and won't ever be a wind up player. The guy is making bank at the Euro level, and he will stay there, besides it seems that bball is only getting better overseas and starting to dwindle here in the US

BearLakeMonster

Post by BearLakeMonster » June 16th, 2011, 12:10 pm

Didn't we have this exact same conversation like 3 years ago?

"The evil I can tolerate. But the stupidity... Just knowing we're in the same genus makes me embarrassed to call myself homo!"

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos » June 17th, 2011, 12:23 pm

Here's a new twist... Do you guys think- If JC had been at the right place at the right time entering into the NBA draft projected in the lottery- do you think A LOT of aggie fans would think JC is going to win an NBA scoring title, transcend the NBA, and be the greatest player of all time? Like Jimmer's countless homers?

brian5562

Post by brian5562 » June 17th, 2011, 3:26 pm

In regards for doing what would've been best for Jaycee's basketball career it was a mistake. Cardell Butler should've played some pg as well. Spencer Nelson shoul've played the 3 same with Penigar. Stew's job is to win games and if he felt moving those guys would hinder that then that is his choice.

My personal opinion is it would do just as much if not more for the program if those players would have been put in the best position possible to have an NBA career.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » June 17th, 2011, 4:00 pm

CaptainChaos wrote:Here's a new twist... Do you guys think- If JC had been at the right place at the right time entering into the NBA draft projected in the lottery- do you think A LOT of aggie fans would think JC is going to win an NBA scoring title, transcend the NBA, and be the greatest player of all time? Like Jimmer's countless homers?
No one anywhere is as delusional as BYU's fans.

Locked Previous topicNext topic